HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

SOB back to Nashville?

Old
12-27-2011, 08:38 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
SOB back to Nashville?

I missed the game last night due to work but word over at otf is that Pete & Terry mentioned Poile making a move for a dman when the trade freeze is lifted. It's also been mentioned they talked with the locker room and the players were excited about bringing him back. What gives? I figured this place would be going nuts over this sort of news. Did this happen or not?

I would love it though.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:19 AM
RaiderDoug

It was mentioned by Pete and Terry on the broadcast, but it seemed to me it was more along the lines of idle spectulation of a reaction to Weber being out any significant length of time. JMHO.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I missed the game last night due to work but word over at otf is that Pete & Terry mentioned Poile making a move for a dman when the trade freeze is lifted. It's also been mentioned they talked with the locker room and the players were excited about bringing him back. What gives? I figured this place would be going nuts over this sort of news. Did this happen or not?

I would love it though.
Pete and Terry said that Poile acknowledged that he might have to trade for a physical defenseman in anticipation of Webers absence. The comment on SOB was pure speculation on P&Ts part, saying that they thought if the players were polled they would want SOB back. Terry then said he would want SOB back.

My gut is if there is anyone else available that we dont trade for SOB, but if Poile knows Weber is going to be out a while, he needs to get off the dump and make a move.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:49 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I thought it was Mark Howard who said something along the lines of "if you asked around the room, they'd love to have him back" after mentioning SOB as a possible trade target.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
pekkaslap

cue the "scoreboard" .gif , lol.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Yes please take him back. I'd give a buy one get one free with SOB and Ryan O'Byrne if Colorado could get Josi back or even a usable 3rd liner.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:54 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Yes please take him back. I'd give a buy one get one free with SOB and Ryan O'Byrne if Colorado could get Josi back or even a usable 3rd liner.
And this comment is exactly why I'd pass on the trade. I'll bet it has something to do with stupid penalties. We're already struggling with our PK, so let's add another 2 penalties a game to kill off. That should help with the porous defense. No thanks.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I am sure Colorado would give us SOB for Roman Josi......but why, would Poile in his right mind give up that asset for that penalty machine? SOB took something like 6 penalties that were scored on in a row in the playoffs against Anaheim.

12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I am sure Colorado would give us SOB for Roman Josi......but why, would Poile in his right mind give up that asset for that penalty machine? SOB took something like 6 penalties that were scored on in a row in the playoffs against Anaheim.
And when Trotz called him on it he stopped taking those penalties. I don't think he's the answer for us at this point but we need someone of his ilk. Someone that's going to clear the crease and give the guys in front of Rinne something to think about, kind of like what happens to Hornqvist all the time.

I think it's funny that so many are concerned with all the penalties he takes but with him last year, our D and PK were pretty good overall and he was one of the reasons it was effective. As excited as I was at the prospect of all our young kids playing well, it has been somewhat of a disappointment because we don't have any size to push anyone off the puck in the D zone and it's killing us. Positioning works if you're as good as Suter but until the young ones can play at the NHL level with effectiveness, we're going to see this happen to us every night for a while. Growing pains suck unless we can get some guys who can move the puck effectively, much like Ellis did last night.

And there is no reason to give up Josi for much at this point. He's the real deal on D.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
No way we let go of Josi for SOB. Remember, SOB is on a 1 year deal I believe for cheap. He won't cost us much if we go after him.

Old
12-27-2011, 06:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

no thanks....

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I thought it was Mark Howard who said something along the lines of "if you asked around the room, they'd love to have him back" after mentioning SOB as a possible trade target.
It was Mark Howard who made the comment. I believe after an on-the-bench interview with Hillen.

Quote:
No thanks.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And when Trotz called him on it he stopped taking those penalties.

And there is no reason to give up Josi for much at this point. He's the real deal on D.
I agree with the bolded. And yet, it still almost cost us that series. I will also agree with the premise that he will not hurt this team if he comes back. My post was more to point out your final point - Josi is the real deal. You don't ditch him for SOB. You give up draft picks or B prospects for SOB. You do not give up blue-chippers who are ready to shine at the NHL level right now.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:08 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I would love to have him back! His energy with every game was awesome to watch. Not bad at his position either.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:38 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
yes please.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:57 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
And this comment is exactly why I'd pass on the trade. I'll bet it has something to do with stupid penalties. We're already struggling with our PK, so let's add another 2 penalties a game to kill off. That should help with the porous defense. No thanks.
Not really. O'Brien has been fine, but he's being overplayed because the Avalanche have a glut of bottom pairing defensemen. The problem is that he thinks he's a little better than he actually is at times with the puck; his occasional delusions of being an offensive superstar are nothing new to you guys, I'm sure. I'd like the Avalanche to keep O'Brien and trade someone like O'Byrne instead (for whatever he would return and I don't have any particular team in mind when stating this).

As for the Avalanche getting Josi in return, it doesn't even bear comment.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:00 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Not really. O'Brien has been fine, but he's being overplayed because the Avalanche have a glut of bottom pairing defensemen. The problem is that he thinks he's a little better than he actually is at times with the puck; his occasional delusions of being an offensive superstar are nothing new to you guys, I'm sure. I'd like the Avalanche to keep O'Brien and trade someone like O'Byrne instead (for whatever he would return and I don't have any particular team in mind when stating this).

As for the Avalanche getting Josi in return, it doesn't even bear comment.
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could take that comment seriously

On your other comment about O'Brien thinking he is better than he really is, yes we all know that. However, he was great for our PK and standing up teammates in the crease. It sucks that we will have to give up something for him when we could've just re-signed him.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Yes, but he was one of the reasons our pk was so strong last year. I think the positives outweigh the negatives with him, even if by only a little.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

You want Josi for O'Brien? Keep him, he's yours. Obviously you don't know who Josi is. Giving me an early morning heart attack here

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

Hell No!

Are you serious? SOB plays like Erat did 3 years ago. Dumb.

Suter is ***** without Shea back there and now we send Geoffrion down....yikes.

Bourque better be on point tonight as we need some fire from our forwards (why not bring up Beck?). Smithson is a damn waste of space and it sucks seeing Sullivan, Franson, O'Reilly, Fiddler et allactually helping their teams while we don't see hardly anything out of Hornqvist, Fisher, Kosti...

Makes me want to throw up like when we sent Zanon away

cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Yes, but he was one of the reasons our pk was so strong last year. I think the positives outweigh the negatives with him, even if by only a little.
Then explain the strong PK for years before SOB.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
token grinder

Quote:
duh. pure luck.

token grinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:42 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Brent Peterson behind the bench... I really think that has been the BIG difference in the PK this season. The d-men look like they are thinking/trying too much and the forwards too quick on making a change. This leads me to point towards a new assistant coach as the difference. I think it all can be corrected w/ current personnel but they all have to buy in and keep things simple; but it would be nice to get an SOB-type of player back. There are so many things that I watch that are so close; but they just get that mental lapse everyone that is under 25 seems to get in any profession that causes them to fail. Unless someone comes to us cheap, I see no reason not to press on with the guys we have and let them sink or swim. If they keep on thinking instead of playing on instinct, nobody we could bring in would help.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:49 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Brent Peterson behind the bench... I really think that has been the BIG difference in the PK this season. The d-men look like they are thinking/trying too much and the forwards too quick on making a change. This leads me to point towards a new assistant coach as the difference. I think it all can be corrected w/ current personnel but they all have to buy in and keep things simple; but it would be nice to get an SOB-type of player back. There are so many things that I watch that are so close; but they just get that mental lapse everyone that is under 25 seems to get in any profession that causes them to fail. Unless someone comes to us cheap, I see no reason not to press on with the guys we have and let them sink or swim. If they keep on thinking instead of playing on instinct, nobody we could bring in would help.
So if it's the absence of Peterson then last year's success wasn't the result of SOB. We have a tendency around here to fixate on nameplates rather than skillsets. We need a physical d-man, we don't need SOB.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:19 PM
roseyc

Quote:
So if it's the absence of Peterson then last year's success wasn't the result of SOB. We have a tendency around here to fixate on nameplates rather than skillsets. We need a physical d-man, we don't need SOB.
yeah but the pkg you want cost more money plus picks/players. Do you know of anyone that fits that mode? That type of Dman is in high demand

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote