HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: So much for tanking - Habs beat Sens 6-2

Old
12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
no it showed that a guy who is prone to head injuries is ready to go to battle to defend himself and his teammates. you know, inject a bit of emotion and 'battle' into a team that has been completely bereft of it. clearly you've never played hockey, but keep being a smart-ass.
yeah, cause you know what it's like to be a NHL player, right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well that's nice. The Habs were outshot 5-13 in the first, and the possession numbers were about as bad. For a team that got a spark, they sure didn't show it much.

MaxPac igniting the team is a nice story, but it's exactly that: a story. The Habs didn't really play better than they usually do, but Anderson let some goals in. 3 on 5 shots, actually.

I'm sure the team appreciated the gesture, but calling it a turning point stretches credulity.
they scored 4 goals in the next 18 minutes including 2 within 5-8 mins after the fight. they are 4-2-1 when they fight. 10/14 teams in lead for fighting majors are all in the playoffs tonight. i'll stick with the points that stretch credulity.
bu i do agree anderson was bad

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:42 PM
MathMan

Quote:
they scored 4 goals in the next 18 minutes including 2 within 5-8 mins after the fight.
On how many shots? Nine?

They scored goals because Anderson sucked. Not because MaxPac sparked them. The Sens' goalies were ungodly bad.

But everytime a team fights and does something good after, it gets credited to the fight. This is why this myth keeps getting life.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
yeah, cause you know what it's like to be a NHL player, right ?
i know what it's like to play contact team sports - as i've played them at a relatively high level and work in media, having made films on professional athletes in hockey and boxing (and Olympic athletes) so yes i know what i'm talking about when it comes to the psychology of pro athletes, momentum and team building

Old
12-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I still want a top 3 pick.
Rest assured Gauthier will fck that up before he's fired.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Emelin was so close to nailing (insert player).

Who's the Habs fan that gets $500 when Cole hits 15 goals?
It was me. I gave the guy 3 to 1 odds too, by his request, on something he guaranteed in that same thread, and he still backed out.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
On how many shots?

They scored goals because Anderson sucked. Not because MaxPac sparked them. The Sens' goalies were ungodly bad.

But everytime a team fights and does something good after, it gets credited to the fight. This is why this myth keeps getting life.
i'm not specifically talking about the fight. i'm talking about a team, the habs which is regularly intimidated, that plays a soft peripheral game showing some grit and emotion at a moment it was needed. and all of that, coalesced to create a spark. that's what i'm talking about.

so you might be all upset because a myth seems to be perpetuated but i'm waiting to hear how the habs should be playing aside from waiting for a goalie to suck..

and again this controversial 'spark' you dismiss? that's just your opinion, your conceit. we all have opinions.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
i know what it's like to play contact team sports - as i've played them at a relatively high level and work in media, having made films on professional athletes in hockey and boxing (and Olympic athletes) so yes i know what i'm talking about when it comes to the psychology of pro athletes, momentum and team building
sure... good on you... although I doubt "relatively high" and best league in the world are similar in any way...

I mean, I played midget B a long time ago... I must know a whole lot on the matter right ?

Old
12-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think it's waffledave but other guy backed out.
WTF, you can't back out of a bet because you're going to lose, that's not how things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It was me. I gave the guy 3 to 1 odds too, by his request, on something he guaranteed in that same thread, and he still backed out.
Oh he backed out before you actually closed the deal? Last I saw from that thread he was still going with his prediction.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:48 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
i'm not specifically talking about the fight. i'm talking about a team, the habs which is regularly intimidated, that plays a soft peripheral game showing some grit and emotion at a moment it was needed. and all of that, coalesced to create a spark. that's what i'm talking about.

so you might be all upset because a myth seems to be perpetuated but i'm waiting to hear how the habs should be playing aside from waiting for a goalie to suck

just so you remember, we're talking about a fight where MAYBE one punch landed...

Old
12-27-2011, 09:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Familiar sort of narrative, the kind that sounds nice and dramatic but doesn't really relate to reality all that well. You said you were a media type, so I don't blame you; it comes with the territory and with the training. You guys need to be telling engaging stories -- NOT analyzing games.

The team played little different than they have been, except the puck went in. It's just a continuation. The problem isn't about being soft or perimeter, the problem is about not having the horses. But sometimes you get lucky.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
sure... good on you... although I doubt "relatively high" and best league in the world are similar in any way...

I mean, I played midget B a long time ago... I must know a whole lot on the matter right ?
actually played midget triple A and cegept who ****ing cares right? you dismissed the second part of my post. you can try to delegitimize it like you've done in the language debates here but it's my opinion and its no less informed than yours.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

FIRE CU--- wait... ummm... tank?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
actually played midget triple A and cegept who ****ing cares right? you dismissed the second part of my post. you can try to delegitimize it like you've done in the language debates here but it's my opinion and its no less informed than yours.
wrong. it is less informed.

Old
MathMan

Quote:
just so you remember, we're talking about a fight where MAYBE one punch landed...
For the fight backers, it's the principle of the thing. It's the willingness that is important.

Nevermind that for every fight that sparks a team, there's another team that collapses. Let me try another narrative on for size:

Brian Lee foolishly decided to fight Max Pacioretty in a game his team seemed to be doing quite well in. This decision demoralized Ottawa and gave momentum to the other club, causing their defense to collapse and the opponents to quickly take an unsurmountable lead. All because Lee chose to fight at the wrong time.

Clearly, fighting is a foolish mistake that hurts your team, and should not be done.

Old
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

What a show. Not just signs of the life, full on execution.

#JeSuisTresContent

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I still want a top 3 pick.
Then cheer for the Islanders and while you're at it ask the Isles fans how well that's worked out for them the last umteen years

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Familiar sort of narrative, the kind that sounds nice and dramatic but doesn't really relate to reality all that well. You said you were a media type, so I don't blame you; it comes with the territory and with the training. You guys need to be telling engaging stories -- NOT analyzing games.

The team played little different than they have been, except the puck went in. It's just a continuation. The problem isn't about being soft or perimeter, the problem is about not having the horses. But sometimes you get lucky.

documentary isn't media but how would you know? i don't 'report' on the habs. i could just as well read your post and dismiss it as someone who knows nothing about hockey and lives in a fantasy world about strategy and structure and then i wouldn't blame you either. anyway we'll have to agree to disagree but in my opinion it is all about horses and soft perimeter play much more than 'luck'. luck doesn't win Stanley cups

Old
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
wrong. it is less informed.
says you, the decision maker on informed opinions. it must be lonely in life with such an extraordinary intellect that is never wrong.
i'll keep that in mind. thank you

Old
12-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I know you truly believe what you write, but good time and many lives have been wasted simply doing the same thing over and over again waiting for "luck" to change.

Lots of change is needed in Montreal. LOTS.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:56 PM
MathMan

Quote:
documentary isn't media but how would you know?
Because you said's so right here: (emphasis mine)

Quote:
i know what it's like to play contact team sports - as i've played them at a relatively high level and work in media
Quote:
luck doesn't win Stanley cups
Never has a Stanley Cup been won without it.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
WTF, you can't back out of a bet because you're going to lose, that's not how things work.

Oh he backed out before you actually closed the deal? Last I saw from that thread he was still going with his prediction.
No he backed out after accepting the deal. The bet was on, there were witnesses. Then the next day he claimed he was joking the whole time.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Lots of change is needed in Montreal. LOTS.
Yeah, they need a #1 D-man, a good puck-possession center, and a solid two-way RW with a complete game and lots of energy.

And a competent coach wouldn't hurt. Although they had that and decided to make changes where they weren't needed.

Old
12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Because you said's so right here: (emphasis mine)

Never has a Stanley Cup been won without it.
guess i should've been specific immediately so you wouldn't generalize.
i still think size, tactics, team-make up and strategy is far, far more important than luck

Old
12-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Habs

Uh, not sure what game some of you were watching but any other goaltender on both ends and we lose this one.

Anderson sucked, we had zero interest in the first period and Price was great as usual. P.K had a couple of brutal turnovers, and the team looked really shocked when they scored.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote