HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help with Roller Wheels!

Old
12-27-2011, 10:30 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

vCash: 500
Need help with Roller Wheels!

I play ice hockey, but my team goes out once or twice a week to play roller just for fun and a little extra practice. I have no experiance with roller at all.

I've had the same roller blades for 3-4 years now, and the wheels are really starting to look like this: |\ (worn out). I have a pair of Missions that say "The Syndicate SX3" on them (I guess thats the model?)

Looking online, I'm lost. I need help. What does all this mean?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inskatwheel.html

I'm 6'1" 165 lbs and the skates are size 10.

Thanks in advance.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:45 PM
ArrogantOwl

What don't you understand? The hardness rating?

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl View Post
What don't you understand? The hardness rating?
What are Standard or mini-core wheels? Whats 608 and 688?

Then if I click on standard and go to mission I get this:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inline-w...ssion-608.html

Whats the difference in the wheels?

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
What are Standard or mini-core wheels? Whats 608 and 688?

Then if I click on standard and go to mission I get this:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inline-w...ssion-608.html

Whats the difference in the wheels?
the 608 and 688 refers to the different hub designs, the 608 is the standard for roller hockey skates...in other words, you need to buy wheels with the standard 608 for the bearings...get Abec 9 bearings, or the swiss bearings, it's a must ...also depending on where you play outdoors or indoors obviously determines on what wheels you should get for hardness, right now I'm using Labeda Asphalt wheels, which are 80 hardness and I need this since I play outdoors all the times even though I'm the same weight as you, if it's indoors you're fine with 76 hardness

hope that helps

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
depends on how much you want to spend?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:59 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
get Abec 9 bearings
Abec 9's are a bit much unless you plan entering a speed-skating competition. I would say go with Abec 5's or Abec 7's tops. You're right though...Boss Swiss Bearings are definitely the way to go. And it always helps to bring your skates to your local hockey store and talk to the guys and find out which applications(wheels/spacers/bearings) best suit your needs. My opinion, don't go too soft or you might end up having to replace them much sooner than you wish. Also, you can't go wrong with Millenniums. They're pricey, but they last long and have excellent grip.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Renbarg

If you are playing outdoors in Phoenix I would suggest getting hard wheels. Soft wheels tend to crack, especially under heat. 80+ for sure in terms of hardness.

Your Missions almost certainly came with the standard ABEC 7 or 9 bearings so 608 is the way to go.

And you don't need to buy new bearings if they are still doing all right. Maybe just clean em out.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Abec 9's are a bit much unless you plan entering a speed-skating competition. I would say go with Abec 5's or Abec 7's tops. You're right though...Boss Swiss Bearings are definitely the way to go. And it always helps to bring your skates to your local hockey store and talk to the guys and find out which applications(wheels/spacers/bearings) best suit your needs. My opinion, don't go too soft or you might end up having to replace them much sooner than you wish. Also, you can't go wrong with Millenniums. They're pricey, but they last long and have excellent grip.
sorry but do you know what you're talking about? speed-skating competition? huh? I play with Abec 9s just fine. In fact many hockey skates come with Abec 9 bearings. My skates came with Abec 5 because they were cheap and now that I use the Abec 9 the difference in performance is very noticeable. Swiss bearings are higher performance than Abec 9's so how can you say that Swiss bearings are fine if you think A9s are for speed skating lolss

ohh btw I think you mean "bones" swiss bearings lol

Last edited by Panteras: 01-03-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old
01-03-2012, 06:01 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
sorry but do you know what you're talking about? speed-skating competition? huh? I play with Abec 9s just fine. In fact many hockey skates come with Abec 9 bearings. My skates came with Abec 5 because they were cheap and now that I use the Abec 9 the difference in performance is very noticeable. Swiss bearings are higher performance than Abec 9's so how can you say that Swiss bearings are fine if you think A9s are for speed skating lolss

ohh btw I think you mean "bones" swiss bearings lol
I've played roller hockey since I was 7 yrs old, and I'm now 25. Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Abec 9's may be fine for some very advanced players, but can be a bit much for beginners. I considered myself advanced, and still wouldn't go higher than an Abec 7. The idea is to go fast, but also have control. Boss Swiss Bearings or BSB's(brand name not type of bearing)are very well known here in the states and are of excellent quality. Perhaps Bones are more common where your from. Also, maybe things have changed and more younger players are using the A9's and swiss(type) bearings now, but again I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't play much. JMHO...take it or leave it.

Last edited by h22prelude93: 01-03-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old
01-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
I've played roller hockey since I was 7 yrs old, and I'm now 25. Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Abec 9's may be fine for some very advanced players, but can be a bit much for beginners. I considered myself advanced, and still wouldn't go higher than an Abec 7. The idea is to go fast, but also have control. Boss Swiss Bearings or BSB's(brand name not type of bearing)are very well known here in the states and are of excellent quality. Perhaps Bones are more common where your from. Also, maybe things have changed and more younger players are using the A9's and swiss(type) bearings now, but again I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't play much. JMHO...take it or leave it.
well you're right about beginners sticking to Abec 5-7 ....but I just thought it was odd you'd say Abec 9s are for speed skating when you agree about recommending Swiss bearings, which are supposed to be even above Abec 9s that was all.

and yeah when I think of Swiss bearings I think of the Bones my bad, specially the ceramic ones which now those are supposed to be like levitating

Old
01-03-2012, 08:46 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
well you're right about beginners sticking to Abec 5-7 ....but I just thought it was odd you'd say Abec 9s are for speed skating when you agree about recommending Swiss bearings, which are supposed to be even above Abec 9s that was all.

and yeah when I think of Swiss bearings I think of the Bones my bad, specially the ceramic ones which now those are supposed to be like levitating
Ha...yeah I could certainly see where you could get confused. BSB's are actually manufactured in Switzerland, and make both Abec & Swiss bearings. A few years ago my friend gave me a set of their famous swiss bearings w/ speed lube which they claim are the "fastest in the world" but to be honest I'm almost afraid to try them.

Last edited by h22prelude93: 01-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Ha...yeah I could certainly see where you could get confused. BSB's are actually manufactured in Switzerland, and make both Abec & Swiss bearings. A few years ago my friend gave me a set of their famous swiss bearings w/ speed lube which they claim are the "fastest in the world" but to be honest I'm almost afraid to try them.
I wanna try them out, but I'm also faced with a dilemma lols I've always used CCM, and my current ones with the tri-wheel set up 72-76-76-80 and Abec 9s, now I just ordered RBK 9k skates which have the humer set up all 80 wheels, which means it goes faster, thus they come stock with Abec7...I wanna do all 80 set-up w/ Swiss ceramic