HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto Quietly leading Team in +/- (among the league leaders)

Old
12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
The only players I take over MDZ from that draft right now are Stamkos and Erik Karlsson.

And even then I haven't watched many Sens games, so I don't know if Karlsson's defense has been as good as MDZ's.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 12-27-2011 at 12:56 PM.
BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Crease

Del Zotto is turning out to be a very solid pick for the Rangers. One thing I'd like to see MDZ start doing is using his slapshot to set up scoring chances, rather than try to pick the corners and miss the net altogether.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:25 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

His ELC is up after this year, yes? what are we looking at?

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Del Zotto is turning out to be a very solid pick for the Rangers. One thing I'd like to see MDZ start doing is using his slapshot to set up scoring chances, rather than try to pick the corners and miss the net altogether.

Things like better shot selection, etc, come with age. "sniping the corners" , which i agree looks like he is trying to to, might be a case of 'trying too hard' (wanting to get the perfect goal, etc)

As they said during last nights game, he's already doing things like avoiding making plays towards their defenders and into traffic, better decisions on when to make long passes, etc.

Things like that just come with time.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Since his shot accuracy isn't the greatest I'd like to see him start throwing pucks low on net, when there's traffic in front...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
as of right now, coming off of an ELC? I'd do similar to what Ani got. 2-3yrs @ 2M each.

If you asked me this three months ago, i would have said 1.5M. If he keeps up this play for the rest of the year, 2M for sure. i know he might look like he is worth more, but again, he's 21 y/o so i dont feel bad about him being a bit underpaid at this point.

Old
12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Since his shot accuracy isn't the greatest I'd like to see him start throwing pucks low on net, when there's traffic in front...
He's not exactly trying to pick the corners with his slapshot from top of the circle. He's just trying to get it on net, but misses. He has been improving though.

Gretzky was the only one I know, off hand, who could accurately pick the corners with a slapper with any consistency. Mike Bossy was another.

I was never on the MDZ bandwagon. Even in his rookie season when he shown flashes of brilliance,... his defense was horrible. A minus 20 was the teams worst +/- that year. Rosy had to cover his butt nightly.

This year he was obviously nervous to start the season. Trying to win a job and keep it, has got to weigh heavily on your mind. But with his improved defensive game, he has weathered the storm and is gaining confidence on a nightly basis. We are seeing his offensive prowess starting to florish,... because he now knows he could handle his defensive responsibilities. He has come a long way from his rookie year. But now that we know he can be accounted for defensively, he cannot take any steps backward. He needs to continue his progress and work hard everynight.

Right now he's staying the course and his confidence is growing, but we need to see what happens when he hits a bump in the road. Whether he can shake it off or regress. That will be a big test for this young man. He can ill afford any setbacks with Torts in charge.

But I have to say, right now,... I am impressed with what I'm seeing.

Last edited by ohbaby: 12-27-2011 at 07:23 PM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
He's not exactly trying to pick the corners with his slapshot from top of the circle. He's just trying to get it on net, but misses. He has been improving though.

Gretzky was the only one I know, off hand, who could accurately pick the corners with a slapper with any consistency. Mike Bossy was another.

I was never on the MDZ bandwagon. Even in his rookie season when he shown flashes of brilliance,... his defense was horrible. A minus 20 was the teams worst +/- that year. Rosy had to cover his butt nightly.

This year he was obviously nervous to start the season. Trying to win a job and keep it, has got to weigh heavily on your mind. But with his improved defensive game, he has weathered the storm and is gaining confidence on a nightly basis. We are seeing his offensive prowess starting to florish,... because he now knows he could handle his defensive responsibilities. He has come a long way from his rookie year. But now that we know he can be accounted for defensively, he cannot take any steps backward. He needs to continue his progress and work hard everynight.

Right now he's staying the course and his confidence is growing, but we need to see what happens when he hits a bump in the road. Whether he can shake it off or regress. That will be a big test for this young man. He can ill afford any setbacks with Torts in charge.

But I have to say, right now,... I am impressed with what I'm seeing.
Last year's disastrous season was a blessing in disguise because it helped mold him into the player he's showing us he can be this season, and it will serve as motivation and a reminder about where he'll end up if he loses his focus & drive... I think the player you see this season is closer to the player he will be for his career than the one you saw in seasons 1 & 2....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The only players I take over MDZ from that draft right now are Stamkos and Erik Karlsson.

And even then I haven't watched many Sens games, so I don't know if Karlsson's defense has been as good as MDZ's.
Really?

What about Pietrangelo and Eberle?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:38 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Last year's disastrous season was a blessing in disguise because it helped mold him into the player he's showing us he can be this season, and it will serve as motivation and a reminder about where he'll end up if he loses his focus & drive... I think the player you see this season is closer to the player he will be for his career than the one you saw in seasons 1 & 2....
Well said. And I tend to agree with you. We might have a superstar in the making.

But being a professional and a star player does not allow you any days off. He's a young man with lots of distractions that could trip him up or hamper his progress.

I'm hoping like you said, he has learned his lesson.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Really?

Oh yeah, Eberle too. Forgot he went in that draft.

Pietrangelo is having an average year so far, at least by his standards. Right now i'd take MDZ.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Mark Staal money.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:09 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Mark Staal money.
HAH. Not a chance.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:14 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
HAH. Not a chance.
A comparable would be Keith Yandle, but a little less, imo (if he keeps his current pace up).

50+ points? 23+ minutes? Unless he falls off the face of the planet, I'd be shocked at anything less than $3M.

12-27-2011, 11:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
A comparable would be Keith Yandle, but a little less, imo (if he keeps his current pace up).

50+ points? 23+ minutes? Unless he falls off the face of the planet, I'd be shocked at anything less than $3M.
Sather will let him rot before he gives him anything over 3. He was so ****ing bad that he was sent to the AHL last year. You do realize this is Sather, right? He will hardball the hell out of the kid and get a deal he wants from MDZ.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:23 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sather will let him rot before he gives him anything over 3. He was so ****ing bad that he was sent to the AHL last year. You do realize this is Sather, right? He will hardball the hell out of the kid and get a deal he wants from MDZ.
He's had one good season, one terrible season, and, thus far, a phenomenal season.

I guess Sather will do whatever it takes to get him to come as cheap as possible, but looking at other signees of similar ilk, it's hard to say.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:29 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
He's had one good season, one terrible season, and, thus far, a phenomenal season.

I guess Sather will do whatever it takes to get him to come as cheap as possible, but looking at other signees of similar ilk, it's hard to say.
You are looking at Dubinsky or Callahan 2nd contracts as what Del Zotto will get. Think around 2-2.5M or so. For one or two years. Then he will get paid.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:38 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
alot more than we thought we'd have to offer him going into the season...the only downside to him playing this great

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

You also gotta think, he is not going to keep up the minutes/numbers for the entire year. I can see 2 years @ 2.25 Mil.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Mark Staal money.
No. Unless your name is Crosby, you dont get $4M contracts at 21 years of age.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:59 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

I'd be shocked if he even got 3 mill.

2-2.5 mill per.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Really?

I'd still throw in Carlson but who's complaining right now?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:48 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

tied for 2nd in NHL at +25

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
No. Unless your name is Crosby, you dont get $4M contracts at 21 years of age.
actually, John Tavares' cap hit is $5.5 mil at the start of next season. his current cap hit is $3.75 mil. probably because he's the face of the franchise. but i agree. you don't really wanna inflate DZ's ego too much with a big contract. unless he face plants, he should get anywhere between 2 and 3 mil per.

i came in here to say that i just picked up Del Zotto in my fantasy league last night. i have no idea how he was still around. he's been so good. still can't hit the net for beans, though

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
HAH. Not a chance.
Go look at Luke Schenn's 2nd contract. Longer term, bigger bucks. Players with MDZ unique skill set are few and far between in the league. Sather negotiates hard but pays market value. 5 years at $19MM (giving up one UFA year) for Staal was market value for a defenseman who primarily plays defense. Long term, a similar contract for MDZ could be a bargain for a player who defends and scores.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote