HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We're on the Road to Nowhere

Old
12-27-2011, 04:58 PM
bellagiobob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
It doesn't take any effort to finish last, it's horrible finishing last, that's why Lowe was in tears on Oil Change when they were talking about it. It had to be done, the franchise was in complete disarray, we didn't bring 65 year old pat quinn to finish last, we weren't spending to the cap to finish last. They made the tough decision and they made the right decision imo. We have 3 potential superstars none older than 21, that's a GREAT start.

Yeah, Tambellinis not a good gm, I'm not going to disagree, I've been saying it for a while, he's not going to be the guy to build this team into a winner but I'm not going to criticize the decision to rebuild the way we did.
I have no problem with the rebuild process. I have a problem with who is in charge of the process.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
I have no problem with the rebuild process. I have a problem with who is in charge of the process.
How can you rebuild properly when players avoid Edmonton like a plague? The Oilers try to make a trade and the other team will be asking for RNH, Hall, Eberle to even think about a trade. They probably want the Oilers best players and in return want to give the Oilers their junk.

12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Then why have the Canucks gotten away 5 times vs the Oilers with incidents that should have been suspensions. Missing a suspension once I can handle but there have been worse hits on the Oilers than what Sutton got suspended for and didn't even get a fine. The first suspension Sutton got was a joke anyway. Why doesn't anyone say that Landy should be careful like people are saying about the Plante incident last night.
They were saying Landeskog should keep his head up. Everyone should keep their head up. Point is, Sutton on Landeskog was a hit to the head and something they are coming down hard. I honestly thought it was a fine call... Maybe one game too many.

This one didnt deserve a suspension, and didnt get a suspension. Im not saying Shanny is good at his job, Im saying that it seems clear that their is no conspiracy against the Oilers. You've developed this belief that the oilers are getting the short end of the stick when in reality the problem is that the oilers just DONT HIT... so they dont get suspended... and since 2009-2010, with the exception of Sutton, the Oilers that DO hit DONT get suspended either.

Peckham isnt getting suspended, Smid isnt getting suspended, MacIntyre wasnt getting suspended... its just a matter of you thinking that hard hits constitute suspensions, just because your not used to seeing your team hit hard.

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
dont care. same problems as 3-4 years ago.

kids who cant carry teams yet and vets who blow = hot feces. plus terrible defensive mistakes that were covered up by Khabi early on.

Taylor Hall looks really bad out there at times. sorry, gotta say it. he just skates around really fast and either cant finish or just ends plays. i love the kids attitude and the potential but its starting to turn into habits that just look like Male Bimbo Hockey out there.

as far as coaching goes - eh. could be.
its also the way the team is built. too many kids. too many REALLY average players given high end roles.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
They were saying Landeskog should keep his head up. Everyone should keep their head up. Point is, Sutton on Landeskog was a hit to the head and something they are coming down hard. I honestly thought it was a fine call... Maybe one game too many.

This one didnt deserve a suspension, and didnt get a suspension. Im not saying Shanny is good at his job, Im saying that it seems clear that their is no conspiracy against the Oilers. You've developed this belief that the oilers are getting the short end of the stick when in reality the problem is that the oilers just DONT HIT... so they dont get suspended... and since 2009-2010, with the exception of Sutton, the Oilers that DO hit DONT get suspended either.

Peckham isnt getting suspended, Smid isnt getting suspended, MacIntyre wasnt getting suspended... its just a matter of you thinking that hard hits constitute suspensions, just because your not used to seeing your team hit hard.
That was when Colin Campbell was around. How do you explain Jones getting 5 minutes for a clean hit. I'm still surprised he didn't get suspended. Weiss hit on Plante was a dirty play. If that had been reversed and a that had happened to a Canuck, there would have been a suspension.

Last edited by Narnia: 12-27-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:09 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
That was when Colin Campbell was around. How do you explain Jones getting 5 minutes for a clean hit. I'm still surprised he didn't get suspended. Weiss hit on Plante was a dirty play. If that had been reversed and a that had happened to a Canuck, htere would have been a suspension.
So clarify. You were ok with Colin Campbell? Who is plotting against us out of Colin Campbell, Shanahan, and the Refs? Is it all 3, or 2 of the 3. Who is doing the conspirating?

Old
12-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
So clarify. You were ok with Colin Campbell? Who is plotting against us out of Colin Campbell, Shanahan, and the Refs? Is it all 3, or 2 of the 3. Who is doing the conspirating?
Mostly Shanaban and then the refs.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:22 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Mostly Shanaban and then the refs.
Oh ok.

Old
12-27-2011, 05:24 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's a conspiracy... but I've seen some really crap officiating in Oilers games this year
(non calls on opposing players and crap calls on Oilers players)... and Shanahan HAS NOT been consistent with his suspensions around the league.

The thing is I'm sure other fans of other teams feel the same way often as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:28 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
good to hear Bob using the term "vulture" for Gagner. he obviously reads comments/boards. pfff haha

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:35 PM
ales83fan

I will say this - our team sucks. I just want playoffs. Thats all I really want. maybe as a number 4 seed - I would be very happy with a team like that. Get big forwards for the playoffs....Boston-like. Our team has no identity, and is paying smyth and horcoff 11 Million i believe. That's insane.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
good to hear Bob using the term "vulture" for Gagner. he obviously reads comments/boards. pfff haha
Can you give a little more detail.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
dont care. same problems as 3-4 years ago.

kids who cant carry teams yet and vets who blow = hot feces. plus terrible defensive mistakes that were covered up by Khabi early on.

Taylor Hall looks really bad out there at times. sorry, gotta say it. he just skates around really fast and either cant finish or just ends plays. i love the kids attitude and the potential but its starting to turn into habits that just look like Male Bimbo Hockey out there.

as far as coaching goes - eh. could be.
its also the way the team is built. too many kids. too many REALLY average players given high end roles.
He's showing old habits again. Refusing to go into the middle of the ice, playing along the periphery.

It also irritates me anytime he tries to deke on break-aways/penalty shots. He honestly has poor hands - incapable of fooling an NHL goaltender - they don't move quick enough to out-deke professional goalies and it's embarrasing to see him try.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:47 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves View Post
The Sens just started their rebuild. Are they already more complete than the Oilers?
The way I see it, not really. My criteria: need a full top-line, need a 1-2-3 punch down the middle, need a 1-2-3 punch on the backend, and need a good goalie.

Edmonton's biggest holes in my opinion are finding another top-pairing D, finding a starter, and finding a 2C. I don't see anybody in the organization capable of becoming a top-pairing guy; we have Whitney already, but Smid is best as a #3 going forward (unless he exceeds expectations). Dubynk might become a decent starter, but with our blueline we might be better off looking for a stud. Bunz is too far off to call a safe bet. The 2C slot we have Horcoff, Gagner, and Lander as our 'competition' and I don't think any of them will be studs there. Gagner could be if he regains his confidence, but at this point it's harder to see that happening.

Edmonton's biggest strength is having a top-line already developing in Hall-Nuge-Eberle. Those three guys are all very young, extremely talented, and complement each other perfectly. Hall is the speedy scoring winger, Nuge is the visionary playmaking pivot, and Eberle is the hard working, two way winger with great hands. Another strenght is having Whitney and Smid to form 2/3 of the backend pieces; I love what Smid brings, while Whitney is solid, but struggles with durability, and could benefit from another top-pairing guy. Our #3C could easily be Lander in a few years, for now Belanger is a good fill-in, and we can move Horcoff back to the 3C role if Lander isn't ready (note: can only move Horc back when we get more options at 2C). MPS is a good complementary piece, and Hemmer could either form another complementary piece or be traded to fill a need. There are numerous other guys who could be complementary pieces, eg the Omarks, Hartikainens, Petrys, Peckhams, etc.

Ottawa's biggest holes are finding a replacement for Alfredsson on the top-line, finding a #2C, finding a #3 on the backend, and maybe a goalie. I say maybe a goalie because we have Lehner, who is arguably the best goaltending prospect outside the NHL. He's at least 3 seasons away IMO. The #3 on the backend was expected to be Rundblad, but he was shipped off recently. The remaining depth is Wiercioch or Borowiecki, who I see as #4/5 guys. The 2C slot has two main competitors; Zibanejad and Turris. We'll see how those two play out, I like what I see from Turris so far and hopefully he can fill that need. The replacement for Alfie is arguably the biggest piece missing; a glue guy, captain, and all around great player. The only piece I think Ottawa has that could reach that potential is Silfverberg, but even Silfv I see more as a 2nd liner.

Ottawa's biggest strength is the Cowen-Karlsson pair. Those guys are well on their way to becoming studs already, and they complement each other's game style. They could be a Niedermayer-Stevens pair (note: lofty expectations). Furthermore, the depth down the middle looks like it's shaping up nicely. Spezza is easily a #1, Zack Smith looks like a solid #3, and Zibby and Turris compete for the 2C slot. Complementary pieces are numerous, albeit I doubt any will be as good as MPS or Hemsky. The vets on the backend are numerous enough and come out in phases, which facilitates a nice transition from young to old on the backend. Anderson's contract buys Lehner time for development.

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 12-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why do you only show up after losses?
You won't get an answer for that. But if you are lucky you will get a "The fans aren't patient enough for a rebuild" six times.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Auguste Escoffier

What is the story regarding Hall and Eberle with two women?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
That was when Colin Campbell was around. How do you explain Jones getting 5 minutes for a clean hit. I'm still surprised he didn't get suspended. Weiss hit on Plante was a dirty play. If that had been reversed and a that had happened to a Canuck, htere would have been a suspension.
Whether you believe it was clean, not, suspendible or not. It was a charge and it was "blindside". I'm not sure it was suspendible, but the message is growing louder.

We have been a small, weak team since 2006. The NHL rewards tough, physical hockey. WTF has our management done to build a team that while losing games, won't lose battles. Nothing but draft guys like Gagner, who while he drops the gloves once in a while , intimidates no one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi755p3JHzE (about the 8 min mark).

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post

Not sure, please tell us. Is this a joke or what? Does it involve a Catholic priest, a nun and an donkey?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
There were two girls in the stands wearing t-shirts, one said Mrs. Eberle, the other said Mrs. Hall.

12-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
There were two girls in the stands wearing t-shirts, one said Mrs. Eberle, the other said Mrs. Hall.
did anyone else catch the "I'm banannas for Eberle" sign? Glad someone made a reference to one of his twitter posts.

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:25 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:39 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:24 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
And after seeing this Hemsky`s sinuses flaired up....

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
dopeschemes

And wearing yoga pants

dopeschemes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:45 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I can see improvements throughout the organization this year. They have a solid team in OKC and yes there are "real" prospects being developed down there. They aren't all just fringe vet AHL players. Every AHL team is a mix of prospects and AHL vets... OKC is no different.

I think it's hard to argue that the development and drafting process that the Oilers have had these last couple years isn't making things look much brighter for the future. They have some solid prospects in Junior as well... forwards, dmen and goalies and hopefully more will be added in this upcoming draft and next year as well.

The entire organization has undergone a change in philosophy... patience and internal competition/development is the new path... that wasn't the case in the past (when it was more about whale chasing and random stabs in the dark to lure outside talent by throwing bags of money at them) but it's different now.

That type of fundamental change takes a while to show in the standings on the Oilers though... it's not instant coffee when you are making a radical rebuild to the entire organization like the Oilers have done and are continuing to do.

I think too many people want a dramatic change... they want to flip the coin over from suck to contender in 1 or 2 years. That's fantasy land. That's much more of a fairy tale than my longer term 5-10 year visions of this team lifting multiple Stanley Cups.

This is a hell of a long term avatar bet... but I'll bet anyone that the Oilers win 2 Stanley Cups in the next 10 years. Statistically speaking a team should win a cup every 30 years because there are 30 teams in the league. Winning 2 cups in the next 10 years would be quite an achievement and is statistically 6 times as well as they should do (assuming a 30 team NHL over the next decade.)

I think another lotto pick this year is a big "bonus" considering the team is also improving and that will be another key part of the rebuild. The scouts and drafting success for the Oilers are the biggest keys going forward and the ability to develop those picks in Junior and OKC are critical to the teams future. So far so good.
I don't think anyone is wanting to go whale hunting. Well maybe a few posters but I think the major issues people are having is #1 Compete Level: It hasn't been there most nights over the last 15-20 games. #2 The Defense: I think if you bring in some guys to form a competent NHL D this team might compete. Right now they know their GM doesn't give a damn about the season so why the hell should they.

And posters will say there's no d men available by trade but 3 d-men have been moved this year and I think that we had the pieces available to acquire all 3.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote