HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
WW has to bring it, this guy is playing for a contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayhat View Post
I don't think its good for his development to play 8 minutes a night in the NHL. Its better for him to play 20 in AHL for a few more months or even this full year..

I don't think he deserves more time right now and Torts certainly does not..
Now that's the golden question. More time at the lower level or less time at the higher level. I guess it all depends on what he's prepared for. If he's ready for the bigs, he should be playing there. If he's not, he should be in the minors, the amount of time he plays, doesn't matter. Playing 5 minutes in the NHL is more experience then you'll get in a full game in the minors. Just being in the lockerroom with Brad Richards and Ryan Callahan, he'll learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Can Rupp win faceoffs? I don't want my 4th line to continually chase the puck after facoffs. Other than that this looks good, I'd definitely give Wolski a chance to play with Richards and see how that works. Depending on the opponent I'd maybe dress Mitchell instead of Rupp and try this:

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Brad - Cally
Hagelin - Dubi - Mitchell
Prust - Boyle - Fed
With as good as Dubi and Boyle have been together I don't want to split them. That's your shutdown line.

AA - Stepan - Gabby
Wolski - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Boyle - Hagelin
Prust - Feds - Rupp/Mitchell

Avery Christensen

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
kovazub94

vCash: 500
I'm solidly in the "give WW a chance in top 6 spot until he proves incapable". However I have not seen any one's line up where Wolski is paired with Stepan and Gaborik. He did show chemistry with Stepan last year and also this year with these players before he got sidelined. No I'm not Anisimov hater, quite opposite - I actually think that he is an universal - capable of playing with anyone and in any role given. Don't want to put my own line up - just wanted to point out that there are more options to consider even if Wolski and Richards don't work out and where he is still a top 6 forward.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
I'm solidly in the "give WW a chance in top 6 spot until he proves incapable". However I have not seen any one's line up where Wolski is paired with Stepan and Gaborik. He did show chemistry with Stepan last year and also this year with these players before he got sidelined. No I'm not Anisimov hater, quite opposite - I actually think that he is an universal - capable of playing with anyone and in any role given. Don't want to put my own line up - just wanted to point out that there are more options to consider even if Wolski and Richards don't work out and where he is still a top 6 forward.
Balance. Wolski -Stepan - Gaborik would probably be too soft and also it would leave Richards with either AA or Dubi on his wing. If W2 is in and Avery is waived again, I think I'd like to see something like this:
Gas
WW - BR - Cally
Dubinsky - Rupp - Hagelin
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
The same coach who two games ago said of the Hags-Rich-Cally-line: "They were nothing special" and then switched back to playing Dubi on Richards' LW (though admitedly changed back after just one period)?

Give the posters on this board a little credit. They are looking for ways to get our $50M UFA center going. It's obvious that he's missing a scoring winger, and some of us think that might be Wolski. Hags can still produce on a line with Dubi and Boyle.

Hags is awesome, but Wolski has more skill, more creativity and a better shot. If he get's going (big if, I know), he can be a very important contributor to this team.

I have no problem with people wanting Hags to stay on the 2nd line, there are reasonable arguments for keeping him there, but don't lable those who disagree as "less smart".There are sound arguments both ways. Some would say "don't change what's working", others would say: "You need to look for things to improve even when you're doing well."
All good points. To expand a bit on Richards: Ideally, by playoff time, a sniper will be needed to balance out his line. That's why WW will get to put in his application. If he performs, he stays. If not he most likely goes. If he even scores a couple of goals but isn't as good as Hagelin, at least his trade value increases.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
wafflepadsave

A couple of other points for everybody to consider:

- I would look for both Richards and Rupp to really kick into gear closer to the playoffs, which is when they'll be needed the most any way.
- Someone else has already brought up a great point that was send WW down for conditioning for 2 weeks. If he can get some confidence down there and then bring that game up to the rangers
- EC Sather must have received some kind of offer earlier in the season, before the team took off. So he might be holding out for a redial.
-Mitchell has played pretty decent thusfar. If he learns to turn it up a notch, we might have something there.
- I said at the beginning of the season, that Boyle was replaceable and that Sather should sell high. With that being said, his defensive game has been great and is still contributing alot.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:48 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

There is absolutely no reason for Wolski to be on this team anymore. He's soft, he's lazy and he is useless garbage. And especially not at the expense of Hagelin, who DESERVES to stay with this team.

Bury him in the minors the same way we did with Redden. Screw the both of them.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
There is absolutely no reason for Wolski to be on this team anymore. He's soft, he's lazy and he is useless garbage. And especially not at the expense of Hagelin, who DESERVES to stay with this team.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I agree to an extent.

I don't understand a lot people's love for Wolski here. I see mnay wanting him on the 1st/2nd line over guys who are producing as is, in Anisimov and Hagelin. Why mess with the chemistry?

Im fine with giving him minutes possibly on the 4th line or so until he proves something.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The deadline is February 27 so its 8 weeks. Not 7 which I wrote yesterday. Counted wrong. CBA stipulates trading deadline should be 40 days before the end of the regular season. Used to be 26 days in the previous CBA.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Red Berenson compared Hagelin to Kris Draper/Darren Helm. Red hasn't been wrong so far. Keeper.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:

Am I the only one who though Wolski had made strides in his game based on what I saw in his 6 games earlier this season? I thought he looked more willing to go to the dirty areas and fight for the puck. I may be wrong, but I think the guy at least deserves a shot to see if he can produce. I wouldn't put him in unless someone else deserves some time in the pressbox, but just sending him to the minors would be a waste of a potential asset. If he plays well, he raises his trade value, and we may be able to trade him for an upgrade, or something of value. He's not long for Broadway, and there's no way in hell he's qualified in the offseason, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss him entirely. Keep his leash short, but at least give the guy a chance to produce. He's already shown he's capable, and if anyone can get something out of him, it's Torts.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
DutchShamrock

I don't even think the issue is if Wolski has talent, or if he can bring it consistently. The issue is if he fits into the puzzle with what he has to offer. Right now, Hagelin adds a very dangerous element with his speed. Mitchel has size, checking, defense and a good all around game. Boyle has size and a two way game. If I was building an all star team maybe I go with Wolski over someone, but we are building towards the playoffs and that means role players and identity. We don't lack scoring at the moment, until we hit the skids Wolski sits.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Am I the only one who though Wolski had made strides in his game based on what I saw in his 6 games earlier this season? I thought he looked more willing to go to the dirty areas and fight for the puck. I may be wrong, but I think the guy at least deserves a shot to see if he can produce. I wouldn't put him in unless someone else deserves some time in the pressbox, but just sending him to the minors would be a waste of a potential asset. If he plays well, he raises his trade value, and we may be able to trade him for an upgrade, or something of value. He's not long for Broadway, and there's no way in hell he's qualified in the offseason, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss him entirely. Keep his leash short, but at least give the guy a chance to produce. He's already shown he's capable, and if anyone can get something out of him, it's Torts.
Not a WW fan, but from a talent standpoint I think he gets a shot somewhere other than the 4th line, maybe 3rd line minutes and PP time. He will get a shot to stay in the lineup, they need a finisher, don't know if he is the answer though.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:49 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

There IS a reason for Wolski to be on this team:

We've always been weak on our LW, and our only top 6 LWer this season is playing like a grinder.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
There IS a reason for Wolski to be on this team:

We've always been weak on our LW, and our only top 6 LWer this season is playing like a grinder.
Exactly, this team could really use someone else who has natural goal scoring ability. I'm not saying WW is the answer, but it would go a long way to the teams' success if he was.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:25 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I don't even think the issue is if Wolski has talent, or if he can bring it consistently. The issue is if he fits into the puzzle with what he has to offer. Right now, Hagelin adds a very dangerous element with his speed. Mitchel has size, checking, defense and a good all around game. Boyle has size and a two way game. If I was building an all star team maybe I go with Wolski over someone, but we are building towards the playoffs and that means role players and identity. We don't lack scoring at the moment, until we hit the skids Wolski sits.
Good point. If you add Wolski to the 3rd line, it limits their effectiveness as a checking line. Hagelin has been our best player on the 2nd line as of late so it may be counterproductive to replace him with Wolski. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Solid points all around. All the players mentioned above did things that helped add a W to the current streak. I would agree that Wolski should get a chance. I just can't figure where he fits or who would sit in his place. If Wolski had some legit grit to his game he'd be more likely to get his chance, then again it's more likely he would not have had the transit between teams that he's had.

Guess I'm being redundant here, but that's my 2 cents.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:47 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

That's a little harsh, do you think. The guy worked his ass off this summer and it's a contract year for him. You can't play well when you are hurt.

Let's see what he's got before we cut bait. There are two things you can count on in the next several weeks. Tortorella will scramble the lines. Probably more than once. And someone else will get hurt. WW will get his chance, he's just going to have to earn it. Stay tuned.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I think Wolski and Richards may eventually find some chemistry. Call it a hunch, but I just feel like they play the game at the same speed in the offensive zone and it could be a great match. It just as easily could not work at all. Id like to see Wolski in for Boyle for a game or two, but i doubt that happens. I just hope Hagelin stays put as he should, and I think he will. Tortorella isn't that dumb. Like some of you have already said, Wolski will get his chance when the time comes and it's up to him to make the most of the opportunity. I'm not a big Wolski fan, but I am certainly still rooting for him to succeed here.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:07 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
So much to agree with here. I was re-watching the HBO thing and at one point Laviolette talks about talent and passion--that talent is just not enough--and that's the kind of teams we're going to have to go through to win a cup. Wolski's always had these issues and maybe he's going to finally get it right this time but until it's evident it's not evident.

The Rangers Stanley Cup team was not just a collection of stars. The stars we did have were 100%'ers but even beyond all them that team had guys who could really grind and play physical. They weren't stars but they fit into roles and those roles were essential to the team winning the cup. People remember Messier, Leetch, Graves, Richter the most but guys like Kocur, Lidster, Nemchinov, Noonan, Matteau, Wells also made key contributions. Would not have won without Steve Larmer, Esa Tikkanen or Kevin Lowe either all of whom took on secondary roles where if they had been elsewhere they would have been top players.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Vitto79

anyone waived?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:

Agreed.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:00 PM
NYR Viper

Cup teams also have players who, while not the best 2-way players, can bring offense. Ryder last season is a good example. They bring secondary scoring and as long as you can play them with players who can balance it out, it works out.

No team is 100% 2-way players.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I don't understand a lot people's love for Wolski here. I see mnay wanting him on the 1st/2nd line over guys who are producing as is, in Anisimov and Hagelin. Why mess with the chemistry?
I wouldn't say it's love. If you think there's potential, you just feel like it's worth it to see if he can improve the team. Agreed that he shouldn't just jump onto the 2nd line right now though. Stralman waited for his chance, then gradually saw his role increased. Wolski will have to do the same.

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason for Wolski to be on this team anymore.
I can give you a lot more reasons for Wolski to be here than I can for Avery or Christensen.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
The Mouth

Bottom line is Torts doesnt like Wolski and we know how that story ends.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

There is no reason to break up the chemistry going to put Wolski in at LW for either Anisimov, Hagelin, or even Dubinsky who's line has been playing great. I just don't see where he fits right now.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote