HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tonight is the biggest game of the year

Old
12-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm usually quite optimistic, but I'm very skeptical from what I've seen of RC's coaching which really is the reason why we're 0-4 under him.

Our next series of 10 games is definitely our most important. Going all the way to mid january, we should know at the end of it whether we should be sellers or buyers.
RC may not have been great but we were slumping long before he came on board. I don't think the coaching is going to make all that big a difference until we revamp the roster.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Ahem.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:26 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Ahem.
What if they lose the next 4 games? Will this game still be the most important one of the year?

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
What if they lose the next 4 games? Will this game still be the most important one of the year?
I refuse to comment on your future scenario due to jinx (or anti-jinx) purposes!

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
RC may not have been great but we were slumping long before he came on board. I don't think the coaching is going to make all that big a difference until we revamp the roster.
What revamping is needed. I think the roster is pretty good if they can start getting a bit healthy and pulling in the right direction.

The only guy I question if he shouldn`t sit tonight is Gill. He`s looking slower than molasses. He isn`t fast at the best of times but seems to be able to cope better, tonight he was bad.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:02 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I refuse to comment on your future scenario due to jinx (or anti-jinx) purposes!
Thought so

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What revamping is needed.
We need more size and skill. We need better players if we want to realistically compete for a cup. A coaching change isn't going to change this.

Anyone should be able to see this by now.
Quote:
I think the roster is pretty good if they can start getting a bit healthy and pulling in the right direction.
Depends on what your goal is. Can we make the playoffs with the roster we have? Absolutely. I actually think we will. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't go the rebuild route though... I actually want us to build a cup capable team and we don't have this now nor do I see any indication that we'll have one in the immediate future.
Quote:
The only guy I question if he shouldn`t sit tonight is Gill. He`s looking slower than molasses. He isn`t fast at the best of times but seems to be able to cope better, tonight he was bad.
Again, I don't really care. I want us to actually make real changes. Benching Gill or changing a coach doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Old
12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We need more size and skill. We need better players if we want to realistically compete for a cup. A coaching change isn't going to change this.

Anyone should be able to see this by now.

Depends on what your goal is. Can we make the playoffs with the roster we have? Absolutely. I actually think we will. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't go the rebuild route though... I actually want us to build a cup capable team and we don't have this now nor do I see any indication that we'll have one in the immediate future.

Again, I don't really care. I want us to actually make real changes. Benching Gill or changing a coach doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
We have not played with a full lineup all year. No team would look like a powerhouse with 3-5 regulars out each game.

If you chose to rebuild you probably lose guys like Pacioretty Price Subban Plekanec Cole along the way. Rebuilds take time and take a toll on players, then when they get to be RFA`s and UFA`s they want out. making the playoffs and progressing is the best way to keep your young veterans.

The two biggest issues with this team so far have been a pile of injuries and at times the team playing like a bunch of individuals. As you see with Washington(and LA), you can have oodles of talent but not necessarily win if they don`t all pull the same direction.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
We have not played with a full lineup all year. No team would look like a powerhouse with 3-5 regulars out each game.
We wouldn't be a powerhouse anyway.
Quote:
If you chose to rebuild you probably lose guys like Pacioretty Price Subban Plekanec Cole along the way.
Absolutely not, we won't lose the young guys and it's silly to say this. As for Cole, we never should've picked him up to begin with...
Quote:
Rebuilds take time and take a toll on players, then when they get to be RFA`s and UFA`s they want out. making the playoffs and progressing is the best way to keep your young veterans.
PK and Max are young players and won't be UFAs for a long time. They aren't going anywhere. And flip it around... why would Price want to stay if we're commited to perpetually putting out medicore teams? If we follow your argument, why does he stay with a club that perpetually ices non-cup contending teams with nothing to indicate that it will do anything differently in the future?
Quote:
The two biggest issues with this team so far have been a pile of injuries and at times the team playing like a bunch of individuals. As you see with Washington(and LA), you can have oodles of talent but not necessarily win if they don`t all pull the same direction.
Yeah, we've had a pile of... something...

Please. Markov has been toast for three years now. He's the only significant injury that we've had to deal with and we should've known two years ago (let alone this season) that he's a huge injury risk. Other than that we've lost... Scott Gomez for a significant period of time and we've actually done better without him in the lineup.

Yeah, we have injuries. So does every other team. Every year we're a bubble team and this year is no exception. At what point do you just accept that we're not going to win anything with small mediocre players and great goaltending?

Old
12-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Avim86

Quote:

Absolutely not, we won't lose the young guys and it's silly to say this. As for Cole, we never should've picked him up to begin with...

PK and Max are young players and won't be UFAs for a long time. They aren't going anywhere. And flip it around... why would Price want to stay if we're commited to perpetually putting out medicore teams? If we follow your argument, why does he stay with a club that perpetually ices non-cup contending teams with nothing to indicate that it will do anything differently in the future?

Please. Markov has been toast for three years now. He's the only significant injury that we've had to deal with and we should've known two years ago (let alone this season) that he's a huge injury risk. Other than that we've lost... Scott Gomez for a significant period of time and we've actually done better without him in the lineup.

Yeah, we have injuries. So does every other team. Every year we're a bubble team and this year is no exception. At what point do you just accept that we're not going to win anything with small mediocre players and great goaltending?
Bubble team that finished 1st in the East and made it so ECF (2 different years) since the lockout... If Habs were healthy I know they would be top 5 in the East considering the parity this year.

Haters gonna hate I guess , why do you post on here? All I ever see are negative comments and justifications about why we suck and why some other random person would magically do a better job while completely ignoring facts that shouldn't be used as excuses but are still true.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
Bubble team that finished 1st in the East
That same club missed the playoffs the season before and made the last playoff spot on a tiebreaker the very next year.

Yeah, we had a great season that one year. Other than that we've been a bubble team.
Quote:
and made it so ECF (2 different years) since the lockout...
That club shouldn't have made it to the playoffs to begin with. 88 points and then Ken Dryden like goaltending got us past the first round. That club wasn't going anywhere either.

And it's pathetic that a 3rd round loss has become something to be excited about now.
Quote:
If Habs were healthy I know they would be top 5 in the East considering the parity this year.
But we're not healthy. And if you're referring to Markov, we probably won't ever will be. You're using a tired and overplayed excuse.

If you're referring to Gomez... we're probably better off without him as he's now been outscored by Cam Ward going back to last February.
Quote:
Haters gonna hate I guess , why do you post on here?
Why do you? Is it to sing Koombaya?
Quote:
All I ever see are negative comments and justifications about why we suck and why some other random person would magically do a better job while completely ignoring facts that shouldn't be used as excuses but are still true.
It's not all negative. We aren't terrible and I've never said we were. I've said we're mediocre and I've been right most of the time for a long time now. I don't think the playoffs are an impossibility this year either. I just think we'd be better off actually doing something to build a winner instead of wasting our time with patchwork fixes to get us to 8th place.

Old
12-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That same club missed the playoffs the season before and made the last playoff spot on a tiebreaker the very next year.

Yeah, we had a great season that one year. Other than that we've been a bubble team.

That club shouldn't have made it to the playoffs to begin with. 88 points and then Ken Dryden like goaltending got us past the first round. That club wasn't going anywhere either.

And it's pathetic that a 3rd round loss has become something to be excited about now.

But we're not healthy. And if you're referring to Markov, we probably won't ever will be. You're using a tired and overplayed excuse.

If you're referring to Gomez... we're probably better off without him as he's now been outscored by Cam Ward going back to last February.

Why do you? Is it to sing Koombaya?

It's not all negative. We aren't terrible and I've never said we were. I've said we're mediocre and I've been right most of the time for a long time now. I don't think the playoffs are an impossibility this year either. I just think we'd be better off actually doing something to build a winner instead of wasting our time with patchwork fixes to get us to 8th place.
You should be a doctor. You know better than world reknowned surgeons who did the surgery on Markov. Those guys make millions a year and you're here on a messageboard. You should go tell them why markov will never come back.

As far as Gomez, as much as he has a bad cap hit, I'd rather have him in the lineup, same goes for Campoli, AK, Gill, Cammy and Gionta who have missed significant time so far this year.

Old
12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

If you start "tanking" and try to bottom out the team...or even stop trying to win, guys like Subban Price and Pacioretty(there are others but I just use those 3 as examples) will want to go elswhere and win. The minute you start trying to lose, it gets real hard to sign quality UFA's and even retain your RFA's. Turris basically forced Phoenix to trade him and he was a RFA with less of a track record than most of our guys.

Unlike some fans, players understand that it's not the team's fault that Markov has had back to back to back devastating injuries, most of which were bad luck. When your best players gets hurt(see Crosby as a comparable), it doesn't suddenly mean the taem is aiming for mediocrity or patchwork, they just do the best they can with the hand they are dealt.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You should be a doctor. You know better than world reknowned surgeons who did the surgery on Markov. Those guys make millions a year and you're here on a messageboard. You should go tell them why markov will never come back.
Where did I say he'd never come back?

What I've said is that we can't count on this guy to be healthy going forward. You don't need to be Mark Recchi to know this.
Quote:
As far as Gomez, as much as he has a bad cap hit, I'd rather have him in the lineup, same goes for Campoli, AK, Gill, Cammy and Gionta who have missed significant time so far this year.
We've done better without him.
Quote:
If you start "tanking" and try to bottom out the team...or even stop trying to win, guys like Subban Price and Pacioretty(there are others but I just use those 3 as examples) will want to go elswhere and win. The minute you start trying to lose, it gets real hard to sign quality UFA's and even retain your RFA's. Turris basically forced Phoenix to trade him and he was a RFA with less of a track record than most of our guys.
I can say the same thing back to you...

If we don't try to build a winner, those guys will want to leave. Why would they want to stay with mediocre clubs for the rest of their careers?

No matter how you slice it, your taking a speculative position that isn't well founded.
Quote:
Unlike some fans, players understand that it's not the team's fault that Markov has had back to back to back devastating injuries, most of which were bad luck. When your best players gets hurt(see Crosby as a comparable), it doesn't suddenly mean the taem is aiming for mediocrity or patchwork, they just do the best they can with the hand they are dealt.
Unlike some fans, the players understand that it IS management's fault for not planning accordingly on the Markov situation. Management should've been smart enough to know that Markov was a huge injury risk. These players aren't as stupid as management has been regarding this issue and they know using Markov at this point is pathetic excuse making. Everyone in the world knows this.