HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

We've only won 4 of the 14 games since Myers has been out.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
any update on when is getting better?
Hey LR, probably next week. That's the timetable from his lips to the press cores tape recorders at least. He's been skating throughout, but he's just getting back to handling the puck.

Personally, I hope he doesn't try to do too much. Puck handling typically takes a while to come back on a scaphoid break -- some guys have said up to a year to get comfortable again. They need smart, simple decisions, combined with his level of physical engagement... and perhaps filling a lane on the rush to let go a big shot.

12-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Afino
The Juice

In shocking news, replacing Myers with Weber or MAG has hurt our team.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

If this were a scientific experiment to determine how important Myers is to this team, we would have done a terrible job creating the control group. There are a million things wrong with this team right now, and missing Myers is just one of them. Let's not forget that Myers wasn't exactly playing great before he got injured.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
any update on when is getting better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Hey LR, probably next week. That's the timetable from his lips to the press cores tape recorders at least. He's been skating throughout, but he's just getting back to handling the puck.

Personally, I hope he doesn't try to do too much. Puck handling typically takes a while to come back on a scaphoid break -- some guys have said up to a year to get comfortable again. They need smart, simple decisions, combined with his level of physical engagement... and perhaps filling a lane on the rush to let go a big shot.
From WGR this morning:

Quote:
Tyler Myers is also skating with Marc Andre Gragnani. They're skating as the 7th and 8th D-men. Lindy Ruff says Myers won't be ready for Monday's game against Washington. The big defenseman is no longer wearing a splint on his injured wrist, but can't put weight on it or take shots just yet.
http://wgr550.com/Vanek-misses-practice/11809799

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Tyler Myers ---> 19gms 2g 4a 6pts (both goals were in the same game)

He truly has been the difference maker for this team.
Couple of things

1. Myers was with Regehr for most of those games to form a shut down pairing. He played pretty well in that regard with a few bumps here and there. Offensely he was struggling in this new role. I started a thread back then suggesting he get put him with someone else to allow him to roam more offensively. But the consensus response was let him stay there he is since he was playing well in that role.

You're not going to suggest having a dman that can play defense doesn't contribute to winning are you?

2. You completely missed the point I was making in the post you quoted. The poster I responded to felt missing those 4 forwards was a bigger issue. Yet those 4 had little to nothing to do with our early season success as evidenced by their lack of production or not even playing.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's an interesting stat. You wouldn't think he'd be THAT important to the team, but maybe he is? With Myers playing you'd have to think they at least win a few more games in that stretch, maybe even have a winning record. Obviously I don't think he's completely responsible for the team being awful, but that stat shows he's clearly a big factor.
Thats pretty much what I'm arguing.

Defensively we've been a mess. We given up a total of 49 goals in those 14gms (3.5 goals against per game). Even if you take out the Pens game its still 3.2 gapg.

We gave up a total of 49 goals in the 19gms Myers played in. That works out to 2.6 goals against per game, almost a full goal per game lower than the last 14 games.

Offensively we haven't dropped off nearly as badly as we have defensively. Our offensive game has been hit or miss all season, primarily because most forwards have been struggling all season. Or they've missed most of the season like Hecht and Ennis. In 14 games without Myers we've scored a total of 34 goals. (2.4 gpg). In the 19gms with him we scored 54 goals (2.8 gpg).

If we square away our defensive game we will get back on a winning path. The reason being is it will take some pressure off the forwards to produce. Which hopefully gets them to relax and stop gripping their sticks so tight.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Squantosawuss

THIS JUST IN:
Dateline- New York

In even more shocking news, the Buffalo Sabres had a nice start to the season while playing many sub-par teams in the first 2 months, giving fans and management a false sense of security. A fact few ever acknowledge or mention. Then injuries occur, setting excuses into motion thus confusing the explanations for their more recent poor play agianst higher ranked opponents. The injuries excuse is used in spite of the fact that it's the Rochester core who are really the problem, not the callups.

Prediction: Starters slowly trickle back in while nothing slowly changes.

-End.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
BuffaloSabskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
THIS JUST IN:
Dateline- New York

In even more shocking news, the Buffalo Sabres had a nice start to the season while playing many sub-par teams in the first 2 months, giving fans and management a false sense of security. A fact few ever acknowledge or mention. Then injuries occur, setting excuses into motion thus confusing the explanations for their more recent poor play agianst higher ranked opponents. The injuries excuse is used in spite of the fact that it's the Rochester core who are really the problem, not the callups.

-End.
How many times have you posted this? This is the NHL every team can beat every team. Look at the first few games and look at any other, there is just as many teams that could be called "sub-par". We even play the same "sub-par" a lot more times. The main difference is that we start playing the Leafs more and your "sub-par" first part of the year goes even more for them.

Last edited by BuffaloSabskis: 12-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.
BuffaloSabskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Myers has been out since suffering the injury Nov. 19 against Phoenix, when the Sabres were 12-8-0. They're 4-7-3 since and have sunk to 11th place in the Eastern Conference.
Quote:
When Myers was hurt, the Sabres were seventh in the NHL on the power play at 19.2 percent and third in penalty killing at 90 percent.

Heading into Friday's games, the Sabres had slipped to 14th on the power play and ninth in penalty killing overall. In Myers' absence, their percentages have been 16.1 on the PP and an abysmal 76.6 on the PK.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle684735.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabskis View Post
This is the NHL every team can beat every team.
In every league of every sport, any team can beat any team. That's why you have best-of-sevens in the playoffs...to flush out the inferior opponents. In assessing a team's quality, what you look for are patterns. That's what I am commenting on.

Some are hanging their hat and their hopes on this idea that when the Sabres gets healthy, they'll be a lot better. I think that's misguided and born of the very mindset I was referring to in my original post.

With this core, the team will never be that good. Not under any coach.

Old
12-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
In every league of every sport, any team can beat any team. That's why you have best-of-sevens in the playoffs...to flush out the inferior opponents. In assessing a team's quality, what you look for are patterns. That's what I am commenting on.

Some are hanging their hat and their hopes on this idea that when the Sabres gets healthy, they'll be a lot better. I think that's misguided and born of the very mindset I was referring to in my original post.

With this core, the team will never be that good. Not under any coach.
If you say so.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
THIS JUST IN:
Dateline- New York

-End.
Apparently you missed the second half of last season when the core carried this team to the playoffs. Did you miss the season before that, also? When the core won a division title.

Listen...it comes down to the playoffs. The core has prooven they can make it to the playoffs, but they haven't prooven they can perform in the playoffs. This is the most talented team we've iced in years. Give it time. Christ.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Apparently you missed the second half of last season when the core carried this team to the playoffs. Did you miss the season before that, also? When the core won a division title.
Great example of addition by subtraction. I do NOT believe it's a coincidence that this team played much better WITHOUT Derek Roy. He gets his points while his linemates suffer. That is NOT a productive situation for the team.

Quote:
Listen...it comes down to the playoffs. The core has prooven they can make it to the playoffs, but they haven't prooven they can perform in the playoffs. This is the most talented team we've iced in years. Give it time. Christ.
You're right. The Rochester core has proven repeatedly that they are not built to succeed in the playoffs. My point exactly. Why would anyone think they are suddenly going to develop talent they've not had up to this point. These guys are vets, not second year players. If anything, they're gonna start slowing down a bit in the next season or two.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:44 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabskis View Post
I agree. Everyone just wants to keep saying the cliche " Injuries are not an excuse", but sometimes not having key guys in the line up can directly result in losses.
I think this year's Colts proved beyond any doubt that that cliche is a load of hogwash

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:56 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You completely missed the point I was making in the post you quoted. The poster I responded to felt missing those 4 forwards was a bigger issue. Yet those 4 had little to nothing to do with our early season success as evidenced by their lack of production or not even playing.
I understand your point. Based on your argument, Brad Boyes has been an even bigger key to our success. 13-8-1 with Boyes in the lineup, 4-7-2 without him. Yet you claim Boyes has "little to no impact" on this team while Tyler Myers (11-8 with, 6-7-3 without) is having a huge impact?

I feel missing 5-7 regular players from our lineup during this stretch has caused the team's recent slide in the standings. I don't think you can single one of them out as being the difference maker.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I think this year's Colts proved beyond any doubt that that cliche is a load of hogwash
I think the Penguins proved last year that your post is a load of hogwash...

comparing losing a QB in football to losing players in hockey nice move

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think the Penguins proved last year that your post is a load of hogwash...

comparing losing a QB in football to losing players in hockey nice move
Right...the pens played good with out crosby, but they weren't nearly as dangerous. They were everyones favorite to win the cup until crosby goes down. After he goes down, they fell in the standings, and get knocked out in the first round.

Injuries didn't hurt them...pfft...okay.

Old
12-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Great example of addition by subtraction. I do NOT believe it's a coincidence that this team played much better WITHOUT Derek Roy. He gets his points while his linemates suffer. That is NOT a productive situation for the team.

You're right. The Rochester core has proven repeatedly that they are not built to succeed in the playoffs. My point exactly. Why would anyone think they are suddenly going to develop talent they've not had up to this point. These guys are vets, not second year players. If anything, they're gonna start slowing down a bit in the next season or two.
I agree on roy. I want him traded, but what ever.

They don't have to develop talent. They've added it through trades and free agency. But whatever...well see what happens when april comes around. I'm tired of argueing with debbie downers. I did it last year when everyone wanted them to tank by mid december. I was right, and by april everyone was back on the bandwagon.

Old
12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Right...the pens played good with out crosby, but they weren't nearly as dangerous. They were everyones favorite to win the cup until crosby goes down. After he goes down, they fell in the standings, and get knocked out in the first round.

Injuries didn't hurt them...pfft...okay.
Precisely.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:08 PM
fing0rz

Quote:
THIS JUST IN:
Dateline- New York

-End.
so a team with a full roster beats sub-par team
a team with 9 people out, loses to better teams.

Clearly the Rochester core who is the problem

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
so a team with a full roster beats sub-par team
a team with 9 people out, loses to better teams.

Clearly the Rochester core who is the problem
The Rochester core underwhelms year-in, year-out. I don't care who you put around them, as long as they are this ship's engine, a deep playoff run is not likely.