HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Staal gets back, who get's the A?

View Poll Results: Staal or Girardi
Staal 53 66.25%
Girardi 27 33.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

I don't get it. This is like the thread(s) from the summer about who would be named captain.

The answers to these questions seem obvious, IMHO. Callahan was clearly getting the captaincy, and Staal is clearly getting the A back. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, because they don't take them away from players who missed time due to concussions, especially not players who played through them willingly (or as a result of organizational pressure; I don't think that was the case necessarily, but it isn't an impossible scenario).

Now, I believe you can technically run with 3, or have they changed it? Maybe they'll do that. Girardi deserves it if that is indeed possible.
I think you can only have 3 letters at a time

1 C and 2 A

or 3 A.

Emphasis on "I think".

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:27 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I think you can only have 3 letters at a time

1 C and 2 A

or 3 A.

Emphasis on "I think".
Thought the same and looked up the rule for ya guys:

Quote:
Rule 6 - Captain and Alternate Captains
6.1 Captain - One Captain shall be appointed by each team, and he alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game. He shall wear the letter C, approximately three inches (3'') in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of his sweater. No co-Captains are permitted. Either one Captain and no more than two Alternate Captains, or no Captain an no more than three Alternate Captains are permitted (see 6.2).

6.2 Alternate Captains If the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter A approximately three inches (3'') in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.
Only when the Captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.
So yea, any combination of 3 letters while only having one Captain.

Interesting that the rules don't actually lay out WHERE the "A" or "C" has to be placed.. just in a "conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters."

That'd be hilarious if someone wears their letter on the opposite side- and totally within the rules!

Heck, wear it right on top of the logo

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post

Interesting that the rules don't actually lay out WHERE the "A" or "C" has to be placed.. just in a "conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters."

That'd be hilarious if someone wears their letter on the opposite side- and totally within the rules!

Detroit wears it on the opposite side.

12-28-2011, 04:30 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If you can't have 3 alternates, then they'll either split the two of them, home/road, or I guess Staal could decide to give it away himself. I think it would be wrong to take it away from Staal. I'm sure Girardi is well aware of the respect the team has for him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:30 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Detroit wears it on the opposite side.
Do they really? That's awesome. Going to go look at their jerseys now.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:31 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

You sure? Could have recently made the change but I'll keep looking.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:

You sure? Could have recently made the change but I'll keep looking.
Yep. I found this picture from today on their gallery from today's game on their site.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:50 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Players don't need to see an A on Girardi's shoulder to respect what he does for the team on and off the ice... Staal will get the A back and the issue will be a 'non-issue' for the players & the organization.
That goes both ways though. Girardo has certainly stepped his game up since he was handed the A. I think they should let Girardi have it for the reminde of the year

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:

This is only in reference to during the game - a team can only have three letters on the ice. I don't think there's a limit to how many A's can actually be named. For example, Detroit has three rotating A's: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:43 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vengeance View Post
This is only in reference to during the game - a team can only have three letters on the ice. I don't think there's a limit to how many A's can actually be named. For example, Detroit has three rotating A's: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall.
I know Draper was part of the rotation, too. Was he in there instead of Kronwall?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:22 AM
eco's bones

I kind of look at it this way. There are some things that Marc does better than Dan. And some things Dan does better than Marc. To me they're practically equal.--though Marc is a couple years younger.

FWIW McDonagh is IMO going to at least be as good as both of them and maybe even better. He was excellent last year and he's made some major improvements this year.

And the way MDZ is playing--WTF! This could be the best defense corps in the league within a year or two. To go further I see Sauer now as our No. 5 guy and he is a solid, physical player who would be in just about any other teams top 4.

This could turn into an outstanding d-corps in front of a fantastic goalie.

Staal keeps the A.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
If we didn't enjoy the back and forth, and the "I told you so's", we wouldn't be on the internet. Calling out somebody for one thing or another, making claims about the team, just another way to make the games feel like they matter more.

Nobody here is gonna say "Well, of course I want them to win, but i'm not sure how it'll go." every game. No! We try to analyze, predict, find patterns, SOME WAY of knowing if we'll win or not. We put big claims on these predictions, some preparing for disappointment, others ready to believe in victory in the face of overwhelming odds, so that when we win we can look the universe in the face and say "See? I ****ing TOLD YOU they would win."

We'll argue and call each other out on our respective ********, but all we want, all we want is to hear Bettman say: "Ryan Callahan, come get the Stanley Cup!". Which he will immediately after hand off to Hank.
Fifty years of going to Rangers games all the way back to 1961 when Bathgate was their best player(he always will be my favorite player); he was the guy who took a young, talented frenchman named Rod Gilbert under his wing and taught him how to be a pro's pro. My first season tickets encompassed the years 1966(last 2 yrs of old garden) thru 1979. I gave them up when my older son was 3 years old and I eventually went back on the season subscribers list in 1993 finally getting back my season's in 1998 when the team began their infamous dryspell. Consequently, I wasn't there to see my beloved Rangers win the cup. I hope I get the opportunity to be there with my sons one day soon. I feel like time is running out for me!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I know Draper was part of the rotation, too. Was he in there instead of Kronwall?
yes, Kronwall took over (so to speak) for him this season.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:29 PM
terrrrrible

Loving Girardi's play right now but I think Staal gets it.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Why not give Staal and Girardi the "A", one on the road and one at home?

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
MSG the place to be*

C Callahan
A Staal
A Girardi

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:15 PM
petejudge

i think girardi will be glad to give it back to staal. not getting an A is in no way an insult and i think girardi will insist on staal taking the A. richards will keep his too.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

imho...if girardi were to go to staal and beg him to take the A back...its not gonna happen. staal will respectfully decline as i believe he should for now.girardi has more than earned it.

outlaw52 is offline   Reply With Quote