HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

“The Right Stuff” / Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators 7:00pm

Old
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
After watching a Preds game without Weber, I think his price just went up $500,000-$1,000,000 per year.
based on one game?

We game up how many with him in the lineup over the past few games?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:52 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Im starting to wonder if this isnt the problem with this team.

Something just isnt right, nobody seems to be playing with any heart, and I have to think Weber's dicking around with his contract and Suters seeming reluctance to sign has sapped their ability to act as leaders in the locker room... I can certainly see someone saying to them "how can you call my commitment into question when yours is clearly questionable?"

Wishing now we'd made Legwand the "C"....
I dont see how we comeback nght after night and anyone can accuse this team of no heart. maybe no brains at times, but I wouldn't question the character of the guys on this team.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:27 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I dont see how we comeback nght after night and anyone can accuse this team of no heart. maybe no brains at times, but I wouldn't question the character of the guys on this team.
Like the time during the first period they had one of the worst line changes I've ever seen. I think the 3 forwards went to the bench leaving only the 2 dmen back. No one jumped over the boards and Detroit came down on a 5-on-2. It wasn't until Detroit was crossing the blue line that the 3 guys came on the ice.

It's so frustrating to see our team get so many good chances and not convert only to have the other team come down on one rush and get a goal. But it happens all the time with this team. If we don't convert on our early chances but give up a goal, we usually don't recover and end up losing that game.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:29 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Character/heart aren't exactly "it" that I'm talking about. Comebacks do show fortitude, but getting behind 3-0 every game also shows a lackof something, I'm just not sure what the right term for that something is...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Character/heart aren't exactly "it" that I'm talking about. Comebacks do show fortitude, but getting behind 3-0 every game also shows a lackof something, I'm just not sure what the right term for that something is...
I hate to bring up the topic again, because i've pretty much dropped it and accepted that we have what we have and it isn't all that bad...

But I think the even-tempered/balanced approach that Trotz brings is a factor in this. (yeah I know, he turned over a table once and he "took numbers" once).

It seems that the Preds rarely come out with fire, either in a big game against a division rival, or against a weak opponent that could be finished off early.

I've never heard a Trotz pre-game speech personally, but his approach to everything, his responses in radio interviews (both post-game and others) suggest that his approach is to downplay the emotion of the situation and make sure his team is focused on whatever gameplan is installed for the next opponent. I think some of it is a by-product of letting the opponents style dictate how the Preds play. In the early years the Preds roster pretty much was what it was, so they didn't have the flexibility to adjust to the opponent, they simply played their game which was hard work and battling for 60 minutes. Now we have a more versatile roster and it's clear that rather than developing an identity, sticking to it and forcing it on the opponent, we all-to-often try to adapt to what the opponent is forcing upon the Preds. Either way, the result is that the players are thinking more about what they need to do to match an opponent, than about coming out with fire and playing their game.

A byproduct is that when it doesn't work early, it seems to rattle the players and snowball. Then we see a switch back to something more familiar and they start the comeback. The identity went from that hard working, grinding, chippy squad... to the defensively sound team that could limit quality chances and capitalize on mistakes... to whatever we have now. Not particularly good on the blueline, not too threatening offensively (unless it's desperation time). A roster full of generic players with some upside, but not unsure of itself and what it wants to be/can become.

It's not all bad, it's not like this approach is getting them blown out routinely and stinking it up in the basement of the league. But it's also limiting to where they can go, it's a middling approach that leads to middling results. We got the right opponent in the playoffs last season, facing Emery and his hip was a blessing, a few players stepped up and all the breaks went our way. That won't happen very often and you can't expect to adapt to an opponent through 7 games every series and succeed. You need an identity that you can force on an opponent. And it seems that for a team on a budget, it has to be a grinding, hard working, fiery identity. It can be supplemented with young talent that we now have in the system that we didn't have in the early days.

A lot of the pieces are there, a few changes need to be made. The approach to gameday is certainly one of them. I don't know if Trotz is capable of changing at this point. I don't want to start a fire Trotz topic again, just pointing out why I think the Preds come out flat so often.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
NoNecksCurse

great post legg.. I agree with pretty much everything you said and then some.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Leege, it's all about playing not to lose. It's not about playing to win. I agree with your sentiment for the most part. Detroit got us down the other night and came right back to score the back breaker some 11 seconds later I think. As a team you have to have the killer instinct. You have to come out focused every night. You can't let an injury to anyone on your team derail your game or season. Look at Pittsburgh, lose the best player in the league and still perform. Granted, they have other guys to step up but they didn't give up or throw in the towel. Philly hasn't even with the loss of Pronger for the season.

We as a team need to learn to play to win, not play not to lose or protect a lead. You do that and the other team is right back in the game.

I wonder if this season's collapse on the defensive side of things isn't so much a Trotz issue as much as it is losing Peterson behind the bench. He was a great defensive coach for us and maybe that's what's hurting us just as much as the youth of the team.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:07 PM
14ari13

Wings fan here.

I want to tell you that your announcers are very good andn classy.
I never saw that puck cross the line. But your announcers did not go bananas and complained and whined about the goal.
It seemed to me the puck went behind the post to the right, but I neve saw the conclusive angle showing it clearly in the net.

Good luck, hope you get Weber back.
I aslo think your fans at your arena are lound and make great atmosphere.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Wings fan here.

I want to tell you that your announcers are very good andn classy.
I never saw that puck cross the line. But your announcers did not go bananas and complained and whined about the goal.
It seemed to me the puck went behind the post to the right, but I neve saw the conclusive angle showing it clearly in the net.

Good luck, hope you get Weber back.
I aslo think your fans at your arena are lound and make great atmosphere.
thanks.
I agree the puck went behind the post. you could see it pretty well on the view facing the goal down low.

the only thing that was messed up is it appeared that the ref signaled no goal and then the announced review said that the call on the ice stood, they should have explained that better

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:34 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
thanks.
I agree the puck went behind the post. you could see it pretty well on the view facing the goal down low.

the only thing that was messed up is it appeared that the ref signaled no goal and then the announced review said that the call on the ice stood, they should have explained that better
I think almost everyone would agree the puck went in. my problem is that the official standing 3 feet from it called it no goal and a linesman 20 feet away saw it so well to overturn the call. I get that happens from time to time. My bigger problem is they did not announce it before the review they had overturned the call into a goal.

No matter if it were a goal or not, whatever call, good or no good would have stood.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
It's poise, which isn't all that surprising with such a young team, but it's the lack of it amongst some of the veterans which is a bigger concern.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote