HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Exactly. This is Tokarski's what 3rd? or 4th? season in Norfolk? How long do you continue to shelter him before finally letting him get his feet wet and get in for a few games? Can't measure where he's at development wise in terms of facing NHL level talent if he never plays against it.

Supposedly Nitty is being shopped by the Sharks (being dangled by the Sharks, not dangled TO them..hehe), any interest? A lot of us on here were kind of pissed we didn't re-sign him last year and instead opted for Smellis. Apparently he had hip surgery so that seems to be finally behind him and is playing in Worcester. Though he's played just 3 games, and only has an .878 save %. So I guess he'd fit right in with our current tandem!
Agreed, and normally i'd be gung ho about bringing him up if it weren't for the fact that he missed a LOT of time due to injury. On top of that, he really seems to be coming around now that his workload is increasing again and i'd hate to see him building something good with extra playing time only to come up here for 5 games, play one, and ride the pine.

BUT... if we give any **** about this season you have to take a look.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

McElhinney is on waivers.

Could he possibly live up to his first time here?

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

I don't think the shots allowed by the defense is a reason to criticize them. Teams are looking at the shaky goaltending and shooting from everywhere hoping for a rebound or for it to go right in...

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:22 PM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
McElhinney is on waivers.

Could he possibly live up to his first time here?
Could he possibly be worse than what we have now?

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 06:16 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I don't think the shots allowed by the defense is a reason to criticize them. Teams are looking at the shaky goaltending and shooting from everywhere hoping for a rebound or for it to go right in...
While I agree with you about that a bit, we also just cannot get out of our zone.

Old
12-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Squidbeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
Could he possibly be worse than what we have now?
Conceivably, yes.

Squidbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
ultra63

Future not so bright

The Bolts suck this year and rank 25th in NHL Organization Rankings. This may be a long term project.

"Strengths: The Lightning have a nice quartet of highly-skilled forward prospects in Brett Connolly, Carter Ashton, Richard Panik, and Vladislav Namestnikov. Radko Gudas and Mark Barberio have a ways to go, but are interesting options on the backend. In goal, Dustin Tokarski is a competitor that has worked his way to success at every level. Weaknesses: The Lightning system is extremely thin with little depth at any position, particularly defense. They have no top-pairing defenders, and only a handful that project as even NHL defensemen. Outside of their forwards, the system has no top-end talent. Top 5 prospects: 1. Brett Connolly, C, 2. Richard Panik, LW, 3. Vladislav Namestnikov, C, 4. Carter Ashton, RW, 5. Radko Gudas, D" http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_org...ings/?start=24

Old
12-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I Am Beat You

Niitymaki and Murray might be available. I'd be inclined to make a pitch for those two, although I'm not sure if the latter is a good fit as much as I like him.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
The Bolts suck this year and rank 25th in NHL Organization Rankings. This may be a long term project.

"Strengths: The Lightning have a nice quartet of highly-skilled forward prospects in Brett Connolly, Carter Ashton, Richard Panik, and Vladislav Namestnikov. Radko Gudas and Mark Barberio have a ways to go, but are interesting options on the backend. In goal, Dustin Tokarski is a competitor that has worked his way to success at every level. Weaknesses: The Lightning system is extremely thin with little depth at any position, particularly defense. They have no top-pairing defenders, and only a handful that project as even NHL defensemen. Outside of their forwards, the system has no top-end talent. Top 5 prospects: 1. Brett Connolly, C, 2. Richard Panik, LW, 3. Vladislav Namestnikov, C, 4. Carter Ashton, RW, 5. Radko Gudas, D" http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_org...ings/?start=24
Honestly believe we have one of the best forward groups in the whole league as far as prospect wise. Goalie prospects were pretty good overall, defense needs help. Don't agree with the rankings really at all.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:01 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Niitymaki and Murray might be available. I'd be inclined to make a pitch for those two, although I'm not sure if the latter is a good fit as much as I like him.
Yeah. Murray makes sense if you're tying to replace Ohlund's presence now but next season? Not so much, unless Ohlund is done as in DONE. And even then, I don't think his overall skillset makes him a likely target.

That said, the Lightning could do worse than Dougie Murray.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
While I agree with you about that a bit, we also just cannot get out of our zone.
Agreed. It seems the first pass is off and the forwards cannot get the puck from the D with any speed.

Regardless, this is a great chance for Yzerman to be reactive and make a move. He inherited a great team that was on the fringe but relied on Roloson to take them to game seven of the ECF.

Now he needs to address the breakout with some help of adding a defenceman that can move the puck quickly and a goalie who can keep them in games.

SJ is shopping Niittymakki, Harding could save the season if he could be pried out of Minnesota, Bachman looks like he can transition to a starter out of Dallas, Bernier could be had for the right price, Halak has taken a backup role to Elliot, Enroth is outplaying Miller...and Yzerman hasn't made a move.

8 points out isn't the end of the season (Anaheim last year) but climbing over 5 teams starts with someone who can play between the pipes in Tampa.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:45 PM
killcrypt

Any teams shopping goalies? The Lightning need a #1 Goalie really badly.

killcrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:10 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrypt View Post
Any teams shopping goalies? The Lightning need a #1 Goalie really badly.
Apparently Niittymaki is being shopped and I assume S. Mason, Nabokov, Clemmensen or even Gustavsson are at least available. Neither of them is a clear-cut #1 goaltender though.

Maybe Neuvirth or Holtby could be pried out of Washington, same goes for Harding in Minnesota. And for the right prize we could try and get Schneider or Bernier.

It all depends on how much Yzerman wants to give up and whether he's looking for a short-term or a long-term solution in net.

Third option: Do nothing, trade for some additional picks at the trade deadline and solidify our prospect pool and semi-rebuild in the summer. After all, Marty asked for a chance to contend again or he wouldn't re-sign. Well, that's what he got last season. Now Yzerman has MSL locked up and is in full tank-and-rebuild mode. Brilliant!

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 12-28-2011 at 08:50 AM.
LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:10 AM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Apparently Niittymaki is being shopped and I assume S. Mason, Nabokov, Clemmensen or even Gustavsson are at least available. Neither of them is a clear-cut #1 goaltender though.

Maybe Neuvirth or Holtby could be pried out of Washington, same goes for Harding in Minnesota. And for the right prize we could try and get Schneider or Bernier.

It all depends on how much Yzerman wants to give up and whether he's looking for a short-term or a long-term solution in net.

Third option: Do nothing, trade for some additional picks at the trade deadline and solidify our prospect pool and semi-rebuild in the summer. After all, Marty asked for a chance to contend again or he wouldn't re-sign. Well, that's what he got last season. Now Yzerman has MSL locked up and is in full tank-and-rebuild mode. Brilliant!

We might be able to pry Ilya Bryzgalov away from the Flyers

Old
12-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

Montoya got concussed, so I don't think there's as much of an urgency to trade away Nabokov now, especially given that the other guy is RDP, and that guy is absolutely going to get injured again.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:00 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Hodge, Peca, Ward and Panger on "should the Canucks trade Schneider" and on what would it take - especially by Tampa. Pang says "at least a 1st round pick, a high end prospect".

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip592548

Old
12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Hodge, Peca, Ward and Panger on "should the Canucks trade Schneider" and on what would it take - especially by Tampa. Pang says "at least a 1st round pick, a high end prospect".

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip592548
Lindback and Bernier would definitely be cheaper.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Lindback and Bernier would definitely be cheaper.
What makes Schneider so special to command that much?

Is there some possibility that the Canucks will trade Luongo and go with Schneider? Highly unlikely, and Tampa Bay can just as well go after Lindback, or Nitty, or Vokoun, or Turco, or Leclaire, or Bernier (probably Bernier, as he's from Laval), although he has 0 games of NHL playoff experience.

Tomas Popperle? What the hell. Throw him in there too.

These teams are selling goalies, and we're probably buying, but they've got to understand that SFY is loco. Nobody knows what he's going to do. He might surprise everybody, and get Eddie Lack.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-29-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old
12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

As briefly discussed in the GDT there's a rumor of Yannick Weber and/or Chris Campoli joining the Lightning soon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
Here's the link about Weber. Seems we would get Weber and Campoli would go to the Sharks or us.
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...de-116577.html

Google translated:
Quote:
A few hours of dual Canadian-Lightning, many rumors send the young defenseman Yannick Weber in the locker room with the opposite cast of Guy Boucher.

Chris Campoli could replace or accompany this possible transaction. His name is also circulating a rumor sending it to San Jose in exchange for draft picks.

For now, no player has been named the Lightning, but certainly Steve Yzerman is looking for a defender able to move immediately into the big league.

Florida relies on training only eight defenders with a professional contract, two (Hedman and Ohlund) now find themselves on the sidelines.

Weber, 23, has 82 games of experience in the Canadiens uniform since the beginning of his career, he was a third-round pick of the team in 2007.

The right-handed defenseman, a native of Morges, Switzerland, has 11 points, including three goals in 33 games this season. He will earn $ 850 000 until the end of his contract, which expires in the summer of 2013.

The Helvetian watched the last game of his from the bridge Tuesday night and should do the same Thursday night.

Signed just days before the start of the regular season, Campoli, 27, has participated in only seven games in the tri-color uniform, scoring one goal.

In the first game of the season in Toronto, he had injured a hamstring muscle and was therefore forced to miss nearly two months of activity.

Campoli was also removed from training after a difficult encounter (-3) against the Jets on December 22. It involves a contract of $ 1.75 million for the 2011 season.

Old
12-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Weber is a pretty interesting pickup. And since Shea will obviously be coming here in the off season, we could sport a Weber-squared line in the future.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
What makes Schneider so special to commnd that much.
I think Pang was suggesting what Schneider would cost in-season, now or at the trade deadline. Schneider's value should fall along with much of Vancouver's leverage in the off-season.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
What makes Schneider so special to command that much?

Is there some possibility that the Canucks will trade Luongo and go with Schneider? Highly unlikely, and Tampa Bay can just as well go after Lindback, or Nitty, or Vokoun, or Turco, or Leclaire, or Bernier (probably Bernier, as he's from Laval), although he has 0 games of NHL playoff experience.

Tomas Popperle? What the hell. Throw him in there too.

These teams are selling goalies, and we're probably buying, but they've got to understand that SFY is loco. Nobody knows what he's going to do. He might surprise everybody, and get Eddie Lack.
I don't get your unbreakable love for Turco, hes ****ing awful.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Schneider: 48 NHL games
Bernier: 40 NHL games

I would still call these goalies unproven. How will they work with our weak defense? Are they really worth giving up loads for? They have both been back-up goalies, none of them have been tested as a nr 1 for a whole season.

Im not so sure.

12-30-2011, 12:30 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Schneider: 48 NHL games
Bernier: 40 NHL games

I would still call these goalies unproven. How will they work with our weak defense? Are they really worth giving up loads for? They have both been back-up goalies, none of them have been tested as a nr 1 for a whole season.

Im not so sure.
That's my biggest concern too. We had our fair share of young and talented backup goalies we traded for, who were supposed to be our #1 and eventually failed.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
chasespace

Has anyone mentioned Biron? Last year of his contract with NYR. Numbers have been great(although his starts are cherry-picked), proved he can be as #1 as he used to be one. Not the youngest tool in the shed(will turn 35 August 15) but you can probably give him a 2 year deal similar to Garon, have them battle it out for the starter which gives Tik another year(if deemed necessary).

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote