HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs. Capitals. 7:30pm. Verizon Center. 12.28.2011

Old
12-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
the caps dont reward optimism, therefore i have none. this is an incapable offensive zone team against an elite goalie, chock full of incomptent backcheckers against the likes of richards and gaborik, who just happens to be leading the league in goals.

5-1 rangers, though im gunshy on pounding the 60 minute NYR line for some reason. idk.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
This game feels extra important, almost like playoffs... need to take care of high flying rags... with Lloyd in da house, get it done!

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
@ Atlas, I call those "feel good" games for the home team. Let them have it.

Our tending while shoddy overall early in games; but I'd wager the record will show they are not getting early goal support themselves. If a team always gives up an early goal, no matter the reason, its one of those here we go again scenarios. We need to come out strong, and its no magic trick. You need to hit early and often. You can just flip the switch and say, hey lets score early today. Just a few big hits and everyone will say we came out strong.

Coming out strong is all about hitting; setting the tone, creating energy in the stands and on the bench, forcing turnovers, imposing our will, putting any timid players in their place; making a statement that its not going to be another laugher. Shiat, Ovi is bringing it tonight.

Hopefully, Voks brings his A game tonight. I want Huntsy to name Voks the undisputed #1 and then I want to bring Holtby up to back up and occasionally pitch a shutout. The only caveat to that is if the locker room is so screwed up that it'd infect Holtby, too.

Anyway, here's to hoping for a great win tonight and maybe we'll soon see a few good trades to get the chemistry right.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Devil Dancer

Ah, Lloyd. Lloyd giveth, and Lloyd taketh away in the playoffs. If we turn to him now, are we doomed in April? Who am I kidding, we're doomed in April anyway. Now where's my Fedorov Shining avatar?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:48 AM
tycoonheart

They play much better at home, so I don't think its going to be as bad as some of you are suggesting.

And they usually come out firing at home.

This is going to be about Vokoun. He can't let those softies in again. If he lets one of those in early it will deflate the team.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:53 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Based on comments by Laich in the paper I want to think the Boys will come out on fire tonight and set the tone from the opening drop of the puck. Then again, I have zero confidence whatever energy the Boys open the game with will be sustained for more than half a period. What a difference a year makes.

Has Vokoun been named the starter tonight? Seems like a lock based on Neuvy's showing in Buffalo. Heres to hoping Vokoun got the message and plays like the grizzled Vet everyone says he is. Put up or shut up time.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
tycoonheart

What exactly did Laich say?

Old
12-28-2011, 09:16 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
What exactly did Laich say?
From Katie's blog:

“If people don’t realize it, we’re in a dog fight. We’re not playing good hockey, we need to improve right now,” Laich said. “There’s no complacency -- there’s no thinking that there’s a magic switch that’s going to make it turn on. It’s going to take work to get out of this. It’s going to take work and believing in your teammates and that’s the only way it’s going to happen.”

The usual rah rah stuff. Theres more here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

Old
12-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Bonzai

4-2 Rags. Goals by Chimera and MoJo. Caps held to under 20 shots for the game.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Brave Sir Robin

5-1 Rangers, with Vokoun letting in a couple goals from 90 degree angle.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:24 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
From Katie's blog:

“If people don’t realize it, we’re in a dog fight. We’re not playing good hockey, we need to improve right now,” Laich said. “There’s no complacency -- there’s no thinking that there’s a magic switch that’s going to make it turn on. It’s going to take work to get out of this. It’s going to take work and believing in your teammates and that’s the only way it’s going to happen.”

The usual rah rah stuff. Theres more here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak
The video's on Caps365 too... he sounded PISSED. Quite different from his norm. I think I even saw him glare.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

At some point, sound bites from a team in a nosedive aren't worth a bucket of spit.

For some ungodly reason, I'm going to this one. Gott in Himmell.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Eh, 5-5 since the coaching change isn't really a nosedive. More of a stall, and there's still a chance to pull out of it. Not a lot of time though. Caps need to start winning pronto.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
txpd

just watched it. he was pissed. at the question. sounded like it was vogel, but i could be wrong. the question said the caps might be complacent. that word set laich off. thats all that was. up to that point he was trying the best he could to say that he himself needed to play better and was not putting it on the coaches but the individuals to be ready to play. nothing new from laich.

taking up drake's point, laich addressed that as well. "well done is more important than well said."

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Eh, 5-5 since the coaching change isn't really a nosedive. More of a stall, and there's still a chance to pull out of it. Not a lot of time though. Caps need to start winning pronto.
11th place from 1st place last season is a nose dive.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just watched it. he was pissed. at the question. sounded like it was vogel, but i could be wrong. the question said the caps might be complacent. that word set laich off. thats all that was. up to that point he was trying the best he could to say that he himself needed to play better and was not putting it on the coaches but the individuals to be ready to play. nothing new from laich.

taking up drake's point, laich addressed that as well. "well done is more important than well said."
He harped on that quite a bit actually. Slightly ironic from TSL but meh. But yeah, you could definitely tell that question/word struck a nerve.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:52 AM
G3 LesPaul

I watched it. He KNOWS who in the locker room isn't trying. I just want to know who

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
He harped on that quite a bit actually. Slightly ironic from TSL but meh. But yeah, you could definitely tell that question/word struck a nerve.
most teams have a captain that stands up in front of the media for his team. the caps for a long time had kolzig and a captain. i wonder why we hear so little from ovechkin on this subject. the language issue can only take it so far.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Just heard on the radio that Jay Beagle is playing tonight. Not like getting Green back, but its better than nothing.

Who will Beagle replace in the lineup?

Old
12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
most teams have a captain that stands up in front of the media for his team. the caps for a long time had kolzig and a captain. i wonder why we hear so little from ovechkin on this subject. the language issue can only take it so far.
Its not just language. Its a culture thing as well. I don't think Ovi knows how to stand in front of the camera for 10 minutes and keep saying the "right things". Nothing against Ovi, doing things that way was probably never a part of hockey in Russia. Are there any other young Russians in the NHL who is smooth at that? How long did it take Federov to look comfortable and suave in front of the camera?

And just because Ovi isn't comfortable saying the "captainy" things in front of the camera doesn't mean it makes him a bad captain. I've seen how the team as a whole responds when Ovi's got a jump in his game. When Ovi gets going the entire team gets going. And leading by example is something a captain needs to do well.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Brave Sir Robin

I would imagine Beagle would replace Perrault.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

I would love to see OV more in the intermission interviews, and after the games, but I will settle for reading that he led an optional skate instead of being the first name mentioned that didn't participate.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Beagle confirmed back in tonight by DH. /katies twitter.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
tycoonheart

Yep, MP out.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Yep, MP out.
I assume MP is out after hurting himself last game. He played well the last game so it shouldn't be due to his performance. Who is going to center the 4th line? Hendricks?

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote