HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Game 36: Flames at Blue Jackets, 12/27, 7 p.m. EST, FSOhio

Old
12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
squarelaces

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Well, it was entertainment. Shoot out kept the crowd in it. What else can be said?
Nice play, but I'm not buying.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I had a hard time getting into it at Nationwide tonight. That NEVER happens!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoMasedAgain View Post
True and Truer. Nash is a great player on all-star teams. Slightly above average when he's "the guy". I'm tired of watching him in a CBJ uni.
Also, numnuts Arniel with Wiz in the shoot out? What a pathetic effort and equally pathetic call by our moron of a coach. Paying Carter a gazillion $$$$ to watch shoot outs. Ahhhhhhgggghhh!
Seemed like the effort was there tonight to me.

You do realize that Wiz has a better career shootout percentage than Carter, right? 3 for 6 (now 3 for 7) vs 3 for 21. Wiz also won a game with his last shootout attempt. Carter's not paid for shootouts, and every coach he's had has used him the same way. The most attempts he's ever had was 6 and in recent seasons, only 1 or 2 attempts.

Nash is the least of the problems here, and a lightning rod for lazy fans' criticism, IMO.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:56 PM
UNDBluejacketsfan

Had a great time at the game!!! Even though it was a loss, it felt great to be amongst fellow fans. Dont get to see that much around my parts.

My thoughts on the game..
Pros
1. Mason looking better in regulation. Some good saves tonight
2. Doing a much better job at blocking shots.
3. We seemed to play a full 60 minutes for the most part.

Cons
1. Mason still needs to work on his shootouts. He overreacts to most shots.
2. Neutral zone turnovers really need to be tuned down.

UNDBluejacketsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:46 PM
EdwardG
North!

I don't find any positives when they put out a full effort, because what comes always goes. There's no consistency in the effort, which is one reason why this team is a loser (in addition to its 'fragility').

Arniel seemed happy in the post-game to come out with a point, this to a mediocre team at home. That's what seems acceptable: part-time effort and the occasional win or 'moral victory.' Perhaps a reason why this franchise is so awful.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:44 AM
EDM

Not a matter of "buying it". Just reality. A somewhat entertaining home game is about all that can be expected anymore. Wins? That is crazy talk.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:05 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Arniel seemed happy in the post-game to come out with a point, this to a mediocre team at home. That's what seems acceptable: part-time effort and the occasional win or 'moral victory.' Perhaps a reason why this franchise is so awful.
At this point you have to build on the real positives. Don't inflate poor performances (like he has a tendency to, at least to the fans), but last night was a good effort. Acknowledge it and prepare like hell for the next one.

I enjoyed watching lasts nights game. I haven't had that feeling very often all season. It might not last, in fact it probably won't. But for one game, I enjoyed watching this team again.

I know we are in perceptual cliff diving mode, it clouds our objectivity.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leotroy82 View Post
may i suggest an occupy nationwide movement to you folks....im a wings fan but hell ill come up and help. you guys have suffered enough...

No you may not.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Whatthehellwasthat
I am defense

I guess the way I look at things when my team is playing the way the cbj are is that each game is to be enjoyed for it's own sake. The season is gone so I don't bother looking at the standings instead I turn the tv on or go to the game hoping to be entertained for that period of time. It's not much but it's what I have.

( I have been a lions fan for 45 years, and was a fan of the Redwings when they actually deserved the name deadthings and it's how I cope.)

Whatthehellwasthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:12 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I think that chess is more action than our play...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Bobcat110

I'm so apathetic now with this team...I'll try to keep my interest in the Blue Jackets by recalling some of the better times.

(thinks of the time the CBJ were good enough that a Calgary fan actually called a death threat in against Mason.)

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:16 AM
OhNoMasedAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Seemed like the effort was there tonight to me.

You do realize that Wiz has a better career shootout percentage than Carter, right? 3 for 6 (now 3 for 7) vs 3 for 21. Wiz also won a game with his last shootout attempt. Carter's not paid for shootouts, and every coach he's had has used him the same way. The most attempts he's ever had was 6 and in recent seasons, only 1 or 2 attempts.

Nash is the least of the problems here, and a lightning rod for lazy fans' criticism, IMO.
Effort didn't equate in a win against a lower tier team AT HOME.

Lazy fans? Get a clue. True team studs get the job done like 61's counterpart Iginla last night. He is no leader and has "settled" for the $$$ and playing to a subpar level. HTake off your rose-colored glasses and NEVER accuse me of being a lazy fan!!!!

Yeah, love seeing Wiz make one "move" and taking a wrister from the blue line in the shootout. By the way, his only shootout goal for the CBJ was a stumbling fluke that he even acknowledged as being so (as the whole team was chiding him). You give me stats on Carter (which I'm very aware of). My point was we are paying this guy the dough, good stick handler, speed, with great hands. Regardless of stats...I'll take my chances with him over Wiz ANY DAY.

OhNoMasedAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:18 AM
blahblah

Quote:

Lazy fans? Get a clue. True team studs get the job done like 61's counterpart Iginla last night. He is no leader and has "settled" for the $$$ and playing to a subpar level. HTake off your rose-colored glasses and NEVER accuse me of being a lazy fan!!!!
Uh, thanks for the lecture. Improvement is improvement, even if there is a lot of work to be done. You rarely go from pure suck to winning, there are stages of improvement. I don't expect them to build off of it, but you never know.

I'm amused when people are offended by generalizations.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
OhNoMasedAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I had a hard time getting into it at Nationwide tonight. That NEVER happens!
Not to worry. After the benefit of the holidays the 'Wide will afford everyone an intimate experience with 7-8000 fans. No long lines at the concession stands, restrooms. Tickets will be scanned at breakneck speed. No more $$$$ out of my pocket until this entire abomination of a team is blown up and rebuilt by someone with a true hockey IQ/Pedigree. WE hockey fans DESERVE better than this garbage being dished out night after night.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:29 AM
OhNoMasedAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Uh, thanks for the lecture. Improvement is improvement, even if there is a lot of work to be done. You rarely go from pure suck to winning, there are stages of improvement. I don't expect them to build off of it, but you never know.

I'm amused when people are offended by generalizations.
Glad to amuse you. Let me know when I can be of service again

Old
12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
OhNoMasedAgain

Quote:
Glad to amuse you. Let me know when I can be of service again
BTW what exact stage of improvement can you sanely say we are in? God help you

Old
12-28-2011, 10:25 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
That's why he was in the shootout.... Oops.
Thats on Arniel.

Stupid Arniel....

Watch this video

Can someone fix it, please? Sorry.

Last edited by gojackets1: 12-28-2011 at 10:44 AM.
gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Thats on Arniel.

Stupid Arniel....

Watch this video

Can someone fix it, please? Sorry.
try that.(only put the letters at the end of the youtube url between the YT tags)

(sorry, was just passing through... mods feel free to fix the OP and delete mine if desired)

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
try that.(only put the letters at the end of the youtube url between the YT tags)

(sorry, was just passing through... mods feel free to fix the OP and delete mine if desired)
There we go, thanks! Thats good to know now.

Old
12-28-2011, 11:51 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Effort doesn't guarantee a win against anyone anywhere, but lack of effort will almost always guarantee a loss. While I'm not pleased with the overall game and result, I can acknowledge that the effort was there. Calling last night's effort "pathetic" is an odd judgement of the game that makes me think you're probably more interested in bashing Nash and Arniel than making a fair judgement of the game.

Quote:
Then put some thought in your criticisms. Nash is low hanging fruit to folks. Highly paid, talented, team captain. I get it. It's easy to pile on Nash at this point. There are bigger problems with this team than Nash. It's a complex issue, but if you don't want to get into that and just spew buzzwords about Nash being fat/lazy/whatever, then I think it's a lazy effort on your part. Sorry you disagree.

Quote:
Yeah, love seeing Wiz make one "move" and taking a wrister from the blue line in the shootout. By the way, his only shootout goal for the CBJ was a stumbling fluke that he even acknowledged as being so (as the whole team was chiding him). You give me stats on Carter (which I'm very aware of). My point was we are paying this guy the dough, good stick handler, speed, with great hands. Regardless of stats...I'll take my chances with him over Wiz ANY DAY.
If you're aware of those stats and choose to ignore them, then that's your prerogative I guess. There's a lot to scratch your head about with Arniel, but this decision isn't one of them. Unless of course, you think Lavy and Hitch are also idiots.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
BTW what exact stage of improvement can you sanely say we are in? God help you
Competing for one game. Exactly what I said before. If you are going for condescending, perhaps I can draw it out with some crayons for you? You've heard of a process, correct? You start with competing for a shift. Then stringing together shifts, then a period. Then you go for two, then a whole 60 minutes. Eventually you string together 5 and 10 game segments. Eventually competing is a habit and you don't know anything else.

I can create a diagram for you if you like....

Don't need Gods guidance in anything that isn't bound to morality, but thank you for the thought.

However, thanks for the continued merriment.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Thats on Arniel.

Stupid Arniel....

Watch this video

<brassard converts a shootout attempt>
Did you seriously just post the ONLY shootout goal in Brassard's career as evidence of Arniel's stupidity? Wowza.

So anytime a guy misses in a shootout, are we to find another player who converted one once upon a time and complain about why he wasn't used? All any coach has to go on are career stats and who's been putting them in during SO practice.

FYI, career stats of active CBJ players in shootouts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

Arniel makes some boneheaded moves, but this kind of over-the-top criticism drives me nuts. Of all the things to pick apart, we're really going to fixate on him using Wiz in a shootout? Really?

Old
12-28-2011, 12:14 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Arniel makes some boneheaded moves, but this kind of over-the-top criticism drives me nuts. Of all the things to pick apart, we're really going to fixate on him using Wiz in a shootout? Really?
I agree, I don't like Arniel, but I can hardly find fault with his decision for the shootouts. Was there a great deal of praise when we won 3 in a row in the shootout (I think it was)?

Things are so bad now, objectivity is completely lost. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are just aren't watching the game, look at the score, and decide it's time to start the hammering.

As I said earlier, I enjoyed watching us play for the first time in a long time. Still cringed at some silly unforced turnovers, but I liked the compete from the players. As I said earlier in the thread, it was the first time in a long time I didn't feel like we had a bunch of passengers. It was one of the few games were I felt like Carter was engaged for a few shifts in a row. Nash had some spunk. We had some attitude, collectively. For example, I saw Brassard actually fight through a check. We don't see a lot of that from him. It was real, live, puck hunger.

It wasn't the result we had hoped for (well most of us), but I enjoyed Blue Jackets hockey for a night.

I take objection with Howson saying "We aren't good enough". We have most of our top six under performing. We aren't competing. This team can win, even with our poor defense and questionable goal tending. I don't think it can go as far as we'd like in the playoffs, but it can make the playoffs (obviously this year is shot). The only reason I would like to see some players moved is that they don't compete as often as they are capable. That was the theme I was using with Dorse and DM. Those guys compete on most shifts. I'll take that over some of the other skill players that don't. Obviously you can't have a team of pure grinders, but they can set the tone. That's my biggest disappointment with RJ this year. Until recently (and even then it's been sporadic) he hasn't been competing. Without that level of compete, he isn't going to produce at this level.

Last edited by blahblah: 12-28-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Great post by both Wooten and Blahblah, you both have more or less covered how I feel but have been to lazy to post.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Did you seriously just post the ONLY shootout goal in Brassard's career as evidence of Arniel's stupidity? Wowza.

So anytime a guy misses in a shootout, are we to find another player who converted one once upon a time and complain about why he wasn't used? All any coach has to go on are career stats and who's been putting them in during SO practice.

FYI, career stats of active CBJ players in shootouts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

I'm not saying that I disagree with his choices in the shootout, especially with what Wiz did earlier this month, I'd just like to see him give some others a chance. My post was in response to a conversation about Brass's shot, and his shootout skills. Now I realize it was only one time but those are still some pretty slick moves.