HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Wolski needs to show Torts that he is the answer for Richards/Callahan LW problems.

Hagelin is a solid prospect that has earned his role on the team, but Wolski has that kind of skill that you have to at the very least give him a shot with those two guys.

If he's NOT the answer, then we have to move him before the deadline.

A team out west fighting for a PO spot may take a chance on him.

Hagelin has done nothing wrong, but for the good of the team we have to see what Wolski has for a few games as a LW on that line.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Cup teams also have players who, while not the best 2-way players, can bring offense. Ryder last season is a good example. They bring secondary scoring and as long as you can play them with players who can balance it out, it works out.

No team is 100% 2-way players.
Depth undoubtedly is very important and you could sure have worse depth then Wolski. Many teams are sent golfing because they run out of decent players to put on the ice.

But to your argument, I still have doubts because WW to be honest is pretty darn one dimensional. He creates very little on his own. A player like Ryder can out of no where turn a player insideout and pot one. WW isn't that player.

He is strong on the puck and half good at burying a chance, but for the role we are talking about, it seems like you could do alot better...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Bottom line is Torts doesnt like Wolski and we know how that story ends.
I just don't believe that. If Torts really wanted him gone, he would have been bought out last summer for a measly $400K in dead cap space.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Timmy Erixon is going down to the AHL after game tonight IF there are no injuries on D tonight

Quote:
Tortorella said he can see some improvement from this four-game stretch for Erixon as compared to his previous nine games. For instance, Tortorella raved about a simple backhand pass Erixon made in traffic in his zone that led to an odd-man rush the other way. Still, Tortorella believes Erixon is still being banged around too much and spending too much time on the ice as he adapts his game to the smaller North American rinks. At Connecticut, Erixon can continue to develop his game.

ďI still think he gets banged all over the place, he can handle it but he spent a lot of time on the ice as far as getting banged around. Thatís biggest point, can he handle the little areas, heís shown signs. Itís coming but he still needs to play.Ē
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...n_to_ahl_soon/

Opens up a roster spot.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Wolski needs to show Torts that he is the answer for Richards/Callahan LW problems.
This 1000%.

Additionally I would add that he needs to be much stronger along the boards and show that he can back check when needed.

If he can boost that line a bit and do the other things consistently he'll play some good minutes. Other wise he's a goner, IMO. I tend to think "gone" is where his situation will shake out in the end.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:37 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I don't think that's really the case...and I'll use EC as an example, what Torts see's in both of them is a lot of talent but no consistency but he has given EC and to a lesser extent WW lots of opportunities to connect their talent to their hearts.

Torts does not suffer fools gladly, but he won't cut off his nose to spite his face, he knows he needs a "skill" guy like WW for this team to take the next step in the playoffs.

Like EC, it's all up to WW to show that he can put it together more than just sporadically.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Torts is not as black & white with players as some fans are inclined to believe... Wolski got a lot of playing time last season with Stepan when that line was clicking.... He got demoted accordingly as he started to struggle.... 12 points through his first 18 games, 6 points through his last 18 games.... Torts demands defensive responsibility from his players... You saw him in the lockerroom on 24/7 during St. Louis game where he threatened them and said if they weren't "stiff" they weren't going to play.... Wolski isn't exactly the most responsible player away from the puck... If he's going to create turnovers or miss defensive coverages out there, he won't get many minutes...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:18 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:

Hagelin is a solid prospect that has earned his role on the team, but Wolski has that kind of skill that you have to at the very least give him a shot with those two guys.

Hagelin has done nothing wrong, but for the good of the team we have to see what Wolski has for a few games as a LW on that line.
Hagelin already answered this question, and did so much cheaper than WW.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Hagelin already answered this question, and did so much cheaper than WW.
No he hasn't. Richie hasn't hooked up with Hagelin once.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

You make it sound so right but your so wrong. Wolski has had his oppurtunity he did nothing didnt earn ice time, was not good with Gaborik and was even scratched mutliple games. What has changed nothing. Hagelin is scoring and is way better than WW and hes a fkin rookie who might get better. Seriously there is no debate its Hagelins job to lose and he earned breathing space also. If WW has any shot it is against Mitchell.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Its avery he doesent like, WW has not earned more playing time than hes got in fact he should have been bought out. Avery on the other hand offers more on the ice and is not playing.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Erixon getting sent back to Hartford must mean one of several things...

1) Woywitka is back by Friday.

2) Staal is back by Friday. No chance.

3) Eminger is back by Friday. No chance.

4) Bell or another defenseman is being recalled.

5) A trade is in the works.

I'm guessing Woywitka is back in the lineup by Friday.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
True. He also hasn't really had all that much time with Hagelin as a linemate. Right now though, and this is my personal feeling (therefore subject to obvious scrutiny), Hagelin is producing and playing well in all 3 zones. I think the team needs to be finding him ice-time of top six capacity. Replacing him in the lineup with a demotion back to bottom 6 minutes doesn't appear to be in the team's best interest.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
True. He also hasn't really had all that much time with Hagelin as a linemate. Right now though, and this is my personal feeling (therefore subject to obvious scrutiny), Hagelin is producing and playing well in all 3 zones. I think the team needs to be finding him ice-time of top six capacity. Replacing him in the lineup with a demotion back to bottom 6 minutes doesn't appear to be in the team's best interest.
Hagelin is very good, no doubt, but it's not a "demotion" if he goes to the bottom 6, it just means our team is that much better.

If you can get Hagelin on the 3rd line and Wolski performing well on the 2nd line, the team as a whole is better.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hagelin is very good, no doubt, but it's not a "demotion" if he goes to the bottom 6, it just means our team is that much better.

If you can get Hagelin on the 3rd line and Wolski performing well on the 2nd line, the team as a whole is better.
Wolski on the 2nd line and performing the way you want him to is a big IF.

It's clear that you want a quality sniper on that 2nd line, but we unfortunately do not have that type of sniper in our farm and ready to be called up any time soon. Therefore we need a trade for a sniper because unfortunately Wolski will probably not be able to perform the way we need him to on that 2nd line (if he's even given the chance).

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Erixon getting sent back to Hartford must mean one of several things...

1) Woywitka is back by Friday.

2) Staal is back by Friday. No chance.

3) Eminger is back by Friday. No chance.

4) Bell or another defenseman is being recalled.

5) A trade is in the works.

I'm guessing Woywitka is back in the lineup by Friday.
Woywitka back in tonight, if all D healthy after the game then Erixon goes to Whale...per various Tweets from the beat writers today.

Coach John Tortorella said if Woywitka and Bickel make it through the game healthy and there is no need for an extra defenseman Friday at Florida, Erixon will be returned to Connecticut (AHL) after tonightís game and not accompany the team to Fort Lauderdale.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Woywitka back in tonight, if all D healthy after the game then Erixon goes to Whale...per various Tweets from the beat writers today.

Coach John Tortorella said if Woywitka and Bickel make it through the game healthy and there is no need for an extra defenseman Friday at Florida, Erixon will be returned to Connecticut (AHL) after tonightís game and not accompany the team to Fort Lauderdale.
and what if one of them gets hurt in florida at practice sometimes things like this happen. id return Erixon after the Winter Classic if i was part of the Rangers organization

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
To be fair, Richards has not played his best games over the last several games... His skating has been sluggish... He has gotten some opportunities to score here and there but overall his game has not been as elevated as it can be.... Richards did feed Hagelin early on in the 1st period of our last game, in which Hagelin deflected the puck just wide of the far post.

I usually don't take a pessimistic view of things but in Wolski's situation, I am feeling confident that he's not going to prove to be a consistent difference maker out on the ice.... He didn't accomplish that last season and it's a large part of the reason why he's been getting moved from team to team... No consistency, and he doesn't provide enough out on the ice if he's not contributing offensively.... Not expecting him to shed that label for the remainder of this season, even with it being a contract year for him....

I'd stick him in a 3rd line role and give him 5-8 games to prove he deserves to be in this line-up.... If he struggles, ship him out for whatever you can get for him.... If he plays really well (not likely IMHO), I'd consider trying to get him on the 2nd line ice time.... But right now, Hagelin is playing well and I think he should be left in that role....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:43 PM
broadwayblue

I wonder whether Richards is nursing a lower body injury. He got rocked by the boards a few games back and he's seemed somewhat invisible to me since.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
and what if one of them gets hurt in florida at practice sometimes things like this happen. id return Erixon after the Winter Classic if i was part of the Rangers organization
I'm pretty sure they could get Erixon to the game Friday night if someone got hurt in Thursday's practice.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
It's beyond time that the Wolski project be put down. Hasn't played a full (or close enough to a full) season since 08-09 when he played 78 games. Maxed out at 22 goals in 06-07. Did a whole lot of nothing to show he even belongs in the league during his collective 30 seconds of ice time. I'm failing to see where the infatuation with him stemmed from. Why has he repeatedly been given a pass for being worthless? Because he has absolutely no return value right now? I just don't understand why he's still being included in this team's plans to any degree at all, for "when he's healthy."

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:47 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
It's beyond time that the Wolski project be put down. Hasn't played a full (or close enough to a full) season since 08-09 when he played 78 games. Maxed out at 22 goals in 06-07. Did a whole lot of nothing to show he even belongs in the league during his collective 30 seconds of ice time. I'm failing to see where the infatuation with him stemmed from. Why has he repeatedly been given a pass for being worthless? Because he has absolutely no return value right now? I just don't understand why he's still being included in this team's plans to any degree at all, for "when he's healthy."
He played 80 games in 09/10 and finished with 65 points.

Old
12-28-2011, 11:39 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I agree to an extent.

I don't understand a lot people's love for Wolski here. I see mnay wanting him on the 1st/2nd line over guys who are producing as is, in Anisimov and Hagelin. Why mess with the chemistry?

Im fine with giving him minutes possibly on the 4th line or so until he proves something.
I understand your point, but my fear is Hagelin is gonna get screwed in this, and he just does not deserve that, and it could hurt his confidence if it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Am I the only one who though Wolski had made strides in his game based on what I saw in his 6 games earlier this season? I thought he looked more willing to go to the dirty areas and fight for the puck. I may be wrong, but I think the guy at least deserves a shot to see if he can produce. I wouldn't put him in unless someone else deserves some time in the pressbox, but just sending him to the minors would be a waste of a potential asset. If he plays well, he raises his trade value, and we may be able to trade him for an upgrade, or something of value. He's not long for Broadway, and there's no way in hell he's qualified in the offseason, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss him entirely. Keep his leash short, but at least give the guy a chance to produce. He's already shown he's capable, and if anyone can get something out of him, it's Torts.
Ok, fair point..but again, who's getting benched to make room for him? My guess is Hagelin, which I have a major problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
That's a little harsh, do you think. The guy worked his ass off this summer and it's a contract year for him. You can't play well when you are hurt.

Let's see what he's got before we cut bait. There are two things you can count on in the next several weeks. Tortorella will scramble the lines. Probably more than once. And someone else will get hurt. WW will get his chance, he's just going to have to earn it. Stay tuned.
Harsh? Yeah, maybe..I'm just not a fan of Wolski, and don't see a where he fits in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I can give you a lot more reasons for Wolski to be here than I can for Avery or Christensen.
Lol..well, I can't think of ANY reason for Christensen to be here (he can't even score in the shootout anymore), so you win there. As far as Avery goes, say what you want about Sean, he provided an instant spark once he was put in the line up. Wolski could do that as well, but he is also just as likely to be invisible.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:12 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
He played 80 games in 09/10 and finished with 65 points.
big deal he had a streak of a points on a **** team, Adam Hall had 27 goals one year what happened after that hes lucky to get 5.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:30 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
big deal he had a streak of a points on a **** team, Adam Hall had 27 goals one year what happened after that hes lucky to get 5.
Huh? Hall never scored 27 goals. His high was 16. He hit 10+ three times

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote