HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #36 - St Louis Blues @ Detroit Redwings

Old
12-27-2011, 10:49 PM
leotroy82

vCash: 500
gg blues fans.

leotroy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:52 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Swaggering count 4. All Wings doing the swaggering.

Puck's been knifed four times. Lotta skittering and careening and Emrick hitting puberty.
You. Are. Awesome.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
stlweir

Robb_K as usual is right on. The Blues played with 5 D men for 2/3rds of the game and Polak left the bench for a bit of the 3rd period so they played with 4 for a while and they wore down. I didn't see the Russell injury or what happened to Dags.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:19 PM
STLhockey91*

Anyone see Zetterberg holding Backes's stick right before the third goal? That was ridiculous. Also, datsyuk's elbow to Jackman's face? what the hell is that about? So I guess this is how the Wings have to play when they get frustrated against a good team. That game would have been over if we had Mcdonald and Oshie.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:22 AM
stlblueskiwi

Now that I've calmed down and can think rationally
Have to say we really threw away that game. Maybe a good lesson for the playoffs to be taken out of this game in that you absolutely have to bury your clear shooting chances of which we had a few because elite teams will bury you if you don't. Elite teams just don't go away. It was a good effort and yes we were missing some key players but man we had some great chances to bury them and great goaltending/ poor shot selection take your pick but we didn't take them and it cost us in the end.

stlblueskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:59 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
The personal arguments stop or infractions will follow.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:01 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

That was a great game played at a high intensity level. The Blues could have won. The Redwings made a great push-back at home and just managed to pull out the win.

The Blues are a bit depleted at the moment, and losing Russell hurt a lot, too. Yet they still battled toe to toe and could easily have won that game. I wish D'Agostini could have put some elevation on that shot, should have been 3-0 at that point.

Hopefully Oshie, Langenbrunner and Sobotka are all good to go for the next game in 5 days. Its also nice to see the PP starting to play with confidence.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:27 AM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
That was a great game played at a high intensity level. The Blues could have won. The Redwings made a great push-back at home and just managed to pull out the win.

The Blues are a bit depleted at the moment, and losing Russell hurt a lot, too. Yet they still battled toe to toe and could easily have won that game. I wish D'Agostini could have put some elevation on that shot, should have been 3-0 at that point.

Hopefully Oshie, Langenbrunner and Sobotka are all good to go for the next game in 5 days. Its also nice to see the PP starting to play with confidence.
Agree with this, we should have won this, but our compete level was great and another 2 PP goals is a bonus just a good lesson in the importance of finishing good chances I feel.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:51 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I agree. Blues definitely didn't phone in this game. They did get away from their system a bit in the third, but I think that was more a product of fatigue than anything else.

Speaking of fatigue, both teams were showing it...the game was wide open relative to how these two teams usually play defensively, and I would expect more of the same when we play again on Friday. The Blues lost a man early, and Detroit had last change...those two circumstances combine into a pretty sizeable advantage for Detroit in a situation like this when both teams have tired legs. I think the Blues did very well, all things considered. Sure Detroit dominated that last period, but the Blues were clearly getting the better of the game up to that point. How often does Detroit give up 18 shots in a period? Can't be often. The Blues basically blew their wad in that push, and didn't get enough out of it on the scoreboard to weather the oncoming storm. They easily could have, though.

My personal take on the crushing mistake of monstrous momentum alteration goes to D'Agostini's penalty late in the second. Pure awfulness.

On the positive side of things, it's shouldn't be too long until McDonald, Sobotka, and Oshie are all back in the lineup. I've been waiting very patiently to see what this team can do under Hitchcock with a relatively healthy roster, and it looks like we shouldn't have to wait much longer. If the Blues can win one of the next two, their immediate future beyond that is starting to look pretty bright.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:00 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I think that's true with the minor exception of McDonald still being quite a ways a way from a return. I think what just happened is comparable to when Perron started skating. We may still have a month or more to go, and that's if things go smoothly.

Now, that's just my speculation and trying to read between the lines. But I think the idea that his return is around the corner is a stretch, too.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Yeah a tough one to lose, but hopefully it will wake this team up a bit. Hopefully we get healthy for back to back on friday and saturday against Nashville and Detroit. Id love to get Sobotka back, this lineup is going to get crowded quickly with Langs and Oshie on the mend as well. I hope Russell gets a break after his injury, I would much rather have Cole playing right now, we need his size IMO. Dags may have found his spot as the guy in front of the net on the power play, did a great screen job on Arnotts goal yesterday and got the tip today.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:46 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think that's true with the minor exception of McDonald still being quite a ways a way from a return. I think what just happened is comparable to when Perron started skating. We may still have a month or more to go, and that's if things go smoothly.

Now, that's just my speculation and trying to read between the lines. But I think the idea that his return is around the corner is a stretch, too.
Wasn't a large part of Perron's return timetable conditioning? McDonald's conditioning shouldn't have deteriorated nearly as much in 10 weeks or whatever he's been out now. Assuming there's no setbacks with regards to his symptoms, I wouldn't be surprised at all if McDonald is back by mid-January.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:53 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Dags may have found his spot as the guy in front of the net on the power play, did a great screen job on Arnotts goal yesterday and got the tip today.
I'm pretty "meh" on that myself. He's doing ok, but there's a lot more to being effective in that position than simply trying to get in the goalie's line of sight. The interference penalty that he took on the PP this past game was a back-breaker.

The job certainly doesn't lend itself to his best natural strengths (his speed and release, both of which are complete non-factors for this particular role), and I don't think he's had any previous experience in that role before this current stretch.

I'm willing to give it a few more games to see how it plays out, but I'm thinking this experiment will be over inside of a week or so.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:17 AM
actionhank1786

Just got done watching the game on demand (I worked a 14 hour shift, partly so i could miss the whole game and just watch it all at once).
Have to say, it was a really good game, and i'm disappointed we didn't get the win, but glad to see we played hard. The Blues fell off their game a bit in the 3rd, not a lot, but with that and the fatigue and how hard the Red Wings were bringing it, it was just enough for Detroit to get the win.
But good lord, Howard and Elliott showed why they are killing it as far as shutting down other teams goes.
Both goalies played some amazing hockey tonight.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank1786 View Post
Just got done watching the game on demand (I worked a 14 hour shift, partly so i could miss the whole game and just watch it all at once).
Have to say, it was a really good game, and i'm disappointed we didn't get the win, but glad to see we played hard. The Blues fell off their game a bit in the 3rd, not a lot, but with that and the fatigue and how hard the Red Wings were bringing it, it was just enough for Detroit to get the win.
But good lord, Howard and Elliott showed why they are killing it as far as shutting down other teams goes.
Both goalies played some amazing hockey tonight.
Agreed, great game last night with great goaltending, you could tell that we were gassed at the end and just got outplayed in the third. Dissapointing result but a solid effort playing a dman short and missing some key guys.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Chicago Blues

And really had some great scoring chances in the 2nd that just didn't go in. Game could have easily been a 4-3 victory...just how it goes sometimes.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:38 AM
ejoshie

I have not jumped on the Stewart bashing band wagon until now.

Yes his play has improved but cmon

20 minutes on the top line = 1 shot on goal

Fanned clearing attempts

Fanned on passes

Fanned on scoring opportunities

I dunno, frustrating

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
I have not jumped on the Stewart bashing band wagon until now.

Yes his play has improved but cmon

20 minutes on the top line = 1 shot on goal

Fanned clearing attempts

Fanned on passes

Fanned on scoring opportunities

I dunno, frustrating
I try not to bash as such Blues players but a little criticism is allowed and as I've said previously what frustrates me most about Stewart is his total lack of physical play, I mean he's suppose to be a power forward so where's the power, he's not intimidating and when he gets back to it I think his game will come together.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

What we saw last night was a playoff intensity game. If that's what Stewart has in a playoff type game, my previously argued point about not wanting to depend on him when it matters should be strongly considered. Get used to seeing that type of (non) impact. Hopefully he rebounds and they can trade him for good value for team needs. They're solid on RW even without Stewart, and stronger next year.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
What we saw last night was a playoff intensity game. If that's what Stewart has in a playoff type game, my previously argued point about not wanting to depend on him when it matters should be strongly considered. Get used to seeing that type of (non) impact. Hopefully he rebounds and they can trade him for good value for team needs. They're solid on RW even without Stewart, and stronger next year.
Unfortunately I think I have to agree, I thought Stewart was just the sort of player we needed another big physical forward with an edge and scoring touch but he just hasn't shown that this year.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Spektre

Tough loss but we're still 2-1 vs Detroit.

Just get the games back on FSM. We are all aware of the national bias towards Detroit, Chicago, Toronto etc.. It would be a little more professional if the announcers weren't so infatuated with those teams during broadcasts.

Detroit could wrist a harmless shot from center ice and Emrick would say "AND A SHOT BY DETROIT, WHAT A GLORIOUS CHANCE THAT WAS BY THE ALL MIGHTY DETROIT".

Meanwhile the Blues pound the net and Howard is sprawling everywhere and the same Emrick calls "well a shot by the Blues but GLORY GLORY TO THE DETROIT DEFENSE THAT STOPPED THAT ONE ALL HAIL DETROIT YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!"

Seriously, just put all the games on FSM. At least those guys are supposed to be homers. And actually Panger is pretty good at calling something how it is no matter if it's against the Blues.

One last thing Emrick,, it's pronounced Purron, not Peeerun.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Wasn't a large part of Perron's return timetable conditioning? McDonald's conditioning shouldn't have deteriorated nearly as much in 10 weeks or whatever he's been out now. Assuming there's no setbacks with regards to his symptoms, I wouldn't be surprised at all if McDonald is back by mid-January.
This is correct. I expect McDonald back in 4-5 weeks, at most. Jan. 20-30 might be a good range to expect him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:28 PM
diehardbluesfan

As much as I was pissed about blowing the two goal lead, and the lead going into the 3rd, we hung with the Wings the whole game and had a chance to win without some key guys (Oshie, Sobotka, Langs, and McDonald) plus having 5 guys on the blue line for majority of the game is pretty damn good.

We still have to bury our chances when we get them, like the second period it felt like we had about 10 chances to put the biscuit in the basket, but couldn't.

We get them back Saturday so hopefully we get revenge on them with some guys coming back.

From JR on Twitter:

Quote:
Russell has a hip injury. MRI today, results not announced yet. #stlblues
Quote:
Hitch expects Oshie, Sobotka and Langenbrunner at practice Thursday and thinks 2 of 3 could play Friday. #stlblues
Good news about Osh, Sobby, and Langs just not sure who will be the odd man not dressing. Hope Russell's injury isn't to serious, but Cole is here so we don't lose any skill on the blue line with him sliding in for Russell as I doubt he'll play Friday.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Tough loss but we're still 2-1 vs Detroit.

Just get the games back on FSM. We are all aware of the national bias towards Detroit, Chicago, Toronto etc.. It would be a little more professional if the announcers weren't so infatuated with those teams during broadcasts.

Detroit could wrist a harmless shot from center ice and Emrick would say "AND A SHOT BY DETROIT, WHAT A GLORIOUS CHANCE THAT WAS BY THE ALL MIGHTY DETROIT".

Meanwhile the Blues pound the net and Howard is sprawling everywhere and the same Emrick calls "well a shot by the Blues but GLORY GLORY TO THE DETROIT DEFENSE THAT STOPPED THAT ONE ALL HAIL DETROIT YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!"

Seriously, just put all the games on FSM. At least those guys are supposed to be homers. And actually Panger is pretty good at calling something how it is no matter if it's against the Blues.

One last thing Emrick,, it's pronounced Purron, not Peeerun.
I have to agree with this comment. The Versus announcers are all biased towards the superstar teams. But, I personally don't like the Kelly-Pang combo. I tend to now either have the volume really low, or just mute the TV and hang out with friends when watching the games, because I'm tired of hearing about their golf outings and just random things about their personal lives. Versus announcers don't really talk about the game they're watching, but just other NHL news, like Crosby and concussions, they should focus on the game, and wait for that talk at the intermissions. Personally, I'd like to have Ken Wilson back. At least he had passion for the Blues, and was TRULY excited when we scored, and when we won. Just my 2 cents.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:55 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
I have to agree with this comment. The Versus announcers are all biased towards the superstar teams. But, I personally don't like the Kelly-Pang combo. I tend to now either have the volume really low, or just mute the TV and hang out with friends when watching the games, because I'm tired of hearing about their golf outings and just random things about their personal lives. Versus announcers don't really talk about the game they're watching, but just other NHL news, like Crosby and concussions, they should focus on the game, and wait for that talk at the intermissions. Personally, I'd like to have Ken Wilson back. At least he had passion for the Blues, and was TRULY excited when we scored, and when we won. Just my 2 cents.
I'm not a big fan of Kelly, but I like Panger. He knows his stuff pretty damn good, plus he's just fun to listen to with his sayings. Just not a big fan of JK, wish Ken Wilson was back though.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote