HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumblings (Columbus Trades? Hemsky Suitors? Carolina waits until Deadline?)

Old
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I can see Toronto being interested in Jeff Carter (if/when he's available) and Samuel Pahlsson.

Pahlsson would be huge for Toronto on the PK and playing on that fourth line.

If Carter is involved, I could see the Maple Leafs parting with Nazem Kadri in a package.
Don't worry, we don't want Kadri and we will keep Carter.

But if you want Pahlsson, a 2nd should do the trick.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Key word. Fans, not Holmgren.
Well that just isn't true.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:38 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Well that just isn't true.
Point me to when Holmgren said "I am not trading Jeff Carter." To the public media when all the rumors went on.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

Quote:
Don't worry, we don't want Kadri and we will keep Carter.

But if you want Pahlsson, a 2nd should do the trick.
That's a bold statement given everything that has happened since the trade.

Especially behind the scenes.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Point me to when Holmgren said "I am not trading Jeff Carter." To the public media when all the rumors went on.
I believe I remember him saying he wasn't looking to move him plenty of times. He also told Jeff carter and his agent that they wouldn't be traded, then a couple of days he was shipped out.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Prospal will be a Ranger

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Before anyone gets to excited you need to realize Howson will most likely not be the one making any trades. Most believe he will be fired long before the trade deadline and probably just after the first of the year. If he is still around then little hope is left for the entire CBJ organization.
I really can't see Howson fired by the end of the year. If the higher-ups didn't believe in him, he would've been gone earlier this year. I think there's concern in Columbus that if they do fire Howson, who do they replace him with? Don't forget that last time Columbus fired their GM and had an exhaustive search for a new one, the one they settled on ended up turning them down (Columbus offered the job to Bob Murray who turned it down for family reasons, only to take the Anaheim job about a year or so later). It wouldn't surprise me if there is genuine concern that if they fire Howson that the top supposed candidates with experience might turn them down and further smear Columbus' reputation as being an undesirable place to be which would leave them having to hire another GM without experience as the go-to guy and having to suffer through all the growing pains all over again.

There's also a belief, and there has been since he was hired, that Howson is basically President Mike Priest's GM-by-proxy and that all moves go through Priest first, so unless someone were to fire Priest, why would he replace the guy who does exactly what he asks?

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Prospal will be a Ranger
I'll take that bet!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I'll take that bet!
He will be

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
frito

Quote:
Jeff Carter isn't going anywhere, and neither is Nash.

Just sayin.
There are only two current CBJ on the NHL roster that I would not consider to be available for a trade, and those two may surprise you - A LOT. They are

Derek MacKenzie - The dude is plus 8 on a HUGELY MINUS team. Two of the highest players are last and second last in the league in this category - yes Nash and Wisniewski

Derek Dorsett - This is a guy who brings it each and every night. He does not take a shift off, is doing very on the PK (look at the number of shorties he has).

Everybody has always said "Just wait until Nash gets his number one center". Well we have him and what has it gotten us. NOTHING! They've been broken up. Carter has been coming on as of late but it hasn't elevated Nash's game to where it needs to be. Yes I would love to see them tearing up the ice in CBJ sweaters; however, if either of those two fetches the right price they must be made available. Given the option to only keep one and trade one, I would keep Carter since he has a better contract and it's harder to replace centers than wings.

I would be hard pressed to trade the likes of Ryan Johansen and John Moore soley because we really don't know what they can bring to the table once fully developed. The roster does need to be purged of whatever funk has set in over the last few years before they catch it. Hopefully it's not too late.

I really like Vinny Prospal. Granted he will be UFA at seasons end but he is one of the few who is calling out the need to be better not only in games but also in pratice. He will probably fetch far more at the deadline but I would consider signing him for an additional year or two and slapping the 'C' on him if the proper roster purge takes place.

Everybody else, and I mean everybody, is on the table for a trade. When a team is doing this poorly for this long nobody should consider themselves safe.

Last edited by frito: 12-28-2011 at 05:40 PM.
frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensch View Post
He will be
He was great here...He produced, and was used in alot of different situatiuons. Not too mention he was well liked. Rangers got alot out of Prospal especially considering the cap hit. However, when he left... young legs got a chance. A sophmore is now centering the top line while a 3rd player is playing the LW. They collectively are the Rangers best line on a nightly basis. Now on the 2nd line another homegrown player has stepped in and is following suit. They have been so good that Dubi is not on the top 2 lines but still plays a big role with the club.

I just don't see the Rangers adding him back into the mix as this club has taken it to another level without him.

I think if the Rangers are going to make a move come deadline, they will be going after a bigger fish. A Bobby Ryan maybe?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I really can't see Howson fired by the end of the year. If the higher-ups didn't believe in him, he would've been gone earlier this year. I think there's concern in Columbus that if they do fire Howson, who do they replace him with? Don't forget that last time Columbus fired their GM and had an exhaustive search for a new one, the one they settled on ended up turning them down (Columbus offered the job to Bob Murray who turned it down for family reasons, only to take the Anaheim job about a year or so later). It wouldn't surprise me if there is genuine concern that if they fire Howson that the top supposed candidates with experience might turn them down and further smear Columbus' reputation as being an undesirable place to be which would leave them having to hire another GM without experience as the go-to guy and having to suffer through all the growing pains all over again.

There's also a belief, and there has been since he was hired, that Howson is basically President Mike Priest's GM-by-proxy and that all moves go through Priest first, so unless someone were to fire Priest, why would he replace the guy who does exactly what he asks?
Pretty amusing since I actually live in Columbus, followed the team since day 1, and have never heard or read that from any local sources. Common belief in Columbus is that Priest probably can't even spell hockey. It was also hinted in the local media that the NHL had a hand in the Patrick hiring.

Howson has presided over 3 epic collapse in each of the last 3 seasons. Each one worse than the other. In each case he was far too patient in making changes and by the time he did the season was lost. The local media is now starting to publicly question how he has a job (the same media group that owns 10% of the team). Any trades he makes now will most likely go through Patrick and not Priest. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Howson, Arniel, and possibly Priest are dead men walking.

Also, for the record if the owners cared so much about their perception among the league then changes would have been made long ago. The CBJ have won 7 out of their last 57 regulation games and are already the laughing stock of the NHL. Alot has changed in Columbus since Howson was hired. They now have a long term lease deal and are a cap team vs. a budget team. There are plenty of experienced people who would take the GM position if offered.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:44 PM
CaptPantalones

Not sure what it would cost, but id love to see Hemsky in Buffalo on Vanek's line. I could just see the 2 being deadly together

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Ruutu to San Jose please!
I second this notion!

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
jeromeo87

Yeah, if CAR moves all of their UFAs, which I'm sure they want to, they are going to have to take substantial salary back. Here's one..

To TOR
Ponikarovsky

To CAR
2nd rd pick
Finger

Carolina will probably be moving Allen and Gleason. We will not only need to fill their holes but also their salary.

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
As for Columbus, it's only a matter of time before Brassard and especially Prospal, Pahlsson, and Huselius (if healthy) are shipped out. All could get some very nice returns. Prospal is going to gain a lot of interest from playoff teams, as will Pahlsson. Brassard may be able to get the Jackets a young player in need of a change of scenery in return; I could see a player-for-player swap there. Huselius is a good player when healthy, but that very well could affect the return he'll bring back. The Blue Jackets will be sellers for sure, but I do not think they will trade Jeff Carter.

I think Hemsky will be moved, but the return won't be nearly as much as some are predicting.

Carolina should be sellers as well and have a bunch of players that playoff teams would love to acquire. Ruutu, Gleason, and Allen specifically will all fetch good returns if traded. I'd imagine a bunch of teams would be interested in all three. Ponikarovsky and even Stewart both might be able to fetch an alright prospect or late pick.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Rivet52 - you hit it perfectly....

that said...

PLEASE TRADE NASH...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
Quote:
There is actually a link out there of Holmgren saying this exact thing to ESPN. I can't find it right now but its been posted on this site multiple times.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:38 PM
MessierII

Hemsky will get bare minimum a Kaberle like return. Talent wise he's gotta the best forward available.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Hemsky will get bare minimum a Kaberle like return. Talent wise he's gotta the best forward available.
He's also got a glass skeleton. I can't see the return fetching nearly as much as a perpetually healthy Hemsky would.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Rivet52 - you hit it perfectly....

that said...

PLEASE TRADE NASH...
Thank you very much.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
Other teams shouldn't be super concerned about Hemsky's effort this year. It's really evident that he misses the spotlight that now belongs to Hall, Eberle and Nuge, and on a team like Detroit, he'd blend right in because there are no real young stars there (at least not as young as Nuge).

Would it be possible to get Kronwall for Hemsky? The biggest thing on our "wants" list is probably an offensive defenceman, and not even a really good one, just one that brings it every game.

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Talent and actual production are two different things though.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Pretty amusing since I actually live in Columbus, followed the team since day 1, and have never heard or read that from any local sources. Common belief in Columbus is that Priest probably can't even spell hockey.
Gare Joyce, who was allowed pretty amazing access under then-GM Doug MacLean talked about a lot of that stuff in his book. He said that the feeling was implicit amongst Jackets' scouts that it was Priest's show now, and that Priest was not a hockey man, but a money man.

Quote:
It was also hinted in the local media that the NHL had a hand in the Patrick hiring.
I'm curious about that, as in, why is the NHL helping out individual franchises?

Quote:
Alot has changed in Columbus since Howson was hired. They now have a long term lease deal and are a cap team vs. a budget team. There are plenty of experienced people who would take the GM position if offered.
I'm not so sure about that. If you're a young up-and-coming GM, than maybe you'd be open to it, as Howson was when he came in. But, if you're an experienced GM who'd been previously fired, I think you'd be much more likely to wait for a more stable environment and not risk ruining your reputation by failing in Columbus.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:55 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
There is actually a link out there of Holmgren saying this exact thing to ESPN. I can't find it right now but its been posted on this site multiple times.
Not saying I don't believe youu, but I don't see any proof.