HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jake V

Old
12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Jv is looking more and more like hossa.

I like that a lot.
Hossa has a devastating, world class shot; Voracek... well, not so much.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yes, but hes got the speed/stickwork/puck control /backchecking...

Actually, i think jakes a better passer as well.

tuckrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Jules9

They should try Voracek with Briere. He has too much skill to be on the 3rd line playing with Talbot, who had 52 career goals before this season and Read who is probably coming back down to earth now.

Hard to say who you put on the third line. I guess for right now JVR since he is supposedly injured. A Voracek, Briere, Simmonds line may be close to the line of Briere Hartnell and Leino.

Jules9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:36 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules9 View Post
They should try Voracek with Briere. He has too much skill to be on the 3rd line playing with Talbot, who had 52 career goals before this season and Read who is probably coming back down to earth now.

Hard to say who you put on the third line. I guess for right now JVR since he is supposedly injured. A Voracek, Briere, Simmonds line may be close to the line of Briere Hartnell and Leino.
We should make that line JVR + Briere + Voracek. THAT line would be devastating.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:53 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
We should make that line JVR + Briere + Voracek. THAT line would be devastating.
If JVR plays like normal JVR, then maybe. I wouldn't do it though. I'd rather have Simmonds there.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:17 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules9 View Post

Jake does well when he rushes the puck. That is something JVR did in the playoffs and also drove to the net more. Having them both on the same line might have one take something away from the other, although JVR is not doing it now.

I would not mind seeing JVR on the 3rd line with Talbot/Couturier/Shenn and Read and having Simmonds with Briere and Jake at this point. Let JVR rush the puck and prove his worth. Jake has certainly earned more minutes.

On another note, Jake has fit in fine on the PK.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Jules9

Right now I don't think there is anyone that can really control the puck on Briere's line. For whatever reason when I see Briere control it I kind of cringe cause he gets knocked off the puck easy and I think, who is he going to pass it to for a shot. JVR can pick corners but he just doesn't do it enough.

If Voracek is on the line he may be able to control it, Briere the shooter and Simmonds pick up the garbage in front of the net. Most of Simmonds goals have been him working in front of the net with deflections and rebounds anyway. Sort of like the Giroux line. Giroux controls it Jagr the shooter and Hartnell in front of the net.

Jules9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:35 PM

vCash: 50
I f**king love Voracek. Imagine if he could shoot too?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
hockeyfreak7

I love Voracek. The Hossa comparison is pretty accurate-- just a playmaking version.

But for now, we dont need him to be putting up big numbers. Put him in a two way role with Talbot and Couturier, and I think that third line will be a huge positive for us. As long as we have consistent production from the G-Unit and secondary scoring from everyone else, I am more than comfortable with Voracek settling into a defensive role on the third line.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I love Voracek. The Hossa comparison is pretty accurate-- just a playmaking version.

But for now, we dont need him to be putting up big numbers. Put him in a two way role with Talbot and Couturier, and I think that third line will be a huge positive for us. As long as we have consistent production from the G-Unit and secondary scoring from everyone else, I am more than comfortable with Voracek settling into a defensive role on the third line.
Yeah, Voracek really seems to be hitting his stride on the third line. I think I read something like Voracek has scored 19 points in the past 21 games since being moved to the third line. I mentioned Voracek seems to have become a more Jere Lehtinen type of player and a third line of Voracek / Couturier / Simmonds would be mad to play against and they'd probably score quite a bit on you too.

I'm really loving the Carter deal more and more watching Voracek. This guy is going to be a big player on this team for years to come.

Last edited by BobbyClarkeFan16: 12-30-2011 at 07:01 AM.
BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

seems weird that there were whispers about voracek's conditioning and work ethic, because to me he looks like one of the strongest and most tireless players on the flyers.

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Yes, but hes got the speed/stickwork/puck control /backchecking...

Actually, i think jakes a better passer as well.
I can certainly agree with you on that much. I'm a much bigger Voracek fan than I expected. I too am liking the Carter trade more and more every day (and I was a huge fan of it from the day one).

Just imagine if Jake had that shot to complement everything else.... lethal. I know it's greedy to think that way, but I can't help myself.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:17 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I can certainly agree with you on that much. I'm a much bigger Voracek fan than I expected. I too am liking the Carter trade more and more every day (and I was a huge fan of it from the day one).

Just imagine if Jake had that shot to complement everything else.... lethal. I know it's greedy to think that way, but I can't help myself.
What does everyone think about this?

Do you guys think Jake can improve his shot w/ some work in the offseason? He's a big, strong, physical guy... I see no reason why we couldn't get him to the point where his shot is at least average... if not above-average.

Or do you guys think Jake pretty much is what he is and will never have a good shot / good finishing ability?

Because IMO, an average to above-average shot is the one thing missing from Jake Voracek being an 80+ pt forward in the future and a total star in this league.

And I'm also greedy!!!

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:06 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
What does everyone think about this?

Do you guys think Jake can improve his shot w/ some work in the offseason? He's a big, strong, physical guy... I see no reason why we couldn't get him to the point where his shot is at least average... if not above-average.

Or do you guys think Jake pretty much is what he is and will never have a good shot / good finishing ability?

Because IMO, an average to above-average shot is the one thing missing from Jake Voracek being an 80+ pt forward in the future and a total star in this league.

And I'm also greedy!!!
I don't think Voracek will ever be a "finisher" per se. With that being said, he is one heck of a good two-way forward and that was something that many scouts said about him when he was drafted. Really, he is an elite third line player capable of filling in on the top two lines if needed. I really do see him, Couturier and Simmonds becoming the ultimate two-way line in Philadelphia. That's going to be scary good......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:25 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think Voracek will ever be a "finisher" per se. With that being said, he is one heck of a good two-way forward and that was something that many scouts said about him when he was drafted. Really, he is an elite third line player capable of filling in on the top two lines if needed. I really do see him, Couturier and Simmonds becoming the ultimate two-way line in Philadelphia. That's going to be scary good......
Ultimate 3rd liner? I see he has the potential to be putting up AT LEAST 65-70 points a year in a few seasons. I don't get what everybody is saying about his shot, it's really not that bad?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
seems weird that there were whispers about voracek's conditioning and work ethic, because to me he looks like one of the strongest and most tireless players on the flyers.
Apparently after the trade he went to Montreal? I beleive to go train hard and focus more on the upcoming season. He looks like a well oiled machine on the forecheck, and backcheck.... He still has a fairly high ceiling and if he can develop a better shot watch out.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:56 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
Ultimate 3rd liner? I see he has the potential to be putting up AT LEAST 65-70 points a year in a few seasons. I don't get what everybody is saying about his shot, it's really not that bad?
It's not great to be fair, it's hurt him a few times from great situations. If he could spend some time on it this summer he could be a PPG player next year, he's THAT good.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:02 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I like him, but I think he's such a weirdo with his ability to play both ends, control the puck, make great passes, and then for some alien reason, completely rather pass the puck than shoot it, sometimes make a bad pass rather than taking the easy shot.

Frustrating.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:32 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I like him, but I think he's such a weirdo with his ability to play both ends, control the puck, make great passes, and then for some alien reason, completely rather pass the puck than shoot it, sometimes make a bad pass rather than taking the easy shot.

Frustrating.
When I read that the first thing that came to mind was Tanguay. I used to love his play in COL and was one of the guys always wondering why the hell he didn't just shoot more. His shot percentage totals year in and year our said that if he shot it, he's score, but he just always passed...always.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
rafman522

This guy has been great on the 3rd line but im most impressed with his chemistry with simmonds i want to see them paired up more than just on the occasional pp!

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Mortenson

Quote:
He is much better defensive player than Hossa. He completely destroyed Malkin or Ovechkin. They were not able to show their skills when he was on the ice.

Mortenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
DuklaNation

Voracek has to learn to hold onto the puck for a second more before shooting. Too often he just fires as quick as possible at the net. This is his 4th yr now and he's still doing the same thing. He would improve his production a lot if he would just work on that aspect when he is in close.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortenson View Post
He is much better defensive player than Hossa. He completely destroyed Malkin or Ovechkin. They were not able to show their skills when he was on the ice.
I like Jake a lot, but uh, no.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I'd like to see that line as well. Voracek has worked great with Talbot, but I have this hope that he could make some real magic with JvR and Brière as the finishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I like Jake a lot, but uh, no.
Yeah, Voracek has been great, but let's not get too carried away.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Flyerfan808

Don't get me wrong, I like Jake, it just seems like sometimes he holds on to the puck for WAY too long. He would be a better player if he would make faster decisions with the puck. Pass or shoot; skating around in 50ft. circles along the boards with the puck is not an option.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote