HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I like Bill but who cares about Smith? He did not sign 9 year deal. He is not making twice less.
It was more just for the comparison because of the coach and the "system". Thats why I used Smith

Old
12-28-2011, 12:03 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Can we all just wait AT LEAST until year one of his deal is over to start making comments like this? I get it, he isn't playing well. But that doesn't mean he won't start playing well tomorrow night or a month from now or two months from now or even next season. I know this is the first time a goalie or other player has ever had a bad start to a season, but I think we could maybe wait until we get a little further along in his contract before we start talking about the possibility of nullifying it under the next CBA. I know most players earn their long term contracts in the first 35 games of said contract, but I think I will wait to see how this season plays out before I start making comments like that.
If you don't like the post, simply skip it. He's been terrible in comparison to both Bob and Boucher and has been given an absurdly long contract for big dollars and a NTC. Most of us expect more from him since he is being paid to be the solution to our goaltending woes. Instead we've got a flake who can't even remotely handle deflections and who hasn't stolen a game for us this season.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Kaktus*

No system is going to help you when you cannot stop shots through traffic. I am not asking to stop deflections like in game against NYR but come on, I did not see a lot of effort on Gaboriks and LeCavalier's goals and if you cannot control rebound from point shot that 50 goal scorer Stamkos is going to burn you every time. I am not even going to mention SOs.

D-sive break downs will happen. This is why we went and got best goalie money could buy and he is not playing well.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:21 PM

We have to score 2 or 3 every night just to make up for Bryzgalov. He's been a disaster and looks like a f**king terrible goalie.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
We have to score 2 or 3 every night just to make up for Bryzgalov. He's been a disaster and looks like a f**king terrible goalie.
Well with Bob you we 100% have to score 2 to win

Old
12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Who in their right mind, other than Homer, would take on a 9 year contract on a 31 year old whose numbers are scraping the bottom of the league's barrel? The bigger question is, if the new CBA allows for one contract to be nullified, do we choose Pronger's or Bryz's? Pronger has 6 years left, Bryz has 8.
You'd use it on Bryz and it's not even close. Pronger's deal isn't as long as Bryz's and he can be LTIRed every year.

Plus if Pronger comes back, he's at least above average...

Old
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
You'd use it on Bryz and it's not even close. Pronger's deal isn't as long as Bryz's and he can be LTIRed every year.

Plus if Pronger comes back, he's at least above average...
Bryz will retire before he ever sees the 8th or 9th year, that is the whole point of 9 year , front loaded contracts !

Old
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
This will go unnoticed but it is worth mentioning.

Bryz in wins this year.

14 gms. 1.95 GAA. .932 SV%

12 gms in which he lost or was pulled. 4.42 GAA. .828 SV%

Bryz has been very good in wins and absolutely horrible in losses.

Mike Smith is also coming back to earth after a amazing November.

In November he 8-2-1 with a 1.80 GAA and .940SV%.

Now in December he is 3-6-0 with a 3.53 GAA and .877SV%

Not saying Dave Tippett didn't help Bryz with his defensive system, but Mike Smith will soon be back to average numbers if he continues playing the way he is. Bryz is very capable of playing at Elite levels(we did see this in Phoenix). I think we give the coach way too much credit for Bryz's numbers in Phoenix and not enough for the player who actually saves the puck. Bryz has plenty of time to turn his game around, and im sure the Flyers are confident he will. I rather him play like a superstar close to the playoffs(into the playoffs), and take us far there, then him having a vezina type season honestly.

EDIT: Thanks Bill Meltzer for the Bryz stats.
Exactly what does this prove?

WOW our goalie is better in wins than he is in losses... How fascinating. I never would've guessed that.

The fact that Bryz is good in wins doesn't prove a thing... We could go 1-4 in the 1st round of the playoffs and Bryz could have a .500 save % in losses and a 1.00 save % in wins. Does his save % in wins give you comfort or something?!? We'd still be out of the playoffs and it'd still be Bryz's fault.

I love when people go looking for stats trying to prove Bryz isn't bad.

Old

I really hope this is an adjusting thing because i'm terrified that he just doesn't have the interest or concentration anymore. He's giving up 1 or 2 bad goals a game, and the worst thing is that that's not an exaggeration.

Old
Doyle

Bryzgalov then went on an 11-1-1 stretch and appeared to be coming out of the woods, but has proceeded to go 0-3-1 in his last four.

Last nightís performance against the Lightning may have been his worst outside of the ridiculous 9-8 horror show against the Winnipeg Jets in late-October. While the team exhibited several breakdowns in defensive zone coverages, Bryzgalov seemed out of position on many of the goals. He appeared to misplay angles, and Tampa shooters were able to hit their marks. This was particularly evident on Vincent Lecavalierís snipe in the last minute of regulation in the third period, when the Boltsí captain flipped a quick shot from the right circle that Bryzgalov appeared to be cheating too far the the near post. Lecavalierís shot sailed over Bryzgalovís stick side and hit the far corner.

Read More: http://nhlhotstove.com/taking-a-flye...nge-and-black/

Old
12-28-2011, 01:48 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Bryzgalov then went on an 11-1-1 stretch and appeared to be coming out of the woods, but has proceeded to go 0-3-1 in his last four.

Last nightís performance against the Lightning may have been his worst outside of the ridiculous 9-8 horror show against the Winnipeg Jets in late-October. While the team exhibited several breakdowns in defensive zone coverages, Bryzgalov seemed out of position on many of the goals. He appeared to misplay angles, and Tampa shooters were able to hit their marks. This was particularly evident on Vincent Lecavalierís snipe in the last minute of regulation in the third period, when the Boltsí captain flipped a quick shot from the right circle that Bryzgalov appeared to be cheating too far the the near post. Lecavalierís shot sailed over Bryzgalovís stick side and hit the far corner.

Read More: http://nhlhotstove.com/taking-a-flye...nge-and-black/
I didn't read the article but to say a goalie went 11-1-1 is incorrect, it's the team that went 11-1-1 or whatever the record may be.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Flyerfan4life

exact same thing occured with Leighton aswell

when he did well it was cuz the defense and when things went poorly it was all on him

only difference i see is a MASSIVE increase in paycheque for the new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
Bryzgalov has quickly become our most polarizing player, people seem to love him or hate him.

One thing I've noticed about his supporters, is they make excuses for the same thing that Bobrovsky used to - and still does - get ripped apart for by some of the same people. Examples being his rebound control, going down quickly, poor one-on-ones, mental toughness and not being able to make the game-changing save. Seems like Bobrovsky is expected to make incredible saves through traffic without allowing rebounds and stopping every breakaway without being flustered - but if it happens on Bryzgalov's end, the defensemen get blamed. Why are people more quick to defend Bryzgalov, but throw blame on young Bobrovsky?

Of course, there are people who will criticize Bryzgalov and endlessly defend Bobrovsky too - but just pointing out what I have casually noticed as the more common trend.

Old
12-28-2011, 03:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If you don't like the post, simply skip it. He's been terrible in comparison to both Bob and Boucher and has been given an absurdly long contract for big dollars and a NTC. Most of us expect more from him since he is being paid to be the solution to our goaltending woes. Instead we've got a flake who can't even remotely handle deflections and who hasn't stolen a game for us this season.
I agree he hasn't been playing well, but the problem is you are talking about hypothetically nullifying his contract next season after less than half a season. That seems a little absurd to me. He may not turn it around this season or even next, but I think you have to at least let him play out one full season before talking about stuff like nullifying a contract under a new CBA.

Just out of curiosity, is this nullification thing actually a possibility in the new CBA? Not saying it isn't or anything, I just haven't heard anything about it.

Old
12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
FlyersMania2

Okay all of my Bryz bias aside (I have thought he was one of the best since I saw him play with the Ducks) - I will admit, he has had some really bad games. But, as Flyers fans - we need to recognize the bigger picture:

Since Stevens took over coaching our goalies:

Esche
Nitty
Emery
Biron
Boucher
Leighton
Bob
Bryz

The compilation of names have almost nothing in common (salary, country of origin, draft pick, etc) besides playing for us.

Is it more likely that all of these guys have streaky, inconsistent (sometimes awful) careers when playing for the Flyers or is it more likely there is ONE common factor?

I am asking because at this point, no matter who we put in net or how much we pay them, we have goaltending issues. Jump on the Bob boat but I gaurantee it's only bc of how Bryz looks right now - once Bob has a few clunkers, everyone will throw him under the bus.

Maybe it's our defensive system? IDK - I can't possibly believe that goalies who have had success elsewhere or even at the least, don't look like swiss cheese on other teams, are ALL BAD. It's practically impossible that goaltending issues can be all the individual faults of the goaltenders themselves - more likely that something else is wrong.

Last edited by FlyersMania2: 12-28-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: By Stevens, I dont mean he is our coach, I mean since that time period.
Old
12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree he hasn't been playing well, but the problem is you are talking about hypothetically nullifying his contract next season after less than half a season. That seems a little absurd to me. He may not turn it around this season or even next, but I think you have to at least let him play out one full season before talking about stuff like nullifying a contract under a new CBA.

Just out of curiosity, is this nullification thing actually a possibility in the new CBA? Not saying it isn't or anything, I just haven't heard anything about it.
My gut tells me that it isn't a possibility. It's a nice dream for a lot of Flyers fans, what with the two potentially horrific contracts.

12-28-2011, 05:28 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Unload him before the deadline.

Old
12-28-2011, 05:45 PM
dawkins121

Jesse Spector tweeted this earlier:

Quote:
Since the start of the 2008-09 season, the goalies who have given up 4+ goals the most are Steve Mason and Ilya Bryzgalov. 60 times each.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:56 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Ouch...and double ouch to be mentioned in the same breath as Mason..

Old
12-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Illya Bryzgalov - Good Signing!

(sorry. had to do it.)

Old
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Esche
Nitty
Emery
Biron
Boucher
Leighton
Bob
Bryz

The compilation of names have almost nothing in common (salary, country of origin, draft pick, etc) besides playing for us.

Is it more likely that all of these guys have streaky, inconsistent (sometimes awful) careers when playing for the Flyers or is it more likely there is ONE common factor?
The common factors are two:

a) they're not God, so they allow goals

b) they play in Philadelphia, where fans simply have to have someone to blame for Every. Single. Goal.

Some of these "fans" would rip Bernie Parent for surrendering a goal to Guy Lafleur on a wrister from the slot.

Old
12-28-2011, 07:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

b) they play in Philadelphia, where fans simply have to have someone to blame for Every. Single. Goal.

Some of these "fans" would rip Bernie Parent for surrendering a goal to Guy Lafleur on a wrister from the slot.
Uh oh. This should be fun to watch, instead of being involved this time.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

Did you know that some goals ARE the goalie's fault?

When you're letting in as many goals as Bryz does, many of them are fully on him...especially all the goals he lets in by being complacent with positioning and failing at fundamentals.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:

No. The only real factor is W-L-OTL 14-8-3 SV% .890 GAA 3.01 SO 1. Those absolutely should not be the numbers of a $51 million goalie. Bob and Brian frickin Boucher put up better numbers last year. Bryz has been awful

Old
12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post

i guess that little post it note never made it to Mr. Sniders office.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:

.890 3.01

but yeah none of that is on him.

Closed Thread