HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Acquiring a Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
boodangleroo28

vCash: 500
Acquiring a Defensemen

So we all know that eventually between now and the deadline we will make a deal for a defensemen. I figured i would start a thread to discuss realistic target options. I think suter and weber will cost us too much and destroy all the chemistry we have been building throughout the year. I think Gleason and Beauchemin are the most obvious and best choices for us to target. What does everyone think it will cost for us to acquire them. A 2nd? + mid-level prospect?

Old
12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
A 2nd? + mid-level prospect?
If thats all it takes yes. Any team can offer that much

Old
12-28-2011, 02:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Well, considering both are UFAs after the season, Anaheim and Carolina should consider themselves lucky if they get a 2nd. In any case, this is Holmgren we're talking about and the guy usually outbids himself. It won't surprise me if we see the Flyers end up moving a 1st round pick for a defenseman.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
CTU2fan

Hal Gill wouldn't be a bad option either. Granted he's slower than Mike Knuble and Jason Allison but so was Kjell Samuelsson. Not that Gleason or Beauchemin wouldn't be better options (they would) but I bet Gill will come cheaper.

I hope Homer isn't in any rush. The team is a playoff team right now, and barring any more catastrophic injuries there's no hurry...hold out for the best deal on the best d-man he can get. I'd actually rather he explore Weber since this team is going to need an infusion of quality youth on D with the aging of Pronger and Kimmo.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Amateur Hour

Beauchemin would be nice. Plays serious minutes (26+ right now), can skate and move the puck, blocks a ton of shots, and won the Cup with Pronger in Anaheim.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Well, considering both are UFAs after the season, Anaheim and Carolina should consider themselves lucky if they get a 2nd. In any case, this is Holmgren we're talking about and the guy usually outbids himself. It won't surprise me if we see the Flyers end up moving a 1st round pick for a defenseman.
I see people say this all the time. Is this in regards to Chris Pronger and what we sent to Anaheim for him? How in the world do we know that nobody else was trying to work out a deal with Anaheim for Pronger?

Old
12-28-2011, 03:05 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Beauchemin would be nice. Plays serious minutes (26+ right now), can skate and move the puck, blocks a ton of shots, and won the Cup with Pronger in Anaheim.
This. Couldn't say it better myself.

Old
12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
DenverBoone

More depth on the blue line is always a good thing.....but so is a capable starting goaltender.

Old
12-28-2011, 03:50 PM
3Fs

Quote:
So we all know that eventually between now and the deadline we will make a deal for a defensemen. I figured i would start a thread to discuss realistic target options. I think suter and weber will cost us too much and destroy all the chemistry we have been building throughout the year. I think Gleason and Beauchemin are the most obvious and best choices for us to target. What does everyone think it will cost for us to acquire them. A 2nd? + mid-level prospect?
Probably get for a bag of pucks now.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...redators-weber

Old
12-28-2011, 04:01 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I would love Beauchemin here. I've heard rumors of them moving freakin' Getzlaf, can't imagine we couldn't pry Beauchemin out.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I see people say this all the time. Is this in regards to Chris Pronger and what we sent to Anaheim for him? How in the world do we know that nobody else was trying to work out a deal with Anaheim for Pronger?
This isn't about Chris Pronger. I suggest taking a look at the Kris Versteeg deal and how everything went down. You'll see that with Holmgren, there is a pattern of impatience on his end and he'll overpay just so that he can get his guy. His tunnel vision has cost the team when he's needed to upgrade, but couldn't because he didn't have the appropriate pieces needed to make a deal. Holmgren needs to learn to play his cards close to his chest and he needs to be patient.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Flyerfan808

I agree with the OP: I think that the Flyers need another top 4 defensemen and FAST. Pronger missing has been a huge detriment to this team and it's hurting their confidence. To me, this is PAINFULLY obvious. The hardest thing is deciding what to do about it, only a handful of defenders in the league COULD replace Pronger and none of them are for sale... so really the question becomes what is the best band-aid solution to Chris Pronger?

1) Do you just say, "**** it!" and give up what it takes to get Ryan Suter? which is the probably the closest thing on the market to a CP.
2) or do you play it safe and go after someone a little more reasonable like Tim Gleason or Francois Beachemin?

Temper that answer with which one gives you the best opportunity to win the cup? This year, and years down the road?

For once, I don't envy Holmgren. Honestly, tough call.

Old
12-28-2011, 04:17 PM
boodangleroo28

Kimmo-Coburn
Gleason/Beuch-mezaros
Carle-bourdon

looks pretty good to me, and seems to be the best option without destroying the forwards

Old
12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Kimmo-Coburn
Gleason/Beuch-mezaros
Carle-bourdon

looks pretty good to me, and seems to be the best option without destroying the forwards
true. ****** it, get them both. If it'll just take some picks and mid-level prospects.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Had a look through Capgeek today.

There are many good options to acquire a vet dman with an expiring contract on a non-playoff team. We have to leave the possibility open that Pronger will return, if he doesn't we can use the cap space to re-up Carle.

Carolina has three:
Gleason - $2.75M solid, tough, not big
Bryan Allen - $2.9M bigger, meaner
Jaroslav Spacek - $3.8M, solid, always liked him

Others:
Beauchemin - AMD - $3.8M
Radek Martinek CBJ - $2.25M played with Jagr at WJC, iirc. RHS
Jurcina - NYI- $1.6M - huge RHS

Mark Eaton - NYI - $2.5M

Andy Sutton Edm $2.125M huge D man who could help

Shane O'Brien - CA - $1.1M - a great fit if Colorado slides
Hannan - CF - $1M
Sarich - CF - $3.6M - always liked him. RHS

and if Montreal is out:
Hal Gill $2.25M would be my best bet.

If Tampa is out:
Either Kubina at $3.85 or Brewer at $3.85 would be perfect too.

Old
12-28-2011, 07:47 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I agree with the OP: I think that the Flyers need another top 4 defensemen and FAST.
I agree. They would pay MORE at the deadline and Timonen won't survive unless they get another load carrier pronto.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Kaktus*

Gleason would be nice! He is young, not even 30. I like his skating (very important in Atlantic) and his positioning, hits hard, blocks shots, fights too. Leads by example. I wonder if we can get him for two 2nd round picks and a prospect? Or is he going to cost 1st?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old
12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Holmgren gave up a 1st for Versteeg. I dont think he would have a problem giving up a 1st for a middle pairing defenseman whos headed for UFA land

Old
12-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Holmgren gave up a 1st for Versteeg. I dont think he would have a problem giving up a 1st for a middle pairing defenseman whos headed for UFA land
While he was a bust here, Homer got 2nd and 3rd for him from Florida. He was under contract and RFA. Not a completley useless trade. Did not work becuase of injury.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM
bryzgalovsky*

They're not getting anyone unless they lose another defensemen.

It's clear that the organization thinks Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Meszaros, Bourdon, Lilja, and Walker are enough.

And Gustafsson might be back in a few weeks.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
They're not getting anyone unless they lose another defensemen.

It's clear that the organization thinks Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Meszaros, Bourdon, Lilja, and Walker are enough.

And Gustafsson might be back in a few weeks.
How??

Old
12-28-2011, 09:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
While he was a bust here, Homer got 2nd and 3rd for him from Florida. He was under contract and RFA. Not a completley useless trade. Did not work becuase of injury.
well i think the feeling was that Holmgren overpaid for him. He was bidding against himself.
Im not counting on that 2nd being a 2012 2nd

Old
12-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well i think the feeling was that Holmgren overpaid for him. He was bidding against himself.
Im not counting on that 2nd being a 2012 2nd
It's not even overpaying for Versteeg. We did not need him. Needed a goalie. Like always

Old
12-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Gleason would be nice! He is young, not even 30. I like his skating (very important in Atlantic) and his positioning, hits hard, blocks shots, fights too. Leads by example. I wonder if we can get him for two 2nd round picks and a prospect? Or is he going to cost 1st?
I really like his game a lot. I also like Allen. They are both cap hit friendly and I do not think it would cost a lot to land one of them.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:07 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
How??
Well Holmgren came out and said nobody was interested in trading anyone, and then brought Walker up from the Phantoms. There hasn't even been a hint of scouting or potential trade discussions since then.

Besides, if they do trade for anyone they're going to have to give up players that the Flyer's front office isn't willing to part with (Schenn, Read, Couturier, Voracek, JVR, etc.)

Closed Thread