HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,814
vCash: 500
2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II

Continue on....



Part I here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=915147

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 02:06 PM
  #2
SDIsles34
Registered User
 
SDIsles34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Prospect Preference

I will kick things off... Considering it is that time of year when Islander fans focus more on prospects and the draft rather than the actual team.

If you had to choose to keep one prospect over another, who do you keep and who do you let go? obviously hypothetical...

Nelson or Lee?

Kabanov or Petrov?

Nilsson or Poulin?

De Haan or Donovan?

SDIsles34 is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
  #3
BaileyToOkposo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
All hard.. nelson or lee, I would prob say nelson bc little from what I've seen nelson seems to have more hockey skill than lee but lee is always in the right place.
Kabonov or petrov, def kabanov bc u kno he can def come over, otherwise if petrov was easy to get over here id choose him.
Nilsson or poulin? Honestly to hard for me to say so both
De haan or donovan, as of now I say donovan but I think de haan has more potential

BaileyToOkposo is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
  #4
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,367
vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
I will kick things off... Considering it is that time of year when Islander fans focus more on prospects and the draft rather than the actual team.

If you had to choose to keep one prospect over another, who do you keep and who do you let go? obviously hypothetical...

Nelson or Lee?

Kabanov or Petrov?

Nilsson or Poulin?

De Haan or Donovan?
Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?

WangMustGo is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 03:12 PM
  #5
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?
Strome has more OFFENSIVE upside, whereas Nino has more overall upside. Tough call, I'd go with Nino, his overall talent is worth more.

scott99 is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
  #6
SDIsles34
Registered User
 
SDIsles34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?
I have to agree on Nelson. His development has been pleasantly suprising as it looks like he is learning to use his size more effectively. At last years WJC, he looked raw and sometimes uncomfortable out there but from highlights and stats it looks like he may be learning to adjust.

I am not sold on either Kabanov or Petrov but at this point I'd keep Petrov. Kabanov has given us no reason to believe he can put it all together for a full season. I could see him give us flashes of brilliance followed by long periods of frustration. Hope he proves me wrong. Just a feeling I have.

I am a big Poulin fan but I think Nilsson has a higher ceiling and he is less injury prone. Those knee surgeries scare me when looking at Poulin as a long-term answer. Despite Nilsson's atrocious NHL debut, I still think he is the future of the Isles in goal.

For De Haan and Donovan, I go with De Haan based on his ability to carry and control the puck under pressure, he showed some real promise in his first game in NHL and hopefully he can build off that momentum. However, I still haven't watched enough out of Donovan.

I'd have to pick Nino based on his ability to help us as a 3rd line checking forward if his offensive upside doesn't reach his expected potential while Strome doesn't seem to fit anywhere if he isn't in our Top 6 contributing consistent offensive numbers.

Only time will tell.

SDIsles34 is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 05:02 PM
  #7
On Edge
Registered User
 
On Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
I will kick things off... Considering it is that time of year when Islander fans focus more on prospects and the draft rather than the actual team.

If you had to choose to keep one prospect over another, who do you keep and who do you let go? obviously hypothetical...

Nelson or Lee?

Kabanov or Petrov?

Nilsson or Poulin?

De Haan or Donovan?
Nelson and Lee .... hoping for big things from both but if I had to pick one...I'd pick Nelson.

Kababov > Petrov.

Nilsson > Poulin. Don't like the injuries Poulin has had.

De Haan > Donovan. Like them both.

On Edge is online now  
Old
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
  #8
On Edge
Registered User
 
On Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=WangMustGo;41559337]Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?[/QUOTE]

Strome and I don't think it's close. I have major doubts about Nino.

On Edge is online now  
Old
12-28-2011, 10:20 PM
  #9
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Strome with another strong game tonight. An offensive threat many of his shifts, 1 g, 1 a. Put him with talent and he will produce, wondering what kind of chemistry he can generate with JT, who equally likes to work down low.

Musil was strong for the Czechs, stay-at-homer, relied upon for many minutes.

Gormley is my favorite D man for Canada.

BelovedIsles is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
  #10
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,689
vCash: 500
Strome had a really good night, impressed me a whole lot more than last game. He could have had a hat trick, the goalie robbed him twice with sick saves. Ryan better check his wallet to make sure nothing is missing.

I'm still not enamored with his skating, but boy is he offensively dynamic. Seemed to get stronger as the game went on and he's definitely displaying a lot of confidence. Had some sick set ups too that couldn't be finished. He was definitely up there as the most dangerous Canadian forward. BTW, that kid Tanner Pearson really impressed me with limited ice time.

The more I'm watching Strome, he looks like a right handed JT during his rookie year. I think he'd compliment JT really well when he's ready. They both have excellent vision and high hockey sense - that's a recipe for success. Add in the fact that they both have some sick mitts and are very creative. The only thing is that I've never been a big fan of moving a natural center to wing, but that's what will have to happen if we want to see that JT and Strome on the same line. I'm sure they'd be really good on the PP if they are not linemates.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
  #11
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

The more I'm watching Strome, he looks like a right handed JT during his rookie year. I think he'd compliment JT really well when he's ready. They both have excellent vision and high hockey sense - that's a recipe for success. Add in the fact that they both have some sick mitts and are very creative. The only thing is that I've never been a big fan of moving a natural center to wing, but that's what will have to happen if we want to see that JT and Strome on the same line. I'm sure they'd be really good on the PP if they are not linemates.
He better compliment NYI's franchise centerman. Oh... and I agree their styles of play would complement each other, once Strome is quicker and stronger.

BelovedIsles is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 11:12 PM
  #12
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
He better compliment NYI's franchise centerman. Oh... and I agree their styles of play would complement each other, once Strome is quicker and stronger.
Haha, thanks for the correction - jerk.

JT is our franchise center. I can't recall seeing a 'move JT to wing' comment since the season started... he's put that baby to rest. Strome will need to move to RW. I will say that if JT and Strome are on the same line, a player like Martin needs to be on the LW - someone big and physical who will do the dirty work.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
  #13
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, thanks for the correction - jerk.

JT is our franchise center. I can't recall seeing a 'move JT to wing' comment since the season started... he's put that baby to rest. Strome will need to move to RW. I will say that if JT and Strome are on the same line, a player like Martin needs to be on the LW - someone big and physical who will do the dirty work.
Im reality isn't Nino supposed to be that player? A power forward who can do the dirty work? I like Martin but when it comes to the skill level of Tavares and what we all are hoping Strome can become then why not put just as high end a talent in Nino on the wing?

Heck to be honest Petrov would be IDEAL on that line.

IslandersFan17 is online now  
Old
12-28-2011, 11:28 PM
  #14
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Im reality isn't Nino supposed to be that player? A power forward who can do the dirty work? I like Martin but when it comes to the skill level of Tavares and what we all are hoping Strome can become then why not put just as high end a talent in Nino on the wing?

Heck to be honest Petrov would be IDEAL on that line.
It could be Nino, Petrov, Lee, or anyone else. I don't expect to see this line until 2013-14 at the earliest. I hope that the Isles do the smart thing and send him back to Niagara next year, but we all know that his inflated $1.8M cap is just too much for the Isles to resist. You can pretty much write his name in ink for next year's roster.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 11:40 PM
  #15
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Strome had a really good night, impressed me a whole lot more than last game. He could have had a hat trick, the goalie robbed him twice with sick saves. Ryan better check his wallet to make sure nothing is missing.

I'm still not enamored with his skating, but boy is he offensively dynamic. Seemed to get stronger as the game went on and he's definitely displaying a lot of confidence. Had some sick set ups too that couldn't be finished. He was definitely up there as the most dangerous Canadian forward. BTW, that kid Tanner Pearson really impressed me with limited ice time.

The more I'm watching Strome, he looks like a right handed JT during his rookie year. I think he'd compliment JT really well when he's ready. They both have excellent vision and high hockey sense - that's a recipe for success. Add in the fact that they both have some sick mitts and are very creative. The only thing is that I've never been a big fan of moving a natural center to wing, but that's what will have to happen if we want to see that JT and Strome on the same line. I'm sure they'd be really good on the PP if they are not linemates.
I watched the game and this is what I noticed most about Strome. He was always in great position when he got the puck to make plays or shoot. The one thing i noticed is he doesnt have the puck pursuit like JT. JT wants the puck all the time. Strome seems to float a little more. But he is sneaky and seemed like the Czech defense had trouble tracking him. His shot once fully developed will be very dangerous. One thing Strome clearly has that JT does not. I can see how they will compliment each other some day based on those two things. On defense, he seems a little soft.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 11:51 PM
  #16
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I watched the game and this is what I noticed most about Strome. He was always in great position when he got the puck to make plays or shoot. The one thing i noticed is he doesnt have the puck pursuit like JT. JT wants the puck all the time. Strome seems to float a little more. But he is sneaky and seemed like the Czech defense had trouble tracking him. His shot once fully developed will be very dangerous. One thing Strome clearly has that JT does not. I can see how they will compliment each other some day based on those two things. On defense, he seems a little soft.
It's 'complement' dude!

I already got called out, might as well call you out too!

For the reasons you posted, Strome reminds me a lot of JT. JT wasn't ready physically his rookie year, but his elite hockey sense saved his bacon. We've seen the progression as he's gotten stronger - it's not funny how much he's improved since day one. If Ryan can have a similar physical progression... he's going to be dynamite.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
12-28-2011, 11:58 PM
  #17
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's 'complement' dude!

I already got called out, might as well call you out too!

For the reasons you posted, Strome reminds me a lot of JT. JT wasn't ready physically his rookie year, but his elite hockey sense saved his bacon. We've seen the progression as he's gotten stronger - it's not funny how much he's improved since day one. If Ryan can have a similar physical progression... he's going to be dynamite.
Really?! I even read those posts. It's late. That is my excuse.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 02:20 AM
  #18
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
There is one prospect that seems like the kid fell off the face of the planet in Johan Sundstrom. Johan was one of our second round picks last year and aside from Nelson is the biggest forward we have in the system.

I know the guy only had one goal (the lone point) in 41 games last year and five total points in 30 games for the Elitserien league. However, the kid has been all over it seems like and plays well internationally.

I would like if someone could give me a better break down than this one. -

"Spelarprofil på svenska
A center, that can also play wing. Sundström has very good size, strength and speed. Has nice hands and hockey sense. Doesn't mind going into high-traffic areas. Is very well-rounded. Has tremendous reach. Pretty good release. Some consistency issues. (EP 2011)"- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16727
Almost missed this one!

Don't worry about stats. The kid has some real goods. Almost everything about his game is very solid for his age and he's been playing with men for two years now. A mature player, there's much about his actual playing style that is a bit reminiscent of Mats Sundin. Now, I can't possibly say he'll ever produce in a manner that could ever resemble that, but he is on path to becoming an NHL player with that kind of stature.

These WJCs should be interesting. He's the assistant captain and is on the top line. Still, he only has one point amongst 12 goals scored in regulation.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 07:32 AM
  #19
SthlmNYI
Registered User
 
SthlmNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Almost missed this one!

Don't worry about stats. The kid has some real goods. Almost everything about his game is very solid for his age and he's been playing with men for two years now. A mature player, there's much about his actual playing style that is a bit reminiscent of Mats Sundin. Now, I can't possibly say he'll ever produce in a manner that could ever resemble that, but he is on path to becoming an NHL player with that kind of stature.

These WJCs should be interesting. He's the assistant captain and is on the top line. Still, he only has one point amongst 12 goals scored in regulation.
Right on.

In no way a flashy player, but rather a player who is playing solid every night, finishing plays, and giving it all in every shift.
Sundin is a good comparison to his style of play, Zetterberg is another.

Could very well turn into a Nielsen with size down the road, possibly more offensive upside.

Height: 190 cm / 6'3"
Weight: 91 kg / 201 lbs


Last edited by SthlmNYI: 12-29-2011 at 07:37 AM.
SthlmNYI is offline  
Old
12-30-2011, 11:02 AM
  #20
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Just published a translated interview with Andrei Pedan: http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=703
Thanks for reading

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline  
Old
12-30-2011, 01:47 PM
  #21
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,865
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Just published a translated interview with Andrei Pedan: http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=703
Thanks for reading
High character guy!

Also, nice interview! Thanks

seafoam is online now  
Old
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
  #22
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/scores/boxscore/?id=1771628

Cousin Johan with a goal and two helpers today...

bluechipbonzo is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
  #23
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,355
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
I have to agree on Nelson. His develop

I am not sold on either Kabanov or Petrov but at this point I'd keep Petrov. Kabanov has given us no reason to believe he can put it all together for a full season. I could see him give us flashes of brilliance followed by long periods of frustration. Hope he proves me wrong. Just a feeling I have.

Only time will tell.
Kabanov IS putting together a very good junior season on the ice.

There's been no off ice drama or issues.

He'll be old enough to play in the AHL next season,if he doesn't make the NYI roster instead.

I expect Snow will be talking with Petrov and his reps when his contract expires this summer.I'll start to get excited about him as a prospect,when he actually commits to either the NHL or AHL.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:53 AM
  #24
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 15,310
vCash: 500
Nelson,Kabonov,Poulin,and de Hann

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:54 AM
  #25
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 500
For anyone with Time Warner Cable, it looks like we temporarily have NHL Network instead of MSG+ for now. It will have Canada and Sweden's games tomorrow.

Would rather watch the Isles, but it is better than nothing.

kasper11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.