HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donald Fehr believes in return of MLB in Montreal.

Old
12-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
IMO the Montreal Impacts are the next big thing for summer sports. They are 1 superstar player away from serious media exposure.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Coldplay
Courage

The Big Owe needs to be smashed to smithereens.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Only need a few guys with money to spend. You,d hope that a guy like PKP would invest in this. With a few others. I sure hope we'd get it back.

Frankly, I will NEVER forget the last Expos game with Brad Wilkerson crying. I mean, geez, this guy was there for 3 years. Not 10. And that American sure looked as sad as a lot of Quebecers. Which in the end made me believe that, while I already knew it, that we were making an incredibly bad mistake. And say what you want about Brochu, if that stadium is build, this team stays here. It's a ****in shame and that city should be ashamed of letting that sport go. That's amongst the reasons why it's so crazy about hockey in this town. With more sports, it would be less crazy.

Baseball was just great. A sport that you could do different stuff while it was playing. Really relaxing and that was playing every single night.

Yet, we're aiming right now at a team in the freakin Can-Am league with a stadium of 5000. I'm sorry but that's a waste of time. Might work, might not. But we shouldn't aim for this. And imagine if it doesn't work. Do you seriousl believe the MLB will take a look at us if we can't get 5000 people to watch this?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:48 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
IMO the Montreal Impacts are the next big thing for summer sports. They are 1 superstar player away from serious media exposure.
No, as long as those hockey-loving dinosaurs are deciding what has and what has not media exposure are there, it won't change much.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Garry Valk

Nos Amours!!!

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:00 PM
ThaDevilGirl

To draw people's attention you need a winning team. The Expos weren't. However I still miss them.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
No, as long as those hockey-loving dinosaurs are deciding what has and what has not media exposure are there, it won't change much.
You'll see. There's a lot of immigrants in Quebec, Joey Saputo has a lot of money, there's nothing worthwhile in July here and the Habs obsession is coming to an end for a lot of people. I have faith soccer will be huge one day.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Only need a few guys with money to spend. You,d hope that a guy like PKP would invest in this. With a few others. I sure hope we'd get it back.

Frankly, I will NEVER forget the last Expos game with Brad Wilkerson crying. I mean, geez, this guy was there for 3 years. Not 10. And that American sure looked as sad as a lot of Quebecers. Which in the end made me believe that, while I already knew it, that we were making an incredibly bad mistake. And say what you want about Brochu, if that stadium is build, this team stays here. It's a ****in shame and that city should be ashamed of letting that sport go. That's amongst the reasons why it's so crazy about hockey in this town. With more sports, it would be less crazy.

Baseball was just great. A sport that you could do different stuff while it was playing. Really relaxing and that was playing every single night.

Yet, we're aiming right now at a team in the freakin Can-Am league with a stadium of 5000. I'm sorry but that's a waste of time. Might work, might not. But we shouldn't aim for this. And imagine if it doesn't work. Do you seriousl believe the MLB will take a look at us if we can't get 5000 people to watch this?
I remember Quebec finance minister Bernard Landry said this at the time. :''baseball is a great sport but we will not pay for a stadium for a couple of Americans.''

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Habitant#1

I think Montreal get's NFL before getting MLB back.
How hard can it be to support and NFL team anyway? Isn't the overwhelming majority of theit revenue froM TV rights rather than ticket sales like the NBA/NHL?

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You'll see. There's a lot of immigrants in Quebec, Joey Saputo has a lot of money, there's nothing worthwhile in July here and the Habs obsession is coming to an end for a lot of people. I have faith soccer will be huge one day.
I'm not denying it's gonna be big but media has been really slow to follow the growth of the sport.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
To draw people's attention you need a winning team. The Expos weren't. However I still miss them.
'94 strike

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:55 PM
deandebean

Landry wanted the stadium. When you read the Brochu book, you learn that it was Lucien Bouchard who didn't want anything to do with the two bozos from NYC. Eventually, the same two bozos embezzled Miami-Dade city council into giving them the golden keys to a new stadium...in a market that is comatose. But the swines love it. They make millions and get a free stadium to boot. Bouchard was right in not giving them the keys to the stadium. And Brochu made millions because of them. He had no cash and made millions by selling it.

The other douches were the Québec inc. partners. Bunch of rats and small time business people.

In the end, the club was destined to fail: Brochu killed the Big O publicly (not the way to go in marketing, to say the least), the Québec inc. owners failed and the two rapists from NYC took everything away.

And no, MLB will never come back to Montreal, unless a billionaire decides to dish out the cash. It won't happen. Although MLB teams make money these days, it would cost about 1 BILLION to build a stadium AND buy a struggling team (like the Devil Rays, who are destined to leave Tampa).

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:34 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post
Anyone ever go to the baseball school in cote st luc called grand slam baseball school must have been 15 years ago i went with my brothers. They would teach you everything grade you give you report cards and techniques to prove your game. Every friday a mlb player would come talk to us we had pedro, larry walker, bill lee, Alot more i have balls signed they would sign autoraphs and you could ask questions... I miss the expos and baseball here played for almost 20 years i still go watch my brother play.. Good times!!!
Yeah, I did! Except I went back in '73 and '74, and we had Steve Renko (he taught me how to bunt properly) and a few other guys whose names escape me now. I still have the ball signed by the '73 Expos. I had no idea that school was still going in the 90's.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:00 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
I think Montreal get's NFL before getting MLB back.
How hard can it be to support and NFL team anyway? Isn't the overwhelming majority of theit revenue froM TV rights rather than ticket sales like the NBA/NHL?
Sure but why owners would want to split revenues with a marginal market like Montreal? It would also cost an arm and a leg to get a franchise.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:02 PM
NHLcrazy

Not unless:

1-MLB has a hard salary cap
2-A new stadium is built in Montreal for baseball (too bad the Expos, Alouettes and Impact never thought of building a nice 45,000 seat multisport stadium downtown...)

So in other other words... not much chance.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Baseball's salary system benefits teams that want to spend a lot and it also helps teams that don't want to spend, especially if they can develop a lot of decent young prospects through their farm system.

I would prefer to see a purpose built baseball park similar to the one they have in Milwaukee.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
It appears I can cross Donald Fehr off my list....

I'm not optimistic that it will ever happen, but I love hearing even the tiniest glimmer of hope. I need my Expos back.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Captain Saku

Rather have an NFL or NBA team.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
Yeah, I did! Except I went back in '73 and '74, and we had Steve Renko (he taught me how to bunt properly) and a few other guys whose names escape me now. I still have the ball signed by the '73 Expos. I had no idea that school was still going in the 90's.
was an amazing school!

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:47 AM
coolasprICE

location...? RIGHT.

where the **** would a 500+ million dollar stadium be built?

blue bonnets, ideal location, is a no go... there are private plans scheduled to take over that land shortly.

east end? hell no... sorry east-enders, the money in this city doesn't want to go there.

I guess the only solution is for a rich investor to jump in quick, and try to squash the private dev. plans that are scheduled to take over the blue bonnet area... that'll probably be an expensive battle in itself.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:40 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Not unless:

1-MLB has a hard salary cap
2-A new stadium is built in Montreal for baseball (too bad the Expos, Alouettes and Impact never thought of building a nice 45,000 seat multisport stadium downtown...)

So in other other words... not much chance.
Finally, someone that truly understands what is wrong with baseball.
MLB are a bunch of liers.
WE Expo fans were promised a hard cap when things started to go crazy.
Rich teams just bought all the good players every year and that left the Expos and a lot of other teams with no chance in hell to win anything.
NOT FAIR, when the Expos complained about this, MLB told all the small teams to hang in there the new CBA will have a level playing field.
That was how many years AGO?????????????????????????
And still no Hard cap????????????
LIERS ALL. Expos had become a feeder team for the BIG TEAMS, so why on earth should I pay money to go see a FIXED GAME??

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:04 AM
ymenard

Blue Bonnets is really not the ideal place. It's as far from downtown than the current Olympic stadium. Plus it has the bottleneck of 1 small subway station far from it (at least, Pie-IX is steps away from the field, but the Anglos never understood that). Did you see what happened during the U2 concert? Now imagine half of that, 80 times per year. There is also not much alternative bus routes, at least Pie-IX/Sherbrooke is one of the main hub of the entire East STM.

I can see the current Griffintown proposal being expanded with a second deck and bleachers to say, 25000/30k if the momentum ever gets there, similar to what the Impact did. Create a stadium very close to the field, very open-ended to the streets and cityscape. Give access to the street like Yawkey way in Boston. We are a party city, try to create a party atmosphere during a Baseball game.

So basically, we're still 10 to 15 years before this "maybe" happens.

And _that_, and it's the big problem, is to give back to the Québécois the thrill of the game. Nobody cares about Baseball anymore everywhere in the province of Québec (and I've been in Baseball for 20 years). West-Ilanders can't support a Baseball team, it has to the be the 80% French Canadiens who do if it wants to be successfull.

ymenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

somebody explain to me what the hell is so wrong with the current olympic stadium in montreal? been to many expos games there and i honestly can't see why everyone is *****ing about it

inquiring minds want to know

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nordiques will be back before baseball. Montreal is a ''one trick poney'' in sport, the Canadiens...
The Als sell out most games, and the Impact do well in ticket sales also.....

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:56 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Finally, someone that truly understands what is wrong with baseball.
MLB are a bunch of liers.
WE Expo fans were promised a hard cap when things started to go crazy.
Rich teams just bought all the good players every year and that left the Expos and a lot of other teams with no chance in hell to win anything.
NOT FAIR, when the Expos complained about this, MLB told all the small teams to hang in there the new CBA will have a level playing field.
That was how many years AGO?????????????????????????
And still no Hard cap????????????
LIERS ALL. Expos had become a feeder team for the BIG TEAMS, so why on earth should I pay money to go see a FIXED GAME??
Exactly...

Why even bother joining the MLB if your're going to end up like the Blue Jays... Before every season starts they KNOW they are not making the playoffs.

I heard they were going to expand the playoffs to 6 teams per league... It's a start but without a hard cap there is absolutely no pont at all for the moment...

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote