HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Roy

Old
12-19-2011, 12:22 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I'd add to that on our end, but yeah. Those assets are exactly what Buffalo needs. I had no idea Eakin was as available as he apparently is.
I'd be very surprised if that was true. One Caps fan posting in this thread doesn't mean Eakin is available, and the fact that his proposal includes both Eakin and Johansson makes this incredibly fishy.

barneyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
I think most Washington fans would be averse to giving up Johansson and Eakin and Colorado's 1st in the same deal if it isn't for a star in the league.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think most Washington fans would be averse to giving up Johansson and Eakin and Colorado's 1st in the same deal if it isn't for a star in the league.
Roy is a 1st line center though... and his production over the last 4-5 years puts him in a top 15-20 center category... and his contract is a steal... so...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Roy is a 1st line center though... and his production over the last 4-5 years puts him in a top 15-20 center category... and his contract is a steal... so...
I love Roy, but the Caps would be gutting their future by sending 2 young guys AND a likely lottery pick for 1 1/2 seasons of Roy, after which he'll no longer be a steal. (not to mention that with your deal, the cap doesn't work for.. well the Caps lol)

barneyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:48 PM
um

Quote:
Any way Buffalo could pry Colorado's 1st rounder out of the Caps?

Johansson/Eakin is a package that has Buffalo all ears though.
not a chance in hell, unless you send us vanek with roy

also i put eakin there because i figured you guys might not want scraps

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:01 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Double no. Why do you think every Sabres fan said yes to it?
Roy is a good player, but for that package it would have to be someone with less of an injury history, and some size. The Caps are already soft enough.

If Johansson or the pick is taken out then it isn't as bad for the Caps.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
hawksfan79

I'm not sure if I understand the point of this deal. I've been reading the boards a lot lately and it seems like a lot of Buffalo fans are really dumping on Roy and Stafford. Roy seems to have a pretty good contract for his production (or has in the past) so what exactly are you looking for as far as centers? Most teams if they have a #1 center (or even for that matter a #2 center) making less than 4 million, they are keeping them and not trading them, or they are underachieving and then you'd have to ask why they are taking a flyer on them. The other option is to get a much more expensive center who is probably on a long term contract and Buffalo would have to add to make the salaries matchup since they are close to the cap. I'm honestly not sure where they are going with this one...

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeep View Post
Doesn't help the Oilers at all, the reason Gagner is expendable is that they are loaded at the center spot and like Buffalo they also need that big C. They don't need another highly skilled smurf, this why I see some Buffalo fans willing to give him up, like Edmonton they need some size.
Change Roy to stafford?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:06 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
not a chance in hell, unless you send us vanek with roy

also i put eakin there because i figured you guys might not want scraps
Figured. Even without the first, Johansson/Eakin is enticing. Buffalo really wants the cap dump to be another forward though, rather than a defenseman. Otherwise we'd probably extend the deal to send Marc-Andre Gragnani back.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Eakin
Was 1st
Was 4th

For

Roy

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
I'm not sure if I understand the point of this deal. I've been reading the boards a lot lately and it seems like a lot of Buffalo fans are really dumping on Roy and Stafford. Roy seems to have a pretty good contract for his production (or has in the past) so what exactly are you looking for as far as centers? Most teams if they have a #1 center (or even for that matter a #2 center) making less than 4 million, they are keeping them and not trading them, or they are underachieving and then you'd have to ask why they are taking a flyer on them. The other option is to get a much more expensive center who is probably on a long term contract and Buffalo would have to add to make the salaries matchup since they are close to the cap. I'm honestly not sure where they are going with this one...
Some people and members of the press are fixated on Roy as the cause of all the team's ills and have lumped Stafford in with him. Garth from Hockeybuzz -- about as crappy a source as any on that site -- has blogged that they are both available/being shopped so now it's of course all "true" since it's on the interwebz. Even coming from a softball coach from Grand Island who thinks he has insider connections to the NHL because he used to hang out with Jay McKee, it doesn't merit much consideration when looking at the incompetence of the source.

Roy's contract and production to cap are exceptional. They need a center to put him into the role as an ideal #2 or at worst someone comparable who would let them do a 2A/2B scenario. The issue is that a couple of local radio talking heads have latched onto either Spezza or Stastny as THE fix for the center issues and of course Ottawa is not moving Spezza and Stastny is over $2.5 M more than Roy for comparable production. Roy's the current whipping boy, Stafford is the next in the line of fire.

12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Some people and members of the press are fixated on Roy as the cause of all the team's ills and have lumped Stafford in with him. Garth from Hockeybuzz -- about as crappy a source as any on that site -- has blogged that they are both available/being shopped so now it's of course all "true" since it's on the interwebz. Even coming from a softball coach from Grand Island who thinks he has insider connections to the NHL because he used to hang out with Jay McKee, it doesn't merit much consideration when looking at the incompetence of the source.

Roy's contract and production to cap are exceptional. They need a center to put him into the role as an ideal #2 or at worst someone comparable who would let them do a 2A/2B scenario. The issue is that a couple of local radio talking heads have latched onto either Spezza or Stastny as THE fix for the center issues and of course Ottawa is not moving Spezza and Stastny is over $2.5 M more than Roy for comparable production. Roy's the current whipping boy, Stafford is the next in the line of fire.
Yes, Roy's got a good contract. But the team needs a change of the core players. They've had 5 years now to get it together and turn into a winner. It hasn't happened and won't happen. I wouldn't want to trade Vanek or Pominville. Vanek because of his hard-working attitude and also his combo of size/skill and (relative) speed. Pominville has a great two-way game. Roy, Stafford and Miller are good players but I believe moving them for pieces to bring in picks that could eventually be used to get us a Seguin/RNH or even a Sam Gagner, who might benefit from a change of scenery, are moves that I believe the Sabres need to make in order to be a true contender in the East with Pittsburgh, Boston, and Philadelphia.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Yes, Roy's got a good contract. But the team needs a change of the core players. They've had 5 years now to get it together and turn into a winner. It hasn't happened and won't happen. I wouldn't want to trade Vanek or Pominville. Vanek because of his hard-working attitude and also his combo of size/skill and (relative) speed. Pominville has a great two-way game. Roy, Stafford and Miller are good players but I believe moving them for pieces to bring in picks that could eventually be used to get us a Seguin/RNH or even a Sam Gagner, who might benefit from a change of scenery, are moves that I believe the Sabres need to make in order to be a true contender in the East with Pittsburgh, Boston, and Philadelphia.
Sam Gagner? Is that a joke? And Roy/Stafford/Miller aren't going to get us top-3 picks. Besides, we are not rebuilding.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:41 PM
um

Quote:
Figured. Even without the first, Johansson/Eakin is enticing. Buffalo really wants the cap dump to be another forward though, rather than a defenseman. Otherwise we'd probably extend the deal to send Marc-Andre Gragnani back.
maybe you can take joel ward instead?

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:03 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sam Gagner? Is that a joke? And Roy/Stafford/Miller aren't going to get us top-3 picks. Besides, we are not rebuilding.
Maybe Roy, Stafford, or Miller on their own won't get a top-3 pick on their own. But I'm sure we could get a top 10-15 pick for Miller or Roy, and Stafford for Gagner gives us a guy who's a consistent 50pt. guy with upside for more as he's only 22yrs. old. And why not partially rebuild. This team has been about as good as it usually is for long stretches without Roy, Miller or Stafford. None of them in my opinion is totally indispensable.

Stafford for Gagner is a respectable deal, IMO. It gives Buffalo a center who can be on the second/third line long term and has upside. It gives Edmonton size and skill on the right wing, and if Hemsky leaves it gives them a guy who can be in the top-6 and can score goals.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Maybe Roy, Stafford, or Miller on their own won't get a top-3 pick on their own. But I'm sure we could get a top 10-15 pick for Miller or Roy, and Stafford for Gagner gives us a guy who's a consistent 50pt. guy with upside for more as he's only 22yrs. old. And why not partially rebuild. This team has been about as good as it usually is for long stretches without Roy, Miller or Stafford. None of them in my opinion is totally indispensable.

Stafford for Gagner is a respectable deal, IMO. It gives Buffalo a center who can be on the second/third line long term and has upside. It gives Edmonton size and skill on the right wing, and if Hemsky leaves it gives them a guy who can be in the top-6 and can score goals.
Only on HF can a player be a "consistent 50-point guy" yet never have reached 50 points in any of his four NHL seasons. His career high is 42 pts. He's more of the same for the Sabres: an undersized finesse player who doesn't make enough of a difference on a nightly basis.

These are just more trades for the sake of trades.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
ChiHawk21

Kruger, McNeil, 1st

UHHH

Morin-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Roy-Hossa
Frolik-Bolland-Bickell
Carcillo-Mayers-Stalberg

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
Kruger, McNeil, 1st

UHHH

Morin-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Roy-Hossa
Frolik-Bolland-Bickell
Carcillo-Mayers-Stalberg
Tempting from Buffalo POV

It's really 2 mid-late 1st rounders and a young center prospect.... i like it.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:47 PM
kirby11

Derek Roy

IMO he's a solid 1b/2a/at worst 2b option if he's on a team that's stacked with centers. Generally good for 70-80 games and 60-70 pts. IMO, for this sabres team, he's not going to be a huge leader, has never really developed into being a clutch guy for us the way briere/drury were. The last 3 times he's been in the playoffs, he's played 23 games and has 10 pts total. But last year he had 35 pts through 35 games before he was injured. Could definitely be a good piece for a young team with cap space, and he's only making $4 mil for 2 more years. What would you give to get him?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Smoky

I would love for the Wings to go after this guy...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR HOLLAND!?!?!?

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:09 AM
MessierII

Good player. Would fetch a great return on February 27th.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Would love to have Roy center Ryan next year. Can we leave the Ryan-Roy trade talk out of this? Anyway,

Would Buffalo be interested in a package of Holland, Palmeiri, and Blake (cap reasons)? Close? Way off?

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:52 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Would love to have Roy center Ryan next year. Can we leave the Ryan-Roy trade talk out of this? Anyway,

Would Buffalo be interested in a package of Holland, Palmeiri, and Blake (cap reasons)? Close? Way off?
Buffalo would be interested in your first rounder

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
IMO he's a solid 1b/2a/at worst 2b option if he's on a team that's stacked with centers. Generally good for 70-80 games and 60-70 pts. IMO, for this sabres team, he's not going to be a huge leader, has never really developed into being a clutch guy for us the way briere/drury were. The last 3 times he's been in the playoffs, he's played 23 games and has 10 pts total. But last year he had 35 pts through 35 games before he was injured. Could definitely be a good piece for a young team with cap space, and he's only making $4 mil for 2 more years. What would you give to get him?
Are there rumors he's available? I would imagine if Buffalo's in the hunt like 6th-10th they would be trading the best center on the team.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:20 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
Buffalo would be interested in your first rounder
Along with at least a 3rd and a decent center or above average winger prospect please Kyle turris got rundblad and a 2nd, I'd say roy warrants a bit more than that

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote