HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Oilers report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 05:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
My Oilers report card

I did miss the first period because of work so if there is something from that period that makes my reports seem odd, go ahead and fill in the blanks.

Bergeron - My report never changes for him it seems. I love the dimension he adds to the offence but his work in his own end is downright scary at time. Tonight with the score 4-2, he hands the puck away and Salo has to shut the door.

Brewer - Better than he has been, but he should be the heart of the defence and he is not providing that.

Cross - Smart all night, I love the play on the goal. He recognized that Montreal overplayed Moreau, knows that a pp is coming so just steps up and puts the puck in the net.

Dvorak - Another solid game. Even when he is not producing offensively he never hurts us defensively. We could never say that about Anson.

Ferguson - Tonight he played a smart simple game. I don't expect more from him that is his role.

Hemsky - Made some nice passes and actually tried to shoot the puck from the halfboards on the PP. It got blocked but good to see.

Horcoff - He is never going to be a first line player IMO, but provides a defensive presence on that line which was sorely missing when he was taken off that line.

Isbister - Had a lot of responsibility tonight playing with two kids that had one game of experience between them. That whole line was excellent and that includes Isbister.

Moreau - Has he had a bad game yet? Loved the sacrifice of his body on the Cross goal and the blocked shot on one of the Montreal powerplays. Good effort again tonight.

Pisani - Man I kept on harping on how good he has been defensively, but loved to see that all his hard work was awarded tonight with 3 points. Should have been first star!

Reasoner - Another solid defensive effort tonight.

Salo - Made some important saves when they needed to be made. I am sure not a soul will comment on Salo's performance tonight because there is nothing bad to say. This guy never gets any credit when its due but gets all the blame even when it is not his fault.

Smith - Been the heart and sould of this team defensively this year. I am pretty sure he leads the team in plus - minus. Staios is better all around, but Smith has been good behind his blue line and there was no exception tonight.

Smyth - In a little bit of a funk, but Smytty will come out of it. Nice to see the team winning without him being at his best because we all know he will come around.

Staios - Another solid effort tonight.

Torres - Another gritty game and just keeps on bulging the twine, answered the bell when they came knocking to fight tonight. You gotta love this kids heart.

York - Even when he doesn't show up on the board offensively you notice his defensive work. Like Moreau blocked a shot on the two man disadvantage and was strong all night.

Peter Sarno - Wow, when a person is playing his first game you don't expect to say too much. But defensively he played like a veteran and offensively he created all night. Great game by him tonight, gotta love that he gets his first goal in his first game.

Tony Salmelainen - Good chemistry between him and Sarno, and he gets his first NHL point tonight. The fourth line really made the difference this evening.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

Salo - Made some important saves when they needed to be made. I am sure not a soul will comment on Salo's performance tonight...

I did! I did! Check the gameday thread

I pretty much agree with your report card...although I thought Horcoff was terrible to mediocre all night. I remember hearing Ray Ferraro say at one point that Sarno had to turn around because he was backchecking too hard...I guess we can't fault him for that eh?

Old
11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Sarno was a goal post from two. Great game by him. Hemsky looked a little off, and was guilty of more than a couple giveaways. Bergeron was also guilty of this, maybe cause he had alot of family in the stands and was trying to show off. Good road start... lets continue it in Ottawa... not so worried if we lose there... WANNA BEAT THE LEAFS BAD!!!!!

Old
11-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Hemmer

Re: Sarno

Anyone else notice he looks more than a little like Ol' Fishlips?

Old
11-05-2003, 11:20 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I did! I did! Check the gameday thread

I pretty much agree with your report card...although I thought Horcoff was terrible to mediocre all night. I remember hearing Ray Ferraro say at one point that Sarno had to turn around because he was backchecking too hard...I guess we can't fault him for that eh?
I pretty well agree on Horcoff though after watching the defensive performance of the line without him I kinda understand Mact's reasoning.

Yes I noticed a few people gave Salo some credit. Good to see.

Closed Thread