HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 08:16 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Sick. Tell me they were sick.

I realize Cunneyworth is incompetent, but that's Carbonneau level of badness.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:21 PM
danyhabsfan

My 2 favorites players are healthy scratch.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
holyhabs87

What fantastic coverage on the PK. A player alone at the side of the net on but he decides he wants to hug or start making out with Kane? What was he doing? If that was Diaz people would be killing him.

Another play where he is not close enough to his man which led to another scoring chance.

Then two plays at the blueline: he gets his shot blocked and another where he fumbles the puck and it leaves the offensive zone.

See how easy it is to make a player look bad?

I assume the fanboys will turn a blind eye to all of it.

Benching Subban with this piss poor defensive unit was a brutal decision.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:29 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
What fantastic coverage on the PK. A player alone at the side of the net on but he decides he wants to hug or start making out with Kane? What was he doing? If that was Diaz people would be killing him.

Another play where he is not close enough to his man which led to another scoring chance.

Then two plays at the blueline: he gets his shot blocked and another where he fumbles the puck and it leaves the offensive zone.

haters gonna hate....
crapoli was better, gill was better....as i said haters goona hate.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:49 AM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post

He was arguably our second d-man until JM put him on the right side/then benched him. It hurt his confidence. Still better than Campoli/Weber...

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Tak7

Not a Habs fan, thought I'd offer a bit of neutral insight.

Even a Norris trophy winning Dman would struggle to play for the Habs right now - just so sloppy and soft on the back end right now. Not sure if Hal Gill fiery is deserved.

In Toronto he struggled because he was next to crap. In Montreal he's struggling because he's next to crap. Put him in a competent system with half decent players like he was in Pittsburgh, and he can be a solid Dman.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Not a Habs fan, thought I'd offer a bit of neutral insight.

Even a Norris trophy winning Dman would struggle to play for the Habs right now - just so sloppy and soft on the back end right now. Not sure if Hal Gill fiery is deserved.

In Toronto he struggled because he was next to crap. In Montreal he's struggling because he's next to crap. Put him in a competent system with half decent players like he was in Pittsburgh, and he can be a solid Dman.
I think it's been apparent for Gill's Montreal career that he is a useful but limited defender who will thrive in the right roles and be a liability when more is expected of him. One of the biggest gripes I had going into this year was that by gambling on Markov and letting Hamrlik walk, the management seemed to assume Gill is a top 4 defender. He's not, especially at this point in his career, and he can be a serious 5 on 5 liability. He's a PK monster, but at this point the rest of the defense corps just isn't reliable enough to compensate for that. If anyone is going to be burned, I'd rather it be Subban, Emelin and Diaz, players who can get better at this point in their careers.

If there's anything I definitely blame Gauthier for, is putting together a defense where Hal Gill was assumed to be a top 4 defender. The veteran defenders going into this season were Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Markov and Campoli. Three of those guys are bottom minute defenders at best, and Markov was always going to be a question mark for at least half a season.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think it's been apparent for Gill's Montreal career that he is a useful but limited defender who will thrive in the right roles and be a liability when more is expected of him. One of the biggest gripes I had going into this year was that by gambling on Markov and letting Hamrlik walk, the management seemed to assume Gill is a top 4 defender. He's not, especially at this point in his career, and he can be a serious 5 on 5 liability. He's a PK monster, but at this point the rest of the defense corps just isn't reliable enough to compensate for that. If anyone is going to be burned, I'd rather it be Subban, Emelin and Diaz, players who can get better at this point in their careers.
Sensible viewpoint.

You are spot on about Gill being optimal in a very specific, certain role. That role isn't in Montreal, which is why I was quite surprised when he was brought back for another year. In hindsight one could say it was a poor decision, but it seemed a poor decision even before it was made.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Sensible viewpoint.

You are spot on about Gill being optimal in a very specific, certain role. That role isn't in Montreal, which is why I was quite surprised when he was brought back for another year. In hindsight one could say it was a poor decision, but it seemed a poor decision even before it was made.
There was a few of us who wanted Hamrlik back instead, Hammer might be near the end but he's well rounded, the type of player we needed in such an inexperienced defense when Markov was still an unknown. Gill is one of the main reasons the Habs PK is one of the best in the league but that's all he brings this team right now besides "leadership"

The good thing about Gill though is he'd be very valuable to a contender at the deadline.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
haters gonna hate....
crapoli was better, gill was better....as i said haters goona hate.
It's not necessarily a matter of being "hater".

Here in this thread, I was "against" all the hype and blind positivism for Emelin, but I certainly don't hate him, and I hope he will developp into that good physical d-man he can be. And there is no reason he won't. But it is true that he's far from the "great" d-man a lot of people here seem to think he is.

That said, I think he played "OK" yesterday on a team that played one of the worst hockey game I saw in awhile. He's certainly not deserving to be benched next game.

I defended Campoli in this thread, but man was he horrible yesterday! Ouch! But all I'm saying is that if Emelin got 20 games to "get into" the NHL, I think a proven NHL d-man like Campoli who skiped the training camp and who got hurt should have at least the same number of games. But man, I certainly hope he will be better than yesterday.

Subban made a lot of costly mistakes the last few weeks. But with the general lack of talent this team has on defence right now, it was totaly innapropriate to bench him.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
It's not necessarily a matter of being "hater".

Here in this thread, I was "against" all the hype and blind positivism for Emelin, but I certainly don't hate him, and I hope he will developp into that good physical d-man he can be. And there is no reason he won't. But it is true that he's far from the "great" d-man a lot of people here seem to think he is.

That said, I think he played "OK" yesterday on a team that played one of the worst hockey game I saw in awhile. He's certainly not deserving to be benched next game.

I defended Campoli in this thread, but man was he horrible yesterday! Ouch! But all I'm saying is that if Emelin got 20 games to "get into" the NHL, I think a proven NHL d-man like Campoli who skiped the training camp and who got hurt should have at least the same number of games. But man, I certainly hope he will be better than yesterday.

Subban made a lot of costly mistakes the last few weeks. But with the general lack of talent this team has on defence right now, it was totaly innapropriate to bench him.
he wont developp into a physical D, he's already one, and the only one we've got...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
he wont developp into a physical D, he's already one, and the only one we've got...
You're absolutly right. I should have precise that I think he still has to read the game better, be stronger in his "sortie de zone" (sorry, I dunno the english expression), position himself better in support of his partners, and communicate better. All stuff I thought justified him being press boxed sometimes.

That said, the way all the other d-men played the last few games, I'm all for Emelin staying in the lineup for awhile.

And I must add: If the descent continue and management decide to change teh makeup of this team, I'm all for playing our younger players the most, Emelin being part of it.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-23-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: merge
Old
12-23-2011, 10:26 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
You're absolutly right. I should have precise that I think he still has to read the game better, be stronger in his "sortie de zone" (sorry, I dunno the english expression), position himself better in support of his partners, and communicate better. All stuff I thought justified him being press boxed sometimes.

That said, the way all the other d-men played the last few games, I'm all for Emelin staying in the lineup for awhile.
all true, but the only way he can do that is by playing the games... there's so much you can learn by watching others.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:31 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
all true, but the only way he can do that is by playing the games... there's so much you can learn by watching others.
It depends how it's done, I think. I know that Pat Burns sometimes asked his younger players in the press box to watch carefully how certain players of the opposite team play the game, for teh youngster to better learn what is asked from him.

Old
12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Atas2000

[QUOTE=LePoche69;41332403]Yeah, I'm sure Habs coaching staff wakes up in the morning telling themselves "I wanna lose today, so I'll bench Emelin".

I don't understand why all minor/amateur teams in Quebec's leagues are not always winning. We have so many people that know who to play and how to play better than actual NHL coaches and former players.[/Q

alright, here we go. watch the stats. Emelin is even in a 0-4 game. go figure your NA coaches...

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:14 AM
LePoche69

[/QUOTE]alright, here we go. watch the stats. Emelin is even in a 0-4 game. go figure your NA coaches...[/QUOTE]

Just wow.... You judge a coaching staff made of experienced men on one game? I don't understand your logic because before that game, Emelin was the second worst on the team for +/-...

Anyway, reading your posts, I think you're not too far from a troll, so I won't argue more.

Old
12-26-2011, 10:09 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
The problem with this team has been quick fixes for as long as I can remember. Not once after being abysmal have they decided to ACTUALLY rebuild.
They must have watched Return of Jedi to many times "there is no rebuild, there is only retool."

I have a strong feeling that Markov is done. The fact that he had to have a 2nd operation on his knee after being so close to returning is NOT a good sign, hence why the acquisition of Kaberle.

This team is going no where in a hurry, I have actually stopped watching them after Gomez's return. I gave up on them. If you guys are fine with mediocre coaching and management go ahead and continue to hope for the best as it surely won't come.

The only way this team gets better is if they HIRE the best available coach/GM, and draft the best available players. Sign the best available players and to actually rebuild this team.

Cunney won't last until mid January because the media is killing his "non-French," and blaming that for a loser filled team.

Someone I know suggested Price wants out, but that is the exact opposite. He wants to stay, he wants to win but they have a hard time doing so when there is over $19m tied up with washed up and heartless players.

Really...I'd bench Gionta, Cammer and anyone else that shows a lack of effort on the ice. Gionta should have never been captain, that should have been left up to the players.

So fed up with this ****. They are a joke, I'd rather talk about the Leafs right now then this team (I'm from Toronto).

Oh btw LePoche69, stop using the Martin, Perin, Lemaire etc excuse. NONE OF THEM ARE COACHING!!

Time to get Ted F'ing Nolan up in this ****.

Old
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Bench Gionta for lack of effort? Lack of effort is not the issue with Gio. Frankly, I think he gets unfairly lumped in with Gomez and Cam. The guy's a solid player and has been one of our most consistent players over the last 2+ years.

And yea, the Habs have been building through drafts and trades but so of many other teams (Detroit, Philly, NYR, etc). The Habs problem is they've had incompetent people building this team. There doesn't seem to be any direction. There's no stability (frequent coaching changes). I have no idea what this team's supposed to be. You look at the way it's built, it makes no sense. It makes absolutely no sense. We absolutely have to get some hockey minds in here who eat, sleep, breathe hockey. Habs need to drop the smug/arrogant attitude and make more hockey moves and less political moves. Get rid of these silly rules like not negotiating contracts during the season.

Last edited by hockeyfan2k11: 12-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.
hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:26 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Apparently Price specifically pointed out Emelin as the best D playing in front of him. I guess Carey likes being protected?
Quote:
Price singled out Alexei Emelin for playing "exceptionally well" in front of him.
When the goalie goes out of his way to pimp up a D, maybe you should stop scratching him. Scratch Kaberle or something next game if you want to put Campoli in the lineup.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:06 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Apparently Price specifically pointed out Emelin as the best D playing in front of him. I guess Carey likes being protected?

When the goalie goes out of his way to pimp up a D, maybe you should stop scratching him. Scratch Kaberle or something next game if you want to put Campoli in the lineup.
That quote doesn't say he was the best D, he just said he played exceptionally well, which is true. I know he's your favourite, but come on.

I also dislike your hate for Kaberle. He hasn't been great, but he's far more useful than Gill or Campoli. Our PP has looked a heck of a lot better since Kabs has came aboard.

I love Emelin, but you make me like him a little less. Probably the same way that I do with Desharnais for some people.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:17 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
That quote doesn't say he was the best D, he just said he played exceptionally well, which is true. I know he's your favourite, but come on.

I also dislike your hate for Kaberle. He hasn't been great, but he's far more useful than Gill or Campoli. Our PP has looked a heck of a lot better since Kabs has came aboard.

I love Emelin, but you make me like him a little less. Probably the same way that I do with Desharnais for some people.
PP hasn't looked THAT good. You forget we just came off a four game losing streak where Ka-Ca were one of the main reasons for most of the losses. My hate isn't for Kaberle so much as what he represents which is more 8th place finishes. What's Kaberle's role really going to be when Markov returns? What if Markov is healthy the next two years too. Nobody is going to take Kaberle from us, and he's certainly not going to be the PPQB over Markov. Gill I agree needs to go, the PK was 100% without him and I'm more than comfortable putting Emelin in his spot.

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Kaberle-Weber

would suit me fine until Markov returns. I think Weber deserves another shot at playing D, he was scapegoated during a time when the entire team was slumping. Plus it gives us three LD three RD. Send Campoli to Alaska or something. If all else fails call up St-Denis. I feel more comfortable with him than Campoli.

Old
12-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Perrah

Quote:
PP hasn't looked THAT good. You forget we just came off a four game losing streak where Ka-Ca were one of the main reasons for most of the losses. My hate isn't for Kaberle so much as what he represents which is more 8th place finishes. What's Kaberle's role really going to be when Markov returns? What if Markov is healthy the next two years too. Nobody is going to take Kaberle from us, and he's certainly not going to be the PPQB over Markov. Gill I agree needs to go, the PK was 100% without him and I'm more than comfortable putting Emelin in his spot.

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Kaberle-Weber

would suit me fine until Markov returns. I think Weber deserves another shot at playing D, he was scapegoated during a time when the entire team was slumping. Plus it gives us three LD three RD. Send Campoli to Alaska or something. If all else fails call up St-Denis. I feel more comfortable with him than Campoli.
Weber wasnt scapegoated he was terrible on d losing battles constantly. Kaberle Weber is a disaster waiting to happen.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:28 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Weber wasnt scapegoated he was terrible on d losing battles constantly. Kaberle Weber is a disaster waiting to happen.
You think Weber hasn't worked on his game in practice in the month since he last played D? For as bad as Weber is, somehow he manages to be second in points for our defense. Not bad considering half his games are played on the fourth line. If RC truly is moving to a move offensive system Weber would be a good candidate to play.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Perrah

Quote:
You think Weber hasn't worked on his game in practice in the month since he last played D? For as bad as Weber is, somehow he manages to be second in points for our defense. Not bad considering half his games are played on the fourth line. If RC truly is moving to a move offensive system Weber would be a good candidate to play.
All those games on the 4th line he was still get PP time, that shows how offensively incapable our defense has been over how good weber has been. He is a bad match with kaberle and that duo would get hemmed in their own zone quite a bit.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

How about those hip checks?

Bowling over MSL was a thing of beauty.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote