HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 35 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 13 22.03%
Marty Biron 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 44 74.58%
Michael Del Zotto 1 1.69%
Brandon Dubinsky 45 76.27%
Marian Gaborik 2 3.39%
Dan Girardi 3 5.08%
Carl Hagelin 8 13.56%
Ryan McDonagh 4 6.78%
John Mitchell 14 23.73%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Brad Richards 0 0%
Derek Stepan 1 1.69%
Anton Stralman 2 3.39%
Other 3 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Brad Richards -3....ouch. Torts has gotta get him going. Time to shake up his line. Hopefully we see Wolski on his LW for the Florida game.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Machinehead
Pinot Kreider

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Brad Richards -3....ouch. Torts has gotta get him going. Time to shake up his line. Hopefully we see Wolski on his LW for the Florida game.
Not sure if the idea of Wolski improving anything makes me wanna laugh or shoot myself.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Agentsmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What the **** was up with that? I could not for the life of me understand that. Torts might have gone a little overboard giving him so many minutes this early in his career, but you don't virtually bench him after he was so good. Hagelin literally creates every single shift.

Like everyone has been saying, it sucks to lose, but we're in a great position, we are allowed to lose.

Richards was hands down our worst player. Something is up with him, after his hot streak, he's been pretty crappy for like the last 10 games.

I thought Boyle, Hagelin, Dubinsky and Callahan were our best players. Girardi and McDonagh did a nice job as well. John Mitchell, aside from his turnover, was very good as well.
agreed hagelin was one of the better players tonight. his -3 is kind of incidental which is why that is such a poor stat.

however, why not try richards with mitchel on the right side? the cally richards combo isnt getting it done even strength.

Agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I havent liked his game since day 1, yes he has some points but hes play is lackluster and not what we want from a # 1 center that were commiting huge dollars towards. Its ****ing sickening that we seem to sign these center that are supposed to be able to be number 1s but are lucky to # 2s. If you watch games around the league you have to play hard and we have some guys that are willing to do that but it has to be everyone especially the highest paid players. Gaby has shown flashbacks of timid play from last seasons playoffs, although he didnt play bad he has to try to create a little more out there and protect the puck.
And don't forget, this is a bad hockey team.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Ola

On the Power Play, it feels like still that we miss that one guy who sets it up. And thats dissapointing.

This is NOT Brad Richards fault, I think it solely reflects just how much GABBY lacks on the set-up of a PP side. This is how a PP works nowadays. You play 5 on 4. That is not enough against a good PK. A 4 man box is good enough to keep you on the outside and get into the shooting lanes. So it takes something else. You need to get the box moving so that they commit to one option, and then you need to turn to another option. And if you do that well enough -- the box will get scared and collapse very low -- and you can turn to shooting options full-time. It looks so easy for some PP's, they just BLAST away, but you can only do that if you get the box to give up basically and collapse. BRAD RICHARDS understands the nature of a PP. MDZ is OK. How Cally, Dubi and co plays don't matter much, because in the roles they have on the PP they aren't involved in the set-up really. But GABBY is and he just isn't able to master it. In Dallas, Riberio and Richards togehter handled the PP, got the box to move around, and constantly put the pucks in the areas it should be put. Its not easy, but if you understand the nature of it, if its in your backbone, it works by itself basically. You need to get that flow into the passing thats SOLELY designed to make life a biatch for the PK box. Opps, one PKer went a tad to hard after one of the point men -- it should be a given to make him go back and forth a couple of times so that he really ends up out of position. Etc etc etc. Gabby isn't doing that at all, instead he is looking for shots, trying to get open lanes etc. One needs to come first, then you can start to do the other.

I think one option for our PP going forward is for Torts to just manage to tear it down completely; because right now it seems like we are trying to play three diffrent styles at once. Like the Cally-Dubi-Anisimov(with Gabby factored in) type of plays down low; Gabby's solo show at the half-boards; Richards state of the art set up. And then try to build around Stepan-MDZ-Richards. And look, I love Stepan, but he ain't either that great on the PP. But he has the smarts and needs to be schooled here.

But the problem with a Stepan, MDZ and Richards trioka is that the sticks are all messed up. In reality you get Stepan into more of a shooting role, Richards into a play-making postion in which he lacks someone to take the heat of him on the right side, and a shooter on the left of him since MDZ is shooting left and can't one-time it off a feed from BR who sits at the right half boards. Its all messed up. But atleast those three got the smarts.

This is how a PP around Richards should be built:
1. Far post/down low guy(Right)-2. Creaseguy(x)-3. Playmaker along the right half-boards(Left)
4. LD(Right) - 5. Brad Richards(Right)

BR and the playermaker to the right dictates the tempo. The LD and the far post guy are shooting options. If those shooting options are taken away, BR can shoot himself of a pass from the Playmaker along the right half-boards.

Right now we have 1, 2 and 5. Gabby is not getting the job done in 3. We don't have 4.

Tough luck.

If I were in charge, I would maybe try something like this:
PP1 //A PP unit built around Richards.
Fedetenko-Dubi-Anisimov
Callahan-Richards

Downside: No D's. Its tedious option in many aspects: means a big change every time a PP comes up. AA isn't great in the Play Making role on the right half boards. He might be pressured. Callahan as a point man?
Upside: You start from scratch. You let Richards really run the show. Its so much easier to get these guys to buy into the PLAN: BR and and AA pass back and forth, if the PK commits to the points, AA feeds Fedetenko in the high slot. If the PK takes away the high slot, Richards feeds Callahan. If the PK takes away Cally and the high slot, BR shots himself. And if the PK commits to Cally, BR and Fedetenko, AA and Dubi takes the puck to the net from the corner. You ALWAYS knows what to do.
Options: Is Strålman playing? Maybe he can take Cally's position, and Cally take F-tanks position.

PP2//A classic PP set up on the left side.
Stepan-Boyle-Gabby
MDZ-McD(or a left shooting D, Erixon?)

Plan: Stepan and MDZ runs the show on the left side. The left shooting RD can either one-time it, or jump up into the play and Gabby roles into his position on the point to one-time it after a pass from MDZ.

Last edited by Ola: 12-29-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:24 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I havent liked his game since day 1, yes he has some points but hes play is lackluster and not what we want from a # 1 center that were commiting huge dollars towards. Its ****ing sickening that we seem to sign these center that are supposed to be able to be number 1s but are lucky to # 2s. If you watch games around the league you have to play hard and we have some guys that are willing to do that but it has to be everyone especially the highest paid players. Gaby has shown flashbacks of timid play from last seasons playoffs, although he didnt play bad he has to try to create a little more out there and protect the puck.
Regarding Richie, we're aware. You started the (in)famous thread. He had a horrendous game tonight but he's had a decent 4-5 game stretch of very good games nobody wants to acknowledge. He's a PLAYMAKER- when Carl Hagelin and Ryan Callahan aren't converting on chances they should be (and I can think of atleast 5 golden opportunities off the top of my head, which would put him on pace for 72 points) and you're not a guy who normally scores goals, you're going to suffer on the stat sheet. Looking at the guys he played with in Dallas, they're kind of better than our guys at scoring goals.

Regarding Gabby, he's tied for 1st in the league in goals. What more do you want the guy to do?

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 12-29-2011 at 03:33 AM.
BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Dustin Peener
boom boom

vCash: 465
Why does Semin always play so ****ing good against us?

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:24 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
repost from tail end of GDT:

the league's best power plays get the puck to the point, ideally in the center of the ice, get traffic to the net and whale away. without that threat you never get room for the back door tap ins and such.

kane, hossa and toews can make plays down low on the pp because the other team knows keith and seabrook are shooting given half a chance.

why do i know this but torts and sullivan don't?
Rangers don't have the shooters like Keith and Seabrook.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:31 AM
pld459666

End of the day, the Capitals physicality took the Rangers out of what they do best.

Physical teams, when they employ their physicality can and normally do stop the down low cycle game.

The Caps did that last night.

We need to eliminate that loss with a win tomorrow over Florida. The team has played 2 straight bad games, they have responded with better efforts when they do that normally.

We will see tomorrow.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dubinsky had an excellent scoring chance when the score was still 1-1. Vukoun got some the puck and it trickled wide of the net. He's moving his feet again. Dubinsky looks to be coming around which bodes well for the future. He has always been a streaky player. 10 goals in the first 13 goals last season. Ended up with 24. Reserve it this season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:19 AM
darko

1. Dubi
2. Cally
3. Arty

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dubinsky had an excellent scoring chance when the score was still 1-1. Vukoun got some the puck and it trickled wide of the net. He's moving his feet again. Dubinsky looks to be coming around which bodes well for the future. He has always been a streaky player. 10 goals in the first 13 goals last season. Ended up with 24. Reserve it this season.
Great point RangerBoy!

I was very dissapointed with Dubinsky's play after his first season and a half in NY (for the avoidance of doubt, I liked his play his first season and a half, after that he tried to be a player he is not).

I don't think he even remotely this season has had the problems he had around 2 years ago. Things just have not gone in for him, which has hurt his confidence and resulted in less ice time and so forth.

A player like Dubi is a 55-65 pts player and hockey player is always streaky. I don't think his play is any big deal this season. That kind of low output is almost to be expected from someone any year.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:43 AM
lebear
I have no idea

3 stars:
Dubinsky
Callahan
Artem

The Good: Just a fluke game. Overall play was pretty good, and the Caps stepped up huge. Main problem seemed to be lack of focus causing all those bad turnovers. Without them, game would've been close.

The Bad: see below

The Redden: Turnovers by everybody

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:46 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsmith View Post
agreed hagelin was one of the better players tonight. his -3 is kind of incidental which is why that is such a poor stat.

however, why not try richards with mitchel on the right side? the cally richards combo isnt getting it done even strength.
Worth a try, and I have some faith that Wolski and Richards will click, actually...

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Crease

National broadcast, against an underachieving team, with our backup in net. Not surprised we lost but I'm not blaming anyone. Dubinsky looked good. Hopefully he turns the corner soon. Can't wait to get Staal back.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I actually thought Richards had been fine this last little while, despite not getting the points. Then more and more of you start whining about how he's "sucking" and then he had a bad game last night. I think he'll bounce right back next game. I also think sooner or later were going to see

Stepan Richards Gaborik
Anisimov Dubinsky Callahan
Hagelin Mitchell Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust

I also agree with ola about Gaborik not doing his job on the power play. But i think Stepan has looked very good on the point as well as on the left wing boards. I'd like to see the following:

Stepan on the left point
DZ on the right point
Richards on the right boards (gaboriks current spot)

Then Gaborik either in front of the net, or on the left side boards and Callahan in the other.

Let Richards try dictating the power play from the side boards where hes got more options. He can go back to the point, down low to someone in the corner or across the seam in the middle if it's there. His passing alone might force the box out of position more than he can do at the point where he has fewer options and also has to worry about keeping the puck in and not turning it over for a breakaway. It's worth a shot because it's still not working the way it should and Gaborik is a black hole on the right wing boards.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Crease

Speaking of the Rangers PP, I don't understand why you would set up the umbrella with a right-handed shot on the left point and a left-handed shot on the right point. And I see it constantly with this team, especially when Gaborik sets up shop on the left side. You can't shoot off the pass like that, and you're more prone to getting your passes intercepted by the guy covering the point.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Bardof425*

Tough loss. Had chances, didn't bury them. They did. Biron was MEH as was Richards, MDZ and Stralman. Woywitka looked out of place. Girardi and Mcd were really good; especially Mcd getting involved in the offense. Had a few near misses.

As well as Dubi, Boyle and Mitchell are controlling the puck behind the goal line, they are not creating any scoring chances from that work. that is because Boyle (and Dubi to a lesser extent) have no creative sense. Mitchell played a great game and this line would be better with Dubi, Mitchell and someone who knows how to score (at least a little) and put Boyle on the 4th line (which is doing very little right now) so he doesn't need to score. The 3rd line should be a threat to score on a good team and right now they are not. Dubi's goal was off a block by Cally and was not a goal for that line.

Shake it off and play hard on Friday. Not loving Feds, Rupp or Prust these days. Might be time to put Avery back in.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

How many shots did the Captain block last night, how many times did he step in front of Ovechkin's slapper, by the way John Mitchell continues to impress me, steady, smart hockey...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Speaking of the Rangers PP, I don't understand why you would set up the umbrella with a right-handed shot on the left point and a left-handed shot on the right point. And I see it constantly with this team, especially when Gaborik sets up shop on the left side. You can't shoot off the pass like that, and you're more prone to getting your passes intercepted by the guy covering the point.
We should have players on their opposite sides to take one-timers.

A one-timer (if not shanked) can catch players by surprise and (I would think) is harder for the goalie to stop, because he has to move from one post to another.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:52 AM
MSG the place to be*

The whole game changed on Mitchell's drop pass turnover. As soon as it happened I smelled a Caps goal. The Boyle line's job was to make life tough for the Backstrom line and we just gift-wrapped that goal for them. Merry Christmas.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
The whole game changed on Mitchell's drop pass turnover. As soon as it happened I smelled a Caps goal. The Boyle line's job was to make life tough for the Backstrom line and we just gift-wrapped that goal for them. Merry Christmas.
Richards' turnover wasn't much better.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Richards' turnover wasn't much better.
Richards' was caused by defense. Mitchell's was caused by a brain fart

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Better regroup in Florida, the Rangers just played a dumb game. Not to mention one of their best forwards, Hagelin, was relegated to the fourth line at the end of the game, only 4 shifts in the third period.

It just looked like everyone's head is already in Philly, which is great since we have another game before then.
Hagelin, played very hard and was all over the ice. But there lies the issue, he was all over the ice, on every side of the ice. I love his effort but this was not his smartest game positionally.

There were numerous times where I saw him chasing the puck carry on the right side, while callahan was right there. and must of been thinking what is he doing all the way over here.

Even though Hagelin has scored since moving up, many of his goals are self created due to his speed, and have been on the rush. I really can't remember one goal created from being set up in the offensive zone by Richards or Calli.

With the Way Dubi is playing, I think having Hagelin on his opposite wing would be a great pair. I wouldn't say its a demotion, cause right now our Top 9 all get a lot of play. Also I thnik wolski will be exactly what Richards and Calli need, a shooter, who even if he doesn't score will get the puck on net, and give calli rebound chances.

But i do love hagelin's play, when he gets more experience he will be deadly. But still reminds me of Forrest Gump on ICE

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Hagelin, played very hard and was all over the ice. But there lies the issue, he was all over the ice, on every side of the ice. I love his effort but this was not his smartest game positionally.
I think they guy is still riding the high of playing in the NHL. He's running on emotion right now, and that brings good and bad sides to his game. He's Charlie Sheen with a hockey bag full of coke. once he comes down a bit, and plays the game more, the coaching staff will be there to work with him on things like positional play.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote