HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Alexander Semin (UFA) in the Offseason?

View Poll Results: Should the Flyers sign Semin in the off-season?
YES!!! He's the perfect linemate for Giroux. 0 0%
Yes, but only if the price is right. 6 6.32%
Maybe, I'd need to see what else is out there on the free agent market. 5 5.26%
No, I'm comfortable with our cheaper in-house options to pair with Giroux. 17 17.89%
NO!!!!! Alex "Sasha" Semin never gives full effort and isn't worth the money. 66 69.47%
No, I don't think he'll make it to free agency, the Caps will sign him long-term. 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAUCE View Post
i like how sandlansd types out this very well though out post and it doesn't get an recognition. then the primary reason people don't want semin is out of sheer bias.
I don't want Semin because of a host of well documented reasons. It has nothing to do with bias. It has everything to do with Semin being inherently undesirable.

12-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't want Semin because of a host of well documented reasons. It has nothing to do with bias. It has everything to do with Semin being inherently undesirable.
what are they? why dont you respond to his well documented reasons why we should sign him? or why he would compliment giroux well?

him being inherently undesirable is based off your bias for him... cmon dude.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:43 PM
mdm815

I read this site pretty much every day, but don't post frequently. I'm breaking that rule.

The OP brings up some really good points, we do need to address the Forward corps in the not to distant future. Is Semin the answer? My opinion is no, but is it really possible that on a forum that I feel has some pretty knowledgable fans, you've all spent five pages regurgitating the same points over and over? By now we can all agree that Semin isn't our cup of tea, but the OP's original point still remains valid. Can anyone contribute something other than "Semins lazy, do not want"?

And before you ask me to contribute, remember, I'm just here to read

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
what are they? why dont you respond to his well documented reasons why we should sign him? or why he would compliment giroux well?

He's been called out in the media by his teammates for lack of effort and consistency. He's been flat out god-awful this year. He's been decidely and incredibly streaky his entire career. He's a known and well-covered partier (we know how THAT goes in Philly). He's a diva who doesn't interact with teammates, sticks pretty much with OV, and treats the media and fans like crap.

I'd like to link a source to you, but this was all most recently discussed on a radio show by a Sovietsky Sports reporter who claimed to be good acquaintences with Semin and OV. I don't feel like digging up a podcast. He had actually called in to defend Semin after Bradley called him out in the media, but it backfired terribly since he decided not to lie about Semin.

him being inherently undesirable is based off of the fact that I generally like the Capitals and live in the middle of Caps country, so for years I've seen and heard more than enough about Semin to realize that he's nothing more than an upgraded Zherdev. I don't like seeing him on the Caps anymore, and I'd hate seeing him on the Flyers even more. There's no bias here, despite your wild accusations.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:57 PM
bauer

Quote:

because none of his reasons even bother to mention that our coach, someone who has a major influence over what players are brought in, absolutely despises lazy players. and Semin is one of the, if not the most, laziest players in the entire NHL. i don't give a damn how much skill he has. he doesn't fit Lavy's system which focuses on aggressive forechecking and hardwork. he would end up being a healthy scratch for many games, just like in Washington. he's a lazy dog. anyone who wants him here clearly hasn't watched him play. he's downright awful now.

bauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:55 PM
mm6492

Having a good game. His shot explodes.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:33 AM
BernieParent

To really bolster the entire line-up, Paul Holmgren should be making a list of forwards who excel in all three zones. Someone I would adore having on the Flyers is Nick Foligno; that's the kind of player who could put up points and also prevent them in the defensive end. Semin has not shown that he can contribute beyond his goalscoring ability.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:38 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Semin has not shown that he can contribute beyond his goalscoring ability.
Completely not true.

But he's Russian, so let's just continue to cite the stereotype because it's easier!

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Completely not true.

But he's Russian, so let's just continue to cite the stereotype because it's easier!
You aren't seriously trying to say that Alex Semin is a complete player are you? The guy is immensely talented, but issues with his work ethic and heart are well documented. There's a reason Washington signed him for 1 year and Brooks Laich for 6. Stop trying to make it seem like people are hating on Alex Semin "just because", he is literally a more talented version of Zherdev.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

If we were gonna spend big on a free agent forward, I would rather us target Parise. Semin has too much baggage coming with him. I figure a team with desperate for offense will sign Semin in the off-season and he they will be disappointed. It's not because he is Russian, but it's because he doesn't play motivated all the time and his heart is always questioned. Parise is an all heart and soul guy that I would just much rather have long term.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
You aren't seriously trying to say that Alex Semin is a complete player are you? The guy is immensely talented, but issues with his work ethic and heart are well documented. There's a reason Washington signed him for 1 year and Brooks Laich for 6. Stop trying to make it seem like people are hating on Alex Semin "just because", he is literally a more talented version of Zherdev.
When Semin is on his game, he is a two way player. He is extremely responsible defensively.

I agree that he is extremely streaky and inconsistent...but the poster I quoted said that "Semin has not shown that he can contribute beyond his goalscoring ability".

Like I said-- that's completely not true. He's a quite good two way player when he's on top of his game. He even contributes on the PK as well.

This idea of him being a more talented version of Zherdev is just Russian stereotyping and it completely false.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
mm6492

I wish we could move Briere this offseason. I love him as a player, but i would love to have his cap room to improve the team with some younger talent. I see Briere declining soon and that

Don't turn this as I hate Briere or don't appreciate his playoff performances, cause I do. I just think that we could better spend that 6.5M cap hit this offseason

But I don't see him waiving his NMC or Homer moving him. So this was kinda a useless post.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
mirimon

I'll be very surprised if Semin is a Flyer next season. Our main focus in the off season will most likely be on defense. With only Jagr being an upcoming UFA (among playing) forward and the depth we have, I don't see the reason to give out the type of contract I think Semin will command. He is immensely talented and still very young, unless he has a complete breakdown in the last half of the season, some GM will pay an insane amount of money for him.

If Jagr calls it a career (or signs somewhere else), and we sign a Russian-ish player, I think Andrei Kostitsyn is more likely. Not saying I'd want that, but he seems like more of a fit than Semin to me.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote