HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penalty kill-AHL#1,NHL#30?????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2011, 10:00 PM
  #51
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
If one accepts that Gardiner and Crabb are not at fault and positioned where the coaches want them....
What good are they in this play? Neither one of them accomplished a thing.
Left dman wide open... because of Bozak falling and Phaneuf not making a play.
Right dman wide open... because Crabb is too low.
Forward with an uncontested screen... because Gardiner is executing coach's policy in not trying to box him out.
You say that the positioning didn't work for this "particular play". When has it ever worked? This is a 15-second microcosm of everything that spews about what could be the most poorly coached and executed unit in the sporting world... ever... of all time.
No, this is where Crabb takes two strides to the right because Bozak blew a tire to fill the LD shooting lane. That is where the play broke down.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:00 PM
  #52
baton elevated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Board play is the biggest problem that this team has. If you guys remember when we killed the last penalty in Buffalo game, we won every single board play in our zone, which led to efficient clear.
You nailed it! This team is the weakest team in the league up and down the walls. If you do not control the boards, you do not control the game. In '93 with Burns that was a strong suite of the team, and we were unbeatable. Probably the best team we had in the last 20 years. One of the reasons the Bruins are so hard to play against and beat. Because really, they are not the most talented team in the world. But then again they do have goaltending, something else we seem to lack.

baton elevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
  #53
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
If one accepts that Gardiner and Crabb are not at fault and positioned where the coaches want them....
What good are they in this play? Neither one of them accomplished a thing.
Left dman wide open... because of Bozak falling and Phaneuf not making a play.
Right dman wide open... because Crabb is too low.
Forward with an uncontested screen... because Gardiner is executing coach's policy in not trying to box him out.
You say that the positioning didn't work for this "particular play". When has it ever worked? This is a 15-second microcosm of everything that spews about what could be the most poorly coached and executed unit in the sporting world... ever... of all time.
Many teams use a fronting system where they're forwards collapse, it hasn't worked for the Leafs, but this is a play where 2 players get sucked out of position so Crabb and Gardiner have to cheat. Phaneuf never gets back in to a good defensive position and nobody is in Garrison's lane because of it. Ideally Phaneuf gets back so Gardiner can shift left and block the shot, but that doesn't happen, he wanders back in to no mans land.

I think the PK sucks, but I wouldn't blame Crabb or Gardiner on that play, they're basically working by themselves there. Phaneuf looks awful and Bozak blows a tire, that's the cause of that goal in my eyes.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:06 PM
  #54
mulebreath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
No, this is where Crabb takes two strides to the right because Bozak blew a tire to fill the LD shooting lane. That is where the play broke down.
Over committing... to go along with poor positioning. Gardiner is already in that area. So he tries to block the left dman.... so now where's the right d-man. Changing a tire, finishing his lunch and calling for the puck.

mulebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
  #55
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Well yeah that is where the play broke down, what are you even trying to argue here? Had the LD shot through the screen it was the right play. This hockey game is really quite hard at the NHL level.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:15 PM
  #56
mulebreath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Many teams use a fronting system where they're forwards collapse, it hasn't worked for the Leafs, but this is a play where 2 players get sucked out of position so Crabb and Gardiner have to cheat. Phaneuf never gets back in to a good defensive position and nobody is in Garrison's lane because of it. Ideally Phaneuf gets back so Gardiner can shift left and block the shot, but that doesn't happen, he wanders back in to no mans land.

I think the PK sucks, but I wouldn't blame Crabb or Gardiner on that play, they're basically working by themselves there. Phaneuf looks awful and Bozak blows a tire, that's the cause of that goal in my eyes.
Well, I could go along with some of that, it's a broken play and you got 2 guys trying to compensate... and doing a piss-poor job of it.
Crabb is way too low to begin with, Phaneuf should just plain not be pk'ing. Yes, it seems to be some kind of bizarro coaching policy, to collapse forwards to the net and yet, even with all that collapsing, to leave forwards to set up shop in front of the goalie. It may be a strategy that has somehow worked for some teams but we clearly don't have the personnel or the instruction to pull it off. Why they stick to some system that is a clear and utter fail, that is hard to figure.

mulebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:18 PM
  #57
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
Well, I could go along with some of that, it's a broken play and you got 2 guys trying to compensate... and doing a piss-poor job of it.
Crabb is way too low to begin with, Phaneuf should just plain not be pk'ing. Yes, it seems to be some kind of bizarro coaching policy, to collapse forwards to the net and yet, even with all that collapsing, to leave forwards to set up shop in front of the goalie. It may be a strategy that has somehow worked for some teams but we clearly don't have the personnel or the instruction to pull it off. Why they stick to some system that is a clear and utter fail, that is hard to figure.
I don't mind the collapsing or the fronting, but we're not committing to either a shot blocking or a pressure PK system, which puts us in a bad spot. Add the terrible board work (the biggest issue on the PK in my opinion) and it's easy to see why the team's struggling there. It's just too simple to say a player in Crabb's spot and a d-man not boxing out will obviously fail, because that's not true. Doing that with the other failures will, but they were probably in the best positions for that play.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
  #58
mulebreath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I don't mind the collapsing or the fronting, but we're not committing to either a shot blocking or a pressure PK system, which puts us in a bad spot. Add the terrible board work (the biggest issue on the PK in my opinion) and it's easy to see why the team's struggling there. It's just too simple to say a player in Crabb's spot and a d-man not boxing out will obviously fail, because that's not true. Doing that with the other failures will, but they were probably in the best positions for that play.
For sure, the board work/puck battles are ridiculous. They collapse 4 guys to the front of the net... and then lose out on a 2-on-4. 3 of the guys collapsing just end up standing around, maybe swatting at the occasional fly. Opponents bobble the puck in the corner, we rush 3 guys to the corner... and then lose a 2-on-3.
This is still the ultimate responsibility of the assistant coach in charge of pk, to come up with the right personnel and a system they can work with. Why is this guy still here?

mulebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:20 AM
  #59
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,459
vCash: 500
Sort of in relation to our penalty kill, do we lead the league in giving up the most 2 man advantages to the opposing team? Surely there can't be a team that gives up more 5 on 3's than us.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
  #60
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
In case you didn't notice, (ie:last night)the Leafs don't play Crosby and Stamkos every night, and they still get lit up. You don't find it odd that 2 teams within the same orginization are on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum in their respective leagues? It would seem to me that there is a GLARING difference in the systems they use.
Okay so you're saying the Panthers PP units are inferior to the Lake Erie Monster's PP? Interesting.

Why not go to a GTHL game, find the team that has the best PK and copy them. Hopefully the guys in the NHL also cant handle a pass, and also fall while trying to pivot.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
  #61
MaximAmirian
Registered User
 
MaximAmirian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Iran
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not here to beat a dead horse, but how can our NHL coaching team be so low yet the AHL team is so high? Maybe it's time for Wilson to take Eakins out for lunch and pick his brain....no??
Mike Zigomanis

MaximAmirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:14 AM
  #62
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAmirian View Post
Mike Zigomanis
Is not an NHLer.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.