HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Madden signs with Panthers

Old
12-29-2011, 01:19 AM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARampage View Post
Contract question here. With the resent signings of Thomas and now Madden isn't Florida near it's max in amount of contracts they can have?
we also terminated Plante's contract though, didn't we?

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I love the (hopefully) signing. Some random thoughts...

1. I like a GM who is always looking to make the team better.
2. As a GM, you make this kind of move when you expect to make the playoffs. You come to this kind of team as a player because you expect them to make the playoffs.
3. Most importantly - ownership is spending money to make the team better.
4. Madden & Goc on the 3rd & 4th line - very strong. Now if we could just shore up the 2C position. If Matthias continues to step up, will be very nice for everyone... except Santorelli.
I think your fourth point is very good, love the thought.

However, I hope this (likely) signing doesn't mean that one of our injured guys, especially Goc, is not coming back anytime soon, maybe not even this season. I am a little worried since we don't get reliable and accurate info on the extent of injuries.

Anyway, even in the positive scenario, we still have to decide whether Matthias is (at present) good enough for the second line center spot, come playoff time. I think it is still too much to ask from him, and would therefore want to strengthen that spot.

Signing FA Madden would open up more opportunities in trading for a second line center, without necessarily including Matthias in the deal (I want to keep him, he is developing well). As an example, with Madden and Matthias as 3rd and 4th line centers, we could package Goc (not just Santo) for an upgrade at c. If circumstances are right, and the right deal is on the table, that is.

Last edited by Tuco: 12-29-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:35 AM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

I like something resembling this:

1. Weiss
2. Matthias
3. Madden
4. Goc

I thought Goc played very well. We'll have to see when he comes back, we know too well how concussions can affect gameplay. Also, Santorelli who?

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:39 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Any questions on why we love versteeg, why we should get Madden, and why it's finally fun to be a Panther fan...

Kris Versteeg played with Madden on the Blackhawks’ championship team in 2009-10 and said Madden called to check on the situation in South Florida. Florida also has Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell from that Stanley Cup winner. “I told him, ‘Hey man, if you want to be part of a great team coming up, this is the place.’ We have a great facility and great weather, too,” Versteeg said. “Everything is going in a good direction. He’s excited about getting down here.” As far as Madden fitting in? No problem, Versteeg said. “Mads is awesome. He’s a great person and has won three Cups. He brings leadership, effort every night and great knowledge of the game,” Versteeg said. “It’s great to have a guy like Mads come in here. It may take him three or four games to get going, but obviously you have to be confident he’ll get back into it. I’m sure everyone is going to be happy to have him.Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/2...#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/2...#storylink=cpy

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I think your fourth point is very good, love the thought.

However, I hope this (likely) signing doesn't mean that one of our injured guys, especially Goc, is not coming back anytime soon, maybe not even this season. I am a little worried since we don't get reliable and accurate info on the extend of injuries.

Anyway, even in the positive scenario, we still have to decide whether Matthias is (at present) good enough for the second line center spot, come playoff time. I think it is still too much to ask from him, and would therefore want to strengthen that spot.

Signing FA Madden would open up more opportunities in trading for a second line center, without necessarily including Matthias in the deal (I want to keep him, he is developing well). As an example, with Madden and Matthias as 3rd and 4th line centers, we could package Goc (not just Santo) for an upgrade at c. If circumstances are right, and the right deal is on the table, that is.
I don't think Goc is going anywhere. He's a very good player and the kind of guy you want on the 3rd line. It's hard because we have some good guys, but I think Goc is someone we want to have here for awhile.

12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I don't think Goc is going anywhere. He's a very good player and the kind of guy you want on the 3rd line. It's hard because we have some good guys, but I think Goc is someone we want to have here for awhile.
Completely agree. Goc is a quietly good player. Really liked what I saw out of him while he was in the lineup. Great bottom six guy. Doubt he goes anywhere.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Yes, I agree that Goc is good. No doubt about it. I just wanted to point out that signing Madden would open up (positive) options for us in case Tallon wants to make some adjustments. This is something we didn't have before, when all legit FAs signed elsewhere. Madden's possible signing here is a reflection of our credibility going up in this league. Which is great.

If we get healthy at some point, we will have too many 3rd line centers in my opinion, but not really a legit second line scoring center. And Goc might be part of a solution to that need. One way or another. First and foremost though, I'd like to see him healthy and back in the line up.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Yes, I agree that Goc is good. No doubt about it. I just wanted to point out that signing Madden would open up (positive) options for us in case Tallon wants to make some adjustments. This is something we didn't have before, when all legit FAs signed elsewhere. Madden's possible signing here is a reflection of our credibility going up in this league. Which is great.

If we get healthy at some point, we will have too many 3rd line centers in my opinion, but not really a legit second line scoring center. And Goc might be part of a solution to that need. One way or another. First and foremost though, I'd like to see him healthy and back in the line up.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, I think I'd rather find a guy who could fit on opposite Matthias and Samuelsson on the second line and have Bergenheim join Kopecky and Goc on the 3rd line. May be Upshall, but I do think Bergenheim was the weakest link on that line. Not at all bad, but there's a couple other guys (Upshall, though, his value is low since he's been injured) I'd like to see moved well before Goc.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Yeah, I get what you're saying, I think I'd rather find a guy who could fit on opposite Matthias and Samuelsson on the second line and have Bergenheim join Kopecky and Goc on the 3rd line. May be Upshall, but I do think Bergenheim was the weakest link on that line. Not at all bad, but there's a couple other guys (Upshall, though, his value is low since he's been injured) I'd like to see moved well before Goc.
Me too. The idea about trading Goc was just an example, and if I would trade him, I would only do it if his trade value was so much higher than the other possible trade "chips" we have, that it would make a difference and fetch us the guy we want. If this was the case, I think it may justify trading a good player like Goc as well.

Anyway, I'll stop this discussion from my part now, since I don't feel good about saying these things about Goc, who has done very well here.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
RainingRats

Madden would be stop gap. Goc is too good as a third line center to trade because we signed Madden. I don't even want Madden. I think he will be disappointing. Last I heard was that his best days were far behind him. Not interested. All this tells me is that Goc is probably out much longer than expected which sucks.

I might be wrong about MAdden, I haven't followed him closely since his NJ days.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Yeah the front office is extremely high on Goc. He's definitely not going to become the odd man out.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Madden would be stop gap. Goc is too good as a third line center to trade because we signed Madden. I don't even want Madden. I think he will be disappointing. Last I heard was that his best days were far behind him. Not interested. All this tells me is that Goc is probably out much longer than expected which sucks.
Yep, especially after reading Tallon's comments on Herald, it looks probable that Goc is out for a long time.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Me too. The idea about trading Goc was just an example, and if I would trade him, I would only do it if his trade value was so much higher than the other possible trade "chips" we have, that it would make a difference and fetch us the guy we want. If this was the case, I think it may justify trading a good player like Goc as well.

Anyway, I'll stop this discussion from my part now, since I don't feel good about saying these things about Goc, who has done very well here.
No worries. I got what you meant, just wanted to rally to Goc's defense, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post

I might be wrong about MAdden, I haven't followed him closely since his NJ days.
He'll be a 4th line guy, had 12 goals and 25 points last season for Minnesota, is still a very hard worker, great example, will provide leadership, very good on the PK, and still very good in the face off circle.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Tuco

Quote:
No worries. I got what you meant, just wanted to rally to Goc's defense, lol.
In a good Lausian manner, you did just that!

Hope everyone else gets it too.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 325
Quote:
@OnFrozenPond George Richards
#FlaPanthers coach Kevin Dineen says John Madden is here to continue talks and take physical...
Dale, get it over with.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:39 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Hearing hold up on #FlaPanthers signing C John Madden is visa related; that and Weiss, Goc back soon
Interesting..

Old
12-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Interesting..
It is, would rather we move Santo and Dads! lol

Old
12-29-2011, 12:12 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
It is, would rather we move Santo and Dads! lol
What, realistically, would Santorelli and Dadonov fetch us in a trade?

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

With the talent and depth that we have, I'm fine with trading Santorelli as well. I see Goc as an important asset to keep over the next few seasons. Just from what he showed before his injury impressed the organization enough. I love those quotes from Versteeg about Madden and trust those ex-Hawks that they know he'll be a good fit on and off the ice.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
flomarilius

Well wait if Goc and Weiss are close to return then picking up Madden shouldn't be urgent. His market value is little to none and if we don't sign him it doesn't neccessarily mean he will get a contract elsewhere. What if we package Santorelli and Bradley and a prospect to Calgary for Jokinen?

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomarilius View Post
What if we package Santorelli and Bradley and a prospect to Calgary for Jokinen?

Old
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
What, realistically, would Santorelli and Dadonov fetch us in a trade?
Don't know. We're always surprised at who goes where for what and whom gets traded for...THAT? I'm guessing we'd have to add

Quote:
Well wait if Goc and Weiss are close to return then picking up Madden shouldn't be urgent. His market value is little to none and if we don't sign him it doesn't neccessarily mean he will get a contract elsewhere. What if we package Santorelli and Bradley and a prospect to Calgary for Jokinen?
Nope. Not coming back. Thankfully.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
This.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Erick*

Quote:
The day Dale Tallon acquires Olli Jokinen, pigs will fly.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:03 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
#FlaPanthers Dale Tallon says John Madden at doc being checked out; team talking to other players as well. Something will happen by Monday