HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

McQuaid Beats Down Torres

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
keslehr*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
well he should have to answer the bell for either spearing McQuaid or running Ference (which was ****ing brutal) but obviously he wont. both of those guys would tune him up. have to laugh though at you saying hansen breaking his hand in a fight with McQuaid, he would have to hit something with is hand to do that, he might get his face broken, but not his hand
Cool story. Got any more gems from the future?

Old
12-29-2011, 02:41 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Cool story. Got any more gems from the future?
haha okay? whats your deal?

Old
12-29-2011, 02:53 AM
VanCanucks14

Ouch, poor Raffi. Still like the guy but he got the bad end of that one to say the least.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:26 AM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post

how about the Bruins on the ice watching the fight, Thornton, Campbell, Ference, and Paille oohing as he watches, tough crew

Old
12-29-2011, 07:48 AM
CamFan81
Derp

insult to injury, Torres should get at least a game for that hit too.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:24 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

If a player is gonna give a cheap shot like that then i have no issue with adam's response. However i disagree when its a clean but big open ice hit and the player who made the hit is forced to fight a guy like Adam.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:36 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
If a player is gonna give a cheap shot like that then i have no issue with adam's response. However i disagree when its a clean but big open ice hit and the player who made the hit is forced to fight a guy like Adam.
i tend to agree good clean hits that are hard dont need a response. (although i do enjoy watching a bruins tune up an opposing player no matter the circumstances.) this particular hit deserved the beating though. torres is an unlikable player that has a history of taking runs at people and throw questionable and dirty hits.

i still think the instigator rule is crap though. torres deserved his beating and the refs knew it was a bad hit cause they called him for it i dont think an instigator and 10min was needed in this situation. (although i have no problem them handing it out for a fight after a clean hit.) i just think if the hit was dirty then they should allow a player to pound on the offender without getting the extra 2 and 10min.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
OpenIceHit42

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
FanHabtic

No problem with this beatdown as it was deserved. However, i don't like to see players continue to throw punches when the player is down. For some reason, the Bruins always resort to those types of classless and cheap tactics.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
No problem with this beatdown as it was deserved. However, i don't like to see players continue to throw punches when the player is down. For some reason, the Bruins always resort to those types of classless and cheap tactics.

Player A with a headshot. Player B gets angry and defends teammate. Throws an extra punch or two at end. Player B is classless and cheap.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Really....they aways do that? Every time....every fight? Way to throw a general slanderous statement out there like its a fact. I just think you haven't seen a fight in a while. You become too sensitive watching Hab games. That and you hate the Bruins. It ok...its pretty clear. Next time someone cheap shots one of your players...have mercy. He won't do it again. Is that the Habs way? I think not.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
Really....they aways do that? Every time....every fight? Way to throw a general slanderous statement out there like its a fact. I just think you haven't seen a fight in a while. You become too sensitive watching Hab games. That and you hate the Bruins. It ok...its pretty clear. Next time someone cheap shots one of your players...have mercy. He won't do it again. Is that the Habs way? I think not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCdntbwO5c

Ferrence throwing punches at Moen after they are on the ice. There are many examples. It just seems as though the Bruins are the perpetrators of this. I'm all for a good punch-up but for god sake respect the code.

I'd like to think Bruins fans would be in agreement with this?? Or is thuggery and unsportsmanlike behaviour something that is innate amongst Beantowners?

Old
12-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Ouch, poor Raffi. Still like the guy but he got the bad end of that one to say the least.
He's one of those guys where you love him when he's on your team...but then all is forgotten after your team plays against him a couple times.

I wish the Oilers had more guys like McQuaid. No offense to Eager and Hordichuk but Peckham is probably the only guy that really sees red when something happens to his teammates and throws everything his coach said about "playing disciplined hockey" out the window.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

Realistically, how is McQuaid's response any different from Torres' crime? Both are headshots with intent to injure. It is just we tolerate headshots when it comes to fighting. But don't argue this was both players willing when an instigator is involved. And to all those that hate the instigator, Torres received a penalty on the play.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

Ferrence throwing punches at Moen after they are on the ice. There are many examples. It just seems as though the Bruins are the perpetrators of this. I'm all for a good punch-up but for god sake respect the code.

I'd like to think Bruins fans would be in agreement with this?? Or is thuggery and unsportsmanlike behaviour something that is innate amongst Beantowners?
Actually, the Bruins obey the code far too often. The Habs are the Habs, and thus get special treatment, as well they should.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Realistically, how is McQuaid's response any different from Torres' crime? Both are headshots with intent to injure. It is just we tolerate headshots when it comes to fighting. But don't argue this was both players willing when an instigator is involved. And to all those that hate the instigator, Torres received a penalty on the play.
Oh *this* lame argument.

With a headshot from a hit you don't (or shouldn't) know what is coming --because you don't assume the other player is going to target your head.

In a fight the opposite is true, Torres could have defended his own head 100% (turtle) but instead he chose to use his energy to try and throw punches / inflict damage back.

The point is that Torres was engaged in a fight willingly while Ference did not willingly expose his head to a cheapshot.

To me this stupid argument (comparing fights to a head-shot hit) is as stupid as comparing a body-check to a knee-check and then saying that there isn't a difference in the hits because it is a contact sport.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
I think they aren't that different, but the issue is that the response doesn't usually follow the initial crime. Players like Torres generally get a free pass (sure they get a penalty) but too many times players don't respond like McQuaid did; and sometimes only with pushing or face washing; which ends up getting someone 2 minutes for roughing.

As a Bruin fan, and a hockey fan, I'm content to see 5 v. 5 hockey after that play; it's when there isn't a real response or worse, when there isn't an initial penalty call and the response gets the other team a power play; that is when the instigator rule fails.

If you pull that rule out of the league; it will make guys like Torres a little less likely to run around like they do. It certainly doesn't fix the problem. Claude Lemieux & Ulf Samuelsson, to name a few, had plenty of success before 1992. But in the eyes of most, that type of play was a lot less prevelant than it is today.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Actually, the Bruins obey the code far too often. The Habs are the Habs, and thus get special treatment, as well they should.
The Bruins break the code more than any other team. AS i said - i'm all for a good fight but when you punch a guy when he's down you are fall in the category of classless goon. The Bruins fall in this category far too often for my liking.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Good grief.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
The Bruins break the code more than any other team. AS i said - i'm all for a good fight but when you punch a guy when he's down you are fall in the category of classless goon. The Bruins fall in this category far too often for my liking.
So how does flopping and embellishment fit into your code? The Habs have no honor because of their well know knack for the "thespian arts", thus the code would not apply to them if they ever happened to engage in what should be an honorable bout.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

Quote:
Oh stop being so sanctimonious. Torres didn't get benefit of "the code" because of the cheap shot on Ference and for other transgressions that pre-dated this game. Somewhere, Brent Seabrook is probably smiling.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
So how does flopping and embellishment fit into your code? The Habs have no honor because of their well know knack for the "thespian arts", thus the code would not apply to them if they ever happened to engage in what should be an honorable bout.
This coming from a fan of a team that has Brad Marchand as a headliner!!

When Marchand suits up for the game he dons his snorkel and fins...

But back to topic in hand. We are talking about hockey fights right?

Old
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

Isnt the point of a fight to injure your opponent?

The code is BS created in the early 1990s by enforcers so they could fight 40 times a year without getting injured.

Watch fights from the 1970s, plenty of angry fighting with players hitting each other when down.

The sooner this code BS leaves hockey, the more entertaining it will be.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:13 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Huh. Strange. I thought I clicked on the McQuaid vs Torres fight thread but I must have accidently clicked the thread about Ference having a fabricated history of bad hits and whos more classless: Boston or Montreal?

Now where is that McQuaid thread.....

Old
12-29-2011, 01:14 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautzie View Post
Oh stop being so sanctimonious. Torres didn't get benefit of "the code" because of the cheap shot on Ference and for other transgressions that pre-dated this game. Somewhere, Brent Seabrook is probably smiling.
And Moen? What was the code-breaking offense that resulted in Ference throwing punches when they were down?

And you call me sanctimonious? You are trying to justify blatant code-breaking offenses by your beloved Bruins! LOL

Oh i forgot, the Bruins are immune to having to play within the code of conduct when it comes to fighting.

Closed Thread