HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

McQuaid Beats Down Torres

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
  #51
keslehr*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
well he should have to answer the bell for either spearing McQuaid or running Ference (which was ****ing brutal) but obviously he wont. both of those guys would tune him up. have to laugh though at you saying hansen breaking his hand in a fight with McQuaid, he would have to hit something with is hand to do that, he might get his face broken, but not his hand
Cool story. Got any more gems from the future?

keslehr* is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 02:41 AM
  #52
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Cool story. Got any more gems from the future?
haha okay? whats your deal?

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 02:53 AM
  #53
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,522
vCash: 500
Ouch, poor Raffi. Still like the guy but he got the bad end of that one to say the least.

VanCanucks14 is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 03:26 AM
  #54
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post


how about the Bruins on the ice watching the fight, Thornton, Campbell, Ference, and Paille oohing as he watches, tough crew

westernhome is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 07:48 AM
  #55
CamFan81
Derp
 
CamFan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 17,395
vCash: 500
insult to injury, Torres should get at least a game for that hit too.

CamFan81 is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 09:24 AM
  #56
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,017
vCash: 500
If a player is gonna give a cheap shot like that then i have no issue with adam's response. However i disagree when its a clean but big open ice hit and the player who made the hit is forced to fight a guy like Adam.

HockeyGuruPitka is online now  
Old
12-29-2011, 09:36 AM
  #57
FallsForItEveryYear
Registered User
 
FallsForItEveryYear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
If a player is gonna give a cheap shot like that then i have no issue with adam's response. However i disagree when its a clean but big open ice hit and the player who made the hit is forced to fight a guy like Adam.
i tend to agree good clean hits that are hard dont need a response. (although i do enjoy watching a bruins tune up an opposing player no matter the circumstances.) this particular hit deserved the beating though. torres is an unlikable player that has a history of taking runs at people and throw questionable and dirty hits.

i still think the instigator rule is crap though. torres deserved his beating and the refs knew it was a bad hit cause they called him for it i dont think an instigator and 10min was needed in this situation. (although i have no problem them handing it out for a fight after a clean hit.) i just think if the hit was dirty then they should allow a player to pound on the offender without getting the extra 2 and 10min.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
  #58
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
  #59
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
No problem with this beatdown as it was deserved. However, i don't like to see players continue to throw punches when the player is down. For some reason, the Bruins always resort to those types of classless and cheap tactics.

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
  #60
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
No problem with this beatdown as it was deserved. However, i don't like to see players continue to throw punches when the player is down. For some reason, the Bruins always resort to those types of classless and cheap tactics.


Player A with a headshot. Player B gets angry and defends teammate. Throws an extra punch or two at end. Player B is classless and cheap.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
  #61
Kosikarzzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
No problem with this beatdown as it was deserved. However, i don't like to see players continue to throw punches when the player is down. For some reason, the Bruins always resort to those types of classless and cheap tactics.
Really....they aways do that? Every time....every fight? Way to throw a general slanderous statement out there like its a fact. I just think you haven't seen a fight in a while. You become too sensitive watching Hab games. That and you hate the Bruins. It ok...its pretty clear. Next time someone cheap shots one of your players...have mercy. He won't do it again. Is that the Habs way? I think not.

Kosikarzzz is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
  #62
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
Really....they aways do that? Every time....every fight? Way to throw a general slanderous statement out there like its a fact. I just think you haven't seen a fight in a while. You become too sensitive watching Hab games. That and you hate the Bruins. It ok...its pretty clear. Next time someone cheap shots one of your players...have mercy. He won't do it again. Is that the Habs way? I think not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCdntbwO5c

Ferrence throwing punches at Moen after they are on the ice. There are many examples. It just seems as though the Bruins are the perpetrators of this. I'm all for a good punch-up but for god sake respect the code.

I'd like to think Bruins fans would be in agreement with this?? Or is thuggery and unsportsmanlike behaviour something that is innate amongst Beantowners?

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 11:31 AM
  #63
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Ouch, poor Raffi. Still like the guy but he got the bad end of that one to say the least.
He's one of those guys where you love him when he's on your team...but then all is forgotten after your team plays against him a couple times.

I wish the Oilers had more guys like McQuaid. No offense to Eager and Hordichuk but Peckham is probably the only guy that really sees red when something happens to his teammates and throws everything his coach said about "playing disciplined hockey" out the window.

Wheatking is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
  #64
Balk
Healthy Scratch
 
Balk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Realistically, how is McQuaid's response any different from Torres' crime? Both are headshots with intent to injure. It is just we tolerate headshots when it comes to fighting. But don't argue this was both players willing when an instigator is involved. And to all those that hate the instigator, Torres received a penalty on the play.

Balk is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
  #65
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCdntbwO5c

Ferrence throwing punches at Moen after they are on the ice. There are many examples. It just seems as though the Bruins are the perpetrators of this. I'm all for a good punch-up but for god sake respect the code.

I'd like to think Bruins fans would be in agreement with this?? Or is thuggery and unsportsmanlike behaviour something that is innate amongst Beantowners?
Actually, the Bruins obey the code far too often. The Habs are the Habs, and thus get special treatment, as well they should.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
  #66
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Realistically, how is McQuaid's response any different from Torres' crime? Both are headshots with intent to injure. It is just we tolerate headshots when it comes to fighting. But don't argue this was both players willing when an instigator is involved. And to all those that hate the instigator, Torres received a penalty on the play.
Oh *this* lame argument.

With a headshot from a hit you don't (or shouldn't) know what is coming --because you don't assume the other player is going to target your head.

In a fight the opposite is true, Torres could have defended his own head 100% (turtle) but instead he chose to use his energy to try and throw punches / inflict damage back.

The point is that Torres was engaged in a fight willingly while Ference did not willingly expose his head to a cheapshot.

To me this stupid argument (comparing fights to a head-shot hit) is as stupid as comparing a body-check to a knee-check and then saying that there isn't a difference in the hits because it is a contact sport.

Colt.45Orr is online now  
Old
12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
  #67
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Realistically, how is McQuaid's response any different from Torres' crime? Both are headshots with intent to injure. It is just we tolerate headshots when it comes to fighting. But don't argue this was both players willing when an instigator is involved. And to all those that hate the instigator, Torres received a penalty on the play.
I think they aren't that different, but the issue is that the response doesn't usually follow the initial crime. Players like Torres generally get a free pass (sure they get a penalty) but too many times players don't respond like McQuaid did; and sometimes only with pushing or face washing; which ends up getting someone 2 minutes for roughing.

As a Bruin fan, and a hockey fan, I'm content to see 5 v. 5 hockey after that play; it's when there isn't a real response or worse, when there isn't an initial penalty call and the response gets the other team a power play; that is when the instigator rule fails.

If you pull that rule out of the league; it will make guys like Torres a little less likely to run around like they do. It certainly doesn't fix the problem. Claude Lemieux & Ulf Samuelsson, to name a few, had plenty of success before 1992. But in the eyes of most, that type of play was a lot less prevelant than it is today.

SPV is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
  #68
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Actually, the Bruins obey the code far too often. The Habs are the Habs, and thus get special treatment, as well they should.
The Bruins break the code more than any other team. AS i said - i'm all for a good fight but when you punch a guy when he's down you are fall in the category of classless goon. The Bruins fall in this category far too often for my liking.

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
  #69
Baddkarma
Registered User
 
Baddkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Midland TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Realistically, how is McQuaid's response any different from Torres' crime? Both are headshots with intent to injure. It is just we tolerate headshots when it comes to fighting. But don't argue this was both players willing when an instigator is involved. And to all those that hate the instigator, Torres received a penalty on the play.
Good grief.

Baddkarma is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 12:44 PM
  #70
Baddkarma
Registered User
 
Baddkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Midland TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
The Bruins break the code more than any other team. AS i said - i'm all for a good fight but when you punch a guy when he's down you are fall in the category of classless goon. The Bruins fall in this category far too often for my liking.
So how does flopping and embellishment fit into your code? The Habs have no honor because of their well know knack for the "thespian arts", thus the code would not apply to them if they ever happened to engage in what should be an honorable bout.

Baddkarma is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
  #71
Schmautzie
Dave est magané
 
Schmautzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greater Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
The Bruins break the code more than any other team. AS i said - i'm all for a good fight but when you punch a guy when he's down you are fall in the category of classless goon. The Bruins fall in this category far too often for my liking.
Oh stop being so sanctimonious. Torres didn't get benefit of "the code" because of the cheap shot on Ference and for other transgressions that pre-dated this game. Somewhere, Brent Seabrook is probably smiling.

Schmautzie is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
  #72
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
So how does flopping and embellishment fit into your code? The Habs have no honor because of their well know knack for the "thespian arts", thus the code would not apply to them if they ever happened to engage in what should be an honorable bout.
This coming from a fan of a team that has Brad Marchand as a headliner!!

When Marchand suits up for the game he dons his snorkel and fins...

But back to topic in hand. We are talking about hockey fights right?

FanHabtic is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
  #73
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCdntbwO5c

Ferrence throwing punches at Moen after they are on the ice. There are many examples. It just seems as though the Bruins are the perpetrators of this. I'm all for a good punch-up but for god sake respect the code.

I'd like to think Bruins fans would be in agreement with this?? Or is thuggery and unsportsmanlike behaviour something that is innate amongst Beantowners?
Isnt the point of a fight to injure your opponent?

The code is BS created in the early 1990s by enforcers so they could fight 40 times a year without getting injured.

Watch fights from the 1970s, plenty of angry fighting with players hitting each other when down.

The sooner this code BS leaves hockey, the more entertaining it will be.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 01:13 PM
  #74
LoneWolf54
Relocated.
 
LoneWolf54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Huh. Strange. I thought I clicked on the McQuaid vs Torres fight thread but I must have accidently clicked the thread about Ference having a fabricated history of bad hits and whos more classless: Boston or Montreal?

Now where is that McQuaid thread.....

LoneWolf54 is offline  
Old
12-29-2011, 01:14 PM
  #75
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautzie View Post
Oh stop being so sanctimonious. Torres didn't get benefit of "the code" because of the cheap shot on Ference and for other transgressions that pre-dated this game. Somewhere, Brent Seabrook is probably smiling.
And Moen? What was the code-breaking offense that resulted in Ference throwing punches when they were down?

And you call me sanctimonious? You are trying to justify blatant code-breaking offenses by your beloved Bruins! LOL

Oh i forgot, the Bruins are immune to having to play within the code of conduct when it comes to fighting.

FanHabtic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.