HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Who's your provider?

And do you see the KeepMSG ads? (The ones that are pro-MSG anti-TWC)
I have Fios and don't see either sides ads. That's why I'm thinking Verizon is just popping on local ads in their place.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I have Fios and don't see either sides ads. That's why I'm thinking Verizon is just popping on local ads in their place.
Hmm, I wouldn't think they could selectively filter ads. I figured it'd be some setup like:

(Hockey Game)(MSG ad)(MSG ad)(Verizon/TWC/whoever local ad)(MSG ad)(Hockey Game)

But you do see the KeepMSG crap when the announcers are saying it right? They actually incorporated it into the game broadcast.. not just the ads.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Hmm, I wouldn't think they could selectively filter ads. I figured it'd be some setup like:

(Hockey Game)(MSG ad)(MSG ad)(Verizon/TWC/whoever local ad)(MSG ad)(Hockey Game)

But you do see the KeepMSG crap when the announcers are saying it right? They actually incorporated it into the game broadcast.. not just the ads.
Oh yeah. I see the in-game garbage. No way around that. I'm sure there are MSG specific ads everyone sees but I'm thinking the Anti or Pro TWC ads fall under local advertising otherwise I'd be seeing them.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Oh yeah. I see the in-game garbage. No way around that. I'm sure there are MSG specific ads everyone sees but I'm thinking the Anti or Pro TWC ads fall under local advertising otherwise I'd be seeing them.
I am seeing the ads and I'm on FiOS, in Bergen County.... Maybe you are not seeing them based on your region/location? If there aren't Time Warner subscribers in your region/area, that may be the reason you aren't seeing them.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I am seeing the ads and I'm on FiOS, in Bergen County.... Maybe you are not seeing them based on your region/location? If there aren't Time Warner subscribers in your region/area, that may be the reason you aren't seeing them.
you see both MSG's and TWC's ads? Or just MSG's

Old
12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
you see both MSG's and TWC's ads? Or just MSG's
Oh sorry, I didn't realize there were ads made by TWC... I am just seeing MSG's ads about TWC

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Yeah. No TWC here in Rockland County. CV or Fios.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

How the hell can you be forced into buying cable from only one provider based on where you live? I don't comprehend this, aren't there antitrust laws in this country?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Oh sorry, I didn't realize there were ads made by TWC... I am just seeing MSG's ads about TWC
here's twc's ad: http://twcconversations.com/msg/

It sounds like the main dispute here is twc doesn't want to carry msg's ****** music channel Fuse, and msg is trying to strongarm them into paying a lot of $ for some garbage channel as a condition to keep the sports.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Yeah in all seriousness, TWC will not drop MSG...MSG keeps stating by language "Time Warner Cable may drop MSG and MSG+"

In reality the main problem here is MSG and the Dolans..They are requesting a 53% percentage hike in revenue...I hate time warner and I am in a apt building in manhattan too...But thats how this stupid game is being played at the moment.

So annoying

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:47 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

regardless of who's problem it is, it is TWC's purpose to bring you the channels you want. If they're getting dragged over the coals by MSG, then so be it, they drag us over the coals anyway. They can either work it out internally or cut into their profit margins, it concerns me not. They aren't concerned when my income takes a hit. If they try and turn around and pass the extra costs on to the consumer, they get dropped for Fios. Again, their problem, not mine.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
How the hell can you be forced into buying cable from only one provider based on where you live? I don't comprehend this, aren't there antitrust laws in this country?
A lot of apartment buildings in NYC haven't been wired for fiber optic cables yet, so Verizon is not an option. And if you live in a rental or a co-op, you're most likely not able to get approval for a dish.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Yeah in all seriousness, TWC will not drop MSG...MSG keeps stating by language "Time Warner Cable may drop MSG and MSG+"

In reality the main problem here is MSG and the Dolans..They are requesting a 53% percentage hike in revenue...I hate time warner and I am in a apt building in manhattan too...But thats how this stupid game is being played at the moment.

So annoying
Right now, some analysts at TWC are crunching numbers to figure out what's going to cost them more customers:

A) Raising prices to offset the higher cost of MSG
B) Not offering MSG at all

In the end they're going to re-up their relationship with MSG. But by holding out as long as possible, they're going to get a better deal from MSG and minimize the effects of A.

Classic game theory at play between TWC/customers and TWC/MSG.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I have the same issue here in Queens. My apartment building only has Time Warner. They sign some kind of exclusivity deal and TWC gives them some kind of kick-back per apartment. I don't even know how it's legal, since I'm almost positive that FiOS is available in my neighborhood, and the building won't allow them to run lines in.

It sucks, because I had FiOS where I used to live in Queens, and it was far superior service, and cheaper. I don't even get a discount on Time Warner, I think the building management company just takes all the profit they get from their agreement with TWC.
That is actually illegal now in NYC. A lawyer also told me that there was an FCC ruling making it illegal for a building to say you cannot have a satellite dish.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
patnyrnyg

If you are stuck, the answer is a sling box. Totally legal, can get them at Best Buy. Install it at a friend/family member with a different provider, and then you can watch through the internet. Planning to buy one and install at my sister's place (she has fios) if we lose MSG.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:11 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
That is actually illegal now in NYC. A lawyer also told me that there was an FCC ruling making it illegal for a building to say you cannot have a satellite dish.
I did not know this...However, i dont want a big dish outside my apartment ya know lol

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
If you are stuck, the answer is a sling box. Totally legal, can get them at Best Buy. Install it at a friend/family member with a different provider, and then you can watch through the internet. Planning to buy one and install at my sister's place (she has fios) if we lose MSG.
Not to get OT here, but I've been told that Vulkano products are cheaper and better than slingbox. Worth looking into.
http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Right now, some analysts at TWC are crunching numbers to figure out what's going to cost them more customers:

A) Raising prices to offset the higher cost of MSG
B) Not offering MSG at all

In the end they're going to re-up their relationship with MSG. But by holding out as long as possible, they're going to get a better deal from MSG and minimize the effects of A.

Classic game theory at play between TWC/customers and TWC/MSG.
That theory didn't hold true for dish

Old
12-29-2011, 03:53 PM
beerme1

Quote:
In the end they're going to re-up their relationship with MSG. But by holding out as long as possible, they're going to get a better deal
Dont bet on it. We had NFL Network when TW bought Adelphia 8 years ago and then decided to drop that channel. We still dont have it and have endured price hikes from TW too numerous to mention.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Dont bet on it. We had NFL Network when TW bought Adelphia 8 years ago and then decided to drop that channel. We still dont have it and have endured price hikes from TW too numerous to mention.
NFL Network and MSG are two completely different animals in NYC. TWC has 1.2 million subscribers in the NYC area. They'd lose at least a quarter of those within a year if they didn't broadcast Rangers/Knicks/Nets/Devils/Islanders games.

If NFL Network had sole broadcasting rights for the Jets/Giants, you bet TWC would still have it.

Old
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
duffman1183

Just ridiculous that Cablevision ran all the slam-ads claiming that they were "standing up" for their customers during their previous disputes with other channels (like last fall when they ended the deal with Fox) but now that its their channel being pulled, its that Time Warner "doesn't care about their customers". Pathetic.

duffman1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
A lot of apartment buildings in NYC haven't been wired for fiber optic cables yet, so Verizon is not an option. And if you live in a rental or a co-op, you're most likely not able to get approval for a dish.
Yeah we ran into that problem at the house I lived at in my junior year in college. Landlord was a ***** and although Direct Tv would save us literally hundreds of $$$ a year he wouldn't allow the dish.

12-29-2011, 10:26 PM
beerme1

Quote:
NFL Network and MSG are two completely different animals in NYC. TWC has 1.2 million subscribers in the NYC area. They'd lose at least a quarter of those within a year if they didn't broadcast Rangers/Knicks/Nets/Devils/Islanders games.

If NFL Network had sole broadcasting rights for the Jets/Giants, you bet TWC would still have it.
I understand all that. And that makes it all the more confusing to me. I think the NYC issue would have prevented it from ever reaching this moment. But it has and evidently some greedy pig at one compnay is really diiging against another greedy pig at another company.
On the other hand the greedy pigs at TW may feel in their ultimate pig headed way, that people in NYC wont have much choice but to go with them because of line of sight issue etc. I dont know. I dont get it. But I know when I heard the Sabres president say today that after the conference call yesterday at 3pm that he was part of and he does not think a deal will happen I think somebody, I guess MSG has really dug their heels in and may now find themselves without a way out and are just going to see what happens.
It truly sucks for everyone though. And I say this and I will be paying both of them. TW for cable and phone and MSG through DirecTV. But I am not going to miss my Sabres games. Although lately wish I would have been

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'll take the shake-weight commercials over those throat cancer commercials they kept showing a few seasons ago of the guy getting his neck hole swapped, any day of the week!
swabbed? yeah, not enjoyable viewing...but it does get the point across.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:04 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Is this a new law that just went into effect? As far as I'm aware you have been allowed to have a dish of up to 3M in diameter for the past 10+ years...BUT with the caveat that nobody can restrict you as long as the area you place it is under your exclusive control. Basically if you have a private balcony you can't be prevented. However, you can't place it on your rooftop or on the facade of the building without permission. So for most people who live in NYC a dish is not really a doable option. For everyone who has a private balcony facing the South/Southwest there are likely 9 others who are stuck with cable.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote