HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

O/T, Who the hell is this Bobby Granger?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2005, 06:31 PM
  #1
Greg in MA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
O/T, Who the hell is this Bobby Granger?

Living in Boston, it's not the easiest thing to stay up to date with everything going on around the Rags. Last time I lived in NY was 1995. Every once in a while I'm able to watch a game via Comcast's online streaming video (other night against the Blues for example). Usually I end up listening via NHL.com's radio feeds.

I've been seeing/hearing this Bobby Granger fellow lately. Mainly due to his lame *** radio spots (my MAIN MAN Kasparaitis), or the TV spot where he cuts off JD's tie?

Who is this guy? Is he the new mascot? He can't be some random clown because i've seen a banner ad or two on NYR.com of his?

Can somebody please enlighten me?

Greg in MA is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
  #2
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
He's just an actor for the new marketing scheme for MSG network and the Rangers. That's all. And that's not his real name by the way.

Bretzky* is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
  #3
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968
He's just an actor for the new marketing scheme for MSG network and the Rangers. That's all. And that's not his real name by the way.
is he a real fan???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 07:38 PM
  #4
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
He was the consolation prize for losing the Sidney Crosby sweepstakes.

Synergy27 is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
  #5
caldercup0
Registered User
 
caldercup0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
I think he's a real fan...

caldercup0 is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 08:02 PM
  #6
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
I think he is a real fan, I remember reading someone saying he sat near him at a Game and he was going crazy at the ref.

FLYLine24* is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 08:02 PM
  #7
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
He was the consolation prize for losing the Sidney Crosby sweepstakes.
now that is funny!!

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
  #8
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
He was the consolation prize for losing the Sidney Crosby sweepstakes.

polako is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 08:57 PM
  #9
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
My girlfriend, who's a Habs fan, was over at my house a few weeks ago and we were listening to the Rangers game and I'd been telling her about the Bobby Granger commercials. When she finally heard one she thought it was very funny in a ridiculous sort of way, precisely how they're meant to be. The best part is since then she hasn't been able to get the "Bobby Grangis, GUIDE TO THI RANGIS" out of her head! Doesn't really help that every time I speak to her i sing it at least once

Does anyone have any links the commercials? I saw 2 of them at hockeyrodent(one with "stop bleeding on the ice" and the one where Jagr 'teaches' him Czeck), and I really want to see the others.

romba is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 09:03 PM
  #10
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
My girlfriend, who's a Habs fan, was over at my house a few weeks ago and we were listening to the Rangers game and I'd been telling her about the Bobby Granger commercials. When she finally heard one she thought it was very funny in a ridiculous sort of way, precisely how they're meant to be. The best part is since then she hasn't been able to get the "Bobby Grangis, GUIDE TO THI RANGIS" out of her head! Doesn't really help that every time I speak to her i sing it at least once

Does anyone have any links the commercials? I saw 2 of them at hockeyrodent(one with "stop bleeding on the ice" and the one where Jagr 'teaches' him Czeck), and I really want to see the others.
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/fanzon...highlights.asp

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
  #11
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
thanx!!!

romba is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
  #12
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
I mentioned this before, but I ran into him on the subway. It was pretty hilarious

Choice is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 03:28 PM
  #13
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
You would figure that in NY with all the marketing talent around, MSG could do better than this half grunge hockey clown, but then again, it is better than fans holding up life size cardboard cut outs of Knicks players (another Madison Ave., marketing gem).

shoothepuck is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM
  #14
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
You would figure that in NY with all the marketing talent around, MSG could do better than this half grunge hockey clown, but then again, it is better than fans holding up life size cardboard cut outs of Knicks players (another Madison Ave., marketing gem).

yea the gehtto kids. The should have one white one black and one chinese in the commercial to make it fair.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 04:42 PM
  #15
+73*
 
+73*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
although some people seem to get a kick out of him, Bobby Granger is a very weak marketing vehicle and the commercials are apparently targeted at idiots who know nothing about hockey... being a native NY'er who grew up in NYC then NJ with a wealth of superb youth and rec hockey (not to mention, three major market teams in a close circumference), i find it to be assinine.

+73* is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 04:55 PM
  #16
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Like any decent advertising, sustaining a campaign is a hard thing to do. It's clear that Granger is on the downside. The new spot with Granger cutting JDs tie becuase there are no ties in the NHL is insipid at best.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 05:41 PM
  #17
bcrt2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,495
vCash: 500
Granger is a buddy of Rodent's me thinks.

bcrt2000 is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
  #18
NYRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Yeah he posts at HB and Rodent's site. I saw him at a Ranger game too, he's just a normal guy. Seems cool.

NYRangers is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 09:18 PM
  #19
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Beach, NY
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
sat two rows behind me at the wild game. real fan..but seems to be heavily ranger bias when it comes to good calls.

for example he called a obvious penalty a terrible call...so i question his hockey knowledge.

Nich is offline  
Old
12-14-2005, 09:20 AM
  #20
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by +73
although some people seem to get a kick out of him, Bobby Granger is a very weak marketing vehicle and the commercials are apparently targeted at idiots who know nothing about hockey... being a native NY'er who grew up in NYC then NJ with a wealth of superb youth and rec hockey (not to mention, three major market teams in a close circumference), i find it to be assinine.
I agree, but 'idiots' is unfair. The new NHL isnt about the hard core hockey fan.

abev is offline  
Old
12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
  #21
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
The only commercials that I find amusing are the ones where he gets physically abused by Ranger players. I know it's staged and that he's probably not in any actual pain, but seeing the guy get slammed to the ice just makes me feel warm inside.

xander is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.