HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Acquiring a Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
If we get Gleason, I hope we try to keep him over Carle this offseason. He should be cheaper and could be a better fit.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
I have no issue trading Schenn. He can't stay healthy and when playing, has failed to produce! Offensively the Flyers don't really need another forward so IMO the Flyers should move Scheen while he still have value for a younger top end D-man that they need.
Glad we're not rushing to judgement here....

Not saying you never trade Schenn, but if you do, it's to get something really nice, not because he's suffered a couple of freak injuries in his first full year or because he has "failed to produce" in 15, yes 15, NHL games.

Trading a guy like Schenn for Gleason would be an terrible. Trading him in a deal for a Suter, Jack Johnson, etc type player... ok, we can talk about that.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
For the poster on the previous page, I brought up Schenn because that is the type of player the Canes need. They are going to either need to get an unproven player like Schenn (although highly touted), or a legit top line player along the lines of Bobby Ryan. Staal playing with Larose, Ponikarovsky, Tlusty, Bowman, Dalpe etc is just pointless (literally).

I know the Canes would have to pay for Schenn, I am not suggesting the Flyers would let him go for Gleason, I was just bringing it up because a buddy of mine and I were discussing it (he is a Flyers fan).

For the record he said.."Canes can have Schenn, he hasnt done squat".

Old
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
That's just not true. For a guy like Gleason, a pick and a minor prospect will do it. None of those gems you're referring to.
If that was true, every team in the league would be doing it. The Flyers would have done it already weeks ago.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
If we get Gleason, I hope we try to keep him over Carle this offseason. He should be cheaper and could be a better fit.
No matter what. If by chance we do land Gleason I would hope it is for long term and not just a short term rental.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Glad we're not rushing to judgement here....

Not saying you never trade Schenn, but if you do, it's to get something really nice, not because he's suffered a couple of freak injuries in his first full year or because he has "failed to produce" in 15, yes 15, NHL games.

Trading a guy like Schenn for Gleason would be an terrible. Trading him in a deal for a Suter, Jack Johnson, etc type player... ok, we can talk about that.
I agree Schenn should not be traded unless the return is an young top end D-men! (Webber depending on how he recovers) Some people are acting like losing him will distroy this team! I see him as a tradable piece to fix our current and future D issues.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Flyerfan808

Would you go Matt Reat + 2nd for Tim Gleason?

Old
12-29-2011, 04:07 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
No. Gleason is a pending UFA. Read has a great contract and has shown he is a very solid player.

Maybe 2nd + d-prospect.

Old
12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Kaktus*

Gleason would be nice. long term

Old
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Gleason would be nice. long term
really? you would give up Read + crazies for Gleason. I think thats a wash on a team that has defensive depth. We cant replace Pronger so we shouldnt compromise futures for presents. Read has been outstanding. Gleason is good but it doesnt make sense. It's too early to be bold. I'm holdin out hope that pronger just says screw it, if i win another cup its worth bein a vegetable. I'm sorry i lost you didnt i?

Old
12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
For the record he said.."Canes can have Schenn, he hasnt done squat".
It's because he's borderline retarded. That Yakupov hasn't done **** either.

Old
12-29-2011, 05:08 PM
duffy9748

Read will not be traded in a deal for Gleason or any other impending UFA not named Suter. Schenn/Read/Voracek only go in a deal for Suter or Weber.

Old
12-29-2011, 05:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I really dont think the Flyers will trade Read. Not saying the guy is untouchable but he is a good commodity right now. he is a solid bottom 6 guy who can score some goals for you and play pretty well on both sides of the puck.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
really? you would give up Read + crazies for Gleason. I think thats a wash on a team that has defensive depth. We cant replace Pronger so we shouldnt compromise futures for presents. Read has been outstanding. Gleason is good but it doesnt make sense. It's too early to be bold. I'm holdin out hope that pronger just says screw it, if i win another cup its worth bein a vegetable. I'm sorry i lost you didnt i?
Hmm would I give up Read for UFA? Probably not, I would not want to trade 1st either but I am not sure what would be the asking price. I just think Gleason would be nice to have on our team for next 7-8 years. So maybe it's worth Read? I do not know.

I do not think Canes price will be as low as 2nd round pick and a prospect. Would be nice tough

Old
12-29-2011, 06:04 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
If that was true, every team in the league would be doing it. The Flyers would have done it already weeks ago.
Let's say I'm wrong about that low of an estimate on the deal. However far off I am, you're way further off saying Couterier, Read, Schenn, etc. has to go to get Tim Gleason

Old
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Flyerfan808

Since most of us aren't willing to give up a current roster player (which makes sense) what would it take if it were just picks.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
I wouldn't trade Matt Read for Gleason + 2nd

And I'm a fan of Gleason.

Old
12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Since most of us aren't willing to give up a current roster player (which makes sense) what would it take if it were just picks.
Ranford and a second is what I offer.

Old
12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Though I'm really excited about him, I'd maybe give up Gustafsson and a second? I don't know if that would be enough for Gleason though?

Old
12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
bryzgalovsky*

If Matt Read gets traded this team's organization is dumb.

How can people still refuse to see that he's good, just because he started playing a little later than most? All the chances he's had lately that didn't go in because of ridiculous saves...

Old
12-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
If Matt Read gets traded this team's organization is dumb.

How can people still refuse to see that he's good, just because he started playing a little later than most? All the chances he's had lately that didn't go in because of ridiculous saves...

Agreed. Read is one of our most versatile forwards. Can play all situations , winger, center D on PP. But his contract is what makes him really valuable. 900,000 for the next two years is too valuable to give up.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think Read or anyone is going to get traded. If the Flyers make a deal, they have a new bargaining chip they can add to the mix......Bobrovsky. After tonight's game, Bobrovsky's value just went up another notch. I'm thinking if the Flyers are looking for a defenseman, they can now land a big fish using Bobrovsky as bait. If Holmgren plays his cards right, it's possible he could land a real good young defenseman - like Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Victor Hedman good.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's because he's borderline retarded. That Yakupov hasn't done **** either.
I wont argue with you there! He's an idiot and very reactive. Typical Philly guy...lol jk

Old
12-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

So, would you rather hold on to Read or Schenn if you had to pick one?

Old
12-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Prongo
Beer

Both... neither of them are being traded. Especially for who is available from Carolina

Closed Thread