HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Rangers vs. Capitals. 7:30pm. Verizon Center. 12.28.2011

Old
12-29-2011, 07:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm not a stat geek to the point of genius, but I think it's no mere coincidence that the PP failing has led to a severe drop off in Ovechkin's scoring goals. If the PP was humming along at its top 5 pace, he's probably on track for 40-45 goals and a lot more points. The miserable PP might be due to him suffering, and it might be due to a combination, but 20th isn't getting it done.

I mean if they have a marginal improvement in the PP you have to expect that corresponds to not only wins but probably ten or fifteen more points over the course of the season for Ovechkin
I'm not sure if Ovechkin's drop-off is due to a decline in the PP, or a decline in the PP is due to Ovechkin's drop-off.

A chicken-egg situation.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
It's interesting that OVs 2 horrible turnovers on that one PP is glossed over. They both led to SH opportunities.

People can go back and forth about whether OV is back or not but it's clear that OV, and the rest of the team have improving to do. Right now I will settle with back to back solid games that end in a win. It's been awhile.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:15 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm not sure if Ovechkin's drop-off is due to a decline in the PP, or a decline in the PP is due to Ovechkin's drop-off.

A chicken-egg situation.
I think the gradual change of systems to the rule changes after the lockout are also a factor. Perfect example was that AO play with his pass for semin for that goal. Even the D not directly on AO was shading over towards his side like if AO is able to get around the D man directly on him. There was back pressure with a forward also though he was less aggressive as there was another caps player trailing AO. If Semin wasn't there where he was not a whole lot of options for AO other than ringing the puck around the boards or attempt to go wide and not get the pucked stripped by the D on him.

12-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The PP has also changed a bit with the strategy. It used to involve give it to Ovechkin and let him hammer it. then they shaded that, and they setup Green backdoor coming down for the wrister. Then it was a Backstrom, slow it down, feed the slot.

I don't know that the team knows what it wants to be at this point. I think they feel safest with Backstrom running it, but that also runs counter to Ovechkin and Semin who often feel they're the catalyst out there.

I do think it's improving, though it might take time, and it might take a while to figure out who should be where. They're at least moving their feet more, which was a major struggle.

I really have to think and wonder whether when Sergei was here was he the straw the stirred the PP drink, and I think it's struggled since then. While he didn't run it persay, I do think he had a massive influence on how the other younger players played, and helped teach the game enough to work it.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I agree Chimera. I think it could even be more points than that. He had 20 goals alone a few years ago but has been trending downward sharply. I would swear our PP chances has also plummeted. Sure part of the problem is probably Ovi, but our PP did well when he wasn't leading the team in PP goals so... who knows.

Getting our PP sorted out should be a priority to Dalio. I do agree with HSHS who still doesnt like Ovi out for the back minute on the point... no need. Hopefully that tick tack toe passing on the PP we saw will be seen again this season.

Overall we are showing signs of life, Semin Ovi PK maybe even the PP; even tending has been a bit better.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I also think how they do on the PP bleeds into the rest of the performance as well. When Ovechkin's feeling good, his shots are going in, he takes more of them, and he's involved. Two minutes of wretched PP time has killed the flow and momentum of many games.

When he off, he's off, and he's not involved. He's an emotion player, and when he's doing well, he scores in bunches.

It is a chicken and an egg discussion, for sure, but I do think the PP isn't just one player. It's not playing well for ANYONE, and one player shouldn't solve the unit. They have enough talent where Ovechkin could sit out the PP, and you should still have better than 20th overall.

Taking Ovechkin AND Semin out, and you still have an ability to build a five that's better than a lot of the teams who have a better percentage.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

A chicken-egg situation.
It's both. Right now DH could put the ice dancers out there and they'd do just a good/bad a job.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:10 PM
hb11xchamps

Green looked good at Kettler today he should be back in the lineup which should help with the powerplay. On another note Ovechkin was working on blasts from the point at practice today with DH

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:45 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I know everyone saw Nick one time that pass over to Brouwer in front. Without a doubt, our PP needs our best passers to at least continue to attempt passes like that. The onus is on guys like Nick to do his part as a passer. Catching slow passes and then looking around does not work if you want elite passing for goals.

Blasts from the point/screens should be a fall back when passing plays fail. Then we can slow pass all we want, it gets screeners time to get in front; Ovi cant miss the slow pass one timer. I am glad Dale was working with Ovi on point play, obviously something is not working there. I think Ovi isn't getting them on net, he flubs or breaks his twig, or our screeners refuse to get in front of his far too often head hunter shots. He could stand to try some shots low. The shots may be too hot to tip. I would like to see him rotated down to try to finish some nick one timer passes. Just try it, who cares if it may not work. Rip it; try and thread it through cross crease. Not trying isnt working either. Nick may bounce it off the goalie or dman, or once they expect the pass, shoot instead.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-30-2011 at 06:02 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote