HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Malkin comparison..

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2005, 05:37 PM
hockeyfan125

vCash: 500
Malkin comparison..

I figured I would post this here, because no one responded to it in the Prospects board. For those who have seen Jean Beliveau play (on tape, old films, etc), can you watch for Malkin in the WJC coming up?

I recently watched a few old Montreal Canadien games with Beliveau in them, and I have seen Malkin from some RSL highlights, as well as the WJC last year. I think they are so similar it is scary, especially for players almost half a century apart...

Old
12-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Form and Substance

They are graceful in their moves that I'll say, then again I can only rely on second hand information and several tapes to judge that.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:13 AM
The Benchwarmer

Malkin will be better than most people are expecting

Old
12-14-2005, 08:02 AM

Cool thread, for me at least, I'm a huge fan of both players. David Conte made that comparison at Malkins draft. I think that the first things that stands out as similarities is how they skate and their size. Both players seem to swoop around defenseman easily instead of making cutting back and fourth moves. Malkin also accelerates on the glide and passes by players but never seems to stride. Both also make wide turns and use their reach to keep the puck away from defenseman.

Another comparison is their sense and playmaking. Both just seem to be outthinking everyone else on the ice and treat hockey like a chess match. Even before entering the offensive zone, both seem like they are planning an attack. Both also understand time, space and how to lure players to them to open up a linemate. Both also need to play with a give and go player because IMO thats when they're at their best. I've only seen footage of Beliveau and "Boom Boom" but those two seemed like a great mix, even better than Beliveau and YC.

Both are also great stickhandlers but while Malkin is very good he's not in Beliveau's league. IMO only Lemieux can compare to Beliveau when it comes to stickhandling. Malkin is more Sundinish, still very good. I just ordered my Malkin, Magnitogorsk jersey last night but Im hoping that by next year it'll be retro.

Last edited by #66: 12-14-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old
12-14-2005, 12:50 PM
hockeyfan125

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66
Cool thread, for me at least, I'm a huge fan of both players. David Conte made that comparison at Malkins draft. I think that the first things that stands out as similarities is how they skate and their size. Both players seem to swoop around defenseman easily instead of making cutting back and fourth moves. Malkin also accelerates on the glide and passes by players but never seems to stride. Both also make wide turns and use their reach to keep the puck away from defenseman.

Another comparison is their sense and playmaking. Both just seem to be outthinking everyone else on the ice and treat hockey like a chess match. Even before entering the offensive zone, both seem like they are planning an attack. Both also understand time, space and how to lure players to them to open up a linemate. Both also need to play with a give and go player because IMO thats when they're at their best. I've only seen footage of Beliveau and "Boom Boom" but those two seemed like a great mix, even better than Beliveau and YC.

Both are also great stickhandlers but while Malkin is very good he's not in Beliveau's league. IMO only Lemieux can compare to Beliveau when it comes to stickhandling. Malkin is more Sundinish, still very good. I just ordered my Malkin, Magnitogorsk jersey last night but Im hoping that by next year it'll be retro.
Cool, I didn't know that a pro scout made the same comparison as me.

Thanks for the information, I found them to share an uncanny resemblance on the ice.

Old
12-14-2005, 02:06 PM
God Bless Canada

Beliveau is the consensus No. 3 centre of all-time. Sundin and Thornton were both compared to him when they were drafted. Both have had excellent careers filled with brilliant moments, but neither is anywhere near the centre that Beliveau was.

It's always bugged me when scouts compare prospects to all-time greats, or even mention prospects in the same breath as all-time greats. It does nothing but create unfair expectations for the player, and damage the credibility of the scouts.

I define a prospect as a player who is still eligible for the Calder Trophy. Under that definition, Malkin is the best prospect out there, and he's likely the best player of any age outside of the NHL. He's a wonderful combination of size, skill and smarts. Superstardom awaits. But comparisons to Jean Beliveau, or a combination of Joe Thornton and Joe Sakic? Beliveau was a cog of the NHL's greatest dynasty and a shoo-in for the HHOF before his 30th birthday. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
12-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Chili

Pretty early to compare Malkin to anyone, he is still a developping player.

What did impress me though in last year's wjc, the kid doesn't quit. Canada had the game in the bag in the third period and he was still fighting hard and in my opinion was the Russians best forward in that game.

He should have a great future ahead.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
Beliveau is the consensus No. 3 centre of all-time. Sundin and Thornton were both compared to him when they were drafted. Both have had excellent careers filled with brilliant moments, but neither is anywhere near the centre that Beliveau was.

It's always bugged me when scouts compare prospects to all-time greats, or even mention prospects in the same breath as all-time greats. It does nothing but create unfair expectations for the player, and damage the credibility of the scouts.

I define a prospect as a player who is still eligible for the Calder Trophy. Under that definition, Malkin is the best prospect out there, and he's likely the best player of any age outside of the NHL. He's a wonderful combination of size, skill and smarts. Superstardom awaits. But comparisons to Jean Beliveau, or a combination of Joe Thornton and Joe Sakic? Beliveau was a cog of the NHL's greatest dynasty and a shoo-in for the HHOF before his 30th birthday. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Stylistically, he compares to Beliveau. That's all people are hopefully saying.

OTOH, Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux should be off limits to all comparisons.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
Stylistically, he compares to Beliveau. That's all people are hopefully saying.

OTOH, Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux should be off limits to all comparisons.
Right, I don't think anyone is saying that Malkin is going to be a top 10 all time player but more of how he looks on the ice.

Old
12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
hockeyfan125

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada

I was comparing how they played on the ice and looked (skating, etc). Not in how their careers would play out...

Closed Thread