HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Wild @ Preds - ”Seek & Destroy”

Old
12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm more concerned with a team coming into the zone and making one too many passes instead of shooting the puck while we have guys driving to the net. That's more bothersome than anything. Way too many good opportunities squandered by guys trying to be too pretty. We are not skilled enough to make the passes we were making and we don't have guys who can finish even if those passes connect. We need to get pucks to the net with traffic, fight for the garbage and bury those chances.
I kind of keep count on my own statistical category: "missed scoring chances" otherwise known as too many passes. Completely subjective but I count those plays were there should have been a shot taken or if a shot was taken, even if a bad one, it could create a secondary scoring situation because of numbers or positioning of Preds who can corral a rebound....plays were the pass is the wrong play. Fifty-fifty plays, those were a person could reasonably justify the puck carrier to either shoot or pass, don't count in my unofficial statistical count...just because a player passes instead of shoots doesn't count towards "missed scoring chances" . I usually find there are something like 6-10 of those plays each night. That's a problem and has been for several years. Even worse, you can almost predict each time a Pred is going to try and make a pass instead of putting the puck on net.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:12 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I don't know. I just signed on for the first time since last night so this is the first thread I've been through, but it just seems like discussion so far. Differing opinions don't necessarily mean tension.

The day after I have to agree that Suter is still the great defenseman we all know. He is playing very good hockey right now. Every player is going to be frustrated after dropping a couple of poor efforts, and when those efforts result in ten goals against a defenseman who isn't frustrated is a defenseman who doesn't care. Suter has shown his frustration recently. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if it boils over we're in trouble.

If Bourque can string together a few efforts like last night I think Trotz begins to throw him on some higher lines for a few shifts to see what he can do, if anything.

Ellis is impressive so far. He hasn't been tossed around like some of us worried he may be. His shot is pretty good, and deceptively strong. Once he lets the puck fly it is on net almost instantly, even from his wrist shot. He loves to pinch in looking for the back door play on the PP. Suter has had some success this year doing that.

We need to get back to the movement that got our PP so high in the rankings. Had some good chances last night. I think Harding was the biggest reason the team never converted. It helps that Minnesota has the #8 PK in the league. They are very good at pressing the play to the outside, and keeping the puck out of the slot/crease.

Rinne looked great. He was sharp all night. The one goal he allowed was more the defense's fault than his own, and he still nearly got it with his skate. In fact, I thought he had at first, but then I saw the ref point to the net. Even still, it's one of those plays where you can't do a lot to stop it considering the circumstances.

Two points are two points. We gave one up to a team with which we could be fighting for a spot in March, but better to give up the one instead of two.

Hope we get Weber back for the game against the Blues on Friday, but if he is still feeling a bit off let him rest for what will certainly be a physical game. No need to risk further injury if he isn't 100%. Concussions can put a player out of the line up for a long time if they aren't allowed to heal properly, and even if they are you're still never sure.

Keep the positives, work on the negatives. Lace 'em up tomorrow night and work harder.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
predfan98

I was glad to see Pekka back to his usual self..

I agree all the new kids did great. (and blum looked better)

Suter was very focused and driven.

I also don't know what is wrong with the Horny, Fisher, SK line... but Horny is passionate and emotionally on the bench, and SK had some moments..........fisher looks asleep....

It's a good thing all the new kids are doing well with klein and weber out for at least a couple of games.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:02 PM
token grinder

I think one thing we overlook too is that the fisher line at home is the shutdown line. It may be a reason why we seem to see more out of them on the road

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think one thing we overlook too is that the fisher line at home is the shutdown line. It may be a reason why we seem to see more out of them on the road
I think the line just fails miserably lol.. and sucks as a top line. but you have a point.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:18 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
I think the line just fails miserably lol.. and sucks as a top line. but you have a point.
i never called it a top line, and if i did, it was by mistake. it is a very good third line with nd line potential, just as the legwand line is a good 2nd line with flashes of 1st line potential.

because lets not kid ourselves, poile was telling the truth about our top line with colin wilson, top six forward nick spaling and carrer year jordin tootoo

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

There really isn't a top line right now. The Fisher line and the Legwand line are getting similar minutes, and Colin Wilson is getting similar minutes to those six forwards. Tootoo gets fewer, and Smith gets fewer. The fourth line is the only line that gets minutes that fit. About seven games ago it was different. The Fisher line was getting ~20 minutes per night, the Legwand line was getting the next most, and then Wilson was getting close to the Leggy line while Smith and Tootoo were getting somewhere in the 13-15 range depending on special teams that particular game.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Fisher has 12 of his 15 points at home, and Kostitsyn has 8 of his 15 at home, so we're not really seeing more production out of them on the road. That unit just isn't gelling together right now, but you can't really split them up because the Spaling and Legwand lines are working. Maybe strong play form Bourque will help light a fire under the wingers, at least.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Fisher has 12 of his 15 points at home, and Kostitsyn has 8 of his 15 at home, so we're not really seeing more production out of them on the road. That unit just isn't gelling together right now, but you can't really split them up because the Spaling and Legwand lines are working. Maybe strong play form Bourque will help light a fire under the wingers, at least.
Sit SK for a game, put Bourque in his spot, see what happens. Trotz has done crazier.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:52 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Sit SK for a game, put Bourque in his spot, see what happens. Trotz has done crazier.
Nah. Switch Smithson and Fisher for a game.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Nah. Switch Smithson and Fisher for a game.
Can McGrattan win face offs?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:35 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Can McGrattan win face offs?
He can certainly knock some faces off. Does that count?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Ugh, don't remind me. I still have nightmares about Fiddler-Arnott-Dumont.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:45 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Ugh, don't remind me. I still have nightmares about Fiddler-Arnott-Dumont.
what about the tootoo-forsberg-radulov ? and this was at a time when tootoo had no offense.. worse than fiddler

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
what about the tootoo-forsberg-radulov ? and this was at a time when tootoo had no offense.. worse than fiddler
Pretty sure we had injuries, too, though. Besides, you can put almost anyone with Forsberg and Radulov and it's still a line with which the other team has to concern themselves, even Smithson.