HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brewer an healthy scratch

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Are you telling me that edmonton is giving up too much? Comrie isn't going to play for them this year - thus they are pretty much giving up Brewer + Laraque for an upgrade next year of Comrie to Heatley. I think its a pretty fair deal for both sides.
No, I am not saying that at all really. IF Heatley was healthy it would be an intriguing deal for both sides, but I wouldnt give up too much so fast for a guy who tore up his knee and essentially killed someone no more than 6 weeks ago. You basically give up one of your best defenseman, the league's best fourth line banger, and your best trade bait to maybe get Heatley 100% at some point in the future.

Too much risk is all I am saying.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:43 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Are you telling me that edmonton is giving up too much? Comrie isn't going to play for them this year - thus they are pretty much giving up Brewer + Laraque for an upgrade next year of Comrie to Heatley. I think its a pretty fair deal for both sides.
It would be an incredibly ballsy move, that's for sure. Just no way of knowing how Heatley will recover physically or psychologically.

Also, even ignoring whether the value makes sense... I don't think it would be a good move for the Thrashers as an organization. In essense, they'd be turning their back on the guy. I think that would send a bad message to the rest of the players on the team.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Maybe... there's a deal in the works for Heatley. With Heatley, until he starts playing again will always have the risk factor that he'll never recover from killing someone. He could be psychologically scarred for the rest of his life - not to mention he has just had a major injury. Thus, its not out of the question that you could have a Laraque, Brewer + Comrie deal for Heatley. Edmonton isn't going to get Comrie to play for them this season, so upgrading him to Heatley is viable.
Lowe would never do that trade. Giving up a potential 80-90 pt player, the toughest enforcer in the league and a future star dman, for a potential 90-110 pt. player? Lowe laughs it off.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:20 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Taking into account age, talent, market value & salary

Brewer >> Boynton
Comrie >>> Rolston
Laraque> Hilbert & 2nd rounder

No thanks
I'm pretty sure that the 2nd rounder alone would get me Laraque... value-wise ! Maybe Oilers fans thinks he is worth much more but IMO for a stupid-baby-enforcer like Laraque, I wouldn't give a young talent like Hilbert !
You should put Hilbert with Rolston or Boynton and compare them to Brewer or Comrie, but not Hilbert with a 2nd rounder for Laraque, that's a joke !

Old
11-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat
I'm pretty sure that the 2nd rounder alone would get me Laraque... value-wise ! Maybe Oilers fans thinks he is worth much more but IMO for a stupid-baby-enforcer like Laraque, I wouldn't give a young talent like Hilbert !
You should put Hilbert with Rolston or Boynton and compare them to Brewer or Comrie, but not Hilbert with a 2nd rounder for Laraque, that's a joke !
baby-enforcer? Why don't you go get beat down by the same guy over and over, and see if you have the guts to keep going back. Not many people will fight Laraque around the league.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Lowe would never do that trade. Giving up a potential 80-90 pt player, the toughest enforcer in the league and a future star dman, for a potential 90-110 pt. player? Lowe laughs it off.

I don't think that Comrie's value compared to Heatley can be measured in terms of a potential 80-90 pt. player versus a potential 90-110..

Even with this injury, Heatley is worth substantially more than Comrie. And by substantially, I mean possibly Brewer + Laraque.

I think that Comrie + Laraque + Brewer is fair value for Heatley, but that is way too much to risk on an injured player.

Value wise, it's close.

But, it'll still never happen.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
baby-enforcer? Why don't you go get beat down by the same guy over and over, and see if you have the guts to keep going back. Not many people will fight Laraque around the league.

Laraque simply doesn't like to fight all that much. If you look at his career, you don't see many years in which he had a lot of fighting majors. And, no, I don't buy the argument that nobody will fight him because they are scared. Laraque never intiates the way the true enforcers in the league do.

If Laraque gets his act together, I think he can be more of a Jason Wiemer/Valac Varada/Matt Cooke type. A big tough third line winger who plays decent defense, sticks up for teamates, and creates havoc in front of the net.

A useful player for sure, but probably not the "toughest guy in the league" that Oil fans are always claiming.

And, I agree with Havlat. A 2nd rounder for Laraque would be more than fair.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

A useful player for sure, but probably not the "toughest guy in the league" that Oil fans are always claiming.

And, I agree with Havlat. A 2nd rounder for Laraque would be more than fair.
He is the toughest guy in the league according to pretty much
every other enforcer in the league AFAIK, regardless of how we feel about him.

Yep. 2nd rounder is very fair. I'd sign on the dotted line if I wanted to move him

Old
11-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Heatley is still untouchable for Atlanta, it will be stupid to trade him and or acquire him before his legal issues are settled. Besides it will take a lot more than Comrie, Laraque and Brewer it get Heatley. Remember Heatley is a top 10 player in the league at only 22.

However I do expect Comrie to be a big chance of heading to Atlanta especially now that it is confirmed that Marc Savard is out of 10 weeks. I think that Edmonton really wants Coburn as part of the deal but Waddell is a bit hesitant to trading him so soon after drafting him. As a fan I would be very reluctant to see Coburn gone before he even plays a game for the thrashers but if Brewer is being mention as part of the deal and need for scoring in Atlanta, the deal might go ahead.

Note: i'm saying it's Coburn for Brewer and Comrie, other players such as Stefan, possibly Exelby (His name has been mentioned but I doubt that we would lose two defensive jewels in the one deal) and draft picks will be also involved.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Heatley is still untouchable for Atlanta, it will be stupid to trade him and or acquire him before his legal issues are settled. Besides it will take a lot more than Comrie, Laraque and Brewer it get Heatley. Remember Heatley is a top 10 player in the league at only 22.

However I do expect Comrie to be a big chance of heading to Atlanta especially now that it is confirmed that Marc Savard is out of 10 weeks. I think that Edmonton really wants Coburn as part of the deal but Waddell is a bit hesitant to trading him so soon after drafting him. As a fan I would be very reluctant to see Coburn gone before he even plays a game for the thrashers but if Brewer is being mention as part of the deal and need for scoring in Atlanta, the deal might go ahead.

Note: i'm saying it's Coburn for Brewer and Comrie, other players such as Stefan, possibly Exelby (His name has been mentioned but I doubt that we would lose two defensive jewels in the one deal) and draft picks will be also involved.
Would the Thrashers part with Stefan is they want to add a player? If the Thrashers could get Comrie AND Brewer, that'd be great for them.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Would the Thrashers part with Stefan is they want to add a player? If the Thrashers could get Comrie AND Brewer, that'd be great for them.
How, exactly, are the Thrashers going to get Comrie AND Brewer, while only giving up Coburn and MAYBE Stefan?

Ludicrous.

Comrie > Coburn (At this point, you could argue that the value is equal, but Lowe has stated he wants a player that could fit into the top 6 or the top 3 in return. Coburn is what? 18? Not happening. Comrie might get dealt in a multiple-player swap involving Coburn, but I would be very suprised to see them go even-up. Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely IMO.)

Brewer > Stefan
This one is pretty obvious. For the Oilers, this creates more problems than it solves.

Its not even so much about the value, as it is about completely decimating our backline without getting a solid, capable replacement - not to mention nothing back to account for Comrie's 30 goals. Stefan to me is another Isbister. No thanks. Don't want him.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:18 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25319

Interesting....

I've also read some Laraque to Atlanta rumor on the Oils board , is a move in the works ?

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25328

Edmonton did the same thing earlier. Mac bench Isbister for a game, who then came back next game & scored.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:27 PM
pepchew

If I were Edmonton, I'd try to move Comrie and Brewer to San Jose for Marleau and Stuart (these guys are all around the same age and with similar upsdides). Marleau has awesome tallent but does not do well in SJ's system. Stuart has had injury problems but he could be a franchise d-man if he stays healthy. SJ needs a change and Comrie's spunk and skill might ignite them. But, does Brewer bring enough offense to replace Sturart?

Only problems I see are that the teams might not want to do an intraconfrence deal. Moreover, I dislike Edmonton and this deal would benefit them short term and long term.

Forget I mentioned it...

Old
11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Brewer is playing tonight.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
FacelessButcher

Wow Brewer is playing right now guess this was just a big waste of time.
-oops late

Old
11-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
He is the toughest guy in the league according to pretty much
every other enforcer in the league AFAIK, regardless of how we feel about him.

Yep. 2nd rounder is very fair. I'd sign on the dotted line if I wanted to move him
Got a link? Where do you get this information from?

Old
11-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
You would think that you having a thousand posts under your belt you could come up with something with a little more intelligence than that. This isnt the ESPN message boards kid, so either grow up or leave. Obviously you didnt understand my post, so dont make a fool out of yourself any further.

Gotta wonder about a guy who starts a post with "Wowee".
Well , if your going to say something as stupid as a players worth or lack thereof is somehow related to him being sat out for a game or two, dont be surprised if you are thought of as an imbecile & told as much..

Old
11-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Brewer is playing tonight.
I guess his value must just have skyrocketed, according to Bruwinz20.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Well , if your going to say something as stupid as a players worth or lack thereof is somehow related to him being sat out for a game or two, dont be surprised if you are thought of as an imbecile & told as much..
Is this the type of nonsense that is allowed on this board? You obviously misinterpreted, or more likely from your low brow mentality, did not understand that my comment was made in jest. For someone so oblivious to sarcasm it prompts the question of "Who takes care of your very basic daily needs?". My condolences to them, and I hope they are able to prevent the constant flow of drool that comes out of your mouth as you type (probably with one finger no doubt).

Old
11-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Got a link? Where do you get this information from?
Aww. No need to be so snappy. I'm sure if I looked around for a while, I could find numerous quotes from enforcers around the league claiming Georges is the top heavy. If he's not, it's a three-way between him, Brash and probably Worrell. It's a common question they ask when they interview the tough guys. I'm not going to waste my valuable time trying to prove a point that really doesn't mean squat though.

I know, I know...Cairns and Godard.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Is this the type of nonsense that is allowed on this board? You obviously misinterpreted, or more likely from your low brow mentality, did not understand that my comment was made in jest. For someone so oblivious to sarcasm it prompts the question of "Who takes care of your very basic daily needs?". My condolences to them, and I hope they are able to prevent the constant flow of drool that comes out of your mouth as you type (probably with one finger no doubt).
Is this the type of nonsense that is allowed on this board?
In any event , your post is kind of humurous for two reasons.
Firstly you are offended by my response to your idiotic post & respond in an even worse fashion.
Secondly, even someone as neanderthal as you should realize that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. Ipso facto, , you of all people referring to " low brow mentality" is ironic in the extreme.
Now go have mommy change your sheets, little boy.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
How, exactly, are the Thrashers going to get Comrie AND Brewer, while only giving up Coburn and MAYBE Stefan?

Ludicrous.

Comrie > Coburn (At this point, you could argue that the value is equal, but Lowe has stated he wants a player that could fit into the top 6 or the top 3 in return. Coburn is what? 18? Not happening. Comrie might get dealt in a multiple-player swap involving Coburn, but I would be very suprised to see them go even-up. Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely IMO.)

Brewer > Stefan
This one is pretty obvious. For the Oilers, this creates more problems than it solves.

Its not even so much about the value, as it is about completely decimating our backline without getting a solid, capable replacement - not to mention nothing back to account for Comrie's 30 goals. Stefan to me is another Isbister. No thanks. Don't want him.
I never said that it would be Coburn and Stefan for Comrie and Brewer. All I said that it could happen in the same trade package and obviously Atlanta needs to add more to make the deal work, prehaps a first round pick.

Coburn is worth more than Comrie as Comrie is not work a top 10 pick in this years draft (maybe mid to late first round). Coburn>Comrie.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Coburn is worth more than Comrie as Comrie is not work a top 10 pick in this years draft (maybe mid to late first round). Coburn>Comrie.
None of the draft-day deals I heard were strictly Comrie for a top 10 pick.. they involved more players from both sides getting moved. I think it is a pretty rash statement to say Coburn > Comrie.. you may not like Comrie but he has scored 30 goals in the league. I hate to sound redundant but Coburn could easily turn into another Adam Bennett. Never heard of him? Exactly..

Closed Thread