HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ehrhoff has arrived

Old
12-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogretzky View Post
Showing that $4 mil/year contract really is indeed a steal. Maybe he best game as a Sabre tonight. 5 straight games with 27+ minutes. Couldn't be more impressed.
he played a great game. he's not perfect but he's very good

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:18 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoal[/quote
I do have to admit that he is earning his $4M much more than Regehr.
Good Lord

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Kruschiki

I've liked him lately.

Classic moment last night was when he came back to intercept a pass in the defensive zone that could have been a break-way or 2-0, then proceeds to turn the puck over at the blue line.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:06 AM
sk8haggard9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
I do have to admit that he is earning his $4M much more than Regehr. For this team to turn into a conference leader, we need both of them to step up into leaders.

Regehr is driving me nuts at a -5 and really a non-factor.
A -5 that plays the opponents toughest offensive assignments, usually starts in the d-zone, and has had a rotating door of partners all year. Imo the dude has been our best defenseman this season.

You and a couple WGR listeners have been complaining about his lack of points and skewed plus/minus. If you really want to go by the plus/minus stat, Gragnani has been the BEST Buffalo Sabre this season......

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:07 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
The Hoff is heating up.

And at that cap hit, it was never a bad signing, just a matter of time before it starts working out...

And once they set up a PP unit that has another shooter apart from Ehrhoff, maybe teams won't be cheating to his side and crowding the lane.
Has McNabb gotten any powerplay time? He would an an interesting fit opposite Ehrhoff, since he tends to keep it simple.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Has McNabb gotten any powerplay time? He would an an interesting fit opposite Ehrhoff, since he tends to keep it simple.
pretty sure he saw some in the 3rd last night. forgot with who though. i wanna say Sekera.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Bure80

This videos shows 1 reason why Ehrhoff dont have more goals till now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYiz_8AUDWQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYBu...eature=related

Ehrhoff scored near all his goals when he shoots from the right side or the middle on the PP.
I dont understand why Ruff let him play on the left side.

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure80 View Post
This videos shows 1 reason why Ehrhoff dont have more goals till now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYiz_8AUDWQ

Ehrhoff scored near all his goals when he shoots from the right side or the middle on the PP.
I dont understand why Ruff let him play on the left side.
Ehrhoff is on the right side. Gragnani plays the left at ES and on the PP. There have been a few times when they've rotated around and he's wound up off to the left, but that's rare.

12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Bure80

I dont saw all games but most times when i watched games Pommenville was paired with Ehrhoff on the PP.
Pommenville played right Ehrhoff left.

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure80 View Post
I dont saw all games but most times when i watched games Pommenville was paired with Ehrhoff on the PP.
Pommenville played right Ehrhoff left.
You must have only been watching the last couple games because we've been only using 4 forwards on the powerplay a few games ago

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
A -5 that plays the opponents toughest offensive assignments, usually starts in the d-zone, and has had a rotating door of partners all year. Imo the dude has been our best defenseman this season.

You and a couple WGR listeners have been complaining about his lack of points and skewed plus/minus. If you really want to go by the plus/minus stat, Gragnani has been the BEST Buffalo Sabre this season......
Regehr has been slowed down since his injury and is not playing the top minutes lately. Ehrhoff has taken over and done a superb job for us. Nothing against Regehr at all, he's obviously playing hurt and hopefully he can get healthy once we start getting some other guys back.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
HiddenInLight

I think roy is also playing the point with Ehrhoff as well.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Christian Ehrhoff can’t hide from the obvious. Thirty-five games into his 10-year, $40 million contract from the Buffalo Sabres, some of the defenseman’s stats are pretty underwhelming, even downright bad.

He’s a team-worst minus-11, an incredible 39 notches below the gaudy rating he averaged the last two seasons in Vancouver. With his first goal in 14 games Monday and just his third overall, he’s on pace for seven. He tallied 14 in each of the past two seasons.

“The stats are not there where most people expected,” Ehrhoff acknowledged Tuesday inside the Northtown Center after the Sabres prepared for tonight’s tilt in New Jersey against the Devils. “I don’t really judge myself on my stats.

“But, for me, it’s about trying to play consistent, too. I think I’ve been better at that lately.”

So far, Ehrhoff’s a disappointment, no doubt. Only one NHL player — the Rangers’ Brad Richards, at $12 million — is earning more than the $10 million Ehrhoff’s receiving this season.

Judging the 29-year-old solely on numbers could be foolish, though
Quote:
Plus-minus can be deceiving. Defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani’s a plus-11, seven ahead of his closest teammate. Yet a series of ill-timed gaffes and some erratic play has made the rookie a healthy scratch three straight games. Ehrhoff, despite his awful rating, is skating a team-high 24:01 each night.

“I’m not happy with the plus-minus rating. For sure, I’d like to have some more goals,” said Ehrhoff, who’s a minus-7 this month. “All I can do is try to shoot the puck and play a solid game and hopefully it’ll be a little better in the stats (department).”
Quote:
Ehrhoff enjoys the extra minutes, saying it allows him to get on a roll. The nights, which few defensemen can handle, have yielded mixed results, however.

“There are some players that are capable of playing big minutes and playing well,” Ruff said. “You look at (former Sabres defenseman) Brian Campbell. Once he got up and running, when he plays big minutes, he plays well. There’s a couple other defensemen around the league that have to skate almost every other shift.

“I think in our case, when Myers went out, we ramped up. There’s some games I really liked. There’s some I thought the minutes were too much.”
Quote:
But why are the goals down?

Teams have focused on Ehrhoff’s wicked shot, which probably ranks among the league’s five or 10 best. He’s had trouble blasting power-play one-timers from the point.
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...eep-for-Sabres

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
He has indeed arrived. I've loved his game the past few weeks. Occassional gaf, but mostly makes smart plays and is very quick with his decisions.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Samsonite23

That goal he scored on monday was a snipe. He's deadly from that spot on the ice.

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Maximrules

Can't remember the last time we had a d-man who could just fire away from the point and was fearless. i also love how he's not a wuss, i.e. sticking up for miller when he was hit a week ago or so. just got an ehrhoff jersey for christmas, love the guy.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Not one mention how he was on the #2 PP unit for most of the year because Ruff is dumb. That will hurt his numbers for sure.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
MyersMagic57*

I've loved the Ehrhoff signing so far. Though he has a low +/-, I think thats a bad way to judge him. He is still on pace for 40+ points this season and is playing top minutes every night

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
Can't remember the last time we had a d-man who could just fire away from the point and was fearless.
You must not have been around when Zhitnik was a Sabre - like Ehrhoff, he had no qualms about shooting the puck from the point whenever he could. Zhitnik's problem was that he only hit the net about 5% of the time, compared to the safety netting, glass, players' heads or anywhere else but on goal.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

he's not bad at all, I don't know if his play of late is worthy of glowing praise. but whatever. I'm still kind of nervous when he's out there, I just don't know when he's going to do something completely illogical. Lately he has been reliable, but man...there were some plays this season that have still got my faith in Ehrhoff rattled. If he keeps playing like this those wounds will heal.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:38 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
he's not bad at all, I don't know if his play of late is worthy of glowing praise. but whatever. I'm still kind of nervous when he's out there, I just don't know when he's going to do something completely illogical. Lately he has been reliable, but man...there were some plays this season that have still got my faith in Ehrhoff rattled. If he keeps playing like this those wounds will heal.
Agree with all of this. He's been very good offensively lately and hasn't had any glaring defensive gaffes. Eventually some of those may come back into his game because it just happens eventually because of slumps, bad luck, better competition, etc. But over the past week or two i've liked his play a lot.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:26 AM
thebigbea

looks like most fans like the guy.. liked him in vancouver but i guess playing with the sedins gave him more pts..

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote