HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella for the Adams

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  #101
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,001
vCash: 500
Torts doesn't play Avery. Screw him.



Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
  #102
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,520
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If the team doesn't suddenly drop off, agreed.

The defense, guys like Hagelin stepping up, that's all coaching.
Agreed. As is keeping this team in the tops in the East with a patchwork defense of guys like Woywitka, Stralman and Bickel. I mean seriously. These are guys that didn't even make it as a #7 defenseman on teams and we're using them as a #3-6 and being one of the best teams in the East! Somethings got to be said for that!

The way the team brought these players in Stralman wasn't signed and rushed into a game, neither was Woywitka. They learned the system in practice, worked on their conditioning, were tested in games, sent back to practice, held out for more conditioning, that's just smart coaching.

Rupp said he doesn't agree with being held out until your 100% coming back from injury, well guess what, this coach waits and its working. Wolski too, Staal, Sauer,...healthy players stay healthy because this team gives 150% because that's what this coach demands.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
  #103
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Has it occurred to you that he hasn't changed at all and whats actually happened is that people have begun to see him as a real person thanks to 24/7 and are realizing that he's not just the childish caricature that they always assumed him to be? I don't think he's gone from an a-hole to a positive person - people have just realized that he's a real human and that stupid labels like "a-hole" don't accurately sum up his personality.

Aside from that, personality change isn't why people are talking him up, its because the team that he runs is playing incredible hockey.

Lastly, it's really ironic that you're talking about other people judging him positively based on personality traits rather than performance while at the very same time you're harping on his personality and the parts of it that you don't like instead of giving him credit for running a very successful hockey team. The record doesn't lie. He's coaching this team very, very well and no amount of soft, mopey pessimism changes that.
I have never said he is no good. He knows what he is doing. I just hate everything about him except the Rangers current standings. That I like.
If he didn't change, what has changed then? I can see Lundqvist playing unreal. I can see Biron performance 93 goals on 14 shots) against WAS has written off all that good team defense that Rangers showed yesterday. If Rangers were on par with re-surging best-of-the-East yet lost, what is his "system" value? It is hanging on goalie. Why? because with Lundqvist in net we would have won. Coincidentally we had exact same system in place, same goaltenders and team was no good. If Torts hasn't changed and his coaching is the same, then the only thing that matters is goaltending. That has changed dramatically since last season. Buy I think Torts has mellowed too. That in combination made the team better. I love that, but I do not like Torts who wasted a few seasons prior.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
  #104
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,595
vCash: 500
Tortorella has absolutely mellowed. I don't know if he's less grumpy because he's in less pain from his surgeries or if MSG told him that he needs to fix his issues because that's not how they want a coach of one of their teams acting, but he is definitely more mellow.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
  #105
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I have never said he is no good. He knows what he is doing. I just hate everything about him except the Rangers current standings. That I like.
If he didn't change, what has changed then? I can see Lundqvist playing unreal. I can see Biron performance 93 goals on 14 shots) against WAS has written off all that good team defense that Rangers showed yesterday. If Rangers were on par with re-surging best-of-the-East yet lost, what is his "system" value? It is hanging on goalie. Why? because with Lundqvist in net we would have won. Coincidentally we had exact same system in place, same goaltenders and team was no good. If Torts hasn't changed and his coaching is the same, then the only thing that matters is goaltending. That has changed dramatically since last season. Buy I think Torts has mellowed too. That in combination made the team better. I love that, but I do not like Torts who wasted a few seasons prior.
So just out of mere curiousity, what is it about Torts that you hate?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
  #106
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I have never said he is no good. He knows what he is doing. I just hate everything about him except the Rangers current standings. That I like.
If he didn't change, what has changed then? I can see Lundqvist playing unreal. I can see Biron performance 93 goals on 14 shots) against WAS has written off all that good team defense that Rangers showed yesterday. If Rangers were on par with re-surging best-of-the-East yet lost, what is his "system" value? It is hanging on goalie. Why? because with Lundqvist in net we would have won. Coincidentally we had exact same system in place, same goaltenders and team was no good. If Torts hasn't changed and his coaching is the same, then the only thing that matters is goaltending. That has changed dramatically since last season. Buy I think Torts has mellowed too. That in combination made the team better. I love that, but I do not like Torts who wasted a few seasons prior.
Personally, I think Tortorella's system has stayed the same, but it hasn't. Everything is a result of the players he has to work with. In all honesty, I can barely remember what kind of game this team was playing 3 years ago. I can tell you that Tortorella had less to work with, both in terms of versatility and in terms of overall skill.

Last year, his system started out very much like what we're seeing this year. With all the injuries, he tightened up the game and made the team play a more conservative game. Even as the team got healthier, he kept to the conservative style to shelter his rookie 2nd pair and shaky 3rd pair a little bit. I said before this year that Tortorella is going to play the same basic system he employed last year, but he's going to allow them to open the offense up a bit more because he has more to work with (Richards, a 2nd year Stepan, a 3rd year Anisimov) and that's what we've seen happen.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:19 PM
  #107
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Tortorella has absolutely mellowed. I don't know if he's less grumpy because he's in less pain from his surgeries or if MSG told him that he needs to fix his issues because that's not how they want a coach of one of their teams acting, but he is definitely more mellow.
I thought he had a coughlin-esque turnaround last year which is when I started supporting him. They say start firm and soften later if you come out soft you cant go disciplinarian later on. Bigges tthing to me last year was the development of our young guys and thats continued to be the biggest thing to me this year even more so than the winning because the development of players and their willingness to be a part of the system begets the success. 94now seriously why does it seem like you are the most illogical person on every single subject?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:18 AM
  #108
kovazub94
Enigmatic
 
kovazub94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I have never said he is no good. He knows what he is doing. I just hate everything about him except the Rangers current standings. That I like.
If he didn't change, what has changed then? I can see Lundqvist playing unreal. I can see Biron performance 93 goals on 14 shots) against WAS has written off all that good team defense that Rangers showed yesterday. If Rangers were on par with re-surging best-of-the-East yet lost, what is his "system" value? It is hanging on goalie. Why? because with Lundqvist in net we would have won. Coincidentally we had exact same system in place, same goaltenders and team was no good. If Torts hasn't changed and his coaching is the same, then the only thing that matters is goaltending. That has changed dramatically since last season. Buy I think Torts has mellowed too. That in combination made the team better. I love that, but I do not like Torts who wasted a few seasons prior.
Really? Your "analysis" is based on a sample of one game that had let down written all over it after playing Devs, Flyers & Isles four games in a row in 6 nights?

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:26 PM
  #109
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Really? Your "analysis" is based on a sample of one game that had let down written all over it after playing Devs, Flyers & Isles four games in a row in 6 nights?
It wasn't letdown. The team played well as they did during the 5 games prior. Goalie selection is on Torts. He didn't want to win as bad
as usual letting fellow coach off the hook with this one (Hunter's predecessor was fired after a loss to us). That only proves that entire string hangs on Hank.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:31 PM
  #110
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Personally, I think Tortorella's system has stayed the same, but it hasn't. Everything is a result of the players he has to work with. In all honesty, I can barely remember what kind of game this team was playing 3 years ago. I can tell you that Tortorella had less to work with, both in terms of versatility and in terms of overall skill.

Last year, his system started out very much like what we're seeing this year. With all the injuries, he tightened up the game and made the team play a more conservative game. Even as the team got healthier, he kept to the conservative style to shelter his rookie 2nd pair and shaky 3rd pair a little bit. I said before this year that Tortorella is going to play the same basic system he employed last year, but he's going to allow them to open the offense up a bit more because he has more to work with (Richards, a 2nd year Stepan, a 3rd year Anisimov) and that's what we've seen happen.
I agree with your take. With one exception, though. Replace "injuries" with "unremarkable goaltending" and I will sign it. This season injuries are by far worse.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  #111
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 819
vCash: 1187
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610212

Torts was announced to be one of the coaches. What are the chances he makes head coach? I'd say pretty good.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
  #112
Blueblood9
Registered User
 
Blueblood9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
After watching 24/7 i have come to the conlusion that Torts is the guy i want running this team and no one else. He has his finger on the pulse of this team and knows how to motivate them.

In turn this team has belief in thier coach and has bought in. He seems to have changed from what i remember of him from TB. he doesnt seem to be as angry or scream as much. He seems to be more even keel but screams when needed.

Blueblood9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
  #113
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,303
vCash: 50
#1 reason why Torts is a good coach... no one wants to put in a bad period because they'll get torn apart lol

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
  #114
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
#1 reason why Torts is a good coach... no one wants to put in a bad period because they'll get torn apart lol
also nobody wants to break the overhead projector.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
  #115
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree with your take. With one exception, though. Replace "injuries" with "unremarkable goaltending" and I will sign it. This season injuries are by far worse.
11 shutout is anything but unremarkable.

And I'll take injuries to what has proven to be an area of strength this season vs. injuries to what was an area of weakness last season.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:54 PM
  #116
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
#1 reason why Torts is a good coach... no one wants to put in a bad period because they'll get torn apart lol
It's not so much that they'll get torn apart, it's that they'll sit and won't play... None of the players feel complacent.... They know they have to earn their playing time.... I like how he rewards players & different lines independent of their 'status'....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
  #117
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 819
vCash: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It's not so much that they'll get torn apart, it's that they'll sit and won't play... None of the players feel complacent.... They know they have to earn their playing time.... I like how he rewards players & different lines independent of their 'status'....
And that's the way it should be. That was a HUGE gripe of mine with Renney. No matter how every one was playing, it always seemed the higher payed guys almost always got the time. Even if they didn't deserve it.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
  #118
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Grats to Torts on making the All Star team

Was a huge fan from him the day we got him, and he's a huge reason why we are #1 in the league right now.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
  #119
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Wish he can coach the Knicks.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:52 PM
  #120
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,142
vCash: 500
He gets my vote.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
  #121
NYRantLftyC19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
In the post-game last night, Torts, when talking about Feds, said that he HAS to hit because Wolski is ready to go and waiting to play. I'm sure its true of all the bottom 6 guys- you have a bad game and you will definetly sit the next game. They all know, so we get the most out of our players that way. Torts is a great coach in terms of accountability and responsibility, and has more to work with now in terms of depth.

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:49 PM
  #122
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
just saw on the NHL ch. that Torts is an ASG coach

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.