HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #38: Kings @ Jets, 12/29/11, Post Game OT LOSS thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-30-2011, 04:16 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
We win as a team and we lose as a team. There's really no need to single out anyone for our loss imo.

Heck, we got 3 out of 4 pts, and held 2 of the most potent offensive teams to total of 1 goal.

Yeah, our pp and offense needs help, but let's give Sutter a little time.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:30 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Can't wait till Penner and Stoll are gone next season. If we don't add any wingers at the deadline we are in a world of ****. We might be better off missing the playoffs altogether, get a better draft pick and go for Parise in the off season. That's how bad it's gotten for me, I can't even go with the anything can happen in the playoffs excuse. These wingers are SO garbage it's not possible for me to honestly entertain playoff success. Might as well tank and come back stronger next year, i've had enough middle of the road junk.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:12 AM
MollerManor

Kings need 2 scoring wingers and a new power play coach. Then I think we are golden.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:40 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

If the Kings even had a competent PP, the offense might look a lot better.

Still, 3pts on back to back is always good.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

How come some of you are so predictable ? Its embarassing.

At least follow the same course. If the Kings win (yesterday) than this team is great and if they loose (OT loss) than they completely suck again. Its laughable.

Some of you should become reporters, they also act like that.

I'm satisfied with the point.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:01 AM
SFKingshomer

Doubt a forward would help that much. We need a more offensive system and more from the players we have. There are teams that do more with less talent...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

8 out of ten points since DS got here is truly great. The team has responded and is playing great hockey most of the time. It will take some time for him to install any changes to our overall system but so far so good. JB had a great game imo and really stood out to me after such a long lay off. His almost robotic fundamentals are really special and his foot speed when moving laterally is elite. He makes it look easy when he is on because of it.

The team looked like a team to me. If we can keep up this pace or even close to it i like our chances. Replacing Richardson up front with another speed winger who has much better O skills would do wonders for us. Richardson has shown me that he can skate and could develop into a descent two way winger down the line but he still has a way to go.

I think we are coming together top to bottom but still need a new PP coach and a speed sniper but I have been banging that drum since squid and Molson left. We don't have one on our team or in our system so that to me is our major need. I have been out watching prospects and coming draftee's and there are players out there available who could be good fits.

I like out team when it plays like it has been and think that 3 games in 4 nights is truly insane, coming up with as many points as we have is just exceptional to me under those circumstances.

GO KINGS!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
stonedhenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Doubt a forward would help that much. We need a more offensive system and more from the players we have. There are teams that do more with less talent...
I agree. I feel it will probably take at least couple of seasons till this team recovers from Murray's brainwashing. I also blame DL because he supported (perhaps still is) such unbalanced system for so long. Sutter please start with hours and hours of practicing transition offense.

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:27 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
Lowest scoring team of all time?
Nope. Not yet anyways. The Lightning one year had like 151 goals in an 82 game season. We are vying to be one of the worst though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Trevor Lewis has 1 point in 28 games this season, and Brad Richardson has 3 points in 28 games, yet these two play top 6 roles on our team. And we wonder why we can't score?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Trevor Lewis is complete garbage. It blows my mind that he gets paid to play professional hockey as a forward and can't score goals. I literally can't remember the last goal he scored. Was it in 2009?
Agreed. I also agreed with this several games back when everyone was clamouring for Richardson and lewis (especially Lewis) to get a shot on the top two lines. Lewis had four points in five games apparently one time and somehow that was supposed to overshadow the fact he has four career goals. Just because players can skate decent, suddenly they become the latest shiny new toy. Half this board has ADHD I swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
BACK to BACK on the ROAD in fact 3rd game in 4th night w/ lots of travel in between ... and we get 3 pts out of 4 on the road / 5 pts out of 6 last 3 games ... I can't be too upset.
Will be fun playing Winnipeg more often next year

oh BTW ... we're back in 8th !!! PLAYOFFS BABY !
This. While I am disappointed we didn't get a win considering all we needed was a frickin goal in 60 minutes, we still netted three points on a back to back aginst two of the hottest teams in the elague and didn't allow a signle regulation goal. Plus Bernier continues to look better and better and this game will only help that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I love having a nice young player in A-Mart sitting in the press box instead of being shopped to bring back a nice forward
Who says we aren't? It's not the most common time of year to see trades done. Maybe there just aren't any deals worth taking at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
1 point isn't bad, but it's never good to lose to teams like the thrashers when so many others are beating them.

Btw, those "thrashers" are one of the hottest teams in the league right now and sitting 6th in the East with virtually the same record as us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The Kings team shooting percentage is an abysmal 6.9%, the lowest in the league. The only team under 7%.

That means opposing goalies are AVERAGING a .931 SV% against us.
That is truly a freaky stat. What's the league average?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That draft setup Boston's future for the next few years. The last time the Kings hit homeruns in a draft like that was the 1980 draft.
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1980/picksla.htm

They ended up with Larry Murphy, Jim Fox, Steve Bozek, and Bernie Nicholls.
Are you referring to the homeruns for Boston being just Lucic and Marchand? If so, LA's hit like that since 1980. 83 (Galley, Stevens) 88 (Gelinas, Blake) 90 (Sydor, Lang) 97 (Jokinen, Corvo) 2000 (Frolov, Visnovsky) and 2005 (Kopitar, Quick) for sure. If you meant something else, my apologizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What I would do for the Kings to acquire Brett Connolly from Tampa Bay. They can have Bernier and a defenseman of their choice not named Doughty.
So Bernier and Johnson for Connolly? Stop watching the WJC already!

Connolly will be alright, but he's a 20-25 goal guy I bet for his career. He's not Heatley or Stamkos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Nothing out there to trade for that won't cost too much. I hope Lombardi doesn't ruin our strong point to save his job or please the fans. Semin isn't the answer and Parise will stay in the East.
I'd give Semin a try if the price was decent. Stoll and pick for Semin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Fire the coach
We did that. Do you mean fire Kompon? Because firing Darryl would be pretty dumb. Offense or not, we are 3-0-2 under him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Penner is worthless, not helping out on that goal WPG scored. Jets were all over the net, and Willie couldn't hold em all off. So Penner was skating around the top of the circle waiting for the puck to come to him, when he needed to go help on D.

Got a point, but goddammit Penner...
Penner had a good game I thought. Had a great tip in front of Mason in I think the second and nearly got the rebound. If he had, we'd likely have a 1-0 win and he'd be the hero.

Penner's been bad, but he's not the main problem with this team. He played good last night from what I seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post

At least follow the same course. If the Kings win (yesterday) than this team is great and if they loose (OT loss) than they completely suck again. Its laughable.

Agreed. If we had scored a goal in regulation, this team would be the greatest thing since sliced bread and all the talk would be about how awesome the defense has been to allow zero goals in 120 minutes+. Instead, the team sucks, let's trade Johnson and Bernier for a kid whose lighting up the WJC and we should just tank to get a good pick.

Everyone should just chill out. We have 8 points in five games under Sutter and are moving up. I've been one of the biggest critics of the fact our offense scores less than a 19-year-old in Belgium but we should be looking at the positives here. 8 out of 10 points under Sutter, with all of one practice to work with. Give him a chance to impliment his system before we screw for a rebuild while we call DL a witch and toss him into a river with a boulder tied to his feet.

Chill out.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
I agree. I feel it will probably take at least couple of seasons till this team recovers from Murray's brainwashing. I also blame DL because he supported (perhaps still is) such unbalanced system for so long. Sutter please start with hours and hours of practicing transition offense.
A couple of seasons? Teams don't take 2 or more years to rebound from a coach. Does it take you two years to make changes when a new boss comes in?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Please do not confuse effort with results. This is his 6th year and he has not developed a single 20 goal scorer. That is most definitely dropping the ball. His wing acquisitions have pretty much all been busts as well. Just because he went out and traded/signed former 30 goal scorers, does not mean that he has done a bang up job. At some point these acquisitions have to perform and pan out.

He has done a solid job with the goaltending and defense, but as we continue to see, there is more to hockey than just keeping the other team from scoring. Last I checked no team ever won a 0-0 game.
So, in your world, people AREN'T responsible for their own actions?

Williams, who scored 20 last year, isn't responsible for his lack of production this year, Lombardi is.

Penner who scored 25+ goals in Edmonton, isn't responsible for his lack of production, Lombardi is.

Listen to yourself bud...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:54 AM
tomd

9 goals in 5 games under Sutter (and 4 of those came against horrible goaltending by JLB). Maybe it isn't the coach after all. Kings will have to continue to play perfect defense and get extraordinary goaltending the rest of the way to make playoffs. The offense is what it is.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post

Williams, who scored 20 last year, isn't responsible for his lack of production this year, Lombardi is.

Penner who scored 25+ goals in Edmonton, isn't responsible for his lack of production, Lombardi is.

You just have no credibility if you don't hold DL accountable for anything.

The Williams trade was a good one...the Williams contract extension looks like a disaster at this point.

The Penner trade was terrible...

Old
12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post

Agreed, the lack of production from proven scorers (you can add Gagne to that mix) is what is killing this team. Penner and Williams should be playing well in our top six and they aren't. That could not be foreseen by Lombardi. If they were even matching their career averages the Kings would be in the thick of the race for the Western Conference #1 seed. As it is I guess we'll just have to settle for a run at the Pacific Division title.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
And I'm guessing he'll go the way of Azevedo, Kozun and Vey once he hits Manchester.

Not that I've given up on them, it's just that their point totals don't exactly match expectations after lighting it up in the CHL.
No, Toffoli has a great shot and killer instinct. He will light it up at the AHL level and get great stats and people will think he is the next Robitaille. Then he will crush hopes when he can't transition to the NHL. His lack of size or skating will mean he will be a marginal player at the NHL level, coach protected second liner who is weak 5v5 but scores some pp goals, but ultimately is marginalized by inability to get or create opportunities

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:03 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Agreed, the lack of production from proven scorers (you can add Gagne to that mix) is what is killing this team. Penner and Williams should be playing well in our top six and they aren't. That could not be foreseen by Lombardi. If they were even matching their career averages the Kings would be in the thick of the race for the Western Conference #1 seed. As it is I guess we'll just have to settle for a run at the Pacific Division title.
Sorry to say but it is looking more and more certain that Gagne, Williams, and Penner are done as effective NHL players. It happens.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post

Kompon?
I heard Kompon stars in the District 9 sequel and he's the only survivor at the end, not even a scratch. It's hard to take this organization seriously when they talk about accountability with Kompon still employed, Johnson literally the human anchor, guys like Lewis showing nothing at the NHL level yet given quality minutes night in and night out. The positives I have seen are the Kings are more entertaining to watch, they are attacking the net more but they just have too many players still not producing points. Lombardi has a lot of work to do (speaking of accountability how many bad forwards can one GM bring in before he gets fired?).

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:34 PM
DaAnimal

I am still pretty happy about the 1 pt. JB was stellar, given that he hasnt started in awhile. 1st period I thought we were kinda bad. We definitely picked it up in the 2nd. Looking forward to Vancouver

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Our PP needs to be check for post concussion symptoms.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post

You do have some valid points here. But nothing is more laughable than the 5 on 3 pp. Even the part of Three Amigos where they gave El Guapo the sweater wasn't as funny.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:44 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
That is truly a freaky stat. What's the league average?
Most teams have a shooting percentage over 9%. Contending teams have a shooting percentage over 10%.

So that means goaltenders playing against the Rangers/Flyers/Bruins/Blackhawks/Canucks have a .89X SV% on average. While goaltenders playing against the Kings average a .93X SV%.

Playing against the Kings is a great way for opposing goalies to pad their stats.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Nope. Not yet anyways. The Lightning one year had like 151 goals in an 82 game season. We are vying to be one of the worst though.
Wow. They weren't a playoff team that year, right? I can see squeaking into the playoffs and getting the all time, never to be broken record for fewest goals by a playoff team.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
You just have no credibility if you don't hold DL accountable for anything.

The Williams trade was a good one...the Williams contract extension looks like a disaster at this point.

The Penner trade was terrible...
At the very least, hold him accountable for what HE CAN CONTROL ffs, you absolutely can not hold him accountable for acquiring players that WERE PRODUCING at the time of his acquiring them....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Duc620

Team Mind Set? Changing, check.
Mini road trip? 3 out 4 points, check.
Goalies? Great, great tandem, check.
No practice? Coach working the team during games, check.
Back 2 back? Tired legs that still stopped best 1st period team in NHL, check.

3 out of 4 points. 3 out of 4 points. 3 out of 4 points. Rinse and repeat.
I like being underdogs. Something special is growing in the Pacific.

GO KINGS GO

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
SFKingshomer

There have been some good changes under Sutter. They're hungrier for the puck and they move the puck and make decisions quicker which helps their team speed.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote