HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers; assigned to AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I can agree with this reasoning 100%

But please, don't insult my intelligence by trying to sell me a bill of goods where eithe ror both Mitchell ro Rupp are better players than Avery.

Cap considerations, yes, Avery goes I agree.

Ability to help a team actually win games? There's a list 3 players deep before you get to Avery and one could argue that Boyle could make that list 4 players deep.
I agree Avery is just as good or better than Rupp, Mitchell.............but we agree its a cap move

Do you honestly think Avery will be claimed on waivers ? Does that not say what the rest of the league thinks of the guy.........Fair or not

Old
12-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

We all knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when. WW in the WC?

Old
12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Countdown to main board *****apalooza...? Surprised it's not there yet.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
nyrleetch

Torts gets himself a late christmas present.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:31 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
Agreed, this is all abouot salary, and the fact that Torts hates the guy.
As far as trying to convince me that Boyle, Rupp, EC, Mitchell bring more to the table only leads me to believe you live on this site and don't actually watch any of the games. all around poor decision by management, but I guess we will have to move on and accept that it's all about Torts and not the team!
Agreed, people need to stop defending the people who do **** for this team.

What has Rupp done so far? That ranks up in there in the list of great overpayments of 4th liners... Brashear, Boogaard (RIP, but your contract was horrible),

LMFAO at anyone trying to convince people that Christensen does something. HAHAHAH, these are the same people that used to KILL Marcel Hossa on a nightly basis on these boards, and now they're going to stick up for a guy who's just as bad in Christensen?

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

And I love the Boyle can't do anything wrong because he's young and affordable and has a little potential bit. Tired of the fanboy ********. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:31 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Prust? He's an average 4th liner who can fight. Talk to me when he scores 15 goals or 40 points in a season.

Wolski? When does he bring anything? He floats constantly and doesn't know what the word defense means. Also plays like he's 5'6 when he's 6'3.

Mitchell is a borderline NHL'er that's playing over his head right now.

Avery has as many goals as Dubinsky in 20 less games.

Boyle? Boyle is ****ing garbage this season. I don't ever want to hear anyone supporting his play. Boyle forgot what conditioning and skating in the offseason are, and came back SLOWER and less physical than last season, and it's shown so far. What did he do, drink all summer?

This is a joke.
Talk to me when Avery isn't past his prime and can score 40 points in a season, and bring what Prust brings.

Oh wait, he can't.

Then you bring up points...tell me when Avery touches Wolski's 65 points.

Mitchell has provided more to this roster than Avery has this year.

Avery is also 20 times weaker a player than Dubi is. Nobody brings up Dubi's assists, either- guess what? Avery has ZERO.

Boyle is 5 times the defensive forward Avery is.

The only joke here is that there's a cult here that thinks Avery is STILL RELEVANT.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I agree Avery is just as good or better than Rupp, Mitchell.............but we agree its a cap move

Do you honestly think Avery will be claimed on waivers ? Does that not say what the rest of the league thinks of the guy.........Fair or not
He may get claimed this time around.

He handled the first waiver situation with class. When down helped the Whale. Got called up, played hard. contributed to a few wins. Got scratched and scratched again and has handled that with class as well.

If it's a hockey decision, he gets claimed cause he can help a few teams out there. If it's not a hockey decision, then you have to look at what has to be considered his most trying season in the NHL to date even with the overblown sloppy seconds statement issue.

He's been a model citizen this season for the Rangers, if teams have taken notice, I can see him getting claimed.

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Anyway i'm done before the entire Avery brigade comes in here. Just going to say Avery is done and isn't essential to this roster so a move like this shouldn't garner a 10 page thread, but it will.

Old
MAYO

Torts, the same guy who said that HBO would be a distraction yet he gets his swagger on anytime the cameras are on him! He preaches accountable 24/7, well Torts, I think you deserve the press box after this move!

Old
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

They won't claim him because of possible locker room issues that may pop up because of him. That's obviously not the case here since he's good friends with a lot of the guys on the team. I always thought the no one claiming him thing was stupid since this is one of those cases where he could contribute to the Rangers positively and yet no one still would claim him. Teams not claiming him has nothing to do with his on ice play and everything to do with their worry about what may happen off the ice.

12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Torts, the same guy who said that HBO would be a distraction yet he gets his swagger on anytime the cameras are on him! He preaches accountable 24/7, well Torts, I think you deserve the press box after this move!
What? Are you talking about the yelling? Torts has always been known that way. That's the type of coach he is. It seems to work.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
sorry, but Mitchell is a borderline AHL'er. Rupp is also not a player that can provide a team more than what Avery provides.

Your disdain for Avery is showing.

Aside from Boyle's season last year, he's also borderline better.
Rupp is an experienced veteran and hits and he's big. We need guys like him in the playoffs. Mitchell is a borderline AHLer yes. However, he's done absolutely great with his time here (minus a few mistakes). Just like Avery. Except Mitchell is much cheaper.
Boyle PKs and does a dam good job. I don't particularly like him this year, but he's doing most of what he needs to do right.

People who debate Dubi being more valuable I just laugh at.

Sean's time with this club is over. EC is likely to be next. There's only so many roster spots on our club and somebody has to go. Avery's cap hit certainly doesn't help.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Anyway i'm done before the entire Avery brigade comes in here. Just going to say Avery is done and isn't essential to this roster so a move like this shouldn't garner a 10 page thread, but it will.
yea ur right, everyone is going to snap and the convo will keep going. Truth is he could help but they have a ton of other 4th line bodies that are cheaper

Old
12-30-2011, 11:37 AM
MAYO

Hey BlueshirtBlitz, before you go, I am still waiting for you to answer my question!! How the h*** can you say the guys I mentioned before are more deserving than Avery to play?!?! That is what fuels us Avery supporters, not that he's being waived, but that he's being waived unfairly!!! From day one of training camp he's proved he deserves a roster spot unlike Boyle who's getting ice time based on last years numbers, Rupp looks like he's skating in quick sand, Mitchell has had his time and needs to go back down, EC I'm not even convinced will make the top two lines in the AHL, and WW will be back on IRL before Feb.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

Mitchell has played outstanding barring a few mistakes. The Dubi-Boyle-Mitchell line has been able to pin teams deep in their zone for minutes at a time. Prust does all the dirty work for the team and has balls of steel.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

One of the biggest Avery guys, was mad when he was cut, wanted him back and was pissed when his ice time was cut. Yet, we all knew this was coming, the guy was scratched 9 straight games. There is no room for him. Id rather have EC waived then him, but whatever, its bs that EC ever sees the light of day again with WW coming back now too. Unless we have a whole bunch of injuries again, I think Avery's time is done. Hey were in 1st place, im not gonna cry about a winger who plays 5-7 mins a game.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

$10,473 daily cap hit. Save's $1,036,824 be season's end. Gotta like that.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
frankthefrowner

EC hasnt played in forever himself, but he doesnt cost anything. Avery however does, so he gets the heave ho.

Who cares really? i get it people look at him fondly from when he came here during the Jagr softee years. Well times have changed has a team we are tough, our toughness no longer relies on Sean. I liked him in his time here but im ok with not seeing him again.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Talk to me when Avery isn't past his prime and can score 40 points in a season, and bring what Prust brings.

Oh wait, he can't.

Mitchell has provided more to this roster than Avery has this year.

Avery is also 20 times weaker a player than Dubi is. Nobody brings up Dubi's assists, either- guess what? Avery has ZERO.

Boyle is 5 times the defensive forward Avery is.

The only joke here is that there's a cult here that thinks Avery is STILL RELEVANT.
Given the same minutes as Prust adn Boyle, Avery outscores both easily.

Mitchell has played well this season, but please don;t think he's anything more than a borderline AHL'er.

20 times weaker than Dubinsky? lol, you're a funny guy. I think Dubi is a better player, but this statement is so full of crap.

With the amount of defensively responsible players this team has, Boyle needs to start producing at the othe rend of the ice.

And I'll say it. Boyle is overrated defensively. He's got a long wing span that allows him to get his stick in the way of shots and passes, but he's not physical and for all the improvement in his skating, he's still very slow.

Rupp? Rupp will help thsi team down the stretch, but again, he's not a better player than Avery.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
we all knew avery was getting sent down.. victim of the salary cap.. with ww coming back and staal in the near future we need the cap space

Old
12-30-2011, 11:43 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I don't know why some people wanted this done after the WC. Torts was not going to play him in that game. Non-issue.

I was and am a big fan of Avery's because of what he has done on the ice in a Rangers sweater. The team has forged an identity without him and is competing for 1st in the division and conference. I think he could have helped this team given the chance but Torts didn't and the team continues to play well. Whether we could use his depth later in the season remains to be seen but Torts was never going to make Avery a part of the solution. Time to move on.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Hey BlueshirtBlitz, before you go, I am still waiting for you to answer my question!! How the h*** can you say the guys I mentioned before are more deserving than Avery to play?!?! That is what fuels us Avery supporters, not that he's being waived, but that he's being waived unfairly!!! From day one of training camp he's proved he deserves a roster spot unlike Boyle who's getting ice time based on last years numbers, Rupp looks like he's skating in quick sand, Mitchell has had his time and needs to go back down, EC I'm not even convinced will make the top two lines in the AHL, and WW will be back on IRL before Feb.
I forgot Hockey is a game of adding goals to your stat sheet. I always thought it was about having a great defensive game, being a great PKer, and grinding, as well ad adding points. Boyle has 2 goals, Avery has 3. Other than that, explain to me why Avery should be on the ice rather than Boyle?

Old
12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Wolski can't even touch his 65 points. He hasn't done anything with us.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Not a huge Avery supporter but he brings energy when needed.
I may have waited until after tonight's game and inserted him if we needed an injection of a pulse for the WC. I would hope we wouldn't need that but we may.

We may also need it after the WC and all the cameras are gone. WC hangover? Maybe.
He's not the same player he was but it could bring a spark.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I can answer this pretty simply. Boyle and EC are capable of playing special teams, particularly Boyle on the PK, which Avery can not. EC adds shootout skill, which Avery does not. Rupp might not be the best skater, but there are no shifts where the guy is invisible, unlike with Avery, and provides an experienced voice in the locker room. Mitchell, also, is rarely invisible and provides puck control along the boards.

So, all of these players provide things that Avery doesn't and I actually like Sean Avery a lot.

And as with BlueshirtBlitz, after this post I'm done here. We've been through this.

Closed Thread