HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers; assigned to AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

vCash: 500
And if people wanna play the salary cap game, shouldnt the same be said for WW if he doesnt produce. You cant leave that hit up for over a month if he does nothing, hes already soft.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
$10,473 daily cap hit. Save's $1,036,824 be season's end. Gotta like that.
yep if everyone wants a 2nd line LW rental you can see why it had to be done

Old
12-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
And if people wanna play the salary cap game, shouldnt the same be said for WW if he doesnt produce. You cant leave that hit up for over a month if he does nothing, hes already soft.
the guy will get a chance now and if he fails he's gone by the deadline

Old
12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Ya he has been such a bad person here, has not helped the team at all and the coach gave him a fair shot LMFAO. Ya time to move on my fkin ass. Hey atleast Hagelin is someone i enjoy to watch who better stay in the fkin the lineup.
Is it really worth being upset about or losing sleep over? He was a goner this summer anyway.... The real 'core' of this team remains in tact and no addition or subtraction of any bottom 6 forward is going to make or break this team...

Old
12-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
He has the potential to be a top 6 forward. I'd take that over a 4th liner who we have no need for.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:51 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I forgot Hockey is a game of adding goals to your stat sheet. I always thought it was about having a great defensive game, being a great PKer, and grinding, as well ad adding points. Boyle has 2 goals, Avery has 3. Other than that, explain to me why Avery should be on the ice rather than Boyle?
Because we have a boat load of guys that are better than Boyle defensively and are quicker on the PK making them more useful than Boyle.

Avery actually playes BIGGER than his size whereas Boyle plays like he's Avery's size.

Boyle has 2 goals and 6 assists in 35 games
Avery has 3 goals and 0 assists in 15 games all the while playing less minutes.

Boyle has an OK defensive game. Not Great. It's OK at best.

Boyle still skates like he's standing in place and rarely punishes the defence on the forecheck

Avery is faster, hits more oftem, hits harder, is better goal scorer, is better passer.

The only edge Boyle has is defensive and as mentioned, we have a boat load of guys I would entrust on the PK before Boyle.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:52 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I understand that this is more about salary than anything else, but holy crappola, can they send Erik Christensen with him?

Old
12-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
the guy will get a chance now and if he fails he's gone by the deadline
Yeah, so there's really not a problem with this. It all comes down to feelings for Avery that makes this such a big debate.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Giacomin

What is ironic is that I was speaking to my supplier of WC Jerseys this morning and he told me that after Lundqvist,Cally,Gaborik and Richards, Avery,s WC jersey is the next top seller.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:58 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Because we have a boat load of guys that are better than Boyle defensively and are quicker on the PK making them more useful than Boyle.

Avery actually playes BIGGER than his size whereas Boyle plays like he's Avery's size.

Boyle has 2 goals and 6 assists in 35 games
Avery has 3 goals and 0 assists in 15 games all the while playing less minutes.

Boyle has an OK defensive game. Not Great. It's OK at best.

Boyle still skates like he's standing in place and rarely punishes the defence on the forecheck

Avery is faster, hits more oftem, hits harder, is better goal scorer, is better passer.

The only edge Boyle has is defensive and as mentioned, we have a boat load of guys I would entrust on the PK before Boyle.
You left out that Avery stinks in the defensive zone and doesn't add to our Center depth because he doesn't play Center...

Rangers PK ranked 7th in the league... Boyle averages 1:44 per game on the PK.... Only forwards who average more time per game are Cally & Dubi.... Who are these "boat loads of players" who should be on the PK ahead of Boyle? Whose big frame and long reach blocks a lot of shots and disrupts passing lanes????

Old
Glennsoe
Horndog

Can't see anyone taking him now, which is a shame cause he's still a damn good player..

Old
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
WW wasn't healthy at the start of the season... He'll get a shot now to be that scoring winger we desperately need.
When and if he fails... He's waived and claimed or rots in the AHL for half a season and then when it's July, Sather has 4.5M (plus Averys cash) to spend how he sees fit.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Talk to me when Avery isn't past his prime and can score 40 points in a season, and bring what Prust brings.

Oh wait, he can't.
Since when does 31 qualify as "past prime?"

Quote:
Then you bring up points...tell me when Avery touches Wolski's 65 points.
Wolski scored 65 points 2 seasons ago, and hasn't done **** since.

In fact, despite Wolski getting far more ice time last year (Avery playing 4th line minutes, Wolski playing top-6 minutes) Wolski scored only a whopping 11 more points than the talentless past prime Sean Avery.

That was a great example to use man, you really helped prove your point.

Quote:
Mitchell has provided more to this roster than Avery has this year.
Mitchell has done what since being broken up from Hagelin? Nothing.

He's a career AHL'er who had his 15 seconds in the sun when he was riding Carl Hagelin's coattails. Other than that, he's been nothing special. He controls the puck along the boards with Dubinsky and Boyle, but do they ever score? No, all that work for nothing, and Mitchell isn't great defensively either, and is as slow as ****.

Quote:
Avery is also 20 times weaker a player than Dubi is. Nobody brings up Dubi's assists, either- guess what? Avery has ZERO.
Avery is 5'10 185 pounds, Dubinsky is 6'1-6'2 and 215 pounds. You're really going to bring up strength with that disparity in size? That's like saying "HAY GUISE, WHO IZ STRONGUR? CHARA OR FLEURY? GEE GUISE, I DON'T KNOWZ, FLEURY LOLZ?"

Quote:
Boyle is 5 times the defensive forward Avery is.
That's definitely not the case. If that was, Boyle would be a Selke caliber player, and I hope to god you're not implying that. If so, watch Kesler, M. Richards, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg more often.

Quote:
The only joke here is that there's a cult here that thinks Avery is STILL RELEVANT.
Gee, I don't know, some cult called the numbers says that when Avery is in the lineup, the Rangers win. Look at the records with him, and without him since he joined the Rangers.

I think I'll go with the stat that says the Rangers are a better team with him in the lineup.

What's even more sad is the fact that you were once apart of that cult. EVERYONE, and don't even try to deny that you didn't LOVE Avery for the longest time. Now, it's so easy to turn your back on the guy, right?

Last edited by The Amity Affliction: 12-30-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old
12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Hope Philly doesnt claim him.....

Old
12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
MAYO

Wolfgaze, the only reason why Boyle gets so much time on the PK is because he's too slow to get to the bench for a change on the fly! It just kills me, even the coaching staff was saying that we lost to the Caps because they beat us at our own game, which was the physical aspect of it. This guy can still provide some energy and forcheck, but I get the whole salary cap bull... I say if he clears, he's back up by Feb.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:03 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Torts seems to disagree with you and it seems to be working. Outside of EC, Boyle is currently the #1 face-off guy on the team at 51.6 and has taken the 2nd most on the team.

Additionally he averages over 2 hits a game. They may not "be as hard" but they still do their job at wearing down the opposition.

Avery used to be one of my favorite players, but the lack of logic on HF sometimes is mind "bottleing".

12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I can answer this pretty simply. Boyle and EC are capable of playing special teams, particularly Boyle on the PK, which Avery can not. EC adds shootout skill, which Avery does not. Rupp might not be the best skater, but there are no shifts where the guy is invisible, unlike with Avery, and provides an experienced voice in the locker room. Mitchell, also, is rarely invisible and provides puck control along the boards.

So, all of these players provide things that Avery doesn't and I actually like Sean Avery a lot.

And as with BlueshirtBlitz, after this post I'm done here. We've been through this.
LOL at Christensen being a capable special teams player. His 1 power play point this year is menacing. His 6 power play points as a Ranger has really set the world on fire. Guy doesn't even score in the shootout anymore.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Hope Philly doesnt claim him.....
Sarcasm?

Why on earth would Philly let off a hand grenade in their locker room by bringing in a player that half their roster hates? Hartnell? Simmonds? Think Laviolette would want to manage that crap? They can't stand the guy... Not happening...

Old
12-30-2011, 12:08 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

It's like many here got individually brainwashed by Avery.

I honestly don't really care he was waived. I would much rather EC gone if I had a choice, but that's besides the point.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
Wolfgaze, the only reason why Boyle gets so much time on the PK is because he's too slow to get to the bench for a change on the fly! It just kills me, even the coaching staff was saying that we lost to the Caps because they beat us at our own game, which was the physical aspect of it. This guy can still provide some energy and forcheck, but I get the whole salary cap bull... I say if he clears, he's back up by Feb.
You are living in 2008.... Last couple years Avery has been on the receiving end of more heavy hits than he's doled out.... Those plays where he waits until the defensemen gets too close to him in the neutral zone before shipping the puck in and getting hammered against the glass trying to skate around and by the defensemen...

Old
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sarcasm?

Why on earth would Philly let off a hand grenade in their locker room by bringing in a player that half their roster hates? Hartnell? Simmonds? Think Laviolette would want to manage that crap? They can't stand the guy... Not happening...
would become the storyline of the winter classic...not saying I think it would happen, but it would be nuts

Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
And if people wanna play the salary cap game, shouldnt the same be said for WW if he doesnt produce.
Obviously.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:10 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
LOL at Christensen being a capable special teams player. His 1 power play point this year is menacing. His 6 power play points as a Ranger has really set the world on fire. Guy doesn't even score in the shootout anymore.
LMFAO, I stepped back and laughed at that too.

Now that's a funny joke.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

In the NY Post, Larry Brooks writes that Avery may play the rest of the season in the KHL and NOT with the Whale in the AHL.

Brooks also writes that Glen Sather gave Avery’s agent permission to speak to other GM’s to try and find a spot for Avery.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:12 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I forgot Hockey is a game of adding goals to your stat sheet. I always thought it was about having a great defensive game, being a great PKer, and grinding, as well ad adding points. Boyle has 2 goals, Avery has 3. Other than that, explain to me why Avery should be on the ice rather than Boyle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You left out that Avery stinks in the defensive zone and doesn't add to our Center depth because he doesn't play Center...

Rangers PK ranked 7th in the league... Boyle averages 1:44 per game on the PK.... Only forwards who average more time per game are Cally & Dubi.... Who are these "boat loads of players" who should be on the PK ahead of Boyle? Whose big frame and long reach blocks a lot of shots and disrupts passing lanes????
I think giving the edge on the defensive side of the puck to Boyle, who I think is medicore defensively, would indicate what I think of Avery's game in that regards.

I think it's better than some insinuate, but not to the point where I would argue it.

As for the forwards I would entrust on the PK before Boyle?

Stepan, Dubinski, Callahan, Anisimov, Prust, Hagelin. I would even put Gaborik out there before Boyle, but that's for a totally different reason.

Those 6 guys are all faster, they are ALL WILLING TO BLOCK SHOTS and five of the 6 all provide an element that Boyle will never have. Offensive talent. And because Prust is faster, he will always be more of a threat offensively than Boyle.

Closed Thread