HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #38: Kings @ Jets, 12/29/11, Post Game OT LOSS thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Hey, the Kings are up to 10th in shots per game. Shots = offense, right?

Do people really think that Lewis and Richardson are the problems with the Kings? They are out there to forecheck and get turnovers and they are performing in their roles.

Kopitar, Gagne, Penner, Williams, Doughty and Johnson, these are the players that are responsible for the Kings 30th ranked offense.

Kopitar = no goals in 17 games
Gagne = no goals in 17 games
Penner = 2 goals in 27 games
Williams = 2 goals in 29 games
Doughty = 2 goals in 33 games
Johnson = no goals in 13 games, 1 goal in 24 games

Brown and Richards have been the most consistent goal scorers. Until the above 6 players pick up their scoring, the Kings will remain at the bottom of the offensive standings.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Do people really think that Lewis and Richardson are the problems with the Kings? They are out there to forecheck and get turnovers and they are performing in their roles.

Kopitar, Gagne, Penner, Williams, Doughty and Johnson, these are the players that are responsible for the Kings 30th ranked offense.

Brown and Richards have been the most consistent goal scorers. Until the above 6 players pick up their scoring, the Kings will remain at the bottom of the offensive standings.

Ding ding ding ding WINNNNAAAAAAA.

Penner/Williams/Gagne/Stoll imo are the biggest problems on this team. For the amount we are paying them they are doing jack squat.

Doughty, Johnson, well you honestly don't expect defensemen to carry the offensive load...and while Kopitar hasn't been scoring, he has racked up quite a few assists which means he has still been involved in the offensive plays.

But Penner, Williams, Stoll, and Gagne have been absolutely worthless and a major reason this team is struggling.

Penner, Williams are former 30 goal scorers, Stoll 20, and a 50 point scorer, Gagne a former 30 and 40 goal scorer.

Murray is gone guys, can't blame him anymore....

Richardson/Lewis/Hunter/Clifford/Fraser....they are what they are, they aren't going to carry the offense either, nor will Loktionov.

But those 4 guys are key fixtures in this team. And they are failing. Plain and simple.

As it currently stands this team has one line of effective players, that being Kopitar, Richards, Brown. The core is functioning, the supporting cast is garbage.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Defgarden

The goals will come. Patience.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
The goals will come. Patience.
Hey bud, I like your optimism, but it's almost January. We are 3 games away from the half way point of the season. And this team is dead last in offense.

If you foresee a turnaround in that number with zero personnel changes, expect to be disappointed.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Up to the second, the projections have Dallas and Nashville both finishing with 93 points, Dallas eking out the #7 slot on the games won tiebreaker, and the Kings finishing #9 with 91 points.

So, on the playoffs watch, the Kings need 52 points in the remaining 44 games to finish #7 - a record of 26-18, a percentage of .591

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:22 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Up to the second, the projections have Dallas and Nashville both finishing with 93 points, Dallas eking out the #7 slot on the games won tiebreaker, and the Kings finishing #9 with 91 points.

So, on the playoffs watch, the Kings need 52 points in the remaining 44 games to finish #7 - a record of 26-18, a percentage of .591
That's not bad considering OT losses.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:28 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Oh, and for those of you mocking people for not feeling like the team is in the thick of the race for the Pacific title...

San Jose is projected to win the Pacific and the #3 spot with 101 points. So, to push them out of that spot, the Kings need 60 points in the final 44 games, a record of 30-14, a points percentage of .682. There's your reality check.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:35 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:

You nailed it Sydor. This is our main problem. Man I didn't realize Kopi hasn't scored in 17 games!

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
You nailed it Sydor. This is our main problem. Man I didn't realize Kopi hasn't scored in 17 games!
It seems like 1 King player will step up and contribute each game so far under Sutter. The problem is it's only one player. Still time for changes, I'm hopeful Lombardi can package some roster players for players that can excel under Sutter's regime.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:13 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
Wow. They weren't a playoff team that year, right? I can see squeaking into the playoffs and getting the all time, never to be broken record for fewest goals by a playoff team.
No, they weren't. Finished dead last, drafted Lecavalier.

http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/hockey....php?year=1997

151 in 82 games = 1.84 goals per game.

Currently, we are on pace for 177 goals, scoring 2.16 goals per game. That said, our past 17 games, we have score two or fewer goals 16 times, and have scored a total of just 28 goals. That equates to 1.65 goals per game. If we maitain the pace we've scored at the past 17 games for the rest of the regular season and combine that with the 82 goals we have scored so far, we'll finish with 155 goals.

If we had score at the 1.65 goals per game pace the entire season, we'd have finsihed the year with 135 goals. That's two more than the 133 goals the Chicago Blackhawks scored in the mid-50's which is the current standard for fewest goals in a season, but that was done in a 70 game season.

Scary thought, but we could conceiveably finish as the worst scoring team in NHL history for an 80+ game season. Doubtful, but the way this team is scoring, not out of the realm of possibility.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Most teams have a shooting percentage over 9%. Contending teams have a shooting percentage over 10%.

So that means goaltenders playing against the Rangers/Flyers/Bruins/Blackhawks/Canucks have a .89X SV% on average. While goaltenders playing against the Kings average a .93X SV%.

Playing against the Kings is a great way for opposing goalies to pad their stats.
Do you have a total for shots by Kings players this season? If we were shooting at say 9%, so still slightly below average, how many goals would we have right now?

Old
12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Do you have a total for shots by Kings players this season? If we were shooting at say 9%, so still slightly below average, how many goals would we have right now?
Kings have 1,182 shots so far and 79 goals. At 9%, they would have 106 goals, or 2.79 G/G (12th overall).

And I'm not sure where you got the 2.16 goals per game, but the Kings are at 2.08 right now. 79 goals in 38 games.

Are you adding in the shootout goals that don't count?

Old
12-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Jonathan Bernier stopped 26 of 27 shots. Bernier has allowed a total of seven goals in his last four starts. The Kings have scored a total of two goals in Bernier’s last three starts.
That is just sad. Poor Bernier.

Old
12-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Hey bud, I like your optimism, but it's almost January. We are 3 games away from the half way point of the season. And this team is dead last in offense.

If you foresee a turnaround in that number with zero personnel changes, expect to be disappointed.
If I expect to be disappointed, then any suprises should be well recieved!

Besides, there's not much else to do really other than be optimistic. We've seen darker days than this. Kings will win the division! Happy pills for everyone!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
kingsdarkness

The goals will come, Kopitar has his chances. Williams has his chances, now they just need the confidence. Penner just needs to shoot 10 times a game and one will eventually go in.
My problem with Penner is not his scoring or anything, it's that every time he touches the puck and gets pushed he rolls over on the ice..
One game I remember him skating to the puck in the corner and he falls... (w/o being touched, it looked like he just flopped, in my head i said that's Dustin for us.)
He was once a very good skater and scorer now he isn't either (Y)

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Nope. Not yet anyways. The Lightning one year had like 151 goals in an 82 game season. We are vying to be one of the worst though.

Agreed. I also agreed with this several games back when everyone was clamouring for Richardson and lewis (especially Lewis) to get a shot on the top two lines. Lewis had four points in five games apparently one time and somehow that was supposed to overshadow the fact he has four career goals. Just because players can skate decent, suddenly they become the latest shiny new toy. Half this board has ADHD I swear.

This. While I am disappointed we didn't get a win considering all we needed was a frickin goal in 60 minutes, we still netted three points on a back to back aginst two of the hottest teams in the elague and didn't allow a signle regulation goal. Plus Bernier continues to look better and better and this game will only help that.

Who says we aren't? It's not the most common time of year to see trades done. Maybe there just aren't any deals worth taking at the moment.

Btw, those "thrashers" are one of the hottest teams in the league right now and sitting 6th in the East with virtually the same record as us.

That is truly a freaky stat. What's the league average?

Are you referring to the homeruns for Boston being just Lucic and Marchand? If so, LA's hit like that since 1980. 83 (Galley, Stevens) 88 (Gelinas, Blake) 90 (Sydor, Lang) 97 (Jokinen, Corvo) 2000 (Frolov, Visnovsky) and 2005 (Kopitar, Quick) for sure. If you meant something else, my apologizes.

So Bernier and Johnson for Connolly? Stop watching the WJC already!

Connolly will be alright, but he's a 20-25 goal guy I bet for his career. He's not Heatley or Stamkos.

I'd give Semin a try if the price was decent. Stoll and pick for Semin.

We did that. Do you mean fire Kompon? Because firing Darryl would be pretty dumb. Offense or not, we are 3-0-2 under him.

Penner had a good game I thought. Had a great tip in front of Mason in I think the second and nearly got the rebound. If he had, we'd likely have a 1-0 win and he'd be the hero.

Penner's been bad, but he's not the main problem with this team. He played good last night from what I seen.

Agreed. If we had scored a goal in regulation, this team would be the greatest thing since sliced bread and all the talk would be about how awesome the defense has been to allow zero goals in 120 minutes+. Instead, the team sucks, let's trade Johnson and Bernier for a kid whose lighting up the WJC and we should just tank to get a good pick.

Everyone should just chill out. We have 8 points in five games under Sutter and are moving up. I've been one of the biggest critics of the fact our offense scores less than a 19-year-old in Belgium but we should be looking at the positives here. 8 out of 10 points under Sutter, with all of one practice to work with. Give him a chance to impliment his system before we screw for a rebuild while we call DL a witch and toss him into a river with a boulder tied to his feet.

Chill out.
As I often do I agree with everything you have said (it was what I was saying/trying to say also).

We expect a guy who hasn't coached in awhile take over a struggling team 30 some games into the season, a team that has played together for the most part for a couple of seasons and is still looking for an absolute identity and turn them right into world beaters in 5 games?

The mere fact that we have 8 points in those 5 games is freaking fantastic if you ask me (take a look at how well BB has done down in Ana or DH has done with the vunderkind Ove and the Caps for reference).

For the first time since Vachon (and at times even then) we have truly astonishingly great goaltending and a defence that is world class. Let the coach have another ten games to develop/implement (and here is the most critical part) EVALUATE what he has as far as offence is concerned before we go on another "BURN THE WITCH" B.S. run.

Do we need a speed sniper winger? YES.

Could we use a new PP coach? I can't see how you could really argue otherwise.

Are we back to being an excellent team who plays with heart and at times like they are unbeatable? They look that way to me.

We are MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to success than failure here so is it fair to be cautious and even concerned? Sure, why not. I feel that way about allot of things that I love and know that I can count on.

Is there any reason to even let it be a true concern at this point though? NO. Why? Why not give this new coach his 20 games (sort of a standard timeline for new coaches to start expecting their voices to be heard and acted on in my experience) to find out if we have made a great move or pooped the bed?

Kopi is a PROVEN SCORER and the fact that he hasn't scored a ton of goals shows more to his commitment to defencive play than anything else. Oh and when a team is struggling the first thing that you will watch most good teams do is play smart hard defencive hockey. PERIOD. It is what can make an average team a world beater.

You want examples? There are hundreds for you all you need to do is take a look at how well NJ, Phila, Mont (now and then) Buff (now and then) and on and on have been so successful for so long. Now I am not saying we don't still need O help but for crapping out loud we aren't in any serious trouble just yet.

I have an idea, it is shared by allot of people on these boards. WHY NOT ENJOY THE TEAM AND HOW HARD IT IS WORKING WHILE GIVING DS ANOTHER DOZEN OR SO GAMES TO SORT THINGS OUT?

Then hit that red PANIC button as hard as you want and go into full meltdown freak out mode if that is what you need to do heck, if we don't go above a 650 win % I might join you but for now, for the next bit of time why not just relax and enjoy the team and the game.

Like allot of us I have been around the team since the very early 70's (some times from about as far away as you can get but not always) and I can honestly tell you that I like our team and our chances today more than any other time in our history save 93 and maybe what we had prior to the 99 deal (not entirely but we had some major talent and were headed in the right direction).

Sorry for jumping on KF but I see allot of panic on the boards when there should be at least some more praise.

Pat (PSP) if you see this, I don't think you are entirely wrong either. Just put me down for this offseason before I start considering meltdown mode on DL and co (same for you tomd).

I am going to spend the next few weeks enjoying the game.

For those who have asked if I know about any potential deals that we might be considering. Take it with the a cup full of your favorite kosher sea salt but I have heard that DL is working on a deal that had fallen apart prior to TM being fired that would give us a scoring winger/sniper if it goes through.

I have heard so many names and teams that who knows if it is true or not but I get asked either via PM or email and that is about as much as I know at the time. I am doing a different sort of job following JR hockey that takes up a ton more of my time so I don't hear as much as I used to.

GO KINGS GO!

GO KINGS GO!!

GO KINGS GO!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:54 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Kings have 1,182 shots so far and 79 goals. At 9%, they would have 106 goals, or 2.79 G/G (12th overall).

And I'm not sure where you got the 2.16 goals per game, but the Kings are at 2.08 right now. 79 goals in 38 games.

Are you adding in the shootout goals that don't count?
I was going off the standings on TSN at the time.

Sorry for the late reply, was away for the holidays.

And to TG, good post my friend. Well said.