HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils vs Sabres 12/28/11 7:00 p.m.

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zachy Poo View Post
Wasnt it Cammer?
No, Cammer was tied up with another Sabre and playing hugsies with the ref. That was hilarious as well, watching him reasoning with the ref, lol.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:33 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Nut View Post
it doesn't include the shootout goals i don't believe. i think it just counts the "goal" we get from winning the game in a shootout. it doesn't count all of the goals we actually have scored in the shootout. that's probably what you are saying though.
Yeah I know. I could have worded it differently to make it sound better. But we still have 92 goals as I mentioned in my post.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Same thing with Marty's assist. IIRC, Marty passed to Sykora who passed to Elias, back to Sykora.
No, that's an assist properly credited to Marty. Since only Sykora and Elias touched the puck between Marty's pass and the goal, he gets an assist. Doesn't matter how many times they passed the puck between themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
So, this hipcheck from Larsson, is it gif/video worthy? Would love to see it if so.
It was pretty awesome. One of the Sabres tried to beat him down the middle of the defensive zone, and Larsson dropped down and hit him with the hip. Very well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Taormina played the 2nd most ES minutes last night. I hope he is earning the confidence of the coaching staff because I think he is a good player and he really fits this system nicely.

What has to be a little odd for Taormina is that he is getting PK time and not PP time. I like Fayne, but it seems like a no brainer to give the PP time to Taormina over Fayne.
Fayne is right handed, which helps him set up Kovy, and he has a slightly better shot than Taormina, in my opinion. I think there should be two defencemen on both PP units, but since that won't happen, I'm ok with the defencemen they are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
I know we're not supposed to visit other teams boards and bring stuff over, but this did make me chuckle and was written by a Sabres fan:
That's pretty funny. Poor Sabres.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
No, that's an assist properly credited to Marty. Since only Sykora and Elias touched the puck between Marty's pass and the goal, he gets an assist. Doesn't matter how many times they passed the puck between themselves.
Yeah that was as pure of an assist as you can get outside he passes it directly up ice for a breakaway... which he tried later in the game with the empty net and Elias (iirc) thought it was a shot attempt so he ducked out of the way. THEN he really did start shooting at the net.

We're all a bunch of sausage sticks walking around. None of us really wants to see how we were made.
Old
12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Trap View Post
Technically the Devils have only scored 92 goals.
And really we didn't deserve any of those goals.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Really? I never knew that.

I thought the passes had to be consecutive to get credit.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Really? I never knew that.

I thought the passes had to be consecutive to get credit.
Nope. Same thing happened in this goal against Buffalo in the previous meeting, where Marty passed it to Kovy, who passed it to Elias. Patty passed it back to Kovy, who then scored on a snipe job. If it was only consecutive passes that could be assists, Elias would get the lone assist. But Brodeur got the second one for the long breakout pass, and I would argue that it's a well earned assist.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 50
It's perfectly logical if you think about it. Assists are supposed to credit the people most directly responsible for making the goal possible. Whether the last 2 people pass the puck back and forth 3 times or not the 3rd person started the play. It's just too bad that often the person MOST responsible for the play never touched the puck - especially on turnovers coming from a big check.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Zubrus keeps getting robbed of assists in that way. He didn't touch the puck on Sykora's second goal in this game, nor on Elias's second goal on Montreal, but he was pretty much responsible for both goals.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

If the Devils had not given up 11 SHG's, and gave up say 5 SHG's like the other teams to give up the most SHG's, and minus the shootout loss the goals would be 92 for, and 98 against!

Actually 100 for, and 104 against sounds much better. Smaller deficit!

Old
12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
It's perfectly logical if you think about it. Assists are supposed to credit the people most directly responsible for making the goal possible. Whether the last 2 people pass the puck back and forth 3 times or not the 3rd person started the play. It's just too bad that often the person MOST responsible for the play never touched the puck - especially on turnovers coming from a big check.
Good man.

Another reason why I loathe the fantasy league and Sabremetrics mindset - the idea that only the last person (primary assist) to touch the puck should be awarded a point. Or that a secondary assist is "cheap"

Sure.

As you stated, a goal is often "set up" nearly 200 feet away or elsewhere on the ice, by a teammate who didn't even touch the puck, or made a great breakout pass, two players removed from the actual goal. No doubt, some assists are more fortuitous than others, but so what?

But so it goes for one when the game is played on a stats sheet.

Closed Thread