HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

John Madden signs with Panthers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
  #76
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,831
vCash: 50
Holy crap, it's probably out of Tallon's control, but you'd think there would be a little more urgency in getting guys signed. By the time Monday rolls around, we've already played 2 really important games and it sounds like Weiss, Goc, Samuelsson and Upshall should be either in or really close.

I guess even if Madden signed, who knows if he'd be ready to play by this weekend anyway though.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:29 PM
  #77
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Holy crap, it's probably out of Tallon's control, but you'd think there would be a little more urgency in getting guys signed. By the time Monday rolls around, we've already played 2 really important games and it sounds like Weiss, Goc, Samuelsson and Upshall should be either in or really close.

I guess even if Madden signed, who knows if he'd be ready to play by this weekend anyway though.
Weiss is probably back in tomorrow night, so that is a huge piece back. If you are think that Tallon might be handcuffed financially by Viner, I dont think that is the case. There could be better options out there, so why not wait a few more days. Besides, Madden hasnt played at all this season, so even if he is signed, he might need a few days of practice to get his game legs back. Going by the respect that a lot of our players have for him though, I expect him to be signed soon.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:41 PM
  #78
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
If it takes Madden a couple weeks to get into game shape, you may get Goc, Upshall, etc. back so where does that leave him? That, to me, is really the equation that Tallon is figuring out.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
  #79
gizmo12688
Registered User
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
If it takes Madden a couple weeks to get into game shape, you may get Goc, Upshall, etc. back so where does that leave him? That, to me, is really the equation that Tallon is figuring out.
It just seems more and more likely to be that Santorelli will be gone by the deadline.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
  #80
Lola
Future Panthers
 
Lola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
This.


Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:44 PM
  #81
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARampage View Post
Contract question here. With the resent signings of Thomas and now Madden isn't Florida near it's max in amount of contracts they can have?
With Madden signed, that would give the Panthers 49 active contracts (53 players signed but 4 have had their contracts slide due to playing in juniors - Huberdeau, Petrovic, Howden & McFarland).
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
we also terminated Plante's contract though, didn't we?
Yes and also because we terminated Comrie's contract early this yr too. We still have one contract spot open for this season even after Madden signs (which I expect will happen over the weekend).

IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if Madden goes to San Antonio briefly to get back into game shape first. Maybe a game or 2 with the Rampage and then come back up to the Panthers to help center the 3rd or 4th line.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
  #82
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
Tallon has to add something to the lineup. Our team right now is AWFUL. If this team started the year with this line up, we would be where the pre season predictions put us, 15th in the eastern conference. Don't think Madden will help any, but atleast the GM is trying something I guess...

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:46 PM
  #83
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
If it takes Madden a couple weeks to get into game shape, you may get Goc, Upshall, etc. back so where does that leave him? That, to me, is really the equation that Tallon is figuring out.
Where does that leave Madden? It leaves him as a healthy scratch. That's the beauty of it.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:25 AM
  #84
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Where does that leave Madden? It leaves him as a healthy scratch. That's the beauty of it.
Personally, once Madden is in game shape, he'd be an excellent 4th line center and would rather him in the lineup over Santorelli at this point. I'm pretty sure THAT is part of what Tallon & co. were trying to figure out. Which players are gonna be made available if Madden is brought in and whats the plan for the future as well (if they trade Santorelli and Madden isnt resigned for next yr, who do they have as a 4th line center next yr and beyond).

Besides, I doubt it takes Madden weeks to get into game shape...most likely a few games is all it would be (since he's been skating on his own for quite some time). I'd be extremely comfortable going into the playoffs with this as our center depth:

Weiss
Matthias
Goc
Madden


Last edited by Coolburn: 12-30-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:19 AM
  #85
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?
 
LUUUUUIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Personally, once Madden is in game shape, he'd be an excellent 4th line center and would rather him in the lineup over Santorelli at this point. I'm pretty sure THAT is part of what Tallon & co. were trying to figure out. Which players are gonna be made available if Madden is brought in and whats the plan for the future as well (if they trade Santorelli and Madden isnt resigned for next yr, who do they have as a 4th line center next yr and beyond).

Besides, I doubt it takes Madden weeks to get into game shape...most likely a few games is all it would be (since he's been skating on his own for quite some time). I'd be extremely comfortable going into the playoffs with this as our center depth:

Weiss
Matthias
Goc
Madden
Easy. Weiss on the first line and have Huberdeau, Matthias, and Goc compete for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Not a bad situation at all! I also agree with your center lineup. As fans, we got to keep our chins up. Our team isn't awful, just injured. When some of these guys get healthy again we're going to have the problem of too many qualified players for the playoffs. It's a good problem to have. I, for one, am excited to see what Madden can bring to our game. Even if he isn't phenomenal, I'd be happy with consistently solid play from him.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:26 AM
  #86
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Tallon has to add something to the lineup. Our team right now is AWFUL. If this team started the year with this line up, we would be where the pre season predictions put us, 15th in the eastern conference. Don't think Madden will help any, but atleast the GM is trying something I guess...
Our team isn't awful, it's injured. The preseason predictions of 15 th was for our HEALTHY team, which we clearly proved wrong.

Keep your head up.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:38 AM
  #87
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?
 
Panthers are Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By my computer
Country: England
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Easy. Weiss on the first line and have Huberdeau, Matthias, and Goc compete for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Not a bad situation at all! I also agree with your center lineup. As fans, we got to keep our chins up. Our team isn't awful, just injured. When some of these guys get healthy again we're going to have the problem of too many qualified players for the playoffs. It's a good problem to have. I, for one, am excited to see what Madden can bring to our game. Even if he isn't phenomenal, I'd be happy with consistently solid play from him.
Or it would be possible for us to trade for a new centre, bring up another one of our prospects or sign a free agent. Endless possibilities. I am really disappointed by what has happened to Santorelli this season, any ideas about what is going on?

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
  #88
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987
 
Jeff Shafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
Or it would be possible for us to trade for a new centre, bring up another one of our prospects or sign a free agent. Endless possibilities. I am really disappointed by what has happened to Santorelli this season, any ideas about what is going on?
It comes down to the numbers honestly, I still have hope for the guy, I don't want to send him off and close the book on him just yet. The end could be near though.

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:51 AM
  #89
Catsfan7
Registered User
 
Catsfan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
I told my friend about possibly signing Madden, and he says "Now he and Jovo can rub Bengay on each other."

Catsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:34 PM
  #90
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Tallon has to add something to the lineup. Our team right now is AWFUL. If this team started the year with this line up, we would be where the pre season predictions put us, 15th in the eastern conference. Don't think Madden will help any, but atleast the GM is trying something I guess...

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:05 PM
  #91
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP
 
MillarWithASave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Tallon has to add something to the lineup. Our team right now is AWFUL. If this team started the year with this line up, we would be where the pre season predictions put us, 15th in the eastern conference. Don't think Madden will help any, but atleast the GM is trying something I guess...
-facedesk-

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:34 PM
  #92
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Easy. Weiss on the first line and have Huberdeau, Matthias, and Goc compete for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Not a bad situation at all! I also agree with your center lineup. As fans, we got to keep our chins up. Our team isn't awful, just injured. When some of these guys get healthy again we're going to have the problem of too many qualified players for the playoffs. It's a good problem to have. I, for one, am excited to see what Madden can bring to our game. Even if he isn't phenomenal, I'd be happy with consistently solid play from him.
there's also timmons. he's 22 and ought to be ready for that 4th line role soon.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:44 PM
  #93
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
john madden has always been a solid player

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
  #94
5 Hole
Registered User
 
5 Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The 'No..
Country: United States
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
If this team started the year with this line up, we would be where the pre season predictions put us, 15th in the eastern conference.
If this post wasn't retarded it would be great.

See what I did there?

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:21 PM
  #95
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
By "right now," I'm assuming he means "right now, with 7 forwards out."

7 forwards out, including Weiss is pretty "awful," to be fair. The win against the Leafs was nice, but the team we put out there that night (because of injuries) was not a good one.

Madden is an upgrade over the AHL caliber forwards. I look forward to having him here...always liked his game.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
  #96
5 Hole
Registered User
 
5 Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The 'No..
Country: United States
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
By "right now," I'm assuming he means "right now, with 7 forwards out."
Sure, I get it, but 'right now' the sky is blue... so what?

We're getting guys back and Dale is on it. I'm not worried.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:24 PM
  #97
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
there's also timmons. he's 22 and ought to be ready for that 4th line role soon.
I'd also include other young guys in that mix as well...Tallon traded for James Wright who has played in the NHL already and is 23. I think him and Timmins could compete for that spot but I do think Tallon and Dineen had to discuss that and where does Matthias fit long term too.

I wouldn't expect it but Bjugstad could be a possibility too (rather he play in AHL next yr).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:28 AM
  #98
Tyler Durden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Has he even signed with the Florida Pantehrs yet? I dont seem to find any links that confirm it and he isnt on the Panthers roster.

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
  #99
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Has he even signed with the Florida Pantehrs yet? I dont seem to find any links that confirm it and he isnt on the Panthers roster.
No, he hasn't signed yet.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
  #100
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 835
It sounds like most of our injured are close to returning so I wonder how that might affect the need to sign Madden. Skille, Upshall, and Bergy all skated before today's practice and Goc & Sammy will make the trip to New York.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.