HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Goalie controversy - Winter Classic edition

View Poll Results: From a fan's perspective, Bryz or Bob for the Winter Classic?
Bryzgalov 29 31.87%
Bobrosky 62 68.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Broad st phantom

vCash: 500
Bob deserves the start. Politics have Bryz starting though. Maybe Bryz will want to show up and not look like a fool on national TV.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Kaktus*

We probably start Bryzgalov but I voted Bobrovsky.

Bryzgalov needs hypnosis of some sort. Maybe buy him another huskie? Whatever it takes.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-30-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Madik77

I think it will be Bryz. However he will know that he has to come with really A+ performance otherwise his training camp with Reese will be longer than he though and Bob will have several games in a row. He deserves it atm.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Lurch

vCash: 50
Has to be Bryz. He is ours for 9 years so slapping him in the face probably would not be the smartest thing to do. Bob did earn the start, but like it or not Bryz is our franchise guy.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:24 AM
RoDu

Lost in the woods? These will help

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
WeekendAtBernies

I don't understand how so many people can say "We have to go with Bryz, maybe he will show up for a big game."

He's already blown numerous opportunities to "get up" for big intra-division games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results
How can we expect something different from Bryz if we just allow him to continue starting even when he hasn't earned it and the other guy clearly has?

Laviolette has ALWAYS been about earning your ice time. He's shown this numerous times this year by limiting a player's minutes when they aren't playing well. He just did it to JVR by placing him on the 4th line. GOALIES AREN'T SPECIAL. BRYZGALOV ISN'T SPECIAL. He needs to be treated like any other player on this team and he doesn't deserve the start in the WC.

The best thing we can do for Bryzgalov @ this point is to get him angry. Light a fire under his ass and give him a reason to fight for his job. Benching him for the WC is the best chance we have for this to happen.

He feels "entitled" to start that game. He's having a special mask made. Let's rip that entitlement away and put him in a fight for his job. See how he responds to a little adversity.

As I said in an earlier post, this kit gloves crap needs to stop. If Bryzgalov can't handle being benched for the WC and can't handle a goalie controversy, then can anyone here really expect him to have the mental fortitude to make it through 4 rounds of playoff action (what it takes to win the cup) here in Philly?

Because if he thinks being benched for an outdoor game is too much adversity to handle, he hasn't seen anything yet. There's a ton more negativity and a ton more pressure when you're the goalie for the Flyers in the playoffs and you let a bad goal in.

I want to find out right now whether or not Bryzgalov can REALLY be our franchise goalie. The test for that is how he responds to adversity.

Bob already passed that test in my book. He was benched after 1 game in the playoffs, then replaced as the starter in the offseason when they gave Bryz 9/51. It was a huge slap in the face for Bobs. Snider basically said "Sorry kid, but I don't believe in you". Bob could've demanded a trade, shut down and stopped giving effort, etc... but instead, he used it as motivation to continue improving and he dedicated himself to winning the starting job back. And he's played pretty damn well for us as a result.

That's how a winner responds to adversity.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bob has earned it. Bryz has a 9-year contract, that's likely long enough to be around for the next time we're in it.
Yeah because the flyers keep their players for the entire length of the contract.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:05 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Yeah because the flyers keep their players for the entire length of the contract.
Good luck trading Bryz's NINE YEAR DEAL.

He also has a NMC, so don't think you can unload him to some crappy cap floor team.

Bryzgalov is more untradeable @ this point than Scott Gomez or Rick DiPietro.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

He also has a NMC, so don't think you can unload him to some crappy cap floor team.

The Flyers have more than proven that when (they feel) it's time for someone to go, they're gone. If the Flyers no longer want Ilya Bryzgalov on the roster, the next day he will no longer be on the roster.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
The Flyers have more than proven that when (they feel) it's time for someone to go, they're gone. If the Flyers no longer do not want Ilya Bryzgalov on the roster, the next day he will no longer be on the roster.
Except that all those other players they got rid off were actually good and had considerable trade value and reasonable contracts.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Depends on how Bryzgalov is. If he won't waive the NMC you threaten to make him a backup playing 10 games per year. If he doesn't mind sitting for 9 years and getting a big payday he's got the Flyers by the balls. If he actually wants to make something of himself, he'll waive it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Except that all those other players they got rid off were actually good and had considerable trade value and reasonable contracts.
That's irrelevant to the point.

Hockey Prospectus just announced that they're going to have weekly of GVT on their website. GVT is essentially equal to VORP in baseball:

http://hockeyprospectus.com/sortable/

Ilya Bryzgalov had a GVT of -5.8, which is 5th worst in the league (Brodeur, Cam Ward, Roloson, Mason behind behind. Mason is -13.0, which is basically means he hasn't even been AHL caliber). That won't keep up, but it's too big of a hole to get back to a point to maybe even average.

Sergei Bobrovsky is +1.7, which is about where you'd like your backup goalie to be. For some perspective, last year Bobrovsky and Boucher were both in the 5's last year, while Michael Leighton was +1.5 two years ago.

This at Christmas, so it was before the Tampa Bay game.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:39 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
I don't understand how so many people can say "We have to go with Bryz, maybe he will show up for a big game."

He's already blown numerous opportunities to "get up" for big intra-division games.

How can we expect something different from Bryz if we just allow him to continue starting even when he hasn't earned it and the other guy clearly has?

Laviolette has ALWAYS been about earning your ice time. He's shown this numerous times this year by limiting a player's minutes when they aren't playing well. He just did it to JVR by placing him on the 4th line. GOALIES AREN'T SPECIAL. BRYZGALOV ISN'T SPECIAL. He needs to be treated like any other player on this team and he doesn't deserve the start in the WC.

The best thing we can do for Bryzgalov @ this point is to get him angry. Light a fire under his ass and give him a reason to fight for his job. Benching him for the WC is the best chance we have for this to happen.

He feels "entitled" to start that game. He's having a special mask made. Let's rip that entitlement away and put him in a fight for his job. See how he responds to a little adversity.

As I said in an earlier post, this kit gloves crap needs to stop. If Bryzgalov can't handle being benched for the WC and can't handle a goalie controversy, then can anyone here really expect him to have the mental fortitude to make it through 4 rounds of playoff action (what it takes to win the cup) here in Philly?

Because if he thinks being benched for an outdoor game is too much adversity to handle, he hasn't seen anything yet. There's a ton more negativity and a ton more pressure when you're the goalie for the Flyers in the playoffs and you let a bad goal in.

I want to find out right now whether or not Bryzgalov can REALLY be our franchise goalie. The test for that is how he responds to adversity.

Bob already passed that test in my book. He was benched after 1 game in the playoffs, then replaced as the starter in the offseason when they gave Bryz 9/51. It was a huge slap in the face for Bobs. Snider basically said "Sorry kid, but I don't believe in you". Bob could've demanded a trade, shut down and stopped giving effort, etc... but instead, he used it as motivation to continue improving and he dedicated himself to winning the starting job back. And he's played pretty damn well for us as a result.

Well said !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

I've never agreed with you more.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

2 years ago, Lavy wasn't afraid to keep the hot hand in Leighton in net for the Winter Classic.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Devastate

Quote:
2 years ago, Lavy wasn't afraid to keep the hot hand in Leighton in net for the Winter Classic.
two years ago We didn't have 50 million invested in a goalie or HBO's hottest personality. It's a little different now than it was two years ago.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
two years ago We didn't have 50 million invested in a goalie or HBO's hottest personality. It's a little different now than it was two years ago.
That does not help him stop the puck. Lavi might be the type of guy that does not give a crap about that.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Peter Laviolette doesn't give two ***** about HBO's cameras.

Old
12-30-2011, 01:17 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Yea, but they made a nice helmet just for him and are giving it away for charity. Him playing is too high profile.

He might not be in for the entire game, but he will play some of it imo. Sucks. :/

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Peter Laviolette doesn't give two ***** about HBO's cameras.
I agree 100%. I'm saying that isn't as simple as putting bobrovsky in this time around. There's other things to consider.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
FlyerGuy18

Here's Bob's mask

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:57 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I think the Flyers will use the Winter Classic as Bryzgalov's last test. If he does bad, he will be the backup unless Bob sucks too.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Yea, start Bobrovsky. Then see how good Bryz will rebound with his confidence at an all time low. He doesn't seem like the player to be able to rebound from this type of controversy.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
MsWoof

I hope Bryz doesn't get out there and **** his pants when he sees the crowd. I just don't think the guy has the mental game to deal with a lot of things. Bob deserves the start but I doubt he'll get it. The pressure from HBO and the $51 million contract will win out.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
JoeFlyer

I actually think this is really tough but Bob has been the better keeper of late so I think you start him... There's no doubt in my mind that Bryz is the better but he has been playing badly.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote