HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

a twist on the atlanta rumours

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 05:01 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
a twist on the atlanta rumours

the talks with atlanta have been confirmed by thier GM ( Waddell ). Atlanta is a five year old team who are not really make much progress establishing themselves in their market. They would be one of the first teams to be contracted based on merit.

They need scoring, but they also need a bigger community presence. Right now, heatley is their poster boy for all the wrong reasons. Kovy is awesome but not media friendly. Comtrie would really help them out but Laraque would own that town.

BG would bring them something they haven't seen yet - a black hockey player. Atlanta's population has a lot of black people and I have never seen a black face in the crowd whenever I catch them on centre ice. BG would also bring in a lot of white people as well because he is so personable. IMO, his trade value to a team like atlanta would be far greater than his hockey skills.

If you combined laraque with comrie, you could see a monster return for the oilers. Something like stephan, coburn, and exelby. The NHL would luv this deal as BG is potentially a star marketing personality for them in the South.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Coburn & Exelby ? Heck , they are the future crusher on their Blueline , they wont trade both of them without reciving a single d-man .

Atlanta add a 1st pick and Edmonton add healty scratch Brewer and then Atlanta can consider the deal .

Old
11-04-2003, 05:12 AM
FacelessButcher

Comrie is pretty marketable too the ladies love him . The Oilers seemed to use him as their poster boy for a lot for assorted memorabilia. The Combo of him and Laraque would fetch a deadly return I'd toss my hat in for that one but we could probably get more for them than what you suggested considering the Worell deal, I would say GL is worth 30-50% more based on skill+ undisputed top fighter status+ charisma+ p.r.+ increased fan interest.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:07 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Coburn & Exelby ? Heck , they are the future crusher on their Blueline , they wont trade both of them without reciving a single d-man .

Atlanta add a 1st pick and Edmonton add healty scratch Brewer and then Atlanta can consider the deal .
Your dreaming man. Laraque and Comrie would def. land us two defensive prospects and Stefan

Old
11-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
BG would bring them something they haven't seen yet - a black hockey player. Atlanta's population has a lot of black people and I have never seen a black face in the crowd whenever I catch them on centre ice. BG would also bring in a lot of white people as well because he is so personable.
The Thrashers had Rumun Ndur for some games, so Laraque would be the number 2

Old
11-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSimpson18
The Thrashers had Rumun Ndur for some games, so Laraque would be the number 2
I did a poor job of explaining my idea. BG is special because he is black AND because he is so media friendly. His personality is infectous. He has hisown radio show and is the most popular oiler in the community. He is also the most recognized athlete in the city.

In short, he would be the perfect addition to a team struggling to compete with NBA, NFL, MLB etc teams in the same markets, especially where hockey is not the traditional sport. I am thinking of cities like tampa, atlanta, columbus, and Los Angelos.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
I did a poor job of explaining my idea. BG is special because he is black AND because he is so media friendly. His personality is infectous. He has hisown radio show and is the most popular oiler in the community. He is also the most recognized athlete in the city.

In short, he would be the perfect addition to a team struggling to compete with NBA, NFL, MLB etc teams in the same markets, especially where hockey is not the traditional sport. I am thinking of cities like tampa, atlanta, columbus, and Los Angelos.
Thanks anyway. I misunderstood your first posting

Old
11-04-2003, 08:01 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Kovy is awesome but not media friendly.
What are you talking about, he gives a great interview and I have yet to see him turn down a post game interview for the media. He is funny, brash, outspoken, and has a terrific grasp on the English language.

Quote:
If you combined laraque with comrie, you could see a monster return for the oilers. Something like stephan, coburn, and exelby. The NHL would luv this deal as BG is potentially a star marketing personality for them in the South.
If you want Coburn AND Exelby you would have to add Brewer at the very least. Laraque is the best tough guy in the league, but lets be honest. Tough guys have very little value, see what the B's got for Stock.

I certainly buy into the idea that a black hockey player would energize the African-American community in Atlanta, but the most important factor for attendance in the NHL is winning. Now Atlanta appears to have a decent team for the first time in its history the attendance should increase once college football season is over.

Despite the accident Dany Heatley is still 10 times the marketing draw that GL is, and with his talent Kovalchuk is also a far more lucrative marketing tool than GL will ever be.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Mr Sakich

if you spent any time in edmonton, it would amaze you to find out that laraque is the most popular athlete. It has nothing to do with talent. Even non hockey fans know who he is and like him.

I would bet money that he would challenge Heatley as the most popular athlete if he were traded to atlanta.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:11 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
What are you talking about, he gives a great interview and I have yet to see him turn down a post game interview for the media. He is funny, brash, outspoken, and has a terrific grasp on the English language.

If you want Coburn AND Exelby you would have to add Brewer at the very least. Laraque is the best tough guy in the league, but lets be honest. Tough guys have very little value, see what the B's got for Stock.

I certainly buy into the idea that a black hockey player would energize the African-American community in Atlanta, but the most important factor for attendance in the NHL is winning. Now Atlanta appears to have a decent team for the first time in its history the attendance should increase once college football season is over.

Despite the accident Dany Heatley is still 10 times the marketing draw that GL is, and with his talent Kovalchuk is also a far more lucrative marketing tool than GL will ever be.

Tough guys do have value, Look at Worrell. Besides, BG also abolutely owns the boards when he is down low, he drags D-men with him and tires them out. ANY GM in the league would jump at the chance for BG. He is the most sought after commodity on the Oilers according to Lowe.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:36 PM
future consideration

Atlanta is not trading both Coburn and Exelby period.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:54 PM
blah

Quote:

Atlanta fans don't care about sports. They are the most apathetic fan base there is.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Mr Sakich

this is exactly why a team like atlanta needs a laraque. he crosses the border and reaches non-fans.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
I would bet money that he would challenge Heatley as the most popular athlete if he were traded to atlanta.
Heatley would first have to beat out Mike Vick, which isn't likely.

You have correctly identified Atlanta's demographic differences. That's about where I stop agreeing with anything you said.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Blatny Spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Atlanta fans don't care about sports. They are the most apathetic fan base there is.
Atlanta fans don't care about pro sports. It's a college sports town by a country mile.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:59 PM
J.P

How bout Comrie to the Canes for Vrbata and Danny Markov?

Closed Thread