HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will the Wild ever make a move

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Back in the ussr

vCash: 500
Will the Wild ever make a move

they did not sign any big players during the offseason, there are still no rumors about any moves.

we have been waiting for all these new recruits but our only great player is gaborik. there is no way we can compete against good teams while we find out our prospects were no worth letting our chance to let good players slip by last off season

we need to make some moves or show off our prospects

Old
12-14-2005, 11:12 AM
ryz

I don't think they should make any moves till the offseason. They screwed up. They had a chance to bring in some players in the offseason "feeding frenzy" and chose to stand pat. Now the season is pretty much a lost cause before Christmas for them unless they suddenly become a top 3 team overall for the rest of the season. They made their beds, now they have to lie in it until the next "feeding frenzy".

Old
12-14-2005, 11:41 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Minnesota I think was smart on not picking anyone up this offseason, simply because we have a lot of rookies this year to look at. Rolston was a fine addition, Bouchard is finally breaking out, Burns is a solid defenseman, Boogaard has been playing like an NHLer (despite what people have said about him), and now Foster is contributing.

We have a TON of cap room to maneuver with and because of that teams might have to dump some salary on teams like the Wild.

Minnesota didn't screw up, White was a good addition, Choiunard is streaky but solid. We expected more out of Daigle and Dupuis goalwise but...

Minnesota will start making moves as the trading deadline gets near. Our prospects have looked absolutely solid in Houston.

Old
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Wild Thing

I think you first two guys are both looking at it the wrong way. I don't think the Wild's main objective this season is to compete for the Cup, or even make a serious playoff run. I think their primary focus this season is to evaluate and develop the young talent, and that's going to take a heck of a lot longer than a third of a season.

If you're going to make a move - a trade or a free agent acqusition - it should be based on what you need, not what's available. You don't know what you need until you evaluate what you already have, and it seems clear to me that that's what they're trying to do this year. Look at all the brand new faces they have in their lineup - Koivu, Wanvig, Boogard, Foy, and Foster are all rookies, none of of them ever having played more than a dozen games at the NHL level before this season. Burns, Veilleux, and Bouchard are young players who all have some NHL experience, but this is the first year they've been asked to step up and take on leadership roles with the team. Rolston, Robitaille, White, and Tjarnquist are all veterans, but brand new to the team. Heck, that's half their lineup. It's going to take a while to get a clear idea if what this recipe is going to taste like when it's finished, and I don't see any need for the Wild to make any major moves until they know.

They'll have a much better idea of what they have by the end of the season, and there's plenty of time then to figure out what they need to add. For the time being, I'm content to watch the younger guys learn the game and figure out who they are and what they're made of. Plenty of time down the road to watch them win Cups.

Old
12-14-2005, 12:16 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Minnesota I think was smart on not picking anyone up this offseason, simply because we have a lot of rookies this year to look at. Rolston was a fine addition, Bouchard is finally breaking out, Burns is a solid defenseman, Boogaard has been playing like an NHLer (despite what people have said about him), and now Foster is contributing.

We have a TON of cap room to maneuver with and because of that teams might have to dump some salary on teams like the Wild.

Minnesota didn't screw up, White was a good addition, Choiunard is streaky but solid. We expected more out of Daigle and Dupuis goalwise but...

Minnesota will start making moves as the trading deadline gets near. Our prospects have looked absolutely solid in Houston.
Won't help them much if they're out of playoff contention.

Old
12-14-2005, 12:22 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
I think you first two guys are both looking at it the wrong way. I don't think the Wild's main objective this season is to compete for the Cup, or even make a serious playoff run. I think their primary focus this season is to evaluate and develop the young talent, and that's going to take a heck of a lot longer than a third of a season.

If you're going to make a move - a trade or a free agent acqusition - it should be based on what you need, not what's available. You don't know what you need until you evaluate what you already have, and it seems clear to me that that's what they're trying to do this year. Look at all the brand new faces they have in their lineup - Koivu, Wanvig, Boogard, Foy, and Foster are all rookies, none of of them ever having played more than a dozen games at the NHL level before this season. Burns, Veilleux, and Bouchard are young players who all have some NHL experience, but this is the first year they've been asked to step up and take on leadership roles with the team. Rolston, Robitaille, White, and Tjarnquist are all veterans, but brand new to the team. Heck, that's half their lineup. It's going to take a while to get a clear idea if what this recipe is going to taste like when it's finished, and I don't see any need for the Wild to make any major moves until they know.

They'll have a much better idea of what they have by the end of the season, and there's plenty of time then to figure out what they need to add. For the time being, I'm content to watch the younger guys learn the game and figure out who they are and what they're made of. Plenty of time down the road to watch them win Cups.
Maybe so.

But some might argue that that's what a farm system is for, rather than living cheaply well below the cap, and making your fans to sit through conservative-defensive (agrubaly boring, but I don't want to get too inflamatory) hockey, with little hope of post-season ...

Old
12-14-2005, 12:30 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I had suggested to my fellow Sabres fans a bit back an Afinogenov for a Minny D-man trade, one of Kuba, Mitchell, or Schultz. Obviously, a pick might have to be included one way or the other to balance things out, but what are Minny fans take on that idea?

Old
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan
I had suggested to my fellow Sabres fans a bit back an Afinogenov for a Minny D-man trade, one of Kuba, Mitchell, or Schultz. Obviously, a pick might have to be included one way or the other to balance things out, but what are Minny fans take on that idea?
I'm not a Wild fan, but that seems pretty good for both teams -- addresses both's needs. Maxim is exactly the kind of guy the Wild need -- another offensive thread aside from Gaborik.

Old
12-14-2005, 12:35 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Doug Risebrough has said that the wild will be active in this offseason, and in today's Star Tribune, Mark Parrish is quoted as saying that he is intrigued by the idea of signing and playing for the Wild...they need a pp qb tho

*cough* wade redden *cough*

Old
12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan
Maybe so.

But some might argue that that's what a farm system is for, rather than living cheaply well below the cap, and making your fans to sit through conservative-defensive (agrubaly boring, but I don't want to get too inflamatory) hockey, with little hope of post-season ...
But I think you're missing the point. In fact, with all due respect I think you're perhaps missing two points.

First of all, the Wild farm system is where 7 of those 12 players I listed came from. They've spent anywhere from 1 to 4 years developing at the AHL level, and now it's time to find out what kind of players they're going to be at this level. You don't know that until you play them here.

As far as the post-season goes, again - the Wild's long term goal of building a solid, competitive team is more important than making the playoffs this year. As a fan, I totally agree with that approach. You build from within, one step at a time. The objective is to build a team that, once it becomes a regular postseason team, becomes a force in the playoffs and a threat to win the Cup every year. And that process takes time. I can wait another year or two, if that's what it takes.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo

Boogaard does exactly what he's supposed to do, and doesn't pretend to be what he's not, which already makes him better than many "enforcers" in the league who are being paid to do nothing. But he's not a guy who can be relied upon to play double-digit effective minutes consistently.

As long as Minny doesn't rush their prospects (like IMO they did with Brent Burns), they'll be OK. Lemaire has never been a guy who believes in huge free-agent splashes to build teams; he prefers roster stability.

I'm very glad they didn't bring Pouliot in this year, and that Mikko Koivu took his time (must to the frustruation of Wild fans.) I'm a firm believer that you usually don't win with teenagers unless they are exceptional.

As long as the Wild are patient, big free agent splashes aren't necessarily needed.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:28 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
But I think you're missing the point. In fact, with all due respect I think you're perhaps missing two points.

First of all, the Wild farm system is where 7 of those 12 players I listed came from. They've spent anywhere from 1 to 4 years developing at the AHL level, and now it's time to find out what kind of players they're going to be at this level. You don't know that until you play them here.

As far as the post-season goes, again - the Wild's long term goal of building a solid, competitive team is more important than making the playoffs this year. As a fan, I totally agree with that approach. You build from within, one step at a time. The objective is to build a team that, once it becomes a regular postseason team, becomes a force in the playoffs and a threat to win the Cup every year. And that process takes time. I can wait another year or two, if that's what it takes.

Fair enough, but if I were a fan I wouldn't be too happy paying full price knowing that the team was lounging well below the cap when they could be getting those kids some help. You can't tell me that every guy on that roster falls into that "evaluation" category you described -- some are filling holes on the cheap.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Fair enough, but if I were a fan I wouldn't be too happy paying full price knowing that the team was lounging well below the cap when they could be getting those kids some help. You can't tell me that every guy on that roster falls into that "evaluation" category you described -- some are filling holes on the cheap.
Now, that I agree with. I really do think they would have been well-served by bringing in at least one top-end free agent. Not only would it have been fun to watch Mike Modano flying around the Minnesota ice again, having a "go-to" guy like that would take some of the pressure off of the kids while they mature. Not to mention set a valuable example for them about what it takes to excel at this level. I just don't agree that bringing in a free agent or making a trade in order to squeeze into the playoffs would be the right thing for this team to do at this time.

I don't agree with every aspect of the Wild management philosophy, but for the most part I like the way they're going about it. I do agree that they're too cheap. They could spend a little more of that money to put a more entertaining product on the ice - or cut ticket prices, like a lot of teams did - but they don't. That's fine, it's their money and they get to spend it however they like. But come next year, they're going to be running out of excuses not to spend it, in my opinion. If the cheap approach doesn't start to produce results, they'd better be ready to go to Plan B, the "spend a few bucks and get what you pay for" approach. That's what they've promised to do when the time was right, ever since Day One. If they don't, they're going to start to seriously and perhaps permanently alienate some of their loyal fans - me included.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Now, that I agree with. I really do think they would have been well-served by bringing in at least one top-end free agent. Not only would it have been fun to watch Mike Modano flying around the Minnesota ice again, having a "go-to" guy like that would take some of the pressure off of the kids while they mature. Not to mention set a valuable example for them about what it takes to excel at this level. I just don't agree that bringing in a free agent or making a trade in order to squeeze into the playoffs would be the right thing for this team to do at this time.

I don't agree with every aspect of the Wild management philosophy, but for the most part I like the way they're going about it. I do agree that they're too cheap. They could spend a little more of that money to put a more entertaining product on the ice - or cut ticket prices, like a lot of teams did - but they don't. That's fine, it's their money and they get to spend it however they like. But come next year, they're going to be running out of excuses not to spend it, in my opinion. If the cheap approach doesn't start to produce results, they'd better be ready to go to Plan B, the "spend a few bucks and get what you pay for" approach. That's what they've promised to do when the time was right, ever since Day One. If they don't, they're going to start to seriously and perhaps permanently alienate some of their loyal fans - me included.
Bringing in that high-end guy would actually help them squeeze into the playoffs, so it's really acheiving both goals. Look at Nashville and Kariya -- but on the other hand, you don't want to go the Columbus or Pittsburgh route either. Relative to those 2 teams the Wild are doing pretty well. But since their coach and system is so strong they might've gone a long way had they brought in say a Kariya and a Foote ...who knows?

The added risk by not getting the kids help is that you may instill a losing mindset -- or ruin them entirely ... beleive me, I'm a Canucks fan and have seen it before...
But I do agree that the only way to develop a quality team is to grow the core then add to it -- you can't buy a team, neither can you expect the young core to do it on its own...

Old
12-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Bringing in that high-end guy would actually help them squeeze into the playoffs, so it's really acheiving both goals. Look at Nashville and Kariya -- but on the other hand, you don't want to go the Columbus or Pittsburgh route either. Relative to those 2 teams the Wild are doing pretty well. But since their coach and system is so strong they might've gone a long way had they brought in say a Kariya and a Foote ...who knows?

The added risk by not getting the kids help is that you may instill a losing mindset -- or ruin them entirely ... beleive me, I'm a Canucks fan and have seen it before...
But I do agree that the only way to develop a quality team is to grow the core then add to it -- you can't buy a team, neither can you expect the young core to do it on its own...

Yeah, I think they're trying to find the right balance between veterans and homegrown kids, and I will admit that I sometimes worry they're placing too much faith in the kids.

But I think that what happened was that last year's lockout put them in the position where suddenly, they had two year's worth of incoming prospects ready to go rather than just one year's. They decided to go for broke and give the whole crew a chance to earn jobs, and see exactly what they had to work with. I think it was a bit of a gamble, but so far it seems to be working out very well - some of the kids are having growing pains, but all things considered I think they're looking very good for this stage of their careers.

This year, the Wild seem to be making a commitment to building a solid team. Next year, I want to see them make a commitment to building a winning team. That's going to mean spending money. That's going to mean bringing in free agents, and trading away younger players who aren't meeting their potential. If they don't start doing that next season, I'm going to seriously question what they're up to. But for now, I'm content to watch and wait.

Old
12-14-2005, 04:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Minnesota waited and decided to let everyone else set the market value. Next year, teams won't be so desperate because there will not be 400 players on the market. Patience is a virtue, although I wouldn't count out the Wild just yet.

Old
12-14-2005, 05:43 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Keep drafting and building slowly...

Bouchard and Koivu are contributing, O'Sullivan will help.

Thelen won't reach his draft upside but he will contribute in a couple years, Pouliot is going to make a big impact in a couple years.

They have a good shot at getting one of Kessel, Toews, Frolik...

Old
12-14-2005, 06:11 PM
KH1

I have (no joke) actually had dreams where Willie Mitchell is playing on the Isles. As far as I'm concerned the guy walks on water, so if you want a good forward I would offer Parrish for Mitchell.

Old
12-14-2005, 11:53 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Burns is a funny case. If we didn't rush Burns he might have become a solid power forward. But he looks like a star in the making on defense. Thelen has a chance to hit his upside but we'll have to wait on that. Right now our offense looks good and our goaltenders are some of the best in the league. We need to add on to our defense now.

Closed Thread