HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Ticket information & other things

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2011, 08:02 PM
  #26
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Would love to go to this tournament. However destany tours seems pricier than it has to be (at least by judging by the costs for Buffalo). Would love to see how others go about making plans for this trip.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
  #27
Darth Bangkok
Registered User
 
Darth Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
why in the world would anyone need to use a tour company to do this ? how hard can it be to get tickets to the games? go to kayak, get some plane tickets, go to tripadvisor or a hosteling website and get a hotel.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:09 AM
  #28
kedr
Registered User
 
kedr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ufa, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kedr
Hi!
I am from Ufa.
What do you want to know?

kedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:43 AM
  #29
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedr View Post
Hi!
I am from Ufa.
What do you want to know?
Couple questions for you.

- How far is the rink in correlation to downtown?
- How difficult would it be for one to get around with no Russian (only English and poor French)
- How does one typically get around there? Taxi, bus, subway, tram, etc?
- Are there decent hotels near the rink?

Is Ufa like any other major European city where you just need some street smarts and common sense?


Last edited by Riptide: 12-30-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:08 PM
  #30
alex wallace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
visa

do not forget you need a visa to enter russia.

alex wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:37 PM
  #31
antidotevsk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Voskresensk, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Couple questions for you.

- How far is the rink in correlation to downtown?
- How difficult would it be for one to get around with no Russian (only English and poor French)
- How does one typically get around there? Taxi, bus, subway, tram, etc?
- Are there decent hotels near the rink?

Is Ufa like any other major European city where you just need some street smarts and common sense?
here's the link to the map http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CFfYqIYD
with no Russian it's rather difficult but what do you expect from non speaking English?
the best way is to meet with locals.
The public transport works fine. The typical price for taxi is not high ( i have been to Ufa in 2008)
Regarding hotels you can see the booking.com

antidotevsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:47 PM
  #32
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
why in the world would anyone need to use a tour company to do this ? how hard can it be to get tickets to the games? go to kayak, get some plane tickets, go to tripadvisor or a hosteling website and get a hotel.
Some people don't make their own bed in the morning, or hire someone to drive their own car. Go figure.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:00 PM
  #33
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Other than the obvious troll attempt, for someone who's never traveled any further east than western Europe, this is the impression that one has - sadly. Yet on the same hand we know that's not true. But it's so far east, that one can't help but wonder. I wouldn't expect it to be the same as New York or something, but that doesn't mean it's complete crap. Additionally I live in Northern Canada, so the weather there is likely nicer than up here lol. It would likely cost me at least 2k to go to the frozen four, where as it'll probably cost 5ish to go to Russia. And I could care less about college hockey, yet love the WJHC. And watching it in Russia (or Sweden in 2014) would be a blast! I might as well spend the extra and go further and see more of the world than the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok
why in the world would anyone need to use a tour company to do this ? how hard can it be to get tickets to the games? go to kayak, get some plane tickets, go to tripadvisor or a hosteling website and get a hotel.
Quote:
Some people don't make their own bed in the morning, or hire someone to drive their own car. Go figure.
That's not it at all. Say this was anywhere in western Europe. Between my French, English, and almost non existent Spanish, and the fact that many in western Europe speak many languages, I doubt I'd have an issue finding and booking a decent hotel close to the rink and ensuring I have or can get transportation, etc. Additionally while one may not speak the language, it's easier (at least for someone who doesn't speak Russian) to read a map, etc when it's not in Cyrillic. That's probably the most daunting part of this. Just looking at a map that's in Cyrillic is an experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidotevsk View Post
here's the link to the map http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CFfYqIYD
with no Russian it's rather difficult but what do you expect from non speaking English?
Thanks! The language issue isn't the end of the world, but how common is English as a 2nd (or 3rd/4th) language there?


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-30-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: removed quoted post
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:03 PM
  #34
NiagaraGirl
Hockey Canada fan :)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by photofinishbob View Post
I chuckled when I read some comments of guys taking their girlfriends, reminds me of the saying; would you take a ham sandwich to a banquet?
This "ham sandwich" would very much like to visit the "buffet" that is Russia thank you. :p And don't be so sure that the girlfriends might not also consider Russia to be a "buffet" of sorts... some very handsome Russian men out there gentlemen and got to love those Russian accents! lol

I, for one, would love to visit Russia.

Niagara Girl


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-30-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: removed quoted posts
NiagaraGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:12 PM
  #35
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Any respectable hotel will be able to assist you, for free, in terms of getting around, food, getting to the arena and so on. Some basic research will help, and I'm pretty sure the organizers in Ufa will do a good job of accommodating guests (tournament information and so on). I've heard that Ufa has a good reputation with it's audience and they care about their fans.

Bring a Russian dictionary of course, and have some basic phrases written down, so you can show people (where is ...), in case of emergency or if you want to buy something.

But choosing a respectable hotel can be the big difference between having a poor and good experiences.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
  #36
kedr
Registered User
 
kedr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ufa, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kedr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
- How far is the rink in correlation to downtown?
Well, historically Ufa was formed up of 2 towns, its shape resembles hourglass.
So we have old Ufa (the bigger south part), Chernikovka (the lesser norh part) and "crosspiece".
The new Ufa Arena (capacity 8000) is in the center of old Ufa, the old LDS (capacity 4400) is in the center of "crosspiece".
It's easy to get to both rinks with different kinds of transport.

Quote:
- How difficult would it be for one to get around with no Russian (only English and poor French)
Difficult but not impossible.
Much of Russian people learn English in schools and univercities, so you'll can get some help when needed.
It is also possible to order taxi with English-speaking driver (though it might be more expensive).
Quote:
- How does one typically get around there? Taxi, bus, subway, tram, etc?
Taxi is relatively cheap, you can get trough the whole city (~ 60 km) for about 450 rubles ($15).
It is also not a problem to move by bus, tram or trolleybus.
Quote:
- Are there decent hotels near the rink?
Yes, there are hotels near both rinks and around.
Quote:
Is Ufa like any other major European city where you just need some street smarts and common sense?
As I live here I can't answer this question

I can say Ufa habitants are friendly. And WJC will be a notable event for the city.

kedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:07 PM
  #37
kedr
Registered User
 
kedr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ufa, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kedr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
The language issue isn't the end of the world, but how common is English as a 2nd (or 3rd/4th) language there?
Well, as I wrote above, most of Russians get English courses in schools.
But don't expect much, there aren't much of English natives to get everyday practice here

kedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:08 PM
  #38
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
the **** was I reading


Last edited by tikkanen5rings*: 12-30-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: :facepalm:
tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:57 PM
  #39
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedr View Post
The new Ufa Arena (capacity 8000) is in the center of old Ufa, the old LDS (capacity 4400) is in the center of "crosspiece".
Is that this rink here? [HERE]
Ice Palace Salavat Yulaev (Russian: Дворец спорта Салават Юлаев) is an indoor sporting arena located in Ufa, Russia. The capacity of the arena is 4200.

Both rinks appear to be more in the southern end of the city. The new one in the south, and the older one further north, close to the middle, but still in the south?


Looking at some of the hotels and comments there. Looks like hotels in Russia (or eastern Europe?) are a LOT different than what we're used to in North America (mainly a lot smaller). And still smaller than what we had when I went to Paris and Madrid 10 years ago. Additionally they all look expensive - especially when you see how small they are. ~125-175 a night.


Last edited by Riptide: 12-31-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:23 AM
  #40
MOGiLNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
I was born in Russia but moved to Canada when I was 13. I don't think my Russian passport was renewed however I have my Canadian citizenship.

I'm now 27 and have never been back.

If i were to go back as a Canadian citizen, is there any risk at all of me being taken to do military service or anything like that?

Probably shouldn't be asking on a hockey forum, but some opinions would help

MOGiLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:28 AM
  #41
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
I was born in Russia but moved to Canada when I was 13. I don't think my Russian passport was renewed however I have my Canadian citizenship.

I'm now 27 and have never been back.

If i were to go back as a Canadian citizen, is there any risk at all of me being taken to do military service or anything like that?

Probably shouldn't be asking on a hockey forum, but some opinions would help
Lol, hardly. I mean very hardly. Or very-very hardly.

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:40 AM
  #42
kaiser matias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
I was born in Russia but moved to Canada when I was 13. I don't think my Russian passport was renewed however I have my Canadian citizenship.

I'm now 27 and have never been back.

If i were to go back as a Canadian citizen, is there any risk at all of me being taken to do military service or anything like that?

Probably shouldn't be asking on a hockey forum, but some opinions would help
For what its worth, a good friend of mine is Russian, and has been in Canada the last six years at university. He left before he completed his military service, and has been back a few times without any problem. He also said that at 27 you are no longer obligated, which is when he plans on moving back (he's 25 now). But since Russia doesn't recognise dual citizenship, they might still consider you Russian even if you use a Canadian passport. The best solution would be to contact the Russian embassy or consulate to see the best way to go about it, as they will know for sure what to do.

kaiser matias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:55 AM
  #43
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
For what its worth, a good friend of mine is Russian, and has been in Canada the last six years at university. He left before he completed his military service, and has been back a few times without any problem. He also said that at 27 you are no longer obligated, which is when he plans on moving back (he's 25 now). But since Russia doesn't recognise dual citizenship, they might still consider you Russian even if you use a Canadian passport. The best solution would be to contact the Russian embassy or consulate to see the best way to go about it, as they will know for sure what to do.
Russia do recognize dual citizenship but Russia demands from its citizens to use Russian passport when coming out of the country and to Russia. Bure,Jashin,Gonchar and so on have dual citizenship.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:29 AM
  #44
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Other than the obvious troll attempt, for someone who's never traveled any further east than western Europe, this is the impression that one has - sadly. Yet on the same hand we know that's not true. But it's so far east, that one can't help but wonder. I wouldn't expect it to be the same as New York or something, but that doesn't mean it's complete crap. Additionally I live in Northern Canada, so the weather there is likely nicer than up here lol. It would likely cost me at least 2k to go to the frozen four, where as it'll probably cost 5ish to go to Russia. And I could care less about college hockey, yet love the WJHC. And watching it in Russia (or Sweden in 2014) would be a blast! I might as well spend the extra and go further and see more of the world than the US.
I'm a westerner (but biased, I have to admit), and of course I've been there. Ufa is probably much, much safer than New York and other big Western cities. Moreover, people is much more friendly if compared with western counterparts, and they are always curious about foreigners. Plus I think the organization will make an effort to accomodate tourists during the WJC. And if you're smart (especially if you get to know the language), Russia is a cheap place especially concerning food and transports.
With that being said, going in Russia without knowing Russian might be tricky. Think of the US without knowing English...
If I will be there I can help you, I speak both English and Russian and I can call a taxi for you Russians taxists can be not pleasant to deal with if you don't speak the language. Not that in other countries where I've been it was different, though...

EDIT: Lol since we talk about sandwiches, remember that russian sandwiches (buterbrod is Russian for sandwich) are usually different eg they don't have the upper slice of bread.

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах

Last edited by Alessandro Seren Rosso: 12-31-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:32 AM
  #45
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Is that this rink here? [HERE]
Ice Palace Salavat Yulaev (Russian: Дворец спорта Салават Юлаев) is an indoor sporting arena located in Ufa, Russia. The capacity of the arena is 4200.
That is the older rink, the Ufa Arena is located in Ulitsa Lenina

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:36 AM
  #46
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Is Ufa like any other major European city where you just need some street smarts and common sense?
Sorry, but I have to tell you this:
BEWARE THE DRUNK BEARS PLAYING BALALAIKAS

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:50 AM
  #47
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Is Ufa like any other major European city where you just need some street smarts and common sense?
Basically but try to know a few phrases it would help a lot. Russia is not dangerous or scary it is pretty safe and a lot more safe than it was in the 1990's. Problem is Russia's reputation from the 90's is still stuck in many westerners minds. Completely different country, it has been transformed in the last 10 years although work still needs to be done(that is for a different thread).

The people are more welcoming in cities like Ufa than say Moscow, you should find it to be an interesting experience

Don't expect to see a lot of this

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:24 AM
  #48
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Is that this rink here? [HERE]
Ice Palace Salavat Yulaev (Russian: Дворец спорта Салават Юлаев) is an indoor sporting arena located in Ufa, Russia. The capacity of the arena is 4200.

.
this is the bigger and modern one.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/16282870
http://www.google.ee/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwAg&dur=237
http://www.google.ee/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwAQ&dur=167

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:42 AM
  #49
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
I was born in Russia but moved to Canada when I was 13. I don't think my Russian passport was renewed however I have my Canadian citizenship.

I'm now 27 and have never been back.

If i were to go back as a Canadian citizen, is there any risk at all of me being taken to do military service or anything like that?

Probably shouldn't be asking on a hockey forum, but some opinions would help
u shouldn't be worried about the military, what u should be worried is getting a russian visa. By their law you are a russian citizen and they will not give you a visa for your canadian passport. You have two options: pay 500-600 U.S. and cancel your russian citiizenship all-together, or spend about the same and renew your russian passport (which i have done, and yes I am a dual citizen of usa and russia). YET, it took me 13 month to get a confirmation of my citizenship, which you must do if your passport has expired (if you didn't grow up in moscow and st. petersbugh it may take looooooong time ) and another 3 to get my passport.
Therefore, if you wanna go to UFA you may as well get started now and unless you grew up in aforementioned two cities you may not get your papers on time, you will 99% not get a visa stamped in your canadian passport.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
  #50
MOGiLNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
u shouldn't be worried about the military, what u should be worried is getting a russian visa. By their law you are a russian citizen and they will not give you a visa for your canadian passport. You have two options: pay 500-600 U.S. and cancel your russian citiizenship all-together, or spend about the same and renew your russian passport (which i have done, and yes I am a dual citizen of usa and russia). YET, it took me 13 month to get a confirmation of my citizenship, which you must do if your passport has expired (if you didn't grow up in moscow and st. petersbugh it may take looooooong time ) and another 3 to get my passport.
Therefore, if you wanna go to UFA you may as well get started now and unless you grew up in aforementioned two cities you may not get your papers on time, you will 99% not get a visa stamped in your canadian passport.
I actually did grow up in Moscow so I guess that's some good news haha

Thanks for the help!

MOGiLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.