HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back 7 years/Jaromir Jagr appreciation

Old
12-29-2011, 09:28 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
You are a bunch of things and one of them is a silly individual ( proper word for this board,although not my choice of word to be honest),another is you have to be young.Under18 ..Im shocked if your older than 21. You may be Jagr himself or you may be Jagr's boyfriend or girlfriend,depending on how I or we ( the people of the almighty HF boards) or u look at it,lmao....

Graves was true class on and off the ice,with charities with kids.Played the game with grit and heart and class,imo the biggest heart of anY ranger to ever wear the sweater. He was a warrior on the ice,defended his team mates, and was the heart and soul of NYR.Also had a huge 52 goal season...He is a rnger mainly for what he did for the kids and people of NY as well as his huge part of the Rangers wining a cup.

You comparison of Graves to jagr,here in NY is absolutly ******** and terrible. Hopefully your doen blowing Jagr,cause its sickening.
so Graves gave to charity and thus he's a true Ranger?

Gotcha.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Not following this "True Ranger" BS. Is there such thing as a fake Ranger? Jagr was never truly a Ranger? He was just a fictitious being who happened to wear the jersey?

The guy came in and obliterated every scoring record this team had and he isn't a true Ranger? I'll always remember Jagr with his play during the series against the Penguins. The guy was a friggin' hero in those games.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Not following this "True Ranger" BS. Is there such thing as a fake Ranger? Jagr was never truly a Ranger? He was just a fictitious being who happened to wear the jersey?

The guy came in and obliterated every scoring record this team had and he isn't a true Ranger? I'll always remember Jagr with his play during the series against the Penguins. The guy was a friggin' hero in those games.
nah nah what they're saying is, Jagr put on a Ranger jersey, went out there and got 123 points, broke some records, won us some games, scored some amazing goals, had some outstanding passes, helped turn the Rangers around and helped breathe life into a dying team, but he didn't give to charities or kiss little kids or whatever so he's not a true Ranger.

and some people are calling him a brat? i guess? don't worry, i feel like i'm taking crazy pills too.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Cool it with the name calling and keep the discussion civil, or else we'll close the thread. The discussion seems to have mostly run it's course, anyway.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
nah nah what they're saying is, Jagr put on a Ranger jersey, went out there and got 123 points, broke some records, won us some games, scored some amazing goals, had some outstanding passes, helped turn the Rangers around and helped breathe life into a dying team, but he didn't give to charities or kiss little kids or whatever so he's not a true Ranger.

and some people are calling him a brat? i guess? don't worry, i feel like i'm taking crazy pills too.
I'd venture a guess that Jagr did plenty of charity work when he was in New York...Not sure anyone will ever measure up with Adam Graves but I'm not sure how this has any relevance here. Again, it's just another example of when people don't like someone or something they find any way they possibly can to knock it.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:45 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I'd venture a guess that Jagr did plenty of charity work when he was in New York...Not sure anyone will ever measure up with Adam Graves but I'm not sure how this has any relevance here. Again, it's just another example of when people don't like someone or something they find any way they possibly can to knock it.
And they probably forget it was Jagr who made a personal phone call to the Rangers to inform them of Cherepanov's death.

Or that he just thanked the organization for giving him a chance when people thought he was done as a player in 24/7

The guy was a beast for this team. Hell we could use him this year

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Ice Hockey

lol @ the jagr hate. pathetic. show a little respect for a guy who turned this team around

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
exactly. Jagr did plenty here while he was in New York, not saying hes greater or lesser than Graves, but people make it seem like he sat around sucking up a paycheck. It's mind boggling the arguments people come up with to try to make a "point"

Old
12-30-2011, 07:36 PM
mucker*

Jagr is a jerk, and aside from AO, he is the 2nd most player I hate in sports.
He is a selfish sell out and an immature man child.

He ruined his legacy in Pittsburgh, claiming he was "dying alive" and demanded a trade. Until Mario unretired, he was like 40th in the league in scoring in 2000, then he came and won the title, proof that he was truly tanking.

Washington asked him to back check, and he outed and terrible there.
He came to the Rangers, broke the record, and the mostly sulked.
He refused to be in shoot outs, his final season he got bored and did nothing, until March and April when he "felt like it."

He then went to the KHL, because earning more money mattered more than a cup.

Then, this summer, he did the worst offense. He claimed he would love to go back to Pittsburgh, that his heart was there, and if Mario asked he'd play for the minimum.
Pens offered him 2 million, he waffled, he made off both the Pens and the Red Wings furious (very few players are able to anger the Red Wings), then took an extra million to play in Philly, then blame Penguins management claiming he felt unwanted and his style would not fit.

He then wonders why every NHL team he played for, their fans boo and hate him. This is why, he is an immature, irresponsible man child, and I am sorry he ever played for my team.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipowitz84 View Post

He ruined his legacy in Pittsburgh, claiming he was "dying alive" and demanded a trade. Until Mario unretired, he was like 40th in the league in scoring in 2000, then he came and won the title, proof that he was truly tanking.

He refused to be in shoot outs, his final season he got bored and did nothing, until March and April when he "felt like it."

Then, this summer, he did the worst offense. He claimed he would love to go back to Pittsburgh, that his heart was there, and if Mario asked he'd play for the minimum.
Pens offered him 2 million, he waffled, he made off both the Pens and the Red Wings furious (very few players are able to anger the Red Wings), then took an extra million to play in Philly, then blame Penguins management claiming he felt unwanted and his style would not fit.

He then wonders why every NHL team he played for, their fans boo and hate him. This is why, he is an immature, irresponsible man child, and I am sorry he ever played for my team.
You've made some excellent truthful points about Jagr that some people have chosen not to remember. I've always said that he is one of the five most talented players ever and his numbers have been terrific throughout his career but he did in fact burn some bridges in his departures from the Pens and Caps.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:07 PM
livewell68

Quote:

I'm not even going to get into his stints with Pittsburgh and Washington but what you wrote about his time in New York is simply stupid and revisionist history on your part.

So Jagr said he didn't like shootouts in New York yet he did participate in them when asked upon. He wasn't the one that would opt out. He simply felt he wasn't good on shootouts and felt a better player was suited for that. Is that such a terrible crime?

His final season he got bored? Let me ask you something and please answer me this. What really matters? That Jagr wins the Art Ross or plays at his very best in the playoffs?

Jagr gave the Rangers all he had in the playoffs and gave them a chance despite the Rangers as a team being completely overmatched by the Penguins. Jagr for all his boredom still led that awful Rangers' offense in scoring. He was 36. What was he supposed to do? Go for 100 Pts and then flame out come playoff time? Did he perpetrate an unforgivable crime because he was pacing himself knowing that his "older body" might tire out come playoff time?

Was it Jagr's fault that Sather went and got 2 very useless, overpaid, 2nd line centers to center Jagr? Their style didn't mesh with Jagr's. Jagr gets all the blame for that but Drury and Gomez get a pass?

All you are doing is basically taking things that are very small and blowing them out of proportion. Despite Jagr only scoring 71 Pts in 2007-08, he still gave the Rangers a chance to win night in night out; commanding double teams, the opposing teams' tough defensive shadowing, assignments and if the "other" Rangers including Shanahan were good enough, they should have thrived with that opportunity and scored with all that open ice and opportunities against lesser defense that Jagr created for them. Instead what did Gomez, Drury and Shanahan and the rest of the team do? Absolutely nothing, that's what they did. Jagr is not like these trained, brainwashed, "say the right thing" kind of leaders. He didn't talk in cliches and he always spoke his mind, he was honest and sometimes what he said wasn't exactly what he was supposed to say but he said itregardless. Ask any of the current Rangers that played with Jagr in 2007-08 and all will say that Jagr was the most caring player about the Rangers' success. People like you wanted a Stanley Cup from Jagr but Jagr did his part, the rest of the team and the organization didn't give him the pieces to lead that team to the Cup.

In 2007-08 Jagr scored 15 Pts in 10 games including 8 Pts in 5 games against the Penguins in the second round. He was unstoppable on almost every shift in that series, constantly creating chances. What did you want him to do? Play in net, play all defensive positions and play on all 4 lines? The guy played flat out dominant. So he didn't check and didn't fit the mold of "the so called Blue collar" player like Callahan does now but in the last 15 years, not one single Rangers player was as dominant as Jagr was in his time in New York.

If people like you want to revise your history and nitpick every single thing that Jagr said or did (which has been completely overblown and spun negatively to suit their arguments) then you guys never deserved to have Jagr on your team at all.

Jagr scored 290 Pts in the 3 full seasons he played in New York in just 246 games. He almost averaged 100 Pts (97 to be exact) in his time there. He was a + 68 in 3 seasons. His playoff numbers were also very good outside of his 2005-06 playoff where he played with a dislocated shoulder in 3 games only registering 1 assist.

He had 27 Pts overall in 23 games but if you look at his 2 full playoff runs (2006-07 and 2007-08) he scored 26 Pts in 20 games which is a 107 Pts clip over an NHL season.

Jagr was a real leader in Ndew York, played some of his best hockey there and was a warrior in the playoffs. Never took a game off, didn't miss a single game in the 3 regular seasons and actually only technically missed 1 playoff game.

What more did you want from him? The saddest part about all this is that New York fans aren't grateful for this.

As for his signing with the Flyers. Jagr didn't take the Flyers offer because they offered him 1 million more. That's the story that the Pittsburgh media and organization created to save face and throw the blame on Jagr instead of taking accountability for it. It was easier to rehash the same old, tired story of "Jagr just being Jagr, being immature and going where the money is" and of course the fans are going to believe this because there is absolutely no way that Jagr could have matured in the last 10 years. T here were at the end about a dozen teams that were ultimately interested in Jagr including some that "actually" offered "more" than what the Flyers offered.

Jagr was coming back not to sail into the sunset take a 3rd line role and be retired as a Penguin only because "it was the right thing to do". He wanted to have one more run at the Cup and he wanted to be an impact player and an integral part of that Cup run and he saw the Flyers as the best fit. If Jagr is such a bad guy, how come none of these stories of him being lazy, a locker room cancer, over the hill and a selfish player are being talked about in Philadelphia? Everyone knows that the Philly sports media can be very tough on athletes especially ones that don't play well or are the opposite of what it is to be a Philly area athlete. The Flyers media would have jumped on that story like hawks if Jagr really was "that guy". In fact most media outlouts in hockey were quick to write Jagr off, they were claiming that he couldn't keep up with the pace of this "New, faster NHL" and that he would prove eventually that he came back to collect one last big paycheck.

Guess what? None of that has been true. Guess what else? This hard working, hard training, caring, selfless, religious, fit, motivated and great version of Jagr was also the same one that showed up in New York.

Last edited by livewell68: 12-30-2011 at 10:20 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I miss Jagr and the fact that he didn't do the salute as a Ranger.

Last edited by Jabroni: 12-30-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I love how jags6868 is in every Jagr thread EVER.

You must have google alerts set up for Jaromir, no?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Kershaw

If Jagr was North American, people wouldn't be as hard on him I bet.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
If Jagr was North American, people wouldn't be as hard on him I bet.
your avatar makes it hard to type with both hands.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Who is that chick.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Who is that chick.
i have no idea, but she's a treat

Old
12-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Kershaw

Paulina Gretzky.

Back on topic, here is a video of Jagr's powerplay goals:

Good times....

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
lmfao awesome. A lot of good points made here about Jagr and his attitude and all the negative things in pitt and wash and even his return. That being said I really think Jagr turned this organization around and led us to 100 pts with an at best average team where we should have won the division, not to mention he got screwed out of the Hart trophy. I got nothing bad to say about him as a Ranger, everyone is entitiled to their opinion, but I loved Jagr and once he is no longer a flyer, I can happily wear my liberty Jagr C jersey again.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Paulina Gretzky.

Back on topic, here is a video of Jagr's powerplay goals:

Good times....
sheeet i was gunna say that but wasn't 100% sure. i just saw her in that Gretzky christmas card

Old
12-31-2011, 01:33 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

shes a catch. gretzky can do no wrong.

Old
12-31-2011, 06:13 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I'm not even going to get into his stints with Pittsburgh and Washington but what you wrote about his time in New York is simply stupid and revisionist history on your part.

So Jagr said he didn't like shootouts in New York yet he did participate in them when asked upon. He wasn't the one that would opt out. He simply felt he wasn't good on shootouts and felt a better player was suited for that. Is that such a terrible crime?

His final season he got bored? Let me ask you something and please answer me this. What really matters? That Jagr wins the Art Ross or plays at his very best in the playoffs?

Jagr gave the Rangers all he had in the playoffs and gave them a chance despite the Rangers as a team being completely overmatched by the Penguins. Jagr for all his boredom still led that awful Rangers' offense in scoring. He was 36. What was he supposed to do? Go for 100 Pts and then flame out come playoff time? Did he perpetrate an unforgivable crime because he was pacing himself knowing that his "older body" might tire out come playoff time?

Was it Jagr's fault that Sather went and got 2 very useless, overpaid, 2nd line centers to center Jagr? Their style didn't mesh with Jagr's. Jagr gets all the blame for that but Drury and Gomez get a pass?

All you are doing is basically taking things that are very small and blowing them out of proportion. Despite Jagr only scoring 71 Pts in 2007-08, he still gave the Rangers a chance to win night in night out; commanding double teams, the opposing teams' tough defensive shadowing, assignments and if the "other" Rangers including Shanahan were good enough, they should have thrived with that opportunity and scored with all that open ice and opportunities against lesser defense that Jagr created for them. Instead what did Gomez, Drury and Shanahan and the rest of the team do? Absolutely nothing, that's what they did. Jagr is not like these trained, brainwashed, "say the right thing" kind of leaders. He didn't talk in cliches and he always spoke his mind, he was honest and sometimes what he said wasn't exactly what he was supposed to say but he said itregardless. Ask any of the current Rangers that played with Jagr in 2007-08 and all will say that Jagr was the most caring player about the Rangers' success. People like you wanted a Stanley Cup from Jagr but Jagr did his part, the rest of the team and the organization didn't give him the pieces to lead that team to the Cup.

In 2007-08 Jagr scored 15 Pts in 10 games including 8 Pts in 5 games against the Penguins in the second round. He was unstoppable on almost every shift in that series, constantly creating chances. What did you want him to do? Play in net, play all defensive positions and play on all 4 lines? The guy played flat out dominant. So he didn't check and didn't fit the mold of "the so called Blue collar" player like Callahan does now but in the last 15 years, not one single Rangers player was as dominant as Jagr was in his time in New York.

If people like you want to revise your history and nitpick every single thing that Jagr said or did (which has been completely overblown and spun negatively to suit their arguments) then you guys never deserved to have Jagr on your team at all.

Jagr scored 290 Pts in the 3 full seasons he played in New York in just 246 games. He almost averaged 100 Pts (97 to be exact) in his time there. He was a + 68 in 3 seasons. His playoff numbers were also very good outside of his 2005-06 playoff where he played with a dislocated shoulder in 3 games only registering 1 assist.

He had 27 Pts overall in 23 games but if you look at his 2 full playoff runs (2006-07 and 2007-08) he scored 26 Pts in 20 games which is a 107 Pts clip over an NHL season.

Jagr was a real leader in Ndew York, played some of his best hockey there and was a warrior in the playoffs. Never took a game off, didn't miss a single game in the 3 regular seasons and actually only technically missed 1 playoff game.

What more did you want from him? The saddest part about all this is that New York fans aren't grateful for this.

As for his signing with the Flyers. Jagr didn't take the Flyers offer because they offered him 1 million more. That's the story that the Pittsburgh media and organization created to save face and throw the blame on Jagr instead of taking accountability for it. It was easier to rehash the same old, tired story of "Jagr just being Jagr, being immature and going where the money is" and of course the fans are going to believe this because there is absolutely no way that Jagr could have matured in the last 10 years. T here were at the end about a dozen teams that were ultimately interested in Jagr including some that "actually" offered "more" than what the Flyers offered.

Jagr was coming back not to sail into the sunset take a 3rd line role and be retired as a Penguin only because "it was the right thing to do". He wanted to have one more run at the Cup and he wanted to be an impact player and an integral part of that Cup run and he saw the Flyers as the best fit. If Jagr is such a bad guy, how come none of these stories of him being lazy, a locker room cancer, over the hill and a selfish player are being talked about in Philadelphia? Everyone knows that the Philly sports media can be very tough on athletes especially ones that don't play well or are the opposite of what it is to be a Philly area athlete. The Flyers media would have jumped on that story like hawks if Jagr really was "that guy". In fact most media outlouts in hockey were quick to write Jagr off, they were claiming that he couldn't keep up with the pace of this "New, faster NHL" and that he would prove eventually that he came back to collect one last big paycheck.

Guess what? None of that has been true. Guess what else? This hard working, hard training, caring, selfless, religious, fit, motivated and great version of Jagr was also the same one that showed up in New York.
My statement is 100% right on Jagr. He played when and only when he wanted to.
He was downright awful his last season, until the end when he "felt" like playing.

He is a selfish, immature man child, and there is a reason every former team he has played for boos him. HE is truly excellent at making people hate him, and for good reason.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
livewell68

Quote:
He was downright awful his last season, until the end when he "felt" like playing.

He is a selfish, immature man child, and there is a reason every former team he has played for boos him. HE is truly excellent at making people hate him, and for good reason.
That's a bit harsh. If Jagr was so awful, what about the rest of that Rangers team? Jagr still scored more than them.

Did Jagr kill your dog or something? You seem bitter about a hockey player. Did he do something to you?

Are you a Penguins fans in disguise? Go ask the Rangers players yourself, including former Ranger Shanahan about what they thought about Jagr. I bet they will have nothing but good things to say about him. In fact Lundqvist who is the most popular Rangers player said Jagr was an amazing teammate and he has remained friends with him.

Your posts show you to be the immature man child. Get over yourself.

His 3 years served as a Ranger were more dominant than any other Ranger ever. Find me a Ranger that scored 290 Pts over 3 years like Jagr did.

If Jagr was so bad, I doubt there would have been a thread about the possibilities or retiring his jersey in New York which was discussed on here back in 2008.

If you're going to hate on Jagr in 2007-08 then you better hate on ever single Ranger that season other than Lundqvist. Gomez, Drury, Prucha, Shanahan.... were all awful.

Jagr wasn't as dominant as years past but awful he was not.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Just Lurking

Quote:

I think you pretty much nailed it.

Jagr all but admitted to dogging it his last season, so he would "have gas left in the tank" come playoff time. But, if he had performed near his career average, a clause would have kicked in on his contract for another season. (Of course, this shouldn't even have been an issue, except that the Canadian media gave Jagr's MVP to Thorton, which also would have activated that clause in the contract). The Rangers had a great deal on Jagr's pre-lockout contract being grandfathered, and only counting half value against the cap (since Washington was paying the other half of his salary).

Did I mention he was supposed to be the team's captain at the time? What kind of leader deliberately holds back their best effort?

There is no way to prove or disprove it, but my feeling is that after he saw some of the other contracts around the league (i.e. - Drury/Gomez to name a couple), the baby decided he should be paid more, and made sure to not achieve any of the clauses in his contract. Thats why he took the money and ran to Russia.

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Wounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
-Making the playoffs and not having any reasonable chance to do anything there is not respectable. It's called mediocre, or barely above that, and it only delays the rebuilding process for bad teams like the Rangers were.

-The Rangers were never contenders when Jagr was here. They had one season as an above average club, 2006-07.

-The Rangers could have been where they are today several years ago if they had never acquired Jagr at all. You know, like a rebuilding team might have done. Jagr's presence here essentially delayed the inevitable and probably cost us several year's of Lundqvist's career. Jagr's presence cost us a chance to draft in the top 3-4 for a season or two.

-Jagr never played defense, routinely took his time skating leisurely back to the bench after shifts while opposing teams got odd man rushes against. This happened virtually every game and a bunch of goals against every year were a result of that.

-The fact that the Rangers single season goal record belongs to a guy who got it in a season where scoring was ridiculously inflated sucks. Yeah, Jagr scored 56 goals the way Gomez scored 33 and Gionta scored 48. Give me a ****ing break.

-The team's "success" because of Jagr, and the resulting delusions about the team's greatness, spurred them to sign Gomez and Drury.

-Jagr didn't look anywhere near as good in 2007-08 as he does this season, but he wanted a ******** of money to stay, anyway. Remember how he didn't feel he could properly assume his role as a leader of a team unless he was paid like one, or whatever ******** he said?

Jagr is a great player, arguably the greatest European player of all-time. Watching him play was enjoyable, but his presence here did more harm than good for this franchise. His presence here allowed Sather to continue destroying this team, and if it weren't for Bob Gainey agreeing to make one of the worst moves in the history of the league, the Rangers would still be in the nightmarish scenario that stemmed from Jagr and his time with the club.

And, once again, I can't stand when this team gets hated players from huge rivals. I don't want to see guys I have a deep-seeded hatred for skating in Ranger sweaters. I want to beat those players. I didn't want Lindros, I didn't want Holik, I didn't want Kasparaitis, I didn't want Jagr, I didn't want Gomez. Get your own damn players! I don't care how good they are. I don't want Parise, either. I want New York Rangers!
Yeah! And if Lundqvist had not been in the lineup those three seasons, there would probably be also no play-off and you could have been so happy! And imagine, there would have been no Lundqvist at all. So many non play-off seasons! So many seasons with being among 5 worst teams. Oh, that would be so great!

Wounded is offline   Reply With Quote