HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Are the Bruins the toughest team?

Old
12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
pigeonsonpopcorn

vCash: 500
Are the Bruins the toughest team?

Hi guys, are the Bruins the toughest team in the league? Or if not what team is?

pigeonsonpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:09 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
subjective- but they are rigth up there mentally tough, and that counts more than physically (which they aren't bad in either)

collectively they are strong group that would show up near the top on each of the two lists in most knowledgeable observers

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Yes, hands down.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:24 PM
MetM

I'd say yes, mentally they are pretty confident since the end of last year.
They have some tough guys also physically. Then all the team plays tougher as they know they have each other's back.

MetM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Well since the Pens for whatever stupid reason aren't playing SmackIntyre I'd have to say yes.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
ponder

Yes. Not necessarily the scariest enforcers (their best fighter is Shawn Thornton), but the most toughness top to bottom, for sure. Almost every player on the team will fight, play physically, and generally not back down from conflict.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:36 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

Yes easily. But if pens dressed macintyre it would be very close. Of course, Mac can't play a lick and doesn't belon in line up anyway but he sure is big and can punch

I suspect he will b BUT confidence is huge in fighters, a little curious to see if englennd quite as tough after scott beat his a$$.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Yankwood

**** them...

Yankwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:47 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
**** them...
Why so mad...

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

Yup. Wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs again. 0_o

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:53 AM
smitty10

Yes.

Boston is the toughest team mentally and physically. With a captain like Chara and guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Campbell, Paille, etc. they're not going to get pushed around too often. Boston is the team that NHL GM's are hired to build. If they had been able to keep Kessel I think they could have been hands down the best team of this generation, but they really lack that sniper they can count on to score 30+ goals per year without question (I think he could put up 45+ per year playing with Krejci + Lucic). That being said, that was a salary cap issue and this is likely the best possible team that can be built under the cap.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:57 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Yup. Wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs again. 0_o
They're a team that are built for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the cup again this year.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Yes.

Boston is the toughest team mentally and physically. With a captain like Chara and guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Campbell, Paille, etc. they're not going to get pushed around too often. Boston is the team that NHL GM's are hired to build. If they had been able to keep Kessel I think they could have been hands down the best team of this generation, but they really lack that sniper they can count on to score 30+ goals per year without question (I think he could put up 45+ per year playing with Krejci + Lucic). That being said, that was a salary cap issue and this is likely the best possible team that can be built under the cap.
Funny thing is they've got 7 million to spend this year (if you put Savard on LTIR) but I don't think you want to mess with what they have right now unless an injury pops up.

As for the question, I'd say yes but I am definitely biased.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
**** them...
Love them?

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

The thing with the Bruins is that they are tough on the top 6 and top 4 D. The 20 minute players are tough and that is what sets them apart.

Old
12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
The thing with the Bruins is that they are tough on the top 6 and top 4 D. The 20 minute players are tough and that is what sets them apart.
/ thread.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:13 AM
TCL40

I think they are tough mentally and physically. I think it helps that they have a real team mentality-they also have enough willing and ready fighters that at any given point on the ice there is likely going to be a Bruins who will step in for a teammate if necessary.

I don't necessarily think they have the best fighters though. They have guys willing to fight, but some of them are really awful (Campbell). But sometimes I think it is enough that other teams just know they are going to play tough and stick up for each other even if it means taking a penalty or losing the fight.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think they are tough mentally and physically. I think it helps that they have a real team mentality-they also have enough willing and ready fighters that at any given point on the ice there is likely going to be a Bruins who will step in for a teammate if necessary.

I don't necessarily think they have the best fighters though. They have guys willing to fight, but some of them are really awful (Campbell). But sometimes I think it is enough that other teams just know they are going to play tough and stick up for each other even if it means taking a penalty or losing the fight.
Campbell has been getting better. but he is like the 6th or 7th down the Fight chain in Boston...In washington that is Semin territory.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:56 AM
luongo321

Pretty sure Lucic can hold his own against 5 Canucks on the ice.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I completely agree with this, there are teams who can match the toughness on the 3rd and 4th line, but I can't think of any team who can match their top 2 lines as well.

Thomas is also one of, if not the toughest goaltenders in the league.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I completely agree with this, there are teams who can match the toughness on the 3rd and 4th line, but I can't think of any team who can match their top 2 lines as well.

Thomas is also one of, if not the toughest goaltenders in the league.
Thomas is one of the handful of mentally tough goaltenders in the league- physically, he's old and would get killed but where it matters he's not getting rattled

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:25 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

My answer would be yes, they are.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:26 PM
mcsauer2738

Yes, and what is interesting is the top 2 teams in the east are quite tough. The Rangers Bruins match up is going to be a gritty 60 minute battle hockey wise and toughness wise. The Rangers go 3 deep with "Good" fighters with Rupp, Prust and Bickel. The Bruins have 4 "Good" fighters with Chara, Lucic, Thornton and McQuaid. Then the Rangers have Callahan and Dubi who will drop them when pissed and are actually pretty decent fighters and Girardi who rarely drops them but can really throw them. The Bruins 2nd crop of fighters is also decent with Horton, Campbell, Boychuk.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Say No to Oshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
They're a team that are built for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the cup again this year.
Favorite post in this thread

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:25 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Yes, and what is interesting is the top 2 teams in the east are quite tough. The Rangers Bruins match up is going to be a gritty 60 minute battle hockey wise and toughness wise. The Rangers go 3 deep with "Good" fighters with Rupp, Prust and Bickel. The Bruins have 4 "Good" fighters with Chara, Lucic, Thornton and McQuaid. Then the Rangers have Callahan and Dubi who will drop them when pissed and are actually pretty decent fighters and Girardi who rarely drops them but can really throw them. The Bruins 2nd crop of fighters is also decent with Horton, Campbell, Boychuk.
The Rangers aren't in the same class as the Bruins as far as toughness. The Bruins have 3 guys who can fight top-flight heavyweights and win, whereas the Rangers have Rupp who can win on occasion vs heavy's and Prust and Bickel which are in the next tier.

Ottawa is the team that could probably best match up with the Bruins with Carkner, Konopka, Smith and Neil, and even then, they're overmatched. If Toronto played all of the tough guys on the roster, they could do OK, but don't have the depth.

Pittsburgh if they played MacIntyre would do OK as well, but again, no other team has the depth.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote